Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I got the electromagnetic generator recipe. It looks like I'm only allowed to build base parts up to ~300u from my base computer though (with another 100u of fudge room beyond that) and the power hotspot is 430u away. Is there something I need to build out to extend my construction range?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Thundarr posted:

I got the electromagnetic generator recipe. It looks like I'm only allowed to build base parts up to ~300u from my base computer though (with another 100u of fudge room beyond that) and the power hotspot is 430u away. Is there something I need to build out to extend my construction range?

Nope, gotta either build a new base or move your old one to take advantage of it disregard of course you can bug it to hell lol

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Oct 1, 2020

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I'm curious about this-- the A class looks like it has a maximum of 14 tech slots and 42 general storage slots. Is there a way to unlock the last (apparently-locked) column on A-class ships, or do S-classes not allow for a 48 storage maximum?
Once you're at 42 and go to apply another storage augment it should expand the border (which I assume is what you're looking at) out further. Same with the tech slots.

I say should because I've just been holding out for an S so I've personally done nothing to my freighter but the bare minimum.

Rob Rockley
Feb 23, 2009

Thundarr posted:

Don’t think this works anymore maybe? But there was a post about building range that worked for me previously. This is the post.

Rob Rockley fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Oct 1, 2020

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Ghostlight posted:

Once you're at 42 and go to apply another storage augment it should expand the border (which I assume is what you're looking at) out further. Same with the tech slots.

I say should because I've just been holding out for an S so I've done nothing to my freighter but the bare minimum.

I was under the perhaps-mistaken impression that the border was a hard limit, based on the fact that you can't expand the border with tech slots. If that isn't the case then that would be Good To Know

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Thundarr posted:

Walk towards the hotspot with your build menu open. As soon as it disappears take a step back until it comes back. Pop down something there, I usually put down a half arch or something similar that you can easily find and takes minimal resources. That will extend the build range. Now repeat as many times as needed until you reach your hotspot. I usually repurpose the half arches as carriers for the wires back from the hotspot as they look a little like pylons.
Your initial build range is 300u but you can extend that to 1000u in any direction from the base computer. You are creating corridors of buildability this way.
If this isn't working then put down a save beacon, save and reload and it will work as it should.

Helith fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Oct 1, 2020

Baby Proof
May 16, 2009

When the bulkhead augment was glitched I expanded my A-class freighter to 40 / 14. That's all it goes up to.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Helith posted:

Walk towards the hotspot with your build menu open. As soon as it disappears take a step back until it comes back. Pop down something there, I usually put down a half arch or something similar that you can easily find and takes minimal resources. That will extend the build range. Now repeat as many times as needed until you reach your hotspot. I usually repurpose the half arches as carriers for the wires back from the hotspot as they look a little like pylons.
Your initial build range is 300u but you can extend that to 1000u in any direction from the base computer. You are creating corridors of buildability this way.

I tried that but it didn't work, which is why I asked. I'll give it another shot, maybe I have to wait a bit before it sees the part and lets me extend the base.

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Oct 1, 2020

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Make a save and reload, it gets buggy sometimes.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Thundarr posted:

I tried that but it didn't work, which is why I asked. I'll give it another shot, maybe I have to wait a bit before it sees the party t before I can extend it.
It works...until it doesn’t, but it works.

Okay, when extending, it’s safer to go say 290u away instead of 299. And then put down whatever a little further out. Each item should create a 50u circle of buildability around it. So repeat this about every 45u instead to make sure you haven’t overstepped somewhere and messed up the chain.

Another thing to look out for is: your extended build pseudopod might stop working when you portal into your base. Everything you built in it will keep working as normal, but you will not be able to build in that extended zone anymore. Just save and reload in or around your base and it should work again.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Thanks, a reload made it work. I should have remembered that "it gets buggy sometimes" is practically this game's second name, despite how far it's come in the last four years.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Thundarr posted:

Thanks, a reload made it work. I should have remembered that "it gets buggy sometimes" is practically this game's second name, despite how far it's come in the last four years.

This is one of the biggest problems, everything feels so temperamental. Any action you do feels like it could gently caress something up in some weird way. I was close to finishing up the "scan everything on the planet quest", I think I had one more animal to find, but somehow in the process of flying to a different area on the same planet for a different quest, all of a sudden I was 5-6 items away from the animal, mineral and flora scans.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Thundarr posted:

Once you get the build menu collapsing because you hit your limit you're stuck there until you reload. It does, rarely, hit another bug that re-expands your range when you place a new thing after that... but the vast majority of the time nope. You'll eventually work out a rhythm for placing stuff so you can run multiple extraction sites without ever seeing the bug. That's the other reason I use storage depots as waypoints - you need a ton of them anyway so if you place them super frequently it's not a problem.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

And just to make sure I understood right, by vertical building you mean making a bunch of power/gas/mining extractors on the same spot, just built up into a giant tower so they aren't spread out on the ground for diminishing returns?

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Thundarr posted:

And just to make sure I understood right, by vertical building you mean making a bunch of power/gas/mining extractors on the same spot, just built up into a giant tower so they aren't spread out on the ground for diminishing returns?

Yup, they are all stackable.
Build yourself a tower/stairs so you can keep going up and easily place them on top of each other rather than trying to do it from ground level and don't forget to connect them with wires/pipes as you go.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

You should...you should probably do it more neatly than I do

These are mostly supply depots, but you can see some extractors on the side

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

StarkRavingMad posted:

You should...you should probably do it more neatly than I do

These are mostly supply depots, but you can see some extractors on the side

If I saw those in the distance, I'd probably pull out my mining laser and fire, expecting to receive cobalt.

The electromagnetic generator didn't seem like it had an especially stackable shape, but I'll give it a shot!

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Is there any sane location in-game to get solid answers on things like power consumption/max storage/generation or is that all basically a "go to the wiki" kind of deal

Thundarr posted:

The electromagnetic generator didn't seem like it had an especially stackable shape, but I'll give it a shot!

it's minecraft physics, anything is possible

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

I recently started a new save file, and in my starting galaxy I found a bio-luminescent paradise planet:

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Is there any sane location in-game to get solid answers on things like power consumption/max storage/generation or is that all basically a "go to the wiki" kind of deal

Its all a "go to the wiki" thing. Its almost like an exploration ARG mini-game, except instead of caves and oceans, you have to explore the dark, nerdy corners of the internet.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Every storage container shows fill rate, time until full, and the total space of the network. Every extractor shows that as well as its individual rate. Power is the same, with batteries showing total draw/rate and charge time, with em gens showing how much they personally are contributing. If you're talking about "How would I know that storage depots store 1000 each and portals have 50 power drain?" then yeah... wiki.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Still can't recolor my Freighter correctly :harumph:

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
I thought I had my S fighter decked out pretty well, but after building up an exotic I'm glad I switched.
Lost some damage but all the other numbers more than make up for it.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Oct 1, 2020

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
This is the first I've experienced the new storms.
Didn't use my jetpack the whole ride.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMVU_NpGvV0

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Is there some trick to surviving lightning? I got killed by “electrocution” while running around in a storm but there didn’t seem to be a bolt striking anywhere near me. On the way back to my corpse in the same storm I started taking damage again so I dug a tunnel and got electrocuted again while several meters underground, is that supposed to happen?

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

I recently finally bought NMS and I am going through some first missions that seem to function like tutorial. Is there certain point after which game tells me I know enough and I have unlocked all the basic stuff and I am free to roam and explore as I wish?

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Pretty much as soon as you jump to another system you can do whatever you want. Going through some of it will unlock stuff for zero effort tho.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

If you want to just say Screw Yo Quests I think everything can be purchased from the Anomaly and farmed from secure bases. You get a lot of that free by following the quest chains, though, and nothing in this game takes very long.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009
I'm sure this has been answered before, but how do you cheese your welfare freighter to be a capital freighter? Ignore the first encounter where you would get the normal one, and play some more until you end up in a system with a capital one?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Yes, you turn down the first one and the next one that spawns should be a capital.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

This the start of Sky Farm, the very basic layout is done. The square building will change a lot, it's there as a guideline to get other things lined up and in their right place. If you don't fly in then access is by teleport from the platform at the base.

I'm quite pleased with how it's shaping up.

I'm tempted to put an underwater viewing room and nautilus access in there too.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Sweet! Turns out my build menu not working on my insane mountain tower base was due to a bug, not because my base was too large! The latest patch seems to have solved the problem for me!

I'll try to do some screenshot posting later, after I've finished trying to get into space via a tall building.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
- Is there any rationale behind why teleporting to some bases drop you at the computer vs. the base portal, and

- Is there any logic behind/way to handle poo poo randomly disappearing out of the medium/large refiners when you leave them unattended for any period of time

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Mailer posted:

If you want to just say Screw Yo Quests I think everything can be purchased from the Anomaly and farmed from secure bases. You get a lot of that free by following the quest chains, though, and nothing in this game takes very long.

the longest (and stupidest) part of the quest chain is probably the part where you have to wait like 90 mins/2 hours between the Science Terminal questline steps.

Seriously, HG, it's how many years in and that stupid questline is still stupid?

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

Giant pink fungus thing releasing bright green spores

A huge bowl-shaped valley of the same giant fungus things. I think this is only possible because of the new terrain formation?

Cute bouncing pineapple animal

???

Ridiculous turtle bird

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Are land animals more rare than flying? I've been through planets on 6 systems now and haven't seen a single creature on the ground. These kill creatures missions are hard trying to shoot down some weird dragonfly snakes.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
I need to hang around on foot for a minute before two dozen animals spawn all at once

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.
Somehow this last update instead of fixing stuttering made it way worse for me :(

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009

Mailer posted:

Every storage container shows fill rate, time until full, and the total space of the network. Every extractor shows that as well as its individual rate. Power is the same, with batteries showing total draw/rate and charge time, with em gens showing how much they personally are contributing. If you're talking about "How would I know that storage depots store 1000 each and portals have 50 power drain?" then yeah... wiki.

The build menu actually shows power drain for buildings:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

- Is there any logic behind/way to handle poo poo randomly disappearing out of the medium/large refiners when you leave them unattended for any period of time

I haven't been able to find anything. I get around it by running five refiners on my freighter while I'm managing expeditions and such. It sucks!