Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Trevor Hale posted:

Can someone explain county development to me? Mine has stalled at 35 and I’m not sure why. I just want to build Cambridge and then ban tories from going there

35 is one of the soft limits on development based on innovations. You can boost it beyond that by using your steward with the boost county development task if they have good stats but it'll get slower and slower until you get the tech to raise the limit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Trevor Hale posted:

Can someone explain county development to me? Mine has stalled at 35 and I’m not sure why. I just want to build Cambridge and then ban tories from going there

That sounds like you've hit the limit from the Communal Government innovation. You'll need to invent Urbanisation (high medieval era) to step it up to a limit of 55.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Trevor Hale posted:

There's a penalty called 'existing development' that raises whenever development goes up. You need to unlock certain techs in order to change the penalties.

For example, you currently have 'Communal Government' which causes the maximum current development penalty to be at 35 development. You need to get to the High Middle Ages and unlock Urbanization, so the maximum current development penalty is now at 55 development.

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

Omar_Comin posted:

From the Wiki:

Characters cannot be appointed Knights if they have the Incapable or Blind traits. Is he one of those?

No, but in spectacular fashion he actually just up and died of “natural causes” with no warning, which was very convenient. I ended up playing as his son, who had the murderer trait right off the bat. Hmmmmmm

And THAT heir reunited Brittania! Job well done boys.

RED TEXT BIG GUN
Sep 1, 2001

Taco Defender

Check out everything but the brain on Thibault. Was a pre-patch save but the base of all of those was like in the 40s?

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Tippis posted:

That sounds like you've hit the limit from the Communal Government innovation. You'll need to invent Urbanisation (high medieval era) to step it up to a limit of 55.

I already had urbanization, so that’s why I was confused. Maybe my steward just wasn’t good enough? He was one of my strong vassal pity appointments

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

There's your mistake, strong vassels belong in the dungeon not on the council.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Trevor Hale posted:

I already had urbanization, so that’s why I was confused. Maybe my steward just wasn’t good enough? He was one of my strong vassal pity appointments
Is the county your culture?

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

lurksion posted:

Is the county your culture?

Yeah. The only thing was an 11 steward. He died and was replaced with a 25 steward and now it’s gaining

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Has anyone noticed that daughters under male preference don't inherit claims when their ruler parent dies anymore?...lol. This effectively makes claim expansion impossible.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Mister Olympus posted:

The difficulties of the Bohemia start don't start to show until a couple generations in. Since cheating into seniority succession is based on a culture-specific tech, the more dynasty members you land outside Czech-culture areas keeps increasing the chance that they will culture-convert to avoid peasant rebellion (or marry some local rando and have them educate all the kids), and the title jumps all the way back to confederate partition when someone who doesn't have the cultural tech inherits. You then have to fight the short reign penalty on a grandpa who's about to die to try and get the succession law changed again.

If you get a fairly early inheritance once all the grandpas have died off, though, you have a very easy position to form the HRE or unite the slavs.

That's quite interesting.

By the way, talk like this makes me think they've improved strategic planning a lot, even if everyone just talks about roleplaying. CK2 didn't have planning further than your current heir cause the world was too chaotic.

Another question: is there any benefit to a high popular opinion? I only see the dangers of having it go below zero and no bonuses for raising it.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

Trevor Hale posted:

I actually know the reason, the problem is almost certainly that your steward had a culture without the innovation. Kinda weird, right?

Also, I feel super dumb. Do you know the easiest way to improve high stat courtiers you invite to court? Just arrange an infertile but high stat marriage and land them. This often improves their stat by 6-9 just by lifestyle and spouse bonuses alone. And when they die the holdings inherit back to you so you can repeat for the next chancellor.

ElectronicOldMen posted:

So I finally completed my count to empire Zunbil reformation game.

Just wanted to say, I am super in awe right now. How long did it take?

scaterry fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Oct 1, 2020

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Man, neighbouring tribal rulers can be kinda spooky now that they actually build stuff.

Edit: Also they seem to make a lot more strategic alliances.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Oct 1, 2020

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Decided to go for Spain as the stabby-happy brother, killed one of my brothers and three months before my murder plot triggered against the second brother he invaded me to press his claims, plummeting the success chance.

I surrendered 15 days into the war, and he decided to make me his spymaster while the plot was still counting down. :ese:

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

ilitarist posted:

Another question: is there any benefit to a high popular opinion? I only see the dangers of having it go below zero and no bonuses for raising it.

If you have an elective law on any of your titles, popular opinion in your capital adds a lot to your vote weight, presumably because when your heir shows up to the election they've got a crowd of Sardinian goons standing behind them and making slit-throat motions at the other electors.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
Interesting.

Also putting your son on the Hungarian throne as duke of Bohemia turned out to not be a great idea. Apparently, some other people have the same claim, like Lazslo, duke of Transylvania. He has managed to beat my child (and me as an ally). When my son became a king of Hungary his counties (part of Bohemia) became part of Hungary, and now he is vassal of Lazslo. Lazslo now fights for independence from HRE and I help the Emperor but I'm forced to fight my son. Bad comedy.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I've jumped straight into this with zero experience of any of the past games and I'm completely at sea, but one irritating thing that I've tried googling and can't find an answer to: why am I losing prestige? I'm getting -0.1 every month.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Could be several reasons, particularly if you’re tribal. You can check your Prestige tooltip at the top-right of the screen for the monthly breakdown.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

I'm not sure if this would actually make me feel safer

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I wish lovely peasant factions were a separate tab from actual factions that matter, it's really frustrating to discover one of these ten ones is something actually bad that's going to gently caress me and it's too late to do anything about it

It's also just...stupid that my vassals have literally identical numbers of troops to me. I know that's a thing in CK2 as well but it feels so utterly ridiculous as an empire that covers all of west and north africa as well as most of sicily to go to war with the duke of beneveneto and have him with MORE troops than me. Yes I'm upgrading my buildings and hiring men at arms and all that this isn't me not knowing what to do it's just annoying me that's all.

Taear fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Oct 1, 2020

ElectronicOldMen
Jun 18, 2018

scaterry posted:

Just wanted to say, I am super in awe right now. How long did it take?

Probably 40+ hours. Could be done quicker, but like CK2 the problem is once you manage to get a stable Empire most of the challenge is gone and it becomes harder to motivate yourself to do things like go to war.

I would even say once you understand the systems that CK3 is easier than CK2 at the moment.

I think ability scores really need a rethink just because of the absurd amount of stacking you can do. In CK2 someone with a 25 score would have been seen as amazing, in CK3 I don't think any of my later rulers had a single stat below 25. Most averaged in the 30-50 range with their stats with 60-100 for their primary stat.

I'm not sure what the best way to change it would be though. Maybe a cap to the amount of bonus each stat can get with a slightly higher cap for your education focus?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

ElectronicOldMen posted:

I would even say once you understand the systems that CK3 is easier than CK2 at the moment.

I just don't know how this is possible. At least the way I play (starting as a tribal and building up) is so SO much loving harder now and you can lose a whole game because of a faction or something.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Taear posted:

I just don't know how this is possible. At least the way I play (starting as a tribal and building up) is so SO much loving harder now and you can lose a whole game because of a faction or something.

I'm not exactly running wild in my own games, but the players/streamers I pay attention to are in agreement that the game is so easy it's almost a problem, because it's hard for them to find ways to make "just a game of CK3" interesting and they have to do either off-the-wall or clearly suboptimal stuff.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah it's extremely easy. I'm hoping that the AI being told to actually update their holdings will help them keep up, but in the release version it is basically impossible to ever lose a war if you build up your MAA.

Partition succession seems like it'll slow you down, but because you get claims on all the top level titles in the partition it is extremely easy to reconquer everything.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Any sense of what makes the AI target someone for a murder plot? I've stopped no fewer than four different schemes against one of my knights, and I have no idea why everyone hates him so much.

-He has zero claims and zero land
-Never been on my council
-He's never been married and has no kids
-He's only brave/generous/impatient, which seems unremarkable
-He follows the majority faith of the realm
-Average stats, except for excellent stewardship and being a decent knight
-He is NOT the majority culture, but then again neither is like half my court right now

I swear my spymaster must be giggling every time he convinces me to throw someone in prison

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

ElectronicOldMen posted:

Probably 40+ hours. Could be done quicker, but like CK2 the problem is once you manage to get a stable Empire most of the challenge is gone and it becomes harder to motivate yourself to do things like go to war.

I think ability scores really need a rethink just because of the absurd amount of stacking you can do. In CK2 someone with a 25 score would have been seen as amazing, in CK3 I don't think any of my later rulers had a single stat below 25. Most averaged in the 30-50 range with their stats with 60-100 for their primary stat.

I'm not sure what the best way to change it would be though. Maybe a cap to the amount of bonus each stat can get with a slightly higher cap for your education focus?

They seem to have tuned a lot of stuff with the patch, so the game is definitely more challenging now, especially in the 867 start, as the AI actually builds up and makes logical alliances. I'm guessing your save started prepatch?

I do agree that it's a bit too easy to get super rulers with 25+ in every stat atm though.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

I still want Hard and Very Hard difficulties

also for Wiz to update the AI again :colbert:

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

How do you get these characters with monster stats?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

brugroffil posted:

How do you get these characters with monster stats?

Mid-late game it's pretty easy to always have a ruler with Genius, that's 5 to each right there, you'll also have better educators, which means higher base stats and education trait. Then on top of that, learning and diplomacy lifestyles have perks that increase your stats by a percent of your chancellors/number of friends/kids you have. Diplomacy especially can make you absolutely beastly since it's so easy to make and keep a high number of friends. Then there's bonus stats from buildings, events, modifiers etc etc etc.

It all adds up later on.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Broken Cog posted:

They seem to have tuned a lot of stuff with the patch, so the game is definitely more challenging now, especially in the 867 start, as the AI actually builds up and makes logical alliances. I'm guessing your save started prepatch?

I do agree that it's a bit too easy to get super rulers with 25+ in every stat atm though.

Yeah, I started this particular game pre-1.1.1 and recently began playing again my. I converted to feudal before 1.1.1 and I notice my AI vassals, hundreds of years later, have still not built any temples or cities in their empty holding slots. Except in a few cases where I built them for the poor saps. They do spend some money on other buildings at least. I think the AI really, really needs that boost from going feudal, a player can plan in advance and save up 20k or something but the AI is just not going to handle that, so maybe I think the CK2 thing where it gives you a free temple/city should return.

Also I feel like there's something wonky with the code for equal succession law, I'm able to select it for my realm law even though my faith is female-dominated. I only have two mods installed and neither touches that. I looked at it and there's a trigger_else in the code that I don't think is used correctly (based on my limited experience with modding), there's some kind of special exception for culture:hausa in there but I can't figure out exactly what it's supposed to do (it's the only reference to culture:hausa I can find in the entire common folder).

I've noticed a few other minor errors in the code too, like it seems like the seduction events that involve picking a gift for your target actually checks your gift preference rather than the target's when determining whether or not it's a gift they like.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Oct 1, 2020

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
Did Rise From the Ashes and was surprised to find that I lost the automatic primogeniture feature Byz starts with and got kicked all the way back to confederate partition after forming the Roman Empire.

To be honest, it gave me a reason to keep playing a save I was about to abandon.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

freebooter posted:

I've jumped straight into this with zero experience of any of the past games and I'm completely at sea, but one irritating thing that I've tried googling and can't find an answer to: why am I losing prestige? I'm getting -0.1 every month.

Mouse over where it says -0.1, wait for the popup to lock and then mouse over where it says -0.1/month. This should give a breakdown on everything affecting you monthly prestige income:

(You can reduce the time for popups to lock in the settings. The default is a little long.)

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Besides Bohemia, what are some good tall countries in 867? Also some nice vassal starts? I tired playing as a vassal in the UK and got gobbled up by my neighbor who had 100 extra soldiers than me.

Also, can anyone here sell me on the vampires mod?

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Drakhoran posted:

(You can reduce the time for popups to lock in the settings. The default is a little long.)

Better yet, you can set it so that the middle mouse button locks tooltips in place. That's my preferred setting anyway.

buglord posted:

Besides Bohemia, what are some good tall countries in 867? Also some nice vassal starts? I tired playing as a vassal in the UK and got gobbled up by my neighbor who had 100 extra soldiers than me.

According to this, the province Zachlumia in Croatia has 8 baronies. Also in Croatia, the duchy of Bosnia seems to have 8 counties in it? Maybe there's some potential there.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Oct 1, 2020

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

buglord posted:

Also, can anyone here sell me on the vampires mod?

Madurai at the southern tip of India is apparently a fan favourite, as it starts with very high development, farmland, and 7 holdings.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

scaterry posted:

I actually know the reason, the problem is almost certainly that your steward had a culture without the innovation. Kinda weird, right?

That would explain it. I think he was a welshman

ElectronicOldMen
Jun 18, 2018

Broken Cog posted:

Yeah started prepatch. Have noticed the AI seems a bit more aggressive, but its more a problem of all the additional systems being fairly overpowered and the AI not able to utilise them as aggressively as a player.

Compare the trait trees to focuses in CK2 and it becomes clear how much more powerful they are. I think about 50% of the trees need a rework. Also the AI needs to get bonus lifestyle experience. Compare any player character to an equally skilled AI character and the player will have way more perks. I am assuming this is due to the lifestyle events not popping as often for the AI as the player?

Dread also needs a rework. I like the idea and I think it is a good first iteration of the system, but it is far too easy to game. Succession is meant to be one of the most unstable times for the player, but just keep a dungeon stocked with some heretics ready to burn and watch as everyone is too scared to attack the infant.

And I can't believe I am saying this, but I think regencies need to come back. As is it is far too easy for the player to just always be in control of everything.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

ElectronicOldMen posted:

Yeah started prepatch. Have noticed the AI seems a bit more aggressive, but its more a problem of all the additional systems being fairly overpowered and the AI not able to utilise them as aggressively as a player.

Compare the trait trees to focuses in CK2 and it becomes clear how much more powerful they are. I think about 50% of the trees need a rework. Also the AI needs to get bonus lifestyle experience. Compare any player character to an equally skilled AI character and the player will have way more perks. I am assuming this is due to the lifestyle events not popping as often for the AI as the player?

Dread also needs a rework. I like the idea and I think it is a good first iteration of the system, but it is far too easy to game. Succession is meant to be one of the most unstable times for the player, but just keep a dungeon stocked with some heretics ready to burn and watch as everyone is too scared to attack the infant.

And I can't believe I am saying this, but I think regencies need to come back. As is it is far too easy for the player to just always be in control of everything.

Oh, I absolutely agree with you on Dread, it needs a serious downside. As it stands it's way too easy to be both loved and feared by everyone, just by, as you mentioned, saving up some heretics to burn. I feel they should rebalance it so at least you can't easily earn dread without also generating tyranny, or that you only really get significant dread from executing landed characters or vassals.

I haven't actually noticed the AI not making the most of the learning trees, but that's a point that's a lot easier for the player to game, so I can totally see it happening.

My point with my post was mostly that it's harder to get to the point where you steamroll everything now, I imagine the game is pretty much as easy as ever once you get there though.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

ElectronicOldMen posted:

Personally I have yet to have a succession crisis despite not abusing dread, but I do find it amusing that a child ruler can execute a dungeon full of prisoners yet can't use a sway scheme.

Not that it matters because I have yet to play as a child either, my rulers pretty consistently die at age 60-80. Unless I intentionally put my ruler in danger there seems to be little chance of dying early.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

prisoners should have an upkeep cost to maintain, increased by amount of prisoners as well as by their rank - but still punishing if you want to hold onto 50 peasants

it isn't free to lodge the Emperor of Whateverthefuck, and he definitely will require accommodations beyond a normal gaol