Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Great start to the finals series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

My finals bracket is somehow still alive. Usually I get the first game wrong!

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

Geez footy is alright, really like the balance of the Lions side. Hipwood may be the absolute superstar of the league in a few years time, always takes a bit longer for big units to hit their stride and his peak could be anything.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Hell yeah Charlie.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

A random off topic question, and one that would seem strange coming from a Melbourne supporter... how do GF tickets get assigned for members once you've purchased them? Do you actually get a seat, or bays that are just 'first in' on the day?

I have a membership with a GF guarantee, but I don't really have other mates who support Melbourne. If they do, they don't have a GF guarantee or are MCC. I've always just assumed that if the day arrives that Melbourne make the GF, I'll be going by myself and sitting by myself. If I got introduced to a friend of a friend who had a GF guarantee too, would we be able to buy tickets in the same transaction for seats next to each other?

Windmill Hut fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Oct 3, 2020

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Windmill Hut posted:

A random off topic question, and one that would seem strange coming from a Melbourne supporter... how do GF tickets get assigned for members once you've purchased them? Do you actually get a seat, or bays that are just 'first in' on the day?

I have a membership with a GF guarantee, but I don't really have other mates who support Melbourne. If they do, they don't have a GF guarantee or are MCC. I've always just assumed that if the day arrives that Melbourne make the GF, I'll be going by myself and sitting by myself. If I got introduced to a friend of a friend who had a GF guarantee too, would we be able to buy tickets in the same transaction for seats next to each other?

When I went it was a random ballot, where you had a chance to win a seat that was based on your level of club membership, ie I also had the guaranteed level, and once you won a seat you just got whatever the computer gave you.

Myself, my dad, and my mate all had Gold, ie guaranteed, so we put our barcodes in together and got to sit together.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Oct 3, 2020

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

Windmill Hut posted:

it depends if you're talking AFL membership or club membership. If you're AFL members, you buy them normally on ticketek like any other final.

If you're a club member you enter the ballot whether you're guaranteed one or not. If you forget to enter the ballot, stiff poo poo you forfeit the ticket. With the ballot, the ticket guarantee only guarantees you will get one, not how good it is. It might be standing room, while someone who got a ticket through the ballot but is only a silver member or whatever might have got a really good seat. Whatever ticket you get is luck of the draw.

If you enter multiple memberships into the ballot at once you get seats next to each other. This bit I'm not 100% on but if I remember correctly, if you enter together you reduce your group to one chance where if you entered separately you get multiple chances, but obviously some might get in but some might not.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
I can’t believe the lack of poo poo posting right now

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

realbez posted:

I can’t believe the lack of poo poo posting right now

Sorry we're all to busy having heart attacks to get into 'free kick Bulldogs' posting.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

One of the annoying things about the Saints winning today is that convicted drug cheat and match fixer Shane Warne will be happy.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
UP YOU FUCKEN SAINTERS

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Sainters!!!!! :unsmith:

boy undead
Nov 11, 2006

time to get prolific with
the whiz kid
loving hell paddy looked devastated

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

boy undead posted:

loving hell paddy looked devastated

He was loving enormous today :smith:

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.

BrigadierSensible posted:

One of the annoying things about the Saints winning today is that convicted drug cheat and match fixer Shane Warne will be happy.

On the other hand, lovely Gocsy will be happy too

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
gocsy and eric bana happy, all is good

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

At least this game should shut people up about the free ride the Eagles get at home from the umps

Hahahah no of course it won't.

boy undead
Nov 11, 2006

time to get prolific with
the whiz kid
this broadcast sucks, it's showing me happy collingwood supporters instead of sad eagles supporters

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

NPR Journalizard posted:

At least this game should shut people up about the free ride the Eagles get at home from the umps

Hahahah no of course it won't.

Well if the Eagles dont want to be known as free kick riders they should stop getting gifted free kicks all the time.

Bad time to start tonight though.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
Wish the grand final was in Perth now.

Forum Joe
Jun 8, 2001

Every day I'm shuffling!

Ask me about Tasmania!
Those last fave minutes though, three woeful decisions against the eagles. Eagles could easily blame the poor umpiring for the loss of it wasn’t for the terrible tackling all night too

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
Felt like Ryan had a way bigger game than 16 touches and 1 goal

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
I reckon there's something to this whole footy thing. Wouldn't be surprised if we see it return next year.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
drat, those are some close scorelines today!

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

3 of the results went the way I wanted, so hooray.

Not sure if I want Geelong to win next week, because I want Collingwood to lose, or if I want Collingwood to win because they seem like they'd be an easier team for Brisbane to beat.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
richmond losing is the only result i care about now

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

drat I feel bad for Paddy

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
In the WAFL today Claremont played in 3 grand finals (reserves, Colts and seniors) and lost all 3 games

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

snaeksikn posted:

In the WAFL today Claremont played in 3 grand finals (reserves, Colts and seniors) and lost all 3 games

Ouch. Similarish scenario for Geelong in 1989, lost three in a row at the MCG on grand final day. U19s prelim vs Richmond by 1 point, reserves GF vs Fitzroy by 2 points, seniors GF vs Hawthorn (as everyone knows) by a goal.

It was only the U19 prelim because it was a replay of a draw. Funnily enough North flogged Richmond by 80 points in the semi, then lost to Richmond by seven goals in the granny, maybe due to North being flat after the week off.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
I like that the final game of the old VFL was a forgettable U19s match at VFL Park.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
Not even gonna bother thinking about the MRO. Just having a quiet, relaxed night with a cuppa. :sludgepal:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

monolithburger posted:

Not even gonna bother thinking about the MRO. Just having a quiet, relaxed night with a cuppa. :sludgepal:

the ol' Sainters group chat is spitting nails today

Forum Joe
Jun 8, 2001

Every day I'm shuffling!

Ask me about Tasmania!
https://www.reddit.com/r/AFL/comments/j5g3k5/finest_commentary_of_an_u18_brawl_youll_ever_get

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
AFL.com reporting that Joe Daniher is going to join Brisbane. That's pretty huge for the Lions given where they are at.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Yeah, although him and Hipwood would want to work on their set shots.

If it wasn’t already apparent there needs to be a decent rebuild at Essendon. There’s talk of Peter Wright nominating USA but the backline is old and slow, and the midfield is small.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
Dodoro's stubbornness is looking like it's gonna come back to bite.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

monolithburger posted:

Dodoro's stubbornness is looking like it's gonna come back to bite.

Big time. It’s no certainty he’ll even net us band 1 compo.

Imagine having pick 3 this year lol

This will be one of those events that go down in trade period lore I feel, especially if Sydney’s pick ends up being a jet.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
12 months ago

https://twitter.com/essendonfc/status/1184392194796339201?s=19

:getin:

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Aged like a fish milkshake lol

This will go down in infamy and eclipse the Hodge-Croad trade as the worst bit of trade period decision making in the modern era.

Dodoro’s only saving grace is that the board were leaning heavily on him to not trade Daniher last year because they legit thought we were close to a flag.

Anyway, you gotta break a few eggs to make an omelette so maybe this is what finally makes the fucktards at the club realise you need competent administration and not just money to run a successful club (says an increasingly disillusioned fan for the 7th time this decade...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

So even though Saad would have probably left for someone else, I feel like Dodo is the reason he landed at Carlton? Refuses to trade Daniher to the Swans last year which stopped Papley getting to Carlton which could have potentially left the Blues with not enough to offer Saad? Kinda funny when you think about it that way.

It hurts losing Joey from a "I like him" point of view, but from a on field point of view, I'm not too upset. We are definitely a better side with him forward, but he's not irreplaceable. He still has only really had 1 very good consistent year. A lot of his currency still seems to lie in "potential" rather than anything else. It does make me wonder how much set shot kicking Brisbane will need to do over the summer with Daniher, Hipwood and McStay all there. Its a very hit or miss forward line. Daniher and Hipwood are also very similar players which is interesting. But, I like Brisbane, I like Joe, so I won't mind so much seeing him run around in their top next year.

Saad on the other hand is the opposite of Joe. It doesn't hurt as much from a "I like him" POV, but it does from an on field POV. He's clearly one of our best players and tried his guts out every game even when it seemed others have given up. Which doesn't surprise me if its a factor in him leaving. I thought that Tom Morris article seemed pretty fair, especially when it states that the truth is somewhere in the middle. Saad probably didn't like being told to play a bit differently and to defend first, attack second. But Saad also probably was frustrated with the attitude of a lot of the playing group. Under Woosh it seemed there was a real "play how you want, try enjoy your footy" vibe. But Rutten is apparently known for being very process driven and its play how he wants. Which I guess just didn't work for Saad, and if thats the case then him leaving is the best for everyone. But gently caress it will hurt watching him rip us apart in a Blues top next year.

We really do need to just cut the notion of we are close to a premiership right out. We seemed to be stuck in this weird fantasy world where we believed before everything went to poo poo with ASADA that we were on the cusp. And then once we got all the players back we just kept believing we were a couple of steps away from regaining that. We got to recognise its over. Start again. The focus should be "we can try get a premiership before guys like Shiel, Walla and Smith etc retire" because its not happening with Hurley and Hooker. Ridley, McGrath, Zerret, Draper, Parish, BZT ... those are the guys you got to focus your core around now. Raze poo poo to the ground and start a proper rebuild in Rutten/Cara's image.

thepokey fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Oct 7, 2020