Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

It’s bold and I like it but Oldboy and Da Sweet Blood of Jesus are lame and there’s no reason to not just watch the originals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Why the hell would you bring back an unloved character from movie so bad and disliked it killed the franchise and forced Sony to share Spider-Man with Marvel. That's like if in The Dark Knight they brought back Schwarzenegger as Mister Freeze.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

galagazombie posted:

Why the hell would you bring back an unloved character from movie so bad and disliked it killed the franchise and forced Sony to share Spider-Man with Marvel. That's like if in The Dark Knight they brought back Schwarzenegger as Mister Freeze.

That would've slapped tho

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

galagazombie posted:

I literally cannot conceive of a way that wouldn't have made TDK better.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

galagazombie posted:

I think you'll find that once he became Electro he was the best part of ASM2.

Also Schwarzenegger as Mister Freeze in The Dark Knight would have been amazing!

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

galagazombie posted:

That wasn't ASM2, though, it didn't kill the franchise because it was bad and disliked. It made plenty of money, 700 million or so, but Sony had sunk absolutely shitloads of money into it. Rumours had it as high as 300, 400 million. They'd done it before, on Spiderman 3 (and I remember the articles more or less guaranteeing it would lose money) and it had paid off. This didn't.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

muscles like this! posted:

Just put it out on streaming, Bond movies are evergreen money makers so who cares how much it makes in theaters.

I wonder if MGM is really in a position to eat the losses on it, though. They're not fully backed by a major corporation the way other studios are (though Sony owns a good chunk of 'em.)

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

galagazombie posted:

Electro ruled and if the movie had just been Spidey fighting him and Rhino it would have cleared a billion easy.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

galagazombie posted:

I don’t think it’s the same character(because that doesn’t make any sense), they’re just bringing him back to play a new version of Electro.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
With a multiverse anything can make sense. Bring Tobey and Andrew back and get the Spider-Verse folks in live-action. Why not if the rights are going to go back to Sony after this flick anyway?

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

feedmyleg posted:

With a multiverse anything can make sense. Bring Tobey and Andrew back and get the Spider-Verse folks in live-action. Why not if the rights are going to go back to Sony after this flick anyway?

Spider Man Noir stand-alone film. Somebody needs to make this happen.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

RatHat posted:

I don’t think it’s the same character(because that doesn’t make any sense), they’re just bringing him back to play a new version of Electro.

I don't know how you'd tell the difference or why you'd care if you could.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

The rights have always been with Sony :psyduck: how do you people think this deal worked, hell, it wasn’t even Sony approaching Marvel, it was Marvel approaching Sony because they wanted to use Spider-Man in their movies, and a deal they offered where, in exchange for using Spider-Man in the MCU, Sony would have access to certain Marvel characters and other IP upon approval, Sony would get some small (like 5%) amount of the gross from movies Spidey appeared in that were released by Disney, and they could sell the movies they made under the deal as being part of the MCU, of course. Sony would maintain total control of casting and hiring of creative for their Spider-Man movies (while also having to pay for 100% of them, including RDJ’s ridiculous quote), with Kevin Feige operating in a consultative role, basically “godfathering” the film the same way Nolan “godfathered” Man of Steel. He had some degree of approval over the script, insofar as it couldn’t run against plans they had for Spider-Man or other Marvel characters in the Disney movies that would surround the release of Sony’s. But Disney never “owned” him as a film character, as the rights to the character in movies stayed in Sony’s hands the whole time. (If Sony needed to go to Disney, after all, why would Disney not try to make a deal where they’d get back their far-and-away most popular character and all his related IP? They would have had the leverage in such a situation.)

Sony actually turned down the deal at first; this was an interim time after Pascal had stepped down from her position - and it was Pascal, who formed a production company, Pascal Pictures, following her leaving Sony, who talked Marvel into approaching Sony since she had been a mentor to Feige when he was but a wee associate producer on the first Raimi movie while Amy ran that whole show, the success of the first two being what got her the position as the creative head of Sony Pictures - but Layton, the business end of the duo, was still in his (waiting out his contract to take a “job” on the board of Snap, Inc). Kaz Hirai, still CEO of Sony Corp at the time, got wind of this meeting and basically forced Layton to call them back and take the deal. It was also likely that around the same time John Drake in Sony Interactive Entertainment was talking to Marvel about the Spider-Man game and that there was an obvious benefit to the company overall to have poo poo be somewhat coordinated. (Note that the deal there worked out so well that Disney basically swiped Drake from SIE to run their third-party relations.)

It wasn’t the first time Disney worked out a weird sort of deal - when they bought Marvel, The Avengers was already in pre-production and Paramount had put some money in, as they had been doing since Iron Man as the distributor of the MCU. Disney basically bought the distribution of Iron Man 3 and the Avengers off of Paramount in 2010 (and in 2013 grabbed the rest of the prior MCU films), in exchange for letting Paramount keep their logo at the head of the films and get a healthy percentage of both Avengers and IM3’s gross returns. I think they literally got a fifth of Avengers and 15% of Iron Man 3, it was a ridiculous number, I remember that much.

So it’s really just a weird deal in which Disney has been effectively licensing their own character to appear in their own movies from a company who happens to have exclusive rights in this certain format to him. Fun with show business law! Like Monopoly for nutcases.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I mean yeah they can always renegotiate. You seen to have taken some weird umbrage with my wording, but the fact is that Marvel's deal with Sony expires after this film.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Oct 3, 2020

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Either party may want to re-up the deal and Disney has basically no creative control over it as it is, it's like saying "the Disney deal's over after this movie so why WOULDN'T they have Danny Elfman do the music for this one."

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

It’s not so much one person, but just the general belief that continually floats around that Sony ran to Disney and begged them to save Spider-Man when it was more Marvel/Disney wanting to try to juice the returns on their biggest and most expensive movies ever by having what’s still the single most popular Marvel character by a long shot in them. Conveniently also giving the license holder in this case, Sony, a sweet deal and an out from the Amazing series - which died because ASM2 did horribly in the US ($202 million is real bad when the also poorly-received Spider-Man 3 did $334 million domestic), where, as we know, the split is most favorable for a studio due to there being far less intermediaries to slice out the returns with.

Like, people can talk up ASM2 all they like (that’s fine, I’m something of a fan of Spidey 3 myself), but that movie bombed in the home market to a level no other Spider-Man film had and made the myriad ideas for spin-offs just seem like engaging in sunk cost fallacy.

Same reason the 2016 Ghostbusters reboot hit a wall - it barely made more, unadjusted, than 1989’s Ghostbusters 2 (a whopping $14 million more) and came in at about the same amount of the first movie’s very original release domestically, which of course when you actually adjust for inflation means it made about $300 million less(!) than the first and $220 million less(!!) than the sequel and ended up costing Sony a lot of money. No wonder they appear to be going hard into hitting the nostalgia button with Afterlife.

ASM2 at least crawled to profitability, but only like $70 million or so with very limited paths forward to take the series and the stink of failure on it in the country where the character is most popular. It did not bode well for a third time at the plate for the Garfield/Webb combo, especially without Stone to bring her particular charm and appeal with women.

Anyway, I have doubts that all of that prodding the fan base that Disney did late last year to force Sony into continuing the relationship only led to them squeezing one more movie out of the deal (which definitely was done with after Far From Home, the whole inciting incident of that whole thing was Sony saying they were going forward without Marvel involvement on the follow-up to FFH). I’d be shocked if that was the case. Even if it is, what prevents Disney from just poking the fan base into a frothing rage again to keep stringing the deal along, unless this year plus without Marvel movies does actually undermine the cultural cache it held for a decade?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

feedmyleg posted:

I mean yeah they can always renegotiate. You seen to have taken some weird umbrage with my wording, but the fact is that Marvel's deal with Sony expires after this film.

The new deal is for two more movies between them. So the next Spidey and then something else.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Regal has announced that with the Bond delay they're just going to shut back down for the foreseeable.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

muscles like this! posted:

Regal has announced that with the Bond delay they're just going to shut back down for the foreseeable.
RIP movie theaters

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I just knew I would get a bunch of post-irony posts about Mister Freeze by smartasses but I just stepped on that rake like Sideshow Bob anyway. And this thread is literally the only place I have heard good things said about ASM2 or its Electro.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Post irony sure, if it means unironic enjoyment of good things. Schwarzenegger knew exactly what kind of movie Schumacher was making, so his performance was spot on. Of course 90s audiences couldn't take it, they wanted grim dark Batman for grown ups like themselves, very serious.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I still think Batman and Robin is hilarious and works as a campy comedy. Batman Forever, on the other hand, still tries to be serious and as a result the campiness becomes cringe worthy.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I find the Batman & Robin camp to be charming but absolutely exhausting. It's fun to watch a scene here or there in a vacuum, but watching the whole movie is interminable.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

I maintain that the dialogue in Batman & Robin is really funny and clever and most of the actors do a fine to good job, but it's difficult to watch as a movie. The lighting and set design is just so ugly.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

feedmyleg posted:

I find the Batman & Robin camp to be charming but absolutely exhausting. It's fun to watch a scene here or there in a vacuum, but watching the whole movie is interminable.

This, it's like the opening to Mystery Men and they just never stop.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Batman Forever soundtrack rules

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Remember the 'shuffle' button on DVD remotes which nobody ever used? You can use it on Batman & Robin, and the story will make just as much sense. Just a series of garishly-lit scenes of people hamming it up way beyond cartoonish levels, interspersed with nonsensical Dutch-angled action sequences designed to sell toys.

Have to admit to a weird liking for Batman Forever, though. Probably because the 4% speed increase and pitch-shift of the PAL conversion makes Jim Carrey sound inhumanly manic.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

They should bring back Jim Carrey for Justice League 2.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Justice League vs Dr Robotnik

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Please no, a DC movie about collecting a bunch of rings is how you get Green Lantern movies.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
And we already had a super hero movie about collecting all the chaos emeralds.

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

Give James Gunn the chance to direct a green lantern movie imo

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Skeletome posted:

Give James Gunn the chance to direct a green lantern movie imo

Eehhhh I’d rather have someone else.

The key would be a creative team with imagination for the designs and what the ring can create. Call Geiger back up from the dead even. Blend it into horror. Space as scary and terrifying and thus these bright lanterns shine through. Del Toro even.

Like Event Horizon but Green Lanterns

Also if they do a storyline the biggest one I would say is the Sinestro Corps War and Blackest Night

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
That's more of a Yellow Lantern schtick; they're the fear mongers, while Green is willpower.

So, Del Toro and David Lynch. I don't care who gets which color.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Do the loving Robert Smeigel one already. Goddamn that was a great script.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I thought the Ryan Reynolds movie was alright. People make fun of the race car track construct at the start, but then in the same breath they tend to claim Green Lantern's all have boring unimaginative constructs like giant fists. Pick a lane. Do you want weird constructs, or do you want sensible and dull? The main problem was that the primary plot of the movie was lacking and Galactus was lame.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

BioEnchanted posted:

I thought the Ryan Reynolds movie was alright. People make fun of the race car track construct at the start, but then in the same breath they tend to claim Green Lantern's all have boring unimaginative constructs like giant fists. Pick a lane. Do you want weird constructs, or do you want sensible and dull? The main problem was that the primary plot of the movie was lacking and Galactus was lame.

The main problem was that Hal Jordan in that movie is a tremendous rear end in a top hat who never learns and never receives any comeuppance for being such a massive douchebag. It's been years since I've seen it but it's still seared in my brain that he screws up a test flight due to overconfidence/trauma/daddy issues, costs a bunch of people their jobs and when two of them are out to confront him later he mouths off about it. He first uses his power ring to floor these guys he directly sent into unemployment. He then crashes his nephew's birthday party to whine about it. And so on.

The movie would be good if it acknowledged Hal being an entitled gently caress-up. Instead it's about how he has to overcome fear, or some poo poo.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

BioEnchanted posted:

I believe it is Parallax, but no one will judge you for mixing up your CGI poo poo cloud monsters.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Yeah, I was thinking of Fantastic 4 Rise of the Silver Surfer. Whoops. Also the Green Lantern xbox 360 game owns, it spends it's whole run time on varying planets as you fight the Manhunters (an ancient race of robot people that were the prior force before the lanterns, and want their spots as universe police back)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Remulak posted:

Do the loving Robert Smeigel one already. Goddamn that was a great script.

Wait what? What''s this? Is this the one that was supposed to be a funny one starring Jack Black (I think) ?