Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I didn't actually believe the Marlins would yet again break the Cubs hearts

Dutchy posted:

I mean, yeah? Aside from Bassitt, and if we're thinking long-term, Luzardo, I'd much rather have the Astros rotation right now. The A's are going to have to pick three of Fiers/Manaea/Montas/Minor and between them the nicest thing you can say is Manaea's FIP suggests he isn't as bad as your lying eyes tell you, and could probably be Houston's #4 or so. I'm sure the Verlander/Morton/Cole days seem distant but you haven't fallen so far that you're looking at a guy with a 5.60 ERA and thinking he MUST start if we reach Game 5, unless we find ourselves forced to start him in a must-win Game 4

It's not the Verlander/Morton/Cole days so the gap isn't huge but I don't think the A's will have the SP edge in any game except whatever one Bassitt starts. Perhaps Luzardo, depending on matchup or whatever

Behind 50 year old Greinke who's been bad for the last month the Astros have who? McCullers? He's brilliant one game out of five. Framber? Yeah we've been down that road before. Urquidy? Arguably the most promising but he's a 4th or 5th starter on any good team

The A's are better at every level and if they don't win it's the fickleness of baseball

Intruder fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Oct 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
I think Houston has the edge on starters:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I mean if you're going to covet the Astros having Valdez or whatever I don't know what to tell you

The man lives to get fans hopes up then give up 6 runs in the first

And even if you give the Astros the edge in starters, they have one of the worst bullpens in the league and their rotation isn't good enough to go routinely deep into games. Any bullpen game is going to be major edge to the A's. Plus you have Dusty managing the bullpen decisions

If the better team wins this series, it means the A's win this series period. There's a reason they stomped all over the Astros all season

e: if they had Verlander and, I hate to say it, Osuna? I'd give them a chance. But man this is going to be an rear end whooping I feel

I wish their injuries could have been swapped because it sounds like Osuna is back next season and Verlander is done, at least as an Astro

Intruder fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Oct 3, 2020

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Intruder posted:

I didn't actually believe the Marlins would yet again break the Cubs hearts

ehhhh, they won the world series in my lifetime, now the cubs sucking in the playoffs is pretty standard, especially this year where they'd get swept in the div round.

the whole marlins beating the cubs thing reversing 2016 i don't understand since the bad marlins loss happened in the notably terrible year of 2003, but then again we are in the Chaos Realm.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

Intruder posted:

I mean if you're going to covet the Astros having Valdez or whatever I don't know what to tell you

The man lives to get fans hopes up then give up 6 runs in the first

And even if you give the Astros the edge in starters, they have one of the worst bullpens in the league and their rotation isn't good enough to go routinely deep into games. Any bullpen game is going to be major edge to the A's. Plus you have Dusty managing the bullpen decisions

If the better team wins this series, it means the A's win this series period. There's a reason they stomped all over the Astros all season

e: if they had Verlander and, I hate to say it, Osuna? I'd give them a chance. But man this is going to be an rear end whooping I feel

I wish their injuries could have been swapped because it sounds like Osuna is back next season and Verlander is done, at least as an Astro

I think the A's are better and will/should win if god has any mercy whatsoever but they're gonna have to schedule starts for three guys whose ceiling is a bad Greinke start, consecutively, with no off days for the bullpen. I just don't think I'm being ridiculous looking at a potential Montas or Fiers Game 5, knowing the bullpen will have likely pitched at least 8-10 innings the previous two nights, and thinking that could be a bit of an uh-oh. The Astros aren't a great rotation but yes I would love to have Valdez or McCullers or Greinke or anyone else driving you crazy, half the A's options are barely playable

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
Well that loving sucked.

Theo please don't gently caress over KB, please and thank you

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Bregor posted:

Well that loving sucked.

Theo please don't gently caress over KB, please and thank you

kb is gone

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Cubs are out and I have a hard time telling myself I care at all.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Explosionface posted:

Cubs are out and I have a hard time telling myself I care at all.

i have to admit the 5-run marlins inning got me in the Cubs Angst place

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Now that the Cubs are out just remembering that this post season doesn't count.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

the cubs are a weird case of a team winning a world series when most of the guys were in their early to mid 20s and almost none of them ever playing that well again

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

R.D. Mangles posted:

the cubs are a weird case of a team winning a world series when most of the guys were in their early to mid 20s and almost none of them ever playing that well again

it's a theme with Chicago world series runs.

(obviously konerko and buehrle had great careers but that 2005 team had a career year for like half the team.)

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
holy hell did Javy Baez fall off an absolute loving cliff this year :stare:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Julio Cruz posted:

holy hell did Javy Baez fall off an absolute loving cliff this year :stare:

All the big names did, Bryant/Rizzo/Baez/Schwarber all had pretty miserable seasons. The only real positives this year were Ian Happ and Jason Heyward.

I do think Bote should get a lot more playing time next year, the stats might not show it but he hit the hell out of the ball this year with a .228 BABIP.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Yeah but what if he isn't :smith:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The Marlins beat Hendricks and Yu, they can take on Fried/Anderson/a pile of corpses just fine

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

FlamingLiberal posted:

The Marlins beat Hendricks and Yu, they can take on Fried/Anderson/a pile of corpses just fine

It's gonna be tough, the Marlins needed to score a grand total of 3 runs across both games to win. The Braves offense is what you need to beat.

Popete fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Oct 3, 2020

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

there is sort of a case for blowing up the cubs, they've gotten progressively worse since '16, the chronic late-season hitting is a pattern, and they clearly don't have the talent to compete in the NL anymore, but the fact that they are going to be broken up because the ricketts family doesn't want to pay luxury tax and figure that they can field a Rays payroll because people will always go to wrigley is the worst. plus even if they sort of stink now i want javy and kb to be cubs forever.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

FlamingLiberal posted:

The Braves have to win the Fried start and either the Anderson or Wright start or they’re boned. Even at 2-1 heading into game 4 they’re probably boned.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Dutchy posted:

I think the A's are better and will/should win if god has any mercy whatsoever but they're gonna have to schedule starts for three guys whose ceiling is a bad Greinke start, consecutively, with no off days for the bullpen. I just don't think I'm being ridiculous looking at a potential Montas or Fiers Game 5, knowing the bullpen will have likely pitched at least 8-10 innings the previous two nights, and thinking that could be a bit of an uh-oh. The Astros aren't a great rotation but yes I would love to have Valdez or McCullers or Greinke or anyone else driving you crazy, half the A's options are barely playable

Greinke yes, McCullers fine you could get one of his gems, Valdez is literally a tire fire waiting to happen

The only kind of possible advantage the Astros could have is they had a bunch of young guys get starts this season who will now get to be long relievers, so that might work out (Javier in particular)

But the A's have a better lineup, better defense, a miles and miles better bullpen, and if we're talking two teams with bad rotations then the bullpen looms large

I'm just imagining Kirios reading someone coveting Framber right now

R.D. Mangles posted:

ehhhh, they won the world series in my lifetime, now the cubs sucking in the playoffs is pretty standard, especially this year where they'd get swept in the div round.

the whole marlins beating the cubs thing reversing 2016 i don't understand since the bad marlins loss happened in the notably terrible year of 2003, but then again we are in the Chaos Realm.

I think it's just that the Cubs ushered in the Trump years, and the Cubs got knocked out of the playoffs on the same day he got the roni

Intruder fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Oct 3, 2020

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Turns out the Cubs were one of Trump’s final horcruxes.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
So barring a miracle comeback in the 9th here, the Central divisions' playoff tally is 0 wins, 7 losses, 1 DNP, with a composite game record of 2-14.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I wonder what the Central Division teams would have looked like if they needed to play the league instead of just themselves. 3 games is a small sample size but when 7 teams manage 2 wins between all of them, it feels notable.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
ACAB (All Centrals Are Bad)

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Love the dads go dads

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
14 games to remove 6 central league teams?

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

Padres v Dodgers is gonna be fun as hell. No matter who wins, they all become fish food.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
so the Padres and Dodgers, two SoCal teams, are playing in Texas. The Braves and Marlins, two of the three most southeastern teams, are playing in LA.

Okay.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

so the Padres and Dodgers, two SoCal teams, are playing in Texas. The Braves and Marlins, two of the three most southeastern teams, are playing in LA.

Okay.

says on the MLB site that Marlins-Braves is in Houston :confused:

edit: Astros-A's in Dodger Stadium, Yankees-Rays in Petco, Dodgers-Padres in the garden shed

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
I thought I read it was in LA but i'm probably tired so whatever, hope Acuna hits the train a bunch.

Braves offense had their mini slump, if the stars align they're gonna go off against the Marlins but they're the Braves so Sixto's going to no hit them

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/stltoday/status/1312221346374529024

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
legitimately possibly the greatest pitcher of all time and a really cool guy. Completely fearless and determined on the mound.

Never gonna be another.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Bad year for great pitchers

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

gibson loving ruled

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

gently caress

RIP to one of the best

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
Oh gently caress, Gibby.

gently caress this god damned loving bullshit mother-raping poo poo-eating year.

RIP, Bob Gibson.

The Cardinals pitcher who was so loving dominant that he changed the rules. (The pitching mound was lowered.)

(Cross-post from TFR's October Chat. And yes, I know it wasn't just Gibby. But I think it was mostly him.)

Strelok604
Apr 26, 2020

https://twitter.com/BauerOutage/status/1310361192733564930

Bauer seething rather than admit his stats are padded against lovely competition

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Not quite sure what to say. It felt like...something growing up and looking up old records and knowing people like Bob Gibson were still out there, since I memorized pretty much every stupid baseball record there was back then.

Having another era slip away in the form of a man passing isn’t necessarily painful, in the way that a relative’s passing is, but it’s wistful in a way that induces a form of nostalgia I can never quite articulate.

May he rest in peace and his family find comfort in the greatness he left behind

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

Strelok604 posted:

https://twitter.com/BauerOutage/status/1310361192733564930

Bauer seething rather than admit his stats are padded against lovely competition

you realize he's being tongue in cheek right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

https://twitter.com/tomscocca/status/1312227957650456576?s=20