Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Nearly every neuro I've ever had, and I'm into double digits, has had migraines. Sometimes you go into a field because "wow, this sucks, let's make it better for other people."

it makes sense!

but psych problems have a solid chance of turning you into a lil poo poo like freud

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Gnoman posted:

Most of Freud's "theories" were preconceptions. His notion that sex was at the root of everything was a hobbyhorse before he did any real study, much of his papers are based on therapy sessions that provably never happened, and the sessions he did do were almost invariably with very sexually repressed people.

Freud was a fraud, completely and utterly. All he did was turn "maybe it's demons, IDK" into "maybe it's sex, IDK", and he probably set the science of psychology back 50 years or more.

All of that is true. His accomplishment is setting up psychology as a science at all, so 50 years later the third generation psychologists could start getting things right.

Without psychology your options were a neurologist for brain problems or religious councillor for emotional problems. I doubt we'd be in a better position today if counselling had remained mainly the job of ministers and bartenders. Ministers and bartenders do work well for some people, but they have a limited range of solutions to offer.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

There were others looking into the mind at the time. One of them would probably fathered the science on firmer ground.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Gnoman posted:

There were others looking into the mind at the time. One of them would probably fathered the science on firmer ground.

to the best of my knowledge all of them to a man were basically as bad as freud
for example, he was only marginally racist compared to some of these other fucks. like a 7/10 by our standards and a 2/10 by his and these fucks are hitting racism levels not possible in modern society

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Sep 29, 2020

Miss Broccoli
May 1, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
all of our rocketry comes from science done by literal actual nazis. whats your point here

Miss Broccoli
May 1, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
nazis also made the first jet plane. should we scrap all modern planes?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
rocket science doesnt involve judgment of human beings but psych does. so it was deec that we had the open minded jew and not any of the protonazi fuckers, but it wouldve been a fuckup either way

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Miss Broccoli posted:

all of our rocketry comes from science done by literal actual nazis. whats your point here

That's not entirely true. There were plenty of home grown rocket scientists. It's just that paperclip types just were given all the budget and power

Miss Broccoli
May 1, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bob dobbs is dead posted:

rocket science doesnt involve judgment of human beings but psych does. so it was deec that we had the open minded jew and not any of the protonazi fuckers, but it wouldve been a fuckup either way

modern psychology is not about judgement. its about healing.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Miss Broccoli posted:

Nazis are real bad at that, too.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Miss Broccoli posted:

we still have involuntary commitment, we just dont use it on lots of peeps

what else are we gonna do when someone kills 25 dudes and eats their dicks or something

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

ikanreed posted:

That's not entirely true. There were plenty of home grown rocket scientists. It's just that paperclip types just were given all the budget and power

The actual father of rocketry was a literal gently caress wizard that was cuckolded by the founder of Scientology; the government looked hard at Jack Parsons and thought the nazi that copied off his notes was a better idea.

(We were better off with the gently caress wizard.)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Tendales posted:

The actual father of rocketry was a literal gently caress wizard that was cuckolded by the founder of Scientology; the government looked hard at Jack Parsons and thought the nazi that copied off his notes was a better idea.

So much poo poo in history that if you put it in a movie, no one would believe it.

to the best of my knowledge all of them to a man were basically as bad as freud
for example, he was only marginally racist compared to some of these other fucks. like a 7/10 by our standards and a 2/10 by his and these fucks are hitting racism levels not possible in modern society

That explains a lot. I'm guessing actual phrenology was involved.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

Tendales posted:

The ACTUAL father of Rocketry wanted to colonise space so there was room for all the dead people from all of human history Science was definitely going to resurrect, but he was Russian

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

The ACTUAL father of Rocketry wanted to colonise space so there was room for all the dead people from all of human history Science was definitely going to resurrect, but he was Russian

Now this is a sci-fi plot I'd watch.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

I've always thought of Tsiolkovsy as more of a crazy grand-uncle of rocketry, but fair enough

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle
We still use his equation!

Rocketry has a LOT of dads, and presumably a lot of puns and barbecues were involved in its childhood, before the war crime years

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
Woke up to a dozen essays of texts of... nothing far as I can tell? Haven't bothered to read anything beyond the first two or three, but it's basically my biological father angsting a bunch of Facebook-ish emo vagueposts in my direction about life and regret and whatnot and I am just... not at all invested in any way whatsoever in this.

I don't even know what spurred this all of a sudden and I can't say that I care. I'm not even mad. It's like getting drunk texts from exes or old high school friends in the middle of the night. They havent been a part of your life for so long that there is no significance in anything they have to say.

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry
I remember learning about Freud's theories through the lens of literary analysis, and even then I thought it seemed a little stupid. He wrote a very long, probably coke-fueled essay about how the fear of eye injuries and being buried alive have the same roots, iirc. I kind of dug (har) the literary symbolism of being buried alive as being like an inverse of the womb but I didn't really understand the eye stuff. Also I'm pretty sure he figured a way to work in his daddy issues (I mean everyone else's daddy issues that everyone definitely has am I right folks!!!) into his text but I read ten years ago and skimmed most of it because I had like seven other readings to do that week. Gotta learn about how the Medium is the Message, Freud!! Learn how to summarize maybe!!!

I'm enjoying the brief rocket science derail. Tell me more about science weirds.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Freud was not a literary man, which means he was a terrible writer, and this is very unfortunate because basically the only place Freud comes up with any degree of taking his ideas seriously anymore is literary studies, because apparently the humanities were slow to get the memo that we don't really believe Freud anymore.

I might have some Freud to read for Monday that I'm very salty about.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Why are people always ragging on Freud? Of course women were all traumatized by seeing our father's penises as children and realizing we didn't have penises of our own. A penis is a very normal thing for a cis woman to want to have. And so, of course, we all crave the next best thing: a baby. Babies are like penises because

Pththya-lyi fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Oct 1, 2020

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Freud also egged one of his friends on in permanently disfiguring a woman with quack surgery and encouraged him to continue burning out the insides of people's noses afterward. He even told the woman the nose bleeds she suffered from for the rest of her life were the result of her hysterical longing for affection rather than a horribly botched surgery.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

RoboRodent posted:

Freud was not a literary man, which means he was a terrible writer, and this is very unfortunate because basically the only place Freud comes up with any degree of taking his ideas seriously anymore is literary studies, because apparently the humanities were slow to get the memo that we don't really believe Freud anymore.

I might have some Freud to read for Monday that I'm very salty about.

Back in college, I was doing child development research and also majoring in English, so I thought it would be fun to take an English seminar about Freud's works. Wouldn't it be cool to learn the history of child psychology before Piaget?

I lasted two weeks before the professor pulled me aside and said that maybe the course wasn't for me. I ended up dropping it, probably to the relief of everyone.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Pththya-lyi posted:

Why are people always ragging on Freud? Of course women were all traumatized by seeing our father's penises as children and realizing we didn't have penises of our own. A penis is a very normal thing for a cis woman to want to have. And so, of course, we all crave the next best thing: a baby. Babies are like penises because
I'm a literal trans dude and I don't understand why some cis dudes(like Freud) think having a penis is the end-all-be-all of being a person.

Terrible Opinions posted:

Freud also egged one of his friends on in permanently disfiguring a woman with quack surgery and encouraged him to continue burning out the insides of people's noses afterward. He even told the woman the nose bleeds she suffered from for the rest of her life were the result of her hysterical longing for affection rather than a horribly botched surgery.
:gonk:

Are there any good things Freud did with his life? At all?

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

Woke up to a dozen essays of texts of... nothing far as I can tell? Haven't bothered to read anything beyond the first two or three, but it's basically my biological father angsting a bunch of Facebook-ish emo vagueposts in my direction about life and regret and whatnot and I am just... not at all invested in any way whatsoever in this.

I don't even know what spurred this all of a sudden and I can't say that I care. I'm not even mad. It's like getting drunk texts from exes or old high school friends in the middle of the night. They havent been a part of your life for so long that there is no significance in anything they have to say.
I think you're supposed to handle his emotions for him? Reassure him he was a good parent, rush to his side so he can play Dad of the Year . . . I don't really know what parents think when they send stuff like that.

I found this online today and it seems very appropriate:

quote:

Your mom has some serious emotional disregulation problems. Essentially she never learned to manage her own emotions, things like self-soothing, so you became the tool or the outlet for her to manage her emotions. It is extremely common when you have a parent with emotional disregulation problems that you will also have emotional disregulation problems yourself. You can't learn basic regulation skills because you don't have a parent that can teach them to you. It's that simple. The out of control, emotional spinning, can't concentrate feeling you have now --- that's what I am talking about. I think you should strongly consider how much of your mental health problems are actually because of your mom - either because of the pressure she brings to your life or the poor coping skills she would have taught you over the course of your life.

Secondly, you have spoken repeatedly about how bad you feel when she is lonely or hurt or whatever. Imagine if she spent a fraction of the time learning emotional regulation skills, like self-soothing, as she spends manipulating and guilting everyone around her and has done for over 3-4 decades. She could have actually learned to better cope with and mitigate her emotional problems by now but instead she uses that energy to harm her relationships and hurt her loved ones for her own selfish interests. That is a choice she makes every single day.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
For real. Not answering that text, or reading the rest of their emo bs.

But all I can think anytime it comes to mind is "man... just... get help"

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Sisal Two-Step posted:

I remember learning about Freud's theories through the lens of literary analysis, and even then I thought it seemed a little stupid. He wrote a very long, probably coke-fueled essay about how the fear of eye injuries and being buried alive have the same roots, iirc. I kind of dug (har) the literary symbolism of being buried alive as being like an inverse of the womb but I didn't really understand the eye stuff. Also I'm pretty sure he figured a way to work in his daddy issues (I mean everyone else's daddy issues that everyone definitely has am I right folks!!!) into his text but I read ten years ago and skimmed most of it because I had like seven other readings to do that week. Gotta learn about how the Medium is the Message, Freud!! Learn how to summarize maybe!!!

I'm enjoying the brief rocket science derail. Tell me more about science weirds.

The thing I always keep in mind when reading/discussing the writings of Freud is that he asked the right questions, it's just the answers he came up with for his questions are...really dumb. Also, his nephew is basically the father of the modern marketing and was also a massive rear end in a top hat, just like his uncle. Whenever you hear a Fox News anchor screaming angry poo poo, you have him to thank for the realization that emotion is a far more powerful seller of goods (and by extensions, ideology) than any kind of logic.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I remember a story from college told alongside the famous tale of Phineas Gage of a person who complained of headaches and was found to have a nail (I think?) sticking out of their head. Like really obviously sticking out of they head. They had an accident that resulted in a foreign object piercing their brain in just the right way that the nail in their head prevented them from noticing the nail in their head. They could notice the symptom of persistent headaches, but not the obvious cause of a nail protruding from their skull. (Unfortunately google couldn't find this story for me, because there are sooooo many stories of dudes turning up with nails and rods through their heads. It just keeps happening.)

I think sometimes personality disorders are a lot like that nail. The personality disorder in their brain prevents them from seeing the personality disorder in their brain.

They can see the symptom that almost all of their relationships keep turning to poo poo, but since they can't hold the idea that they have a problem in their minds, they instead come up with the reasonable explanation that everyone around them is crazy or mean.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Facebook Aunt posted:

I think sometimes personality disorders are a lot like that nail. The personality disorder in their brain prevents them from seeing the personality disorder in their brain.

In college I majored in psych (and I'm sure I heard this from someone else) I used to refer to that as "How can I fix the head I got with the head I got" (also see "If I have a broken hammer I can't use that same hammer to fix itself.")

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Is it possible that Freud got all this poo poo wrong because he was the first one to try and do it?

Miss Broccoli
May 1, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Is it possible that Freud got all this poo poo wrong because he was the first one to try and do it?

No he was massive rear end in a top hat on top of being a pioneer

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Well his first theory that early modern to modern Austria was overrun with pedophiles and that this caused mental disorders in kids was 100% right. It's just that when he saw and documented this evidence it clashed with his world view and biases too much to accept. So he revised it and twisted horrible logic knocks to explain how all this abuse was imagined by children who really wanted it.

It's like how racist archeologists kept finding the remains of advanced civilizations in Africa, South America, Norther America, etc and decided that this was evidence of white people who just got killed off by the current inhabitants. When those inhabitants were actually direct descendants of those same civilizations after being hosed up by disasters both natural and man made.

Terrible Opinions fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Oct 2, 2020

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Miss Broccoli posted:

No he was massive rear end in a top hat on top of being a pioneer

but the pool of possible pioneers was like 100% assholes so the counterfactual is not any better

psych problems turn you into a lil poo poo

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

Facebook Aunt posted:

I've been doing a lot of work on myself recently, and in a lot of the literature I'm reading, this phenomenon has been summarized as "denial."

Like, denial is a woo woo therapy buzzword or whatever, but when you really think about the depths to which someone can feel their shortcomings and inadequacies but not recognize them, or ignore them, distract themselves or deflect them towards others, it really paints an illuminating picture of almost every interaction you have with another human being. Radical self-acceptance and healing emotional wounds can only happen when you're willing to address whatever you're denying, and that's incredibly hard for most people.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Terrible Opinions posted:

Well his first theory that early modern to modern Austria was overrun with pedophiles and that this caused mental disorders in kids was 100% right. It's just that when he saw and documented this evidence it clashed with his world view and biases too much to accept. So he revised it and twisted horrible logic knocks to explain how all this abuse was imagined by children who really wanted it.

It's like how racist archeologists kept finding the remains of advanced civilizations in Africa, South America, Norther America, etc and decided that this was evidence of white people who just got killed off by the current inhabitants. When those inhabitants were actually direct descendants of those same civilizations after being hosed up by disasters both natural and man made.

Archaeology is a good analogy for Freud, because while modern archaeology wouldn't exist without the pioneers, the pioneers were also massive grave-robbing, racist, colonial assholes whose biased conclusions continue to resonate through popular culture and academia to this day, loving up people's perceptions of the past & of human nature in general, usually in massively racist ways.

I'm not massively inclined to respect them purely for founding the discipline or inventing excavation because the damage they did is still ongoing, and I feel a similar way about Freud. He doesn't get a pass for the dark poo poo he did and promoted - often against the evidence he himself was gathering, because it didn't fit his biases - especially wrt women and children, anymore than Karl Mauch does for declaring black people could never have built Great Zimbabwe just because he pioneered some of the geological discovery techniques archaeology still uses today, you know?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Honestly, the whole concept of 'lay back, relax, and talk about how you feel about things' is still a massive step up from the prevailing mainstream attitude towards emotions.

The Freudian psyche does make for fun writing, though, mostly because boiling down any character to base concepts is a great excuse to basically make dialogue into an essay about them. I found the Real Life Comics take on that where the author avatar faces their own realisation of being trans interesting; it casts the id as sympathetic trying to make her voice heard and the superego as an unhelpful frat boy representing societal indoctrination.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Oct 2, 2020

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

Sisal Two-Step posted:

The short version:

Jack Parsons was one of the founders of the Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL) at Caltech, which did early work on rockets. Before that, he and a few others were building their own small rockets (and often failing to launch them).

He was also really into Thelema, Aleister Crowley's new religion, and joined the OTO. He did magic rituals, even to help with the rockets.

L. Ron Hubbard got involved with Jack's group and helped him try to summon the goddess Babalon. Along the way though, Lron stole Jack's wife and money, and went on to start Scientology.

If you want the long version, go read his wikipedia page or listen to this excellent three part series from the Unexplained podcast.

The man was a national treasure and is a personal hero to me.

vortmax fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Oct 2, 2020

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

vortmax posted:

The short version:

Jack Parsons was one of the founders of the Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL) at Caltech, which did early work on rockets. Before that, he and a few others were building their own small rockets (and often failing to launch them).

He was also really into Thelema, Aleister Crowley's new religion, and joined the OTO. He did magic rituals, even to help with the rockets.

L. Ron Hubbard got involved with Jack's group and helped him try to summon the goddess Babalon. Along the way though, Lron stole Jack's wife and money, and went on to start Scientology.

If you want the long version, go read his wikipedia page or listen to this excellent three part series from the Unexplained podcast.

The man was a national treasure and is a personal hero to me.

This was also an excellent segment on Drunk History.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

there's a character in The Crying of Lot 49 that is absolutely supposed to be Jack Parsons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thank You Card
Mar 20, 2007

I'm your only friend.

we still have involuntary commitment, we just dont use it on lots of peeps

if you want to leave early, they can change it to involuntary if they really want because they can put that down as resisting treatment. it's a formality at best where rubber meets the road