Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Popete posted:

All flight sims should have a remap function that tells you what button number you just pressed before committing the assignment and warns you of a conflict (with a name).

DCS does all of that and it's really useful.

I've mostly got the button layout configured which is always the most painful part of a new flight sim.

That would be great although I understand it's not a sim, it would be a nice quality of life addition
It's fun as hell though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Just did a long session with a bunch of goons. Tons of fun even though we did get rolled the last two rounds.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I played a round as the Imps and they are just kind of unimpressive overall? I get that they are speedier and have more hull but if your goal is hit and run tactics you really need to get stuck in and finish them off so they don't regenerate the damage, which isn't hit and run

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Confession: On my first play of the story I missed the opening intro as my son was having issues and after about 15 mins playing I restarted the game cursing it for a bug where it put me on the Imperial side even though I 'know drat well I chose Rebel' :v:

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
VR pro: lookin around and being able to spot players without relying on targeting as much
VR con: constantly crashing into poo poo because I am looking around for other players

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
VR isn't like room vr, your head position is fixed you can only swivel your view around, leaning doesn't change your sight lines

Mide
Jun 2, 2009
My game sound through my Index seems so low. I want to really hear the pew pew but for some reason the game volume won’t go any higher and it’s generally lower than what I play games at. The weird part though is my comms chat can get LOUD. Had to turn it down to 20%. Also the game doesn’t allow me to use my keyboard if I’m using both my VR headset and my joystick. But if I’m on my flatscreen, I can use both...

BigRoman
Jun 19, 2005
Tie Fighter was one of my favorite games as a kid. I am not very into online multiplayer. I am getting serious tie fighter vibes, but am wondering if I should skip it, since its seems to be mostly about multiplayer. Thoughts?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Online is finally working for me! And holy poo poo is this fun. I've done a bunch of dogfights (had the most kills once even!) and also did a vs AI fleet battle. I can't figure out how bombers work so it looks like I'll keep maining the a-wing and TIE Interceptor. Holy crap is this fun. My HOTAS still feels a little weird cuz of the deadzone issues but it's still quite flyable.

BigRoman posted:

Tie Fighter was one of my favorite games as a kid. I am not very into online multiplayer. I am getting serious tie fighter vibes, but am wondering if I should skip it, since its seems to be mostly about multiplayer. Thoughts?

There's a whole single player campaign, it seems pretty good so far. Plus the fleet battles really don't feel like multiplayer with how many AI ships there are. I'm not much of a multiplayer person either but it's been great fun so far.

Edit: seriously I'm terrible at multiplayer games and I cannot tell you how good it felt to do a dogfight and have 12 kills when the next closest person only had 6. If you get the controls set up right this game is amazing.

axeil fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Oct 3, 2020

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Popete posted:

All flight sims should have a remap function that tells you what button number you just pressed before committing the assignment and warns you of a conflict (with a name).

DCS does all of that and it's really useful.

I've mostly got the button layout configured which is always the most painful part of a new flight sim.

Really, any game that expects you to use a controller that isn't a PS4 or Xbox controller.

You can get away with saying "press Triangle" because Sony has worked really hard to make that same design ubiquitous and has maintained it across generations of consoles. Almost everybody who plays games knows X from Circle.

But when there's 100 different HOTAS designs, expecting people to memorize which button is "9" is unreasonable and an oversight.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Spookydonut posted:

VR isn't like room vr, your head position is fixed you can only swivel your view around, leaning doesn't change your sight lines

No, I think this is wrong. At least on SteamVR, I can absolutely lean around and get different sight lines.

Its even kinda an issue because they forgot to program in a way to set your in-game VR height, so depending upon your roomscale setup you may find yourself in the ground and unable to see where you're driving over the joystick.

Fixed view swivel VR hasn't been done since... DK1. It feels dramatically awful. No commercial VR games do that AFAIK.

I don't think it necessarily makes a huuuuuuge difference to gameplay... but you can absolutely move your head around and have different sight lines.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Oct 3, 2020

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Eej posted:

I know the A-Wing's bubble canopy is ridiculously good but I would probably say that the TIE canopy is better than the truck simulator of the Y-Wing because in space there'll often be targets below you.

Well, theoretically better if that dang console wasn't in the way! 2D struggles...

Love the "Can't look down on a ship that comes with 'drop bombs below' as it's default heavy weapon." Love everything else about the "SPACE TRUCK" aesthetic of the Y-wing cockpit though.

Anyways picked up the game and was all "Ugh, gonna have to go out and get a new controller because I lost mine in the move" but was surprised at how well the M+KB controls hold up. They're basically the War Thunder controls. You just gotta find a good sweet spot for the sensitivity and mouse deadzone.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Oct 3, 2020

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I want to love this but the technical issues are making it a pain in the rear end. I found a workaround for the "crash to desktop when you launch in VR" now I'm getting random drops to like 2 FPS in VR, so I switched to flatscreen just to play the campaign a bit more and it's doing it there as well.

It's a crying shame because it's a bright shiny apple just littered with worms after the first bite.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Zaphod42 posted:

No, I think this is wrong. At least on SteamVR, I can absolutely lean around and get different sight lines.

Its even kinda an issue because they forgot to program in a way to set your in-game VR height, so depending upon your roomscale setup you may find yourself in the ground and unable to see where you're driving over the joystick.

Fixed view swivel VR hasn't been done since... DK1. It feels dramatically awful. No commercial VR games do that AFAIK.

I don't think it necessarily makes a huuuuuuge difference to gameplay... but you can absolutely move your head around and have different sight lines.

whaaaaaaaaaaaat my vr setup must be borked

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

Mide posted:

My game sound through my Index seems so low. I want to really hear the pew pew but for some reason the game volume won’t go any higher and it’s generally lower than what I play games at. The weird part though is my comms chat can get LOUD. Had to turn it down to 20%. Also the game doesn’t allow me to use my keyboard if I’m using both my VR headset and my joystick. But if I’m on my flatscreen, I can use both...

No idea if this is the same thing, but I've randomly got a bug a few times where the sound mixing buggers up mid-match, and the majority of the main sound effects and music are muffle and very quiet, but the comms chatter and player character barks come through at full volume.

I do love the random chatter interjected into to the multiplayer. It's a real nice touch. They even apply the atmospheric distortion vocal effects from A New Hope!

I also like how your player character seems to mutter to themselves, grunt and cheer accordingly. Really adds to the Star Warsiness of it all, when the character exclaims things like 'Not today!' when successfully evading missiles. Also the rebel pilot seems quite jovial and cocky, and the Imperial character seems to have a more deadpan vadery gruff voice. At least it's the case for the avatars I chose. Not sure if there's unique voice acting for each one.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I take back my previous comment about a controller feeling the most natural. On I think the 2nd single player mission and I literally could not dodge a single lock on. I switched to my joystick and did it the first try.

The rotation still feels wonky to me, like left/right and the twisting should be swapped. Is that pitch and roll? Should I buy pedals?

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug
I already put almost 5 hours in. Question: Is pitch speed dramatically faster than yaw speed? It feels that it might be faster to roll and pitch than yaw in many cases, but it might just be my imagination. I'm playing with a xbox 360 controller for whatever that's worth.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

Spookydonut posted:

Only having 3Dof sounds like a really painful problem for VR. What headset are you using?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Spookydonut posted:

That sucks

Yeah I can definitely lean around. If you try to go too far the screen blacks out, but you can move your head around inside the seat you just can't like get up and walk around the ship. (Not that you could on an X-Wing but a Y-wing or whatever)

These cockpits are soooo good. Its just a drat shame everything outside of the cockpit is a blurry mess.

My pilot is nearsighted :smith:

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
Holy poo poo I'm terrible at this game. Maybe I'm handicapping myself by flying with a joystick but I really struggle to accomplish anything before rapidly dying.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Another good feature I like is losing more mmr for losing a 4v5 than I get for winning a 5v5

aaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAA

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead
Finished the campaign and enjoyed it overall. There's a lot of great visuals, decent mission variety, and while the dogfgihting can be frustrating given just how many fighters you have to take out, constantly, all the time, I rarely actually died -- but I did often feel like I didn't have time to actually look at some of the cool setpieces. That said, the final two missions were really weak as a finale: You spend so much time getting to know these squadrons that it feels like you're building towards a split ending where you have to face one of them as opposition, but... nope, somehow nobody dies and everyone wins. It just feels like it built to not much at all.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Since I'm only really interested in this for the VR, it sounds like there are enough issues that I should wait for a patch or two to see if they're resolved. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this though. If they fix it, I'll buy it. If I like it and think that I'll play long term, I'll see about getting a Gladiator NXT.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Boy I would love to play fleet battle vs ai like it recommends, but on playstation it keeps failing at matchmaking. Cool.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

And the award for 2020 worst tutorial of the year goes too...Star Wars Squadrons: Drifting.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Okay, on Quest Link the trick to avoid all the issues I was having is to set it to 59.97 or whatever FPS and windowed mode. No, I don't know why that should make a difference but it seems to.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
They keep saying squadron, I do not think they know what that word means.

They maybe mean wing?

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Whatever you do, in the 13th mission, do not take burst fire lasers, take the standard lasers with the 1k range, trust me.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Welp I was playing dogfight and four dudes locked onto and fired lockon missiles at me at the same time (a big fat ENEMY LOCK x4 followed by MISSILE INCOMING x4 in the middle of my screen) and I ducked all four missiles without flares because they were on cooldown

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgbURB7-Ymc

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Spookydonut posted:

They keep saying squadron, I do not think they know what that word means.

They maybe mean wing?

This does annoy me with my misspent youth as a zoomie: five fighters is at most a flight. Four or five flights to a squadron, four or five squadrons to a wing.

Then I jostle back and forth between "It's a long time ago in a galaxy far far away" and "if that's the case then they are translating from Galactic Basic to English and should use the most fitting organizational translation.

Then I realize that all you have to do to be a General in the Alliance is defect or be/be friends with the Main Characters and nothing about the military organization is meant to stand up to scrutiny beyond the intended audience of children playing with action figures. I guess they just kind of hand out honorary "generalships" to recognize exemplary valor and service. It kind of follows RPG logic: "General Solo" does command a handful of "NPC" troops but they never say anything and are never around to do much when they are interacting with setpieces. Would have been a way different movie if Beard Commando had said "hey wait a minute our CO was captured by hostile natives, auresh squad, besh squad on me, we're putting an end to this teddy bear picnic."

:spergin:

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Oct 3, 2020

Lokee
Oct 2, 2013

The brown sea is dark and full of terrors, but the paywall burns them all away.
Are there multiple discords running? All I know of is https://discord.gg/265rHqc

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Spookydonut posted:

16 + POV hat was enough to get me through all the tutorial levels

I really want to be able to bind something to 'targetting me' rather than having to double tap 'cycle targets'
You can: check the control bindings and there should be a specific (unbound by default) key option to have "targeting me" on its own button. Same for a "cycle target" option that doesn't combo into "targeting me" so you can rapid-fire cycle without worrying about accidentally triggering the combo.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

And the award for 2020 worst tutorial of the year goes too...Star Wars Squadrons: Drifting.

Special button that's only used for this one maneuver? Naw, that doesn't seem like an important thing to tell the player about. Just turn!

TBF, I did get a pop-up with the instructions after I failed it a few times - I suspect the pop-up trigger is just too easy to miss.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

I lost mmr for this match that fired as a 4v5

Whoever designed the ranked mode was loving drunk

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you
It's a good thing this game is a blast to play because I had to push through an agonizing amount of technical issues to get it going.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Mar 23, 2021

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

sincx posted:

i LOVE this game even though I SUCK at it

lmao

How I feel as well. Getting better. And then every now and then you fight the team that only turns left and you're like "...really?"

Also I wanna say the AI hero pilots go from "might as well not there" to absolute levels of bullshit.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

This game makes me want to spend a bunch of money I don't have on a HOTAS and VR kit.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
i wish everything wasn't so dang fast so there was more time to appreciate how nice everything looks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Spent some time remapping the joystick button mappings from the right to left side. Apparently some psycho expects you to use it left handed with the throttle on the right. I don't care if that's how the real airbus is, it is wrong!

Edit - There's a switch on the bottom toggled to left handed.

I am a moron.

Haptical Sales Slut fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Oct 3, 2020