Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Open Source Idiom posted:

But, like, this happens all the time in TV and film, and I've never seen it be the case that the person on the other end was aware they were being watched, or capable of sending head explosion magic through the camera lens.

(Which, uh, why didn't she?)

If it turns out to be foreshadowing, then awesome, but you can forgive everyone else for lumping it in with all the other times it was just generic spookiness.

I feel like almost every time that shot gets used in like a horror movie or something it's meant to indicate "this person either senses you or knows you're watching them and is on their way to come gently caress you up"? Or at least much more often than it gets used as a random shot signifying nothing. As far as Cindy knew at that point literally nothing out of the ordinary was happening.

I'm not advocating for the "blowing everyone up through the TV" angle but to play devil's advocate with it, I suppose she didn't kill them for the same reason she didn't splatter them all over when they were face to face - Cindy isn't an indiscriminate killer and seems to have at least some sort of "code" - as far as we've seen with conclusive proof, she's only killed people directly responsible for her imprisonment and torture. She didn't even kill the guard until he actually magdumped into her back.

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Oct 4, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
It's Hughie exploding heads, it's his supe power he does not know he has. Vought brainwashed him as a child so he would subconsciously use it on anyone who posed a threat to the company.

Butcher is a nuisance but the CIA and Congress committees are an actual threat.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
But it literally didn't happen at all.

After the break out there's exactly one scene with them looking at the monitors. And yes, one of the inmates stares at the camera. Her eyes even glow and the camera goes nuts. MM does look all confused and alarmed.

That inmate isn't Cindy.

I'd love a timestamp where all this Cindy surveillance occurred cause I can't find it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

I'm more interested in how the country at large is going to react to the mass murder, rather than who did it.

Feel pretty confident that no matter who actually did it, Vought is going to find some way to play victim and act like this implies supe-terrorists are everywhere so please be afraid and give us more money.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Tiny supe theory: they can be little but their poop isn't super so it comes out normal size, pressure has to go somewhere so boom

Please pm me for my script doctor rates

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Azhais posted:

But it literally didn't happen at all.

After the break out there's exactly one scene with them looking at the monitors. And yes, one of the inmates stares at the camera. Her eyes even glow and the camera goes nuts. MM does look all confused and alarmed.

That inmate isn't Cindy.

I'd love a timestamp where all this Cindy surveillance occurred cause I can't find it.

:confused: It absolutely does happen. Starts at 19:50.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The first one was clearly the Chairman of the Committee. His head blew up first because whenever the chairperson of a House or Senate committee is bringing the chamber to order, the camera's always on them. Vogelbaum was next. Then random people's heads just started exploding.

Whoever was behind it, they wanted to make sure the cameras "got" it before just firing off into the crowd. It was a very public and brutal statement.

Yea, it was straight up "don't gently caress with Voight". No one else benefits from the deaths and chaos besides them. Someone took out the focus first, then the target, then sowed chaos by taking out randoms.

Also, if anyone thinks Frau Voight's plans are stupid or don't make sense or seem like they're literally trying to make dreams come true, that is totally in character with Nazis. They were incredibly stupid, short sighted, full of magical thinking, constantly trying to fit a square peg in a round hole. The Russians and the allies from the west were beating them back constantly, what did they do? Stepped up the murders because maybe if they kill enough Jews and Romas, then they'll win the war, also don't put your resources into building weapons that have proven battlefield records, put resources into building stupid wastes of time, money, materials and manpower!

Woden
May 6, 2006

Avasculous posted:

As a side note, when Maeve peeled up Black Noir's hood, it looked like he was actually black. If he's still alive (which seems unlikely, given Maeve's presence at the hearing), that would seem to confirm that they're not doing the comic book twist I've heard about with him.

He'll probably wake up in hospital next episode. Highly doubt he's dead.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
They called us crazy when I suggested a tread-footed robot with tanks for arms and a wing-designed plane for a head would be unfeasible, but the Bliztukenstaffendieselheffer is nearing completion!!!!!!

Stormfront pulling the Cuckoo because Ryan is the perfect Aryan ideal.was really loving gross and I just hate that character sooooooo much.

As for BlackNoir, I'd like to think the allergy incapacitated him but didn't kill him. His healing factor just made it incredibly, unbelievably lovely until the anaphylaxis wore off.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Oct 4, 2020

Woden
May 6, 2006
Still lolin' at that lasagna.

'New meatless recipe.' :discourse:

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Woden posted:

Still lolin' at that lasagna.

'New meatless recipe.' :discourse:

The little background gags have been great all throughout.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Black Hour's actor has a tree nut allergy and was the inspiration for the characters allergy. Also the actor that has been under the suit the whole time is how BN looks canonically, in the latest episode it's clearly his face but with severe scarring that matches the explosion in the first episode (BURN IN TRUTH!)

I wonder what chocolate bar he actually got stuffed in his face during the shoot lol

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

twistedmentat posted:

Also, if anyone thinks Frau Voight's plans are stupid or don't make sense or seem like they're literally trying to make dreams come true, that is totally in character with Nazis. They were incredibly stupid, short sighted, full of magical thinking, constantly trying to fit a square peg in a round hole. The Russians and the allies from the west were beating them back constantly, what did they do? Stepped up the murders because maybe if they kill enough Jews and Romas, then they'll win the war, also don't put your resources into building weapons that have proven battlefield records, put resources into building stupid wastes of time, money, materials and manpower!

Fascists aestheticize everything. The helmets the nazis were making for their soldiers were like, artisanal, handcrafted, triple-layered works of art for their 'warrior' caste. The allies went for highly automated production and maximum output. Ideology matters, kids. Fascism's mythical reifications and aesthetic fetishisms make it remarkably shite at comprehending and navigating modern conditions.

The way it's treated in this show is super heavy-handed. Having Stormfront be a literal like, era specific German Nazi is cheap ahistorical bullshit, like fascism was just a bunch of bad apples that sort of appeared in Europe mid-century out of nowhere and would have vanished except for magical immortality/supe serum. It never died and never will, as long as classed societies stratified along racial lines exist so will fascism. poo poo's built in baby.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

splifyphus posted:

Fascists aestheticize everything. The helmets the nazis were making for their soldiers were like, artisanal, handcrafted, triple-layered works of art for their 'warrior' caste. The allies went for highly automated production and maximum output. Ideology matters, kids. Fascism's mythical reifications and aesthetic fetishisms make it remarkably shite at comprehending and navigating modern conditions.

The way it's treated in this show is super heavy-handed. Having Stormfront be a literal like, era specific German Nazi is cheap ahistorical bullshit, like fascism was just a bunch of bad apples that sort of appeared in Europe mid-century out of nowhere and would have vanished except for magical immortality/supe serum. It never died and never will, as long as classed societies stratified along racial lines exist so will fascism. poo poo's built in baby.

I took it more as the corruption of Nazism existed long after they were defeated, how American business had a lot of connections with them, and how Nazis were cleaned up because it was more important to fight commies than fascists after the war. And that because of that, it has a clear resurgence because wiener kids who are hosed over by Capitalism and religion have nothing in their lives so they can only take pride in their skin colour.

But yea, her dreams of having millions of Sups to go all Turner Diaries on the world is insane and exactly what a Nazi would think. That she can convince everyone the same way she convinced Homelander? Hah, yea right. A-train saw right through her, and even Starlight was "what the gently caress?" when she let a little nazi show.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

alexandriao posted:

Sorry in advance if this is breaching a mod declaration. I haven't been able to see all of the thread for a few reasons. I'll remove if it does, or feel free to edit it out, I stopped checking this thread after I fell behind on an episode and I had like 1000 posts to read so I now have Anxiety around the thread lol

What I'm asking here is: is a threadban the total amount of force that's going to be used, or is there more force that's going to be used as soon as restrictions are lifted due to something like, forum ownership

Because it makes me question the moderators when someone with openly Nazi-sympathetic tendencies and blatant transphobia isn't probed indefinitely, especially after the Nazi purge and K2ifa2ms poo poo at the start of the year?

Or is he added on to a ban list backlog or something? Literally anything that says "hey this isn't acceptable poo poo for these here forums".

Hey, just spoken to the mods about this...To make sure you're satisfied, what they're going to do is bring the guy to you and burn him alive while you watch. They apologize in advance for not being able to do more, but they couldn't get to any of his family members or pets, etc

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
whoah, cool it lamplighter

Sardikar
Sep 27, 2004
I cant think of anything to put here.

That episode really popped off!

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

ptkfvk posted:

i always liked in the comic that homelander was huge. like space marine sized. even maeve was giant compared to regular people i think.

BN will probably be back. though his regen not being able to help against his allergies is funny.

Most of the main male characters except for Hughie were bulked up in the comics. That would've been hard to pull off in a live action series and limited casting options. Series Homelander and Butcher have plenty of menace without physical size.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

I wonder how many courics it would take to explode the typical skull, if poo'd directly into the cerebellum

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

BIG HEADLINE posted:

That being said, Ennis has ALWAYS had his artists mirror RL people in certain comics. In his Punisher run, Detective Budiansky in "Widowmaker" looks *exactly* like Samuel L. Jackson, Col. Howe in "Valley Forge, Valley Forge" is clearly Morgan Freeman, and in "The Boys," Hughie is so clearly Simon Pegg it's not even funny.

The irony being that Ennis wanted Hughie to look like his old friend and collaborator John McCrea. It's Darick Robertson who was responsible for Hughie looking like Pegg.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

They called us crazy when I suggested a tread-footed robot with tanks for arms and a wing-designed plane for a head would be unfeasible, but the Bliztukenstaffendieselheffer is nearing completion!!!!!!

Stormfront pulling the Cuckoo because Ryan is the perfect Aryan ideal.was really loving gross and I just hate that character sooooooo much.

As for BlackNoir, I'd like to think the allergy incapacitated him but didn't kill him. His healing factor just made it incredibly, unbelievably lovely until the anaphylaxis wore off.

If he has a super healing super immune system, its probably as bad or worse for him as any normal person.

Also I'm betting if anything turns homelander on stormfront, its finding out about the kids in cells at the clinic, giving him flashbacks to himself, maybe even remembering seeing her in his childhood memories

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Jesus the opening didn't pull any punches.

I appreciated the effort going into humanising Butcher and Homelander this episode. Butcher's face when Vogelbaum admits to basically torturing Homelander to make him stronger, exactly what his father did to him.

Homelander got his most human moment in my opinion when he confronted Becca about how she was raising Ryan. It's tough to avoid the fact that he's absolutely right, raising Ryan that way is going to gently caress him up. When she tell him they can raise Ryan together and he can't answer because he might start crying, Starr nailed it yet again.

Personally I hope Vought isn't behind the head-popping. It's stretches credibility too much that they think exploding the head of the committee chairman and the key witness against them live on TV would help their PR. Part of me suspects Butcher had a hand in it. He definitely wishes death on Vogelbaum, and he would have zero faith that Vought would actually get punished by government. Unless, for example, they caused a massacre in full view of TV cameras.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

jabby posted:

Part of me suspects Butcher had a hand in it. He definitely wishes death on Vogelbaum, and he would have zero faith that Vought would actually get punished by government. Unless, for example, they caused a massacre in full view of TV cameras.

Not a chance. Butcher went to too much trouble to get Vogelbaum in front of the committee in the first place.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

jabby posted:

Homelander got his most human moment in my opinion when he confronted Becca about how she was raising Ryan. It's tough to avoid the fact that he's absolutely right, raising Ryan that way is going to gently caress him up. When she tell him they can raise Ryan together and he can't answer because he might start crying, Starr nailed it yet again.

I thought Shantel VanSanten was excellent too. There's a moment of self-awareness where you see that she realises that all the drama has (completely understandably) pushed her to an irrational place, and that she's effectively arguing something she doesn't quite believe in, but she also knows she has to argue something -- anything -- to stop something even worse happening. It's heartbreaking.

Edit: Oh hey, add her to the show's list of Timeless alumni. She plays a key role in the show's pilot.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Jedit posted:

Not a chance. Butcher went to too much trouble to get Vogelbaum in front of the committee in the first place.

To testify or to die in front of the cameras though? He might even have changed the plan when he realised how similar Vogelbaum was to his abusive father.

So far Butcher's whole thing is that revenge means blood. I can't see him trusting in congress to take down Vought.

I did like the contrast between Mallory and Butcher though. Mallory is a tough motherfucker, but Vogelbaum expertly uses her loss against her so she backs down instead of forcing him to cooperate. Butcher goes the extra (horrifying) mile and gets results. Shows how crazy Butcher is but also why Mallory needs him.

I thought Shantel VanSanten was excellent too. There's a moment of self-awareness where you see that she realises that all the drama has (completely understandably) pushed her to an irrational place, and that she's effectively arguing something she doesn't quite believe in, but she also knows she has to argue something -- anything -- to stop something even worse happening. It's heartbreaking.

Edit: Oh hey, add her to the show's list of Timeless alumni. She plays a key role in the show's pilot.

Agreed. Her constant refrain of "we can talk about it later!" and "when you're older!" really expose her lack of long-term plan. She doesn't want to be with Butcher, doesn't want to be with Homelander, doesn't want a kid with superpowers, but she's stuck in this impossible situation.

jabby fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Oct 4, 2020

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

jabby posted:

So far Butcher's whole thing is that revenge means blood. I can't see him trusting in congress to take down Vought.

While the most interesting choice is for it to be Butcher, I'm not sure he'd stage an attack like that and not take on Homelander / Stormfront.

Perhaps he's saving Homelander for himself?

If I had to pick a character that isn't the obvious one, I'd pick Butcher.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

While the most interesting choice is for it to be Butcher, I'm not sure he'd stage an attack like that and not take on Homelander / Stormfront.

Perhaps he's saving Homelander for himself?

If I had to pick a character that isn't the obvious one, I'd pick Butcher.

I dunno, killing them would ruin the impression that Vought was behind it.

Although it's possible he tried to kill them but they just aren't vulnerable to the power. My "wild card" theory is that the exploding heads isn't even a superpower, it's some kind of weapon/micro-explosive either developed by Vought or some other military company.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

text editor posted:

If he has a super healing super immune system, its probably as bad or worse for him as any normal person.

Also I'm betting if anything turns homelander on stormfront, its finding out about the kids in cells at the clinic, giving him flashbacks to himself, maybe even remembering seeing her in his childhood memories

:aaaaa:

I really hope that happens. Maybe he sees her in her old Liberty costume and remembers.

Beef Stew
Dec 27, 2009
Yeah I can't see this working out well for Vought regardless of how they play this. The super terrorists were a totally different situation, especially when you could convincingly lie to people that you had the best weapons for fighting them. But some of Vought's best, including three members of the seven, were at the scene when this attack occurred and they were completely loving useless. I don't see how you spin that. Your single most powerful hero was there before poo poo even went down and it made no difference, how do you convince the public your guys are going to keep them safe when the whole country watched them fail miserably.

Beef Stew fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Oct 4, 2020

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Yeah not only that but she also clearly only pops the guard's head and not his entire body, it's a bit hard to see in the scene itself but a few moments later there's a shot where you can see a uniformed headless corpse on the ground.

Turns out the goon accusing people of being bad at watching TV was a goon who's bad at watching TV all along, crazy.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

text editor posted:

I like this a lot. I was thinking that Homelander would turn on Stormfront because of something she would try to do to Ryan, but this is just as good.

Beef Stew posted:

Yeah I can't see this working out well for Vought. The super terrorists were one thing, especially when you could credibly tell people that you had the best solution to fighting them. But some of Vought's best, including three members of the seven, were at the scene when this attack occurred and they were completely loving useless. I don't see how you could spin that. Your single most powerful hero was there before poo poo even went down and it made no difference.

Even Ashley was screaming at them "What the gently caress do something!"

As Lamplighter would say, they are now the cucks.

Beef Stew
Dec 27, 2009
Does Cindy kill one more than guard? Because I don't think we get a close up on the body of the guard that shot her in the back, and just rewatching the scene it definitely looks like there could be blood coming from his torso and not just his head, but it's difficult to tell.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Beef Stew posted:

Does Cindy kill one more than guard? Because I don't think we get a close up on the body of the guard that shot her in the back, and just rewatching the scene it definitely looks like there could be blood coming from his torso and not just his head, but it's difficult to tell.

No, just the one that shoots her.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Yeah not only that but she also clearly only pops the guard's head and not his entire body, it's a bit hard to see in the scene itself but a few moments later there's a shot where you can see a uniformed headless corpse on the ground.

Turns out the goon accusing people of being bad at watching TV was a goon who's bad at watching TV all along, crazy.

She crushed his body. Definitely way more than just his head.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make
Consider the following:
If Vought did this, why not take it a step further? Have Homelander or Stormfront take down the would-be assassin (or at least make a convincing show of it)? Those two being completely helpless isn't on brand for Vought's carefully staged events.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Beef Stew posted:

I don't see how you spin that.

Son, this is America. If your $2 billion dollar anti-tiger rock gets eaten by tigers, the only logical conclusion is you need a $4 billion anti-tiger rock.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

jabby posted:

Yeah that was a real shocking moment, especially when he started to relate it to his own hosed up childhood.

Ryan's Lego movies even show how sheltered he is. He's not recreating action movies or anything a 12-year-old kid might like, it's "The Blind Side" and "Terms of Endearment".

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Ahh, before the breakout.

Still nothing that would indicate she can crush people via video (probably the reverse because if she could use the camera to accomplish anything useful it wouldn't be in there)

The guard outside the door that gets popped probably wasn't Cindy's doing, happened too fast after they got there. Cindy was delayed opening the cells and whatnot, she wasn't hot on their heels

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah that was a real shocking moment, especially when he started to relate it to his own hosed up childhood.

Ryan's Lego movies even show how sheltered he is. He's not recreating action movies or anything a 12-year-old kid might like, it's "The Blind Side" and "Terms of Endearment".

I wonder how Vought is going to react to Ryan being spirited away from his secure facility.

In fact in the space of one episode Vought have:

- Branded Starlight a traitor only for her to escape from under their nose
- Had Black Noir incapacitated/killed by Maeve
- Lost control of their Homelander Jr. project
- Been saved from a bad congressional hearing only to appear responsible for a massacre

Things aren't going great for them.

EDIT: Also noticed a nice little moment of Starlight's mom giving Butcher side-eye for using the word oval office, even after everything.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

PostNouveau posted:

This took me a sec to realize but I burst out laughing when I did

Someone in the topic pointed out the few movies he mentions are all "saviour-complex" kind of movies which is just :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Aardvark
Dec 28, 2008

Nooo, Fat Neil, don't do it