Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

SlothfulCobra posted:

There's visual complexity in the fights, but without narrative complexity, they're just kinda fancy dances with lots of movement and color. The whole problem is exacerbated by the tendency of the 'fancier' fights to go full DBZ and ignore the more understandable martial arts in favor of flying around firing lasers, so there's not really a grounding in anything, just impossibly high powered people slinging impossible power around, and you hope that the one you're rooting for has the higher power level.

Sad thing is that even while it's credited with inventing zwee-fighting and hand laser battles, but even Dragon Ball has always known how to give fights weight and makes them arcs in themselves. A key thing with shonen fights in general is that they're clashes of personality as much as anything, which TLA definitely understands in its setpiece battles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011
I think Unalaq is a good example of the sort of stuff some of the people here are talking about : what should be the big emotional fights, against Tonraq and Korra, are kind of boring, whereas I find his filler fight against Mako and Bolin to be the most interesting of the bunch, showcasing how fluid he can be in countering then attacking.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've just had a thought about The Owl house, regarding possible Glyphs - The Abomination glyph may be on the sole on an abomination's foot - they are very similar to palismans in that they are created by witches to aid them, although abominations are temporary while palismans are permanent. Maybe the magic works the same way, so has the glyph placed the same as a palisman's interlock.

Also an interesting Last airbender thing that I hadn't noticed - at the end of the fight with Azula, Katara learns a firebending trick that she combines with her waterbending to take her down the same way Iroh merged Waterbending's flow with his firebending to shoot lightning - she uses her breath to thaw her ice the same way Iroh used his to Firebend while her and Azula are trapped in the ice blast that she creates, so that she can move within it without freeing Azula.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Sep 26, 2020

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
I watched ATLA earlier during quarantine and, having knocked out Joe Pera Talks With You and Breaking Bad since then, I'm ready to do Korra now. I just watched the first two episodes. Early impressions:

- I like Korra. Personality-wise, she's kind of like if season-one Sokka was a buff lady avatar.
- I thought the way it worked was that avatars have trouble mastering the element opposite to their base element (earth vs air, fire vs water). I guess the way Tenzin(?) described it being about personality instead also makes sense.
- It's weird not having a group dynamic. I feel like the bender bros are being set up for that, but they're super bland so I hope I'm wrong. I can't imagine she won't build a group of companions; how fun they are will be a big determining factor in how much I like the show.
- Point in Korra's favor that the first thing she wants to do upon reaching the big city is sneak out to watch Monday Night Raw Everynight Pro Bending.
- This is really heavy on the action so far. It looks pretty good, and it's not jarring since the last stuff I watched in this universe was, well, a lot of action scenes, but it definitely feels very different from the start of ATLA.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Trebuchet King posted:

The villains are also just a shitton of fun--imagine every villain in Miraculous was on the Mime's level and that's the kind of consistency I feel BH6 has.
I can't vouch for the Miraculous thing, but yeah, I also find that the villains are one of the strong suits of this series. Especially the contrast provided in season 1 by the rather serious big bad and his two heaviest hitters who are silly and goofy but still very dangerous. I just can't see the words "YEE-HAW" and not hear it in Noodle Burger Boy's jingle.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Finished my ATLA rewatch. I could ramble for paragraphs upon paragraphs, but ultimately... it's a really nice cartoon about family, friendship and being yourself. A century and a half to mend the friendship of The Avatar And The Firelord.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Swat Kats Revolution posted an update for the first time in two years. Basically they're still pitching it and stuff like CATS bombing at the box office actually made it harder for them to pitch it to networks: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1820796125/swat-kats-revolution/posts/2901724

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Zuko has the perfect whiny tone in the beach. There's no real way around it, figuring out that having everything you thought you ever wanted doesn't make you happy is a sad and pathetic experience.

I'm nearly up to the Day of Black Sun, and I like that as many similarities there are between Aang and Zuko (Aang briefly turned into Zuko at the beginning of the season), Zuko sends all his anxiety and stress inward and tries to hide it, while Aang can't keep anything bottled up for long, and his stress and anxiety gets wacky and extroverted. Zuko gets dragons symbolically lecturing him, Aang gets anime dreams and Usagi Mojimbo hallucinations.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Welp, I dunno what bug got up Virgin Media's arse about it but they pulled the condemned Disney Channels off UK TV a day early.

Alas poor Fox Kids, we hardly knew yee.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

In regards to the upcoming Animaniacs reboot, it appears a few secondary characters might have gotten cut:

https://www.denofgeek.com/tv/hulu-animaniacs-reboot-new-theme-song/?amp

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Wouldn't be surprised if they cut a few characters who didn't really have anything they hadn't already done.

Wondering what a more modern-retro take on Slappy would be like... thought of a washed-up 80s toyline cartoon hero, but wait, that's basically Venture Bros.

...grumpy grandma My Little Pony? poo poo, that might work.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Larryb posted:

In regards to the upcoming Animaniacs reboot, it appears a few secondary characters might have gotten cut:

https://www.denofgeek.com/tv/hulu-animaniacs-reboot-new-theme-song/?amp
I’m sure they feel they won’t be able to avoid it, but I don’t want any stupid Trump appearances making GBS threads up the show. I think I’m done seeing him featured in every cartoon satire show over the past 4 years and hoping to not have to ever think about him again starting in January.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It makes sense to cut characters, but it also makes sense to add characters, because it's not like the original Animaniacs was particularly rigid or anything. That's what's always weird to me about reviving a show like that. It was just a collection of mostly unrelated vignettes to begin with, and it feels weird to treat it as an immutable mold for casting new shows just for the sake of bringing back the old characters. In fact, it's a little weird that Animaniacs and Tiny Toons didn't get absorbed into Looney Tunes as it continued to try to renew itself.

There's a lot less short-form shows with episodes less than 10 minutes long or framing devices that there used to be, but I still think there's room for them. Not sure how the whole pop culture focus will work out though, I get the sense that it'll have a real air of being out of touch. I think there's a whole thing where those kinds of references don't work so well after TV broadened to the point that there aren't a small collection of references that will resonate with everyone.

JazzFlight posted:

I’m sure they feel they won’t be able to avoid it, but I don’t want any stupid Trump appearances making GBS threads up the show. I think I’m done seeing him featured in every cartoon satire show over the past 4 years and hoping to not have to ever think about him again starting in January.

Every fuckin' idiot thinks that they've got the perfect Trump joke, but the underlying truth of all of them is that we stand on the brink of fascist autocracy (or a couple feet over the brink, but there's still a chance within eyeshot of clawing our way back to some kind of more hopeful situation) with ever-shrinking rights and thousands of people dying, and there's no humor that can take away the stress of that situation.

If it's some kind of satirical news show, I've already consented to deal with the stress of remembering how America could be dead come January, but otherwise I just really don't wanna deal with that and see more media buzz with the same unintended consequences of all the other media buzz.

SlothfulCobra fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Sep 30, 2020

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Kill the part of you that's afraid and post in cspam. That said, there is no Trump joke better than the man himself.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I think political comedy just doesn't work anymore. Being a corrupt weird-looking idiot with too much money is part of The Brand, in a society where Brands are the most important thing.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

T-man posted:

Kill the part of you that's afraid and post in cspam. That said, there is no Trump joke better than the man himself.

Don't deliberately kill parts of yourself. That's effectively self harm. If you like constant nihilism and dark humour, that's fine, but it is not for everyone and shouldn't ever be.

mycot posted:

I think political comedy just doesn't work anymore. Being a corrupt weird-looking idiot with too much money is part of The Brand, in a society where Brands are the most important thing.

Political comedy as a medium of humour (rather than as a political attack) really only works when the side making the jokes is acting in good faith and the said being joked about can react to it similarly. It requires a level of :decorum: on both sides for it to be funny in a way that isn't just straight up being an rear end in a top hat or demeaning the subject (which is why conservative comedy fails). Mind, some people like being assholes and making comedy of that tone, and okay. But then those people are assholes and they can get bent.

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Sep 30, 2020

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Which Looney Toons are accelerationists

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

mycot posted:

Speedy Gonzalez, Slowpoke Rodriguez and that loving Roadrunner.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

mycot posted:

Marvin the Martian, he always wants to blow up the Earth.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Tasmanian Devil is a trotskyite

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Didn't know what to check after Owl House, so I started the new Ducktales and it owns.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

SlothfulCobra posted:

In fact, it's a little weird that Animaniacs and Tiny Toons didn't get absorbed into Looney Tunes as it continued to try to renew itself.

From what I've heard Steven Spielberg has partial ownership of the Animaniacs and Tiny Toons characters so they can't use them in Looney Tunes without paying him.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

Didn't know what to check after Owl House, so I started the new Ducktales and it owns.

You've been missing out if you only got to the new Ducktales now.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

i liked animaniacs back in the day, and i'd be totally fine with them axing a bunch of characters, because let's be real, at least a third of them sucked. i'd personally get rid of:

- minerva mink
- the hippos
- rita and runt
- buttons and mindy
- the annoying sally beaman kid
- the mime
- chicken boo

and none of you can change my mind :colbert:

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Update the Goodfeathers into the Irishfeathers.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Funky Valentine posted:

Update the Goodfeathers into the Irishfeathers.

Beaky Blinders

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Just remake Yakuza cutscenes with pigeons

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Also the heat actions.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Finished season two of The Legend of Korra last night.

- I thought the first season ended kind of abruptly, but overall, I really enjoyed it and felt like it was a worthy successor to ATLA. A bit of a downgrade, but in the same ballpark of quality at least.
- This second season though, woof. It felt like they had twice the ambition and a quarter of the budget. I think I remember hearing that Korra was originally planned as a one-season miniseries, and that makes a lot of sense to me. This plot just didn't feel that well thought-out and the animation was super uneven, like they were scrambling to figure out where they were going half the time.
- In terms of characters, I still like Korra as the lead. Maybe this is a controversial opinion, but Aang was the member of the original Team Avatar who annoyed me the most frequently with his (realistic) childishness. Korra often annoys me with her (realistic) teenagerness, but I don't hold it against her that she's flawed. Just like Aang, I think it makes her a more interesting protagonist and her occasional idiot moments aren't frequent enough to make her unsympathetic (although it was definitely worse in the second season). I also love that she's kind of like if Toph were the avatar in terms of her mentality and general brute-force approach to life.
- I was worried after the very start of the show that Mako and Bolin would stick around. Bolin has grown on me a lot, though. The boy is a himbo through and through, and that's fun. He also gets a lot of good asides in. Mako, though, just suuuuuuuuuuuuucks. He's a vacuum of charisma and kind of a dick. The idea of bender brothers is kind of fun and has led to some good fight scenes, but I want to groan every time this generic gently caress is onscreen.
- Poor Asami. I hope she gets some time to shine in the back half of this show, because goddamn, virtually every character beat she gets over the first two season involves her life getting worse. Her father's a traitor and tries to kill her, her boyfriend is consistently unfaithful, her family's company collapses and she's manipulated into losing it to a war profiteer, jesus christ. Through it all, she's basically the picture of grace and willing to be a chauffeur for these people who keep screwing her over for the greater good.
- When the second season started and it became clear that the water tribes would be central to the story, I was excited because I thought Katara would have more involvement. Nope.
- That said, I was DELIGHTED by Uncle Iroh's cameos in the spirit world.
- Unalaq was the weakest major villain the show has ever had, by far. Even Commander Zhao had more going on than this guy.
- There were some excellent episodes in the second season, and I'm committed to finishing the show, but I understand why so many Avatar fans think this one's a big downgrade. Season one of Korra had some things that were better than season one of Avtar and some things that were worse; season two was pretty much across-the-board worse.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The second half of Korra is where the show actually gets good in my opinion.

Off the subject, since they appear to be jettisoning a lot of the side cast I’m curious if the new Animaniacs show will actually make some new characters to do shorts about in that case.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
I've been watching clips of Phineas and Ferb recently and I wondered what peoples opinion on Dr Doofenschmirtz is. I really thinks he's funny.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

MonsieurChoc posted:

It does, doesn’t it?

If you’re looking for other stuff, Amphibia is also cool and good.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Mycroft Holmes posted:

I've been watching clips of Phineas and Ferb recently and I wondered what peoples opinion on Dr Doofenschmirtz is. I really thinks he's funny.

He's a very likeable character who has a satisfying ending to his family arcs with his daughter and his parents

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Mycroft Holmes posted:

Doof is one of the great comedy characters of the 20th century. The Invisinator gag is all-time.

https://twitter.com/RedlineSSB/status/1306643025200848898

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

We can't forget the amazing time he sleep-invented three seemingly useless -inators. That was brilliant.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

yeah doofenschmirtz rules

occasionally i feel like his spiels go on a little TOO long, but overall he's a great character

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Doofenschmirtz's tragic backstory was always my favorite part of phineas and ferb

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

ninjewtsu posted:

Doofenschmirtz's tragic backstory was always my favorite part of phineas and ferb

I love that his issues with his parents culminate in him trying one final time to reconnect with his father, and giving up after his obscenely thoughtful gift is belittled- then his father realising too late precisely what that gift really meant, now that he's lost his son forever. He'll never be able to reconnect with him now that he wants to, and it's all his fault. Heinz has no obligation to try any harder than he has, and he has now realised that.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011
He was raised by Ocelots!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Yvonmukluk posted:

It does, doesn’t it?

If you’re looking for other stuff, Amphibia is also cool and good.

Duly noted!

I was about tow rite I like Lena but realized I like all the characters.