Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

CarForumPoster posted:

Real talk though you could make a thing that looks like AND emits "pretty much like" a radar system for less than $5000.

You basically need some software defined radio transmitters, an RF amplifier, a computer and an inflatable or other mockup of the actual unit.

There's plenty of ways you could tell them apart based on quality of the emitters but it'd take a while and you could put some low cost refinements in to make them pretty close.

There is in fact a whole industry devoted to just that kind of thing, mostly in countries with non-Roman alphabets. Like short range air defense, it's one of those things we really shouldn't have let atrophy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Schadenboner posted:

These doggos dingos know :whatup:, ammirite?

if that's in thailand those aren't dingoes.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

brains posted:

you're right, this is the marines, not the air force; they might not be willing to pay for it

The AF scrapped an irreplaceable E-3 after a hard landing and nose gear collapse. The damage was all up front.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Captain von Trapp posted:

There is in fact a whole industry devoted to just that kind of thing, mostly in countries with non-Roman alphabets. Like short range air defense, it's one of those things we really shouldn't have let atrophy.

What’d we let atrophy?

If you’re a first world country with good ELINT and ESM telling them apart shouldn’t be to hard so long as your intelligence is good up front.

I’d imagine for the Armenians and Azerbaijanis that aren’t routinely conducting freedom of navigation drills it’d be much harder

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

The cold war may be over but the planes are back in the air tonight:

https://twitter.com/TimInHonolulu/status/1311885172862668801

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011

FuturePastNow posted:

The cold war may be over but the planes are back in the air tonight:

https://twitter.com/TimInHonolulu/status/1311885172862668801

I want this to be real but this dude's Twitter profile does not inspire a great deal of trust.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

Aglet56 posted:

I want this to be real but this dude's Twitter profile does not inspire a great deal of trust.

flight data history's there in ADSBexchange

https://globe.adsbexchange.com/?icao=ae0414&lat=38.441&lon=-75.567&zoom=7.2&showTrace=2020-10-01

https://globe.adsbexchange.com/?icao=ae0415&lat=42.000&lon=-116.201&zoom=5.4&showTrace=2020-10-02

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Aglet56 posted:

If by real you mean the planes then I can't help you there but if by real you mean Trump testing positive, he's tweeted it out himself.

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
I honestly don't know, but are E-6B flights unusual? Or is this just a routine thing

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

gohuskies posted:

I know most of the Nagorno-Karabakh chat should probably stay in a current events type thread, but I did want to flag that Azerbaijan have escalated things by released a military music video:

https://twitter.com/simulacrax/status/1311772844364361728

This isn't the first time the Azerbaijani military made a solid music video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKA9xJx-NKg

IIRC there's some of the same people behind this and their Eurovision entry -- and it would really be a solid entry if it weren't for breaking half the EBU rules.

Azerbaijan, for some reason, is heavily invested in the contest, with Swedish producers/songwriters coming in to work on their song most(?) years, so I expect only the best from their armed forces.

E:F;B

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Aglet56 posted:

I honestly don't know, but are E-6B flights unusual? Or is this just a routine thing

Next to meaningless. Those planes are up all the time. They spend much of their time over the ocean where the submarines are, which means they don't usually show up on flight trackers like ADSBExchange because there aren't nerds with raspberries pi out in the middle of the pacific. It's just coincidence that one happened to fly in range of the coast when this guy looked it up.

If you go to the site in the link and click UTC DAY PREVIOUS you can see that that particular airframe flies nearly every day, and there are half a dozen of them in the inventory.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

tangy yet delightful posted:

If by real you mean the planes then I can't help you there but if by real you mean Trump testing positive, he's tweeted it out himself.

That doesn’t inspire confidence either.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Nebakenezzer posted:

I feel like strange propaganda is totally in keeping with this thread

In that case, have Turkmenistans dictator Gurbanguly Berdymukhammedov doing donuts in front of the mouth of hell to prove he didn't die last year. In a rally car.

2019 was pretty lit really, it just gets overshadowed by the current crazy.

Tias fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Oct 2, 2020

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

CarForumPoster posted:

What’d we let atrophy?

If you’re a first world country with good ELINT and ESM telling them apart shouldn’t be to hard so long as your intelligence is good up front.

Denial and deception generally.

The issue is not so much deciding "real or fake" for a single vehicle in the middle of nowhere. It's "which one is real" when there's one real and a half dozen fakes in the same vicinity.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What do those planes tell our adversaries with SLBMs and ICBMs

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

zoux posted:

What do those planes tell our adversaries with SLBMs and ICBMs

That you can't guarantee a decapitation strike.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Aglet56 posted:

When I lived in OKC they (and those sub communicators and E-3s and everything else with a 707 airframe) were more or less constantly circling the city. No doubt because of its strategic importance and economic value.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

bewbies posted:

When I lived in OKC they (and those sub communicators and E-3s and everything else with a 707 airframe) were more or less constantly circling the city. No doubt because of its strategic importance and economic value.

I mean, yeah. Tinker's near there, and Offutt (home to SAC) is something like 500 miles away. There's a poo poo ton of big USAA stuff in the middle of the country.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
A big ole new engine.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

mlmp08 posted:

A big ole new engine.

Someone edit the Barclay gif so this is the biggie smalls he's referencing?

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

I mean, yeah. Tinker's near there, and Offutt (home to SAC) is something like 500 miles away. There's a poo poo ton of big USAA stuff in the middle of the country.

Tinker has a mini navy base within it that does all of the E6B heavy maintenance too, so they are here a lot anyway.

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

mlmp08 posted:

A big ole new engine.

:pwn:

brains
May 12, 2004

Godholio posted:

The AF scrapped an irreplaceable E-3 after a hard landing and nose gear collapse. The damage was all up front.

well there's your problem right there, it's just a lowly E-3. now, if it was an e-3, maybe the air force would have been more enthusiastic about it!

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I originally read those "E-6es are airborne" tweets as "EA-6s are airborne" and was concurrently :confused: and :ohdear:.

Granted, it was like 4 AM at the time?

:shrug:

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

mlmp08 posted:

A big ole new engine.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Aglet56 posted:

They fly literally every day, and are perpetually dispersed from home station.

Xenoborg posted:

Tinker has a mini navy base within it that does all of the E6B heavy maintenance too, so they are here a lot anyway.

The E6B is literally based at Tinker. Both squadrons are there. The jets themselves spend most of their time on the road, to avoid that whole "decapitation strike" thing mentioned earlier. The Navy compound has a giant anchor out front, which at some point in the 90s was painted pink by some AWACS dudes.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Oct 2, 2020

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Godholio posted:

They fly literally every day, and are perpetually dispersed from home station.

The E6B is literally based at Tinker. Both squadrons are there. The jets themselves spend most of their time on the road, to avoid that whole "decapitation strike" thing mentioned earlier. The Navy compound has a giant anchor out front, which at some point in the 90s was painted pink by some AWACS dudes.

I love the Navy's propensity for dumping gently caress off huge anchors all over their shore facilities. Part of me hopes that it really, really confuses alien archeologists a few tens of thousands of years from now.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Really feels like it's about time to finish replacing all the 707s. The Japanese put the AWACS system on a 767 without serious difficulties.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/jimsciutto/status/1312027909390045184

Which makes sense to me because who are they worried about a strike from, France?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Mortabis posted:

Really feels like it's about time to finish replacing all the 707s. The Japanese put the AWACS system on a 767 without serious difficulties.

The 767 is also out of production, minus the KC-46. They COULD expand the line, but the USAF has had about enough of that bullshit.

Basically anything at this point is a from-scratch project. Which is why it'll probably be Wedgetails, and for some reason when I ask people involved about how that fleet could possibly be manned, they start kicking the ground and getting distracted.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
we have replaced all the 707's, just in a ship of theseus sense

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Godholio posted:

The 767 is also out of production, minus the KC-46. They COULD expand the line, but the USAF has had about enough of that bullshit.

Basically anything at this point is a from-scratch project. Which is why it'll probably be Wedgetails, and for some reason when I ask people involved about how that fleet could possibly be manned, they start kicking the ground and getting distracted.

I know you've said before Wedgetails don't have enough room for controllers, but do you think it would be "good enough" possibly?

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Go to Udhvar Hazy and dig up some 707 spares

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Mortabis posted:

I know you've said before Wedgetails don't have enough room for controllers, but do you think it would be "good enough" possibly?

The problem is that you need more airframes to do the same job. The AF is still a couple thousand pilots short already, plus ABMs are undermanned, aircraft maintenance is undermanned...

Can the USAF buy enough airframes to adapt? Absolutely; it'll require a massive shift in conops but it's absolutely doable and it's not entirely a bad idea...there are some potential benefits. But can the AF crew them? Nope. Can it fix them? Nope. These problems have existed for over a decade, and the AWACS wing commander is on record saying "We don't have a retention problem, we have a production problem." Which is precisely half true and half jaw-dropping bullshit.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Oct 2, 2020

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

triple 7 yolo option

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
AWG dudes are gonna be aaaaaaangry.

https://twitter.com/jenjudson/status/1312067776350244865?s=21

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
I bet 737 MAX airframes could be had for cheap, just disable MCAS and other bullshit.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Saukkis posted:

I bet 737 MAX airframes could be had for cheap, just disable MCAS and other bullshit.

They'd need to be MAX 10s to give roughly the same internal space as the 'biggest' 707.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

zoux posted:

Which makes sense to me because who are they worried about a strike from, France?

I assumed the only people who should be worried about getting blown up by France are Pacific Islanders, and maybe Greenpeace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

Godholio posted:

The problem is that you need more airframes to do the same job. The AF is still a couple thousand pilots short already, plus ABMs are undermanned, aircraft maintenance is undermanned...

Can the USAF buy enough airframes to adapt? Absolutely; it'll require a massive shift in conops but it's absolutely doable and it's not entirely a bad idea...there are some potential benefits. But can the AF crew them? Nope. Can it fix them? Nope. These problems have existed for over a decade, and the AWACS wing commander is on record saying "We don't have a retention problem, we have a production problem." Which is precisely half true and half jaw-dropping bullshit.

Why can't they just put the wedgetail radar on a 787?