Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Just in the last month we lost two of the best pitchers of that era (Seaver and now Gibson). Lou Brock also died not that long ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Fun Fact: apparently Gibson needed glasses

https://twitter.com/JohnSheaHey/status/1312238505376923648

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Sometime in the mid 80-s I found a biography of him in the elementary school library and it included some old family photos and there was one of Gibson in some full on Poindexter Coke bottle glasses.

Funner Fact: Bob Gibson played for the Harlem Globetrotters before making the majors.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/just-because-bob-gibson-basketball-star/

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lvh6NLqKRfs

I knew about bob Gibson before the bob emergency but I didn't Know About Bob Gibson before the Bob emergency

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Tim McCarver once thought he could talk Gibson through a scenario. Gibson told him to get back behind plate, that the only thing he knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

I realized I didn't know much about Gibson except he was great, so I've been reading his SABR biography. It includes this bit from 1967.

quote:

The development of the young pitchers was critical to the Cardinals’ drive to the pennant when Gibson was forced onto the disabled list on July 15 after suffering a broken leg. In that day’s game against the Pirates, a liner off the bat of Roberto Clemente caromed off Gibson’s right shin. Gibson pitched to three more batters before his leg finally snapped just above the ankle. The episode cemented Gibson’s reputation as a competitive, gutsy player. He returned to the rotation in September and finished the regular season with a 13-7 record. He won all three of his starts in the 1967 World Series as the Cardinals defeated the Boston Red Sox in seven games. All three of his starts were complete games, giving him five consecutive World Series-game victories...

Gibson's ERA in 1968 was 1.12. No wonder they lowered the mound after that season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YldXACT668g

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Julio Cruz posted:

holy hell did Javy Baez fall off an absolute loving cliff this year :stare:

Teams finally realized that all you need to do is spam breaking balls low and away at him like you're playing The Show and he'll swing at them all day long.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Timby posted:

Teams finally realized that all you need to do is spam breaking balls low and away at him like you're playing The Show and he'll swing at them all day long.

It's not even that, they figured that out in 2017, and then he figured out that they're gonna hang them occasionally and he can just sit on those and put divots on Waveland. He's swinging through FBs now. He apparently really depended on looking at film on the ipad in the dugout, and they don't let you do that anymore. Basically gently caress the astros

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

I’ll give you one guess why

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Popete posted:

ACAB (All Centrals Are Bad)

Fun 2020 Fact: The Cardinals lead the NL Central in team wRC+ with 93.

more falafel please posted:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lvh6NLqKRfs

I knew about bob Gibson before the bob emergency but I didn't Know About Bob Gibson before the Bob emergency

This was exactly my experience. His domination of the league was utterly insane.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

It's not even that, they figured that out in 2017, and then he figured out that they're gonna hang them occasionally and he can just sit on those and put divots on Waveland. He's swinging through FBs now. He apparently really depended on looking at film on the ipad in the dugout, and they don't let you do that anymore. Basically gently caress the astros

That smacks of a poor excuse, not convinced Javy watching footage of himself swinging through three straight up and in fastballs was going to help him next AB.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

You can blame the Astros for a lot but you can't pin Baez's struggles on them. Hopefully he owns it and comes back strong next year.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

:lmao:

Now it's the Astros fault Javy can't hit a fastball, good poo poo

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Intruder posted:

:lmao:

Now it's the Astros fault Javy can't hit a fastball, good poo poo

they banged the cans

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

R.D. Mangles posted:

they banged the cans

Mark Grace calls that a slumpbuster

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Intruder posted:

Mark Grace calls that a slumpbuster

I get it

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Important news: Dodgers-Padres will be called by an actual good, skilled broadcaster

https://twitter.com/Joe_Davis/status/1312232032143982592

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Round 2 bandwagon tier list:

S: Padres
A: A's, Rays, Braves
B: Dodgers, Marlins
C: Yankees
F: Astros

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

bees x1000 posted:

Round 2 bandwagon tier list:

S: Padres, Marlins, A's, Rays
A:
B:
C: Dodgers, Braves
F(uck the): Yankees, Astros

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Julio Cruz posted:

S tier: Padres, A's
A tier: Jays, White Sox, Rays
B tier: Twins
C tier: Reds,
Marlins, Brewers
D tier: Yankees, Dodgers
E tier: Indians, Cubs
F tier: Astros, Cardinals, Braves

the dream of a Padres-A's Series is still on the table :gritin:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

S: Marlins
F: Yankees

That is all

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

the marlins need to win it all just to keep it going and also so i will be less mad

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
The only thing that bumps Marlins off the top of the list for me is a smug Derek Jeter feeling justified for tearing the team apart and lucking into a World Series 2 years later.

Let's go A's.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Its funny that both Cy Youngs and most likely the AL MVP are all coming from the dead Central.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Popete posted:

The only thing that bumps Marlins off the top of the list for me is a smug Derek Jeter feeling justified for tearing the team apart and lucking into a World Series 2 years later.

that is the Marlins Way and I accept it, plus that is going to be the only way the cubs win another world series while the ricketts family owns the team.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Popete posted:

Let's go A's.

lmao the 2021 fire sale of noted baseball guys Garrett Cooper and Brandon Kintzler will be incredible

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

R.D. Mangles posted:

that is the Marlins Way and I accept it, plus that is going to be the only way the cubs win another world series while the ricketts family owns the team.

Marlins way is lucking into a WS, then do the tear down

Jeter has it backwards

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
My man Starlin Castro gets traded to the Yankees in 2016 from the Cubs, Cubs win World Series that year. Becomes a free agent in 2019, isn't resigned by the Marlins and goes to Washington the year after they won the World Series, Miami will not probably win it this year.

I want him to get a ring.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

if Matt Chapman was alive I’d be feeling a lot more confident

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Popete posted:

My man Starlin Castro gets traded to the Yankees in 2016 from the Cubs, Cubs win World Series that year. Becomes a free agent in 2019, isn't resigned by the Marlins and goes to Washington the year after they won the World Series, Miami will not probably win it this year.

I want him to get a ring.

Except Starlin Castro sucks and has always sucked. Why do Cubs fan have a perpetual boner for a guy who is lucky enough to get on base at a .300 clip if he has an otherworldly BABIP?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Paperback Writer posted:

if Matt Chapman was alive I’d be feeling a lot more confident

I completely forgot about that

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
Couldn't find the losers thread so here.

https://twitter.com/Phillies/status/1312482866849181696

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

oh come on, "reassigned?" I dont want his moron brain anywhere near this organization

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

oh come on, "reassigned?" I dont want his moron brain anywhere near this organization

he's gonna end up as 1B coach if previous Phillies GMs are any indication

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Timby posted:

Except Starlin Castro sucks and has always sucked. Why do Cubs fan have a perpetual boner for a guy who is lucky enough to get on base at a .300 clip if he has an otherworldly BABIP?

Hey OP, you suck

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.
do the LDSs/LCSs get separate threads? i hope not

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Popete posted:

Hey OP, you suck

wow rude I didn't even say anything about how awful starlin castro is

1/1 Kyle Hendricks's agree with me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXVo0J18s4w

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Oct 3, 2020

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Go Yankees and Marlins especially.

Boo Houston and Tampa specifically.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Hard to follow baseball you know with the president maybe dying but

https://twitter.com/tommoorephilly/status/1312498812070424576?s=21

Lamo

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Resigned means he agreed to take less money to stay employed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

euphronius posted:

Resigned means he agreed to take less money to stay employed

But Klentak shouldn't be still employed. Phillies should have sent him back to the Angles, not let him keep loving around in philly