Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

nine-gear crow posted:

...Somewhat? They're small furry things that speak weirdly and exist across different game universes that all share a similar title and the first playable member of their race set an impossibly high bar for the rest of them to clear, so what does your heart tell you?

Which game has a playable Moogle? I am intrigued.

Also throwing my hat into "Heropon very cool!" Riki is the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Silver Falcon posted:

6 I think?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Silver Falcon posted:

Yes, it was FFIV. And while certain FF recurring Moogles have since outstripped Mog as a character, his shadow looms large over all of them in many ways, just like Riki and the Nopon.

There's a reason the US division of Square made Mog the mascot of the game when they localized it as Final Fantasy III.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Sep 30, 2020

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Riki is cool because. Well, everything. The more you learn about him, including how his damage multipliers work in chain attacks, the more you like the guy.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Mog rules. Riki rules.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
Hot take: Riki's okay.

I'm not taking that back.

:colbert:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Silver Falcon posted:

Both of the FFTactics sequels on the GBA and DS also had playable moogles. And Bangaa. And Viera and Nu Mou.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Weeble posted:

Hot take: Riki's okay.

I'm not taking that back.

:colbert:

Mods!

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
i'll allow it

as long as weeble gives a tier list ranking all currently playable xenoblade characters

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
As characters, or combatants?

Eh, I'll do both.

As Combatants:
Dunban
Reyn
Shulk (Player controlled)
Melia (Player controlled)
Riki
AI Shulk
Sharla
AI Melia

Some positions subject to change later in the game with new gear/arts.

As Characters:
Shulk
Melia
Riki
Dunban
Reyn
Sharla

So yeah, I consider Riki to be pretty middle of the pack. He's not my favorite, but he's in no way bad.

Weeble fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Oct 1, 2020

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Riki below Reyn? That's interesting.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

RareAcumen posted:

Both of the FFTactics sequels on the GBA and DS also had playable moogles. And Bangaa. And Viera and Nu Mou.

Oh right yeah. I played the hell out of both those. I was thinking more of the mainline games. I should finish 6 at some point.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Ah, glad to see you using my favorite battle party.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Chronojam posted:

Riki below Reyn? That's interesting.

Reyn is an absolute beast and can solo superbosses at level 1.
In a proper party Reyn does the important topple-daze loop all on his lonesome, and combined with his Aura (that can eventually more than double his strength, before stacking with dunban's Peerless aura) his damage output is one of the highest in the game barring large burst damage from dunban/melia.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Oct 1, 2020

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Weeble posted:

As characters, or combatants?

Eh, I'll do both.

As Combatants:
Dunban
Reyn
Shulk (Player controlled)
Melia (Player controlled)
Riki
AI Shulk
Sharla
AI Melia

Some positions subject to change later in the game with new gear/arts.

:hai: this is how i feel

Weeble posted:

As Characters:
Shulk
Melia
Riki
Dunban
Reyn
Sharla

So yeah, I consider Riki to be pretty middle of the pack. He's not my favorite, but he's in no way bad.

what, why is Reyn so low!? my boy! my baby boy!

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
I mean, it's not that big a gap between any of them; the whole cast is good.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Xenoblade is dope and I'm glad someone is taking another swing at the ol' LP. Anyway I'm just oozing to say Melia/Riki/Dunban is my team of choice for most of the game, they're just Real Good. I will refrain from further discussion because I will definitely spoil poo poo on accident.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Part of the reason Melia is so good is that her Bursts count as a Neutral Art for Chain Attacking. So you can use her in pretty much any Party Combo and it will be fine. Obviously some parties are still better than others.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

- I can't say that I've ever like Riki, or any other shoe-horned in mascot characters. I do like that Riki gets no respect, and the physical abuse comedy with the volleyball spike was downright hilarious.
- "Now that we have bait." :allears: I like the way you think.
- In terms of gameplay, Riki has always seemed to me to be a "Jack of all trades, master of none" character, so I don't particularly like using him. He is still a step above Sharla, though.
- The telethia being able to drain ether explains why Melia was found in another gray, drained patch, suffering from ether deficiency.
- I do like how being the "Heropon" is a punishment.

- Yeah, doing some sidequesting now is a very good idea if only to get party affinity boosts for Melia. Because she'll be only in the party occasionally for a while.

- I really like what the game is doing with Shulk and Melia. It's handling a very tricky situation remarkably well. They're making it clear that Shulk is never going to forget Fiora, and her death remains the catalyst for his journey.
- I don't think Leku is going into debt to us, he's paying us off.
- I don't remember many of these quests.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

TheKirbs
Feb 16, 2018

True reality is on this side of the screen

Doesn't giving Emmy the sword prevent you from reaching max affinity with the colony because it prevents a later quest?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

TheKirbs posted:

Doesn't giving Emmy the sword prevent you from reaching max affinity with the colony because it prevents a later quest?

You actually get a different questline for both options and I think the outcomes are roughly the same for the affinity chart. I wouldn't worry too much about not maxing out a town's affinity though, there are more than enough sidequests for every major locale to hit 5* affinity with plenty of breathing room.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

"Oh, she replaces Sharla?"

:sigh: If only.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
One of the most important sidequest chains in the game. For reasons.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

CapitanGarlic
Feb 29, 2004

Much, much more.
https://twitter.com/MatttGFX/status/1311009598149713920

This thread has taught me much

Mostly who to trust in a life or death situation; I'll only believe in someone who loves Riki appropriately

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Damage over time in this game is pretty amazing, and, though it is backloaded, it is a hell of a big back. Since the ticking damage is based on the initial attack's damage, performing something like Burninate and Lurgy with Riki in a combo attack with a 5x multiplier leads to some hilarious results. After the combo ends, keep an eye on the HP bar..

Riki is one of the few characters who is able to be AI controlled with very few problems. Sure, he might use Roly Poly on an enemy with topple spikes, or maybe not heal you when you expect. But it's better than standing around with three different elementals summoned and not even auto-attacking.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
*is confused by all the talk of how bad Sharla is, and how Melia is terrible with A.I. control*

Really? I think they're perfectly fine.

*plays more switching up parties*

Well okay, Melia is better under player control, but Sharla can hold her own!

*plays even more*

Oh, okay, yeah, Sharla is pretty bad, and Melia is awesome.

*starts controlling Riki regularly"

Oh. Ohhhh. I - I get now.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Prowler posted:

Damage over time in this game is pretty amazing, and, though it is backloaded, it is a hell of a big back. Since the ticking damage is based on the initial attack's damage, performing something like Burninate and Lurgy with Riki in a combo attack with a 5x multiplier leads to some hilarious results. After the combo ends, keep an eye on the HP bar..

Riki is one of the few characters who is able to be AI controlled with very few problems. Sure, he might use Roly Poly on an enemy with topple spikes, or maybe not heal you when you expect. But it's better than standing around with three different elementals summoned and not even auto-attacking.

Oh no, aside from only using Sharla for random monster fights and not bosses, I played even more of the game wrong than I realized!

I still beat it but still, this kind of information is making beating superbosses make more sense.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Prowler posted:

Sure, he might use Roly Poly on an enemy with topple spikes, or maybe not heal you when you expect.

I'm fairly sure that in DE the AI won't use topple abilities on enemies with debilitating topple spikes. I might be completely wrong though.

AltaBrown posted:

Oh. Ohhhh. I - I get now.

Yeah, everyone has one or more favorites but switching it up every now and then is the intended way. I'm partial to Melia and Dundun myself, but I will control everyone (but Sharla) as mood or plot dictates.
Never not control $PARTY_MEMBER in $THEIR_RELEVANT_BOSS_FIGHT.

Sharla's problem is not that she's bad, it's that she's obsolete 5 minutes in.
EDIT: REMOVED. Sorry

Omobono fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Oct 7, 2020

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Hey can we keep discussion just to what we’ve seen in the LP? We’ll get to the epilogue when we get there, but we are definitely not at that point yet.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

/watches cutscene showing a bunch of floating islands/
"Now let me tell you how gravity works,"

Prowler
May 24, 2004

This is probably my third-least area to navigate, with the next two following very closely behind. The next couple of hours are very story heavy and slow the game down to the crawl--but it's not just the story making things take a long time.

DE could have invested in some additional movement bonuses or something.

Anyway, what's interesting about Eryth Sea is the fact that it isn't tropical--the aesthetic is mostly coral-like and very colorful. It can look very beautiful at night with the two unique weather patterns it gets. If the music were amazing like Makna Forest and Satorl (night), I wouldn't be as hard on it. But with the teleporters, low number of landmarks, and high number of quests located on non-floating islands near the edges of the map.... Sigh.

I have this strong feeling I may replay this game next year.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Ereyth Sea could have used a few more Fast Travel Points. As it is, it's a bit of pain to travel through. Especially doing quests.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
Eryth Sea: The place you turn on auto-run and set your controller down for a few minutes to go get a drink.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Weeble posted:

Eryth Sea: The place you turn on auto-run and set your controller down for a few minutes to go get a drink.

Then you come back to find your party have run into a level 74 fish monster and are about to be wiped out and returned to where they started.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Prowler posted:

This is probably my third-least area to navigate, with the next two following very closely behind. The next couple of hours are very story heavy and slow the game down to the crawl--but it's not just the story making things take a long time.

DE could have invested in some additional movement bonuses or something.

Anyway, what's interesting about Eryth Sea is the fact that it isn't tropical--the aesthetic is mostly coral-like and very colorful. It can look very beautiful at night with the two unique weather patterns it gets. If the music were amazing like Makna Forest and Satorl (night), I wouldn't be as hard on it. But with the teleporters, low number of landmarks, and high number of quests located on non-floating islands near the edges of the map.... Sigh.

I have this strong feeling I may replay this game next year.

In a sense it is. It doesn't have the whole white sand and palm trees thing going on, but corals are absolutely tropical animals. I think you could still call the coral aesthetic tropical. I agree that is is very pretty. I like Eryth Sea a lot. Aesthetically, anyway. It's a giant pain to navigate.