Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Besides the one set of factory wheels I have, none of my wheels are hub centric. If anyone did that do me, it would sound like a rock tumbler only moving a few inches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

BraveUlysses posted:

they don't stick well to dirty or brake dust covered wheels do they

Imagine the noise they'll make as they break loose.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

PainterofCrap posted:

Imagine the noise they'll make as they break loose.

That would suck for whoever is following them

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
My race wheels have those on them because, lol, you can order racing tires at Costco. I lost like 4 and don't know when.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

LifeSunDeath posted:

You could always use neodymium magnets instead.

Won't work for aluminum wheels.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

wesleywillis posted:

Won't work for aluminum wheels.

For those I use gallium.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Does that stick to aluminum like a magnet?

Echotic
Oct 20, 2013

LifeSunDeath posted:

For those I use gallium.

:stonk:

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
For aluminum you use self-tapping screws.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

LifeSunDeath posted:

For those I use gallium.

Oh wow, this thread just came full circle. Isn't gallium vs aluminum a fixture of the early pages of this thread, like 9 years ago?

E: oh poo poo, 11 years ago

kastein fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Oct 1, 2020

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

kastein posted:

Oh wow, this thread just came full circle. Isn't gallium vs aluminum a fixture of the early pages of this thread, like 9 years ago?

E: oh poo poo, 11 years ago

Now look at your join date, 2011, now look at it again ON WEED. No but seriously we were just talking about gallium in the chem thread today so it was on my mind when someone said aluminum wheels.

LifeSunDeath fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Oct 1, 2020

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Chris Knight posted:

I used to work in a parking garage. People had the hardest time trying to drive normal sized cars and compacts up to the booth to pay, and meanwhile one of the older ladies who lived there had this giant 60s Cadillac that she could maneuver around all day with no problems.

I find old cars much easier to drive than modern cars because of the boxy structure and nice big windows. On say an 80s Crown Vic, you can see four distinct corners on the hood and the trunk, and you know that the bumpers extend just a couple inches out from that point. And, despite being a "boat", it was narrower than pretty much any non-compact car from the last decade or so. If they weren't such loving gas hogs I'd buy another.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

This shouldn’t happen on a 6 month old car, right?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Looks like the tire was driven at very low tire pressure for some time, so the age of the car is irrelevant as to that happening.

Pay attention to your tire pressures, was your TPMS not showing an alert?

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
That's screams low tire pressure.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

BlackMK4 posted:

Looks like the tire was driven at very low tire pressure for some time, so the age of the car is irrelevant as to that happening.

Pay attention to your tire pressures, was your TPMS not showing an alert?

Nope; the TPMS light never went off (until the tire disintegrated on my pregnant wife at 70mph). I just checked the pressures a few days ago since it’s starting to cool off outside and all of the tires were within 2-3 psi of spec.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yeah, the tread looks perfect on those tires, so either

1) they were ancient tires sitting in a warehouse for 10 years drying out before someone dug them up and mounted them on a new car (extremely unlikely)
2) there is a manufacturing flaw in the tire that would cause it to split in half after a few thousand miles (extremely unlikely)
3) the tire was driven nearly flat for a long time, flexing and straining the sidewall until it split (significantly more likely)

If you are positive that the tire hasn't been driven low (could the TPMS sensor have failed?) then check the date code on the tires, and report it to the dealership and the tire company's PR twitter or whatever.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Oct 2, 2020

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Rock My Socks! posted:

Nope; the TPMS light never went off (until the tire disintegrated on my pregnant wife at 70mph). I just checked the pressures a few days ago since it’s starting to cool off outside and all of the tires were within 2-3 psi of spec.

There are 4 numbers in a box on the tire, what are they?

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

0419, so they’re just like a year and a half old?

Wouldn’t a bad TPMS sensor cause the TPMS light to flash on most cars?

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

It does on my 2007 Lexus, I'd imagine most (all?) newer cars would do the same thing?

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987
Maybe the tire was made by Tesla

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

If the TPMS went off and was cleared, it won't re alert again on some cars even if the pressure gets a lot lower.

Dr.Smasher posted:

Maybe the tire was made by Tesla

ahem...firestone

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

This graining pattern on the sidewall is from heat, it was driven at low tire pressure. When you see tire blowouts from age or defect they generally look like a bomb went off on the sidewall.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

TheBacon posted:

If the TPMS went off and was cleared, it won't re alert again on some cars even if the pressure gets a lot lower.

ahem...firestone

Continental actually

We just had it at the Acura dealer for an oil change last Wednesday; is it at all possible that they hosed something up?

Now that I think about it, the car was a 2020 CPO that we bought with like 2000ish miles on the odometer. Is it possible that it was driven with excessively low pressure before we bought it, compromising the structure of the tire?

Bouillon Rube fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Oct 2, 2020

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Rock My Socks! posted:

0419, so they’re just like a year and a half old?

Wouldn’t a bad TPMS sensor cause the TPMS light to flash on most cars?

Typically, but that tire was run flat or very low for more than a bit. Either it was unnoticed or faulty, but either way the driver should have had a ":wtf: this is not normal" moment as they are driving.

Regardless of idiot light status, that's not something that happens in a split second. Guaranteed.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Rock My Socks! posted:

Now that I think about it, the car was a 2020 CPO that we bought with like 2000ish miles on the odometer. Is it possible that it was driven with excessively low pressure before we bought it, compromising the structure of the tire?

yes. a few hundred miles at near-flat pressure is enough to cause the sort of heat damage alluded to above (though the actual destruction could happen at any later time). why was it pre-owned with only 2000 miles?

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Probably a loaner car

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Yeah, definitely. Normally I would have avoided a loaner, but Acura’s CPO warranty is really good and it was like $8k less than a new RDX would have been.

We had it towed to to Discount Tire and the guy there comped us a new tire; no idea why :confused:

Not going to complain though!

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Comping you a new tire is pretty cool of them. I'd assume they had one kicking around that didn't have a set, so they couldn't really sell it, and figured they could drum up some serious goodwill and get rid of an inventory problem at the same time.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

It was probably under a mileage/age warranty they could claim out. Even if it was likely (a prior) user error.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Goober Peas posted:

It was probably under a mileage/age warranty they could claim out. Even if it was likely (a prior) user error.

Every tire warranty says it's not valid if run flat, but who knows... Karma shining down on them, I guess.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
I guess the lesson here is that it's not enough to make sure all tires have proper pressure. You also need to test the TPMS, probably by lowering the pressure on each tire one by one and check that you receive the alerts.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Upset that it isn't a chrome honda wing tbh

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Saukkis posted:

I guess the lesson here is that it's not enough to make sure all tires have proper pressure. You also need to test the TPMS, probably by lowering the pressure on each tire one by one and check that you receive the alerts.

Not only that, but if it was actually driven on low PSI before he got it, it's worth a look at the other tires to be safe. Last thing you want is another surprise flat like that & if one tire is low, there's a non-zero chance one of the others was as well.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Not only that, but if it was actually driven on low PSI before he got it, it's worth a look at the other tires to be safe. Last thing you want is another surprise flat like that & if one tire is low, there's a non-zero chance one of the others was as well.

How would you even do that, run a boroscope through the valve stem?

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Weirdly high sidewall wear is the easiest clue. The tread will also be deeper in the center of the tire if the problem went on for long enough.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

It's not that horrible, but here's a homegrown failure, this thread has given me great entertainment so I should contribute. I wondered why the car was getting so hot idling, so I got the water pump out:

next to the new one:

I just hope the fins aren't lodged in a water pipe somewhere....

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Chrpno posted:

It's not that horrible, but here's a homegrown failure, this thread has given me great entertainment so I should contribute. I wondered why the car was getting so hot idling, so I got the water pump out:

next to the new one:

I just hope the fins aren't lodged in a water pipe somewhere....

Well unless you got them out when you drained the coolant then...

The outlet of the water pump goes directly to the radiator, yea?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

New radiator it is :argh:

I think it should go to the thermostat first so you have a chance that they are stuck in there.