Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Iron Crowned posted:

I'm not sure this meets the 10 year rule

We could all be dead before the 10 year rule lapses on this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Marin Karin posted:

Who Framed Roger Rabbit is already in my top 10, but compared to Cool World it's loving Citizen Kane.

I rewatched WFRR tonight to get the taste of Cool World out of my mouth and man it's good. Bob Hoskins is incredible.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

clown shoes posted:

yeah, sorry, thought I was in the trailer thread

Yeah dude, it's always the trailer thread in here when the Jame Master is in town

admataY
Oct 16, 2008
So, before next week.. everyone Agree Final destination 2 is easly the best one in the series right ?

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

admataY posted:

So, before next week.. everyone Agree Final destination 2 is easly the best one in the series right ?

Not sure this is a series that has a "best" so much as a series of "less worsts".

That said, yes, probably. I am embarrassed to admit that Tony Todd gave me nightmares when I watched the first one :(

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

The highway pileup in 2 is a legit great scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eno9HqDGuMI

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Oct 4, 2020

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

the trailer for FD2 gave me nightmares as a kid who took a lot of road trips

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

AceOfFlames posted:

The highway pileup in 2 is a legit great scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eno9HqDGuMI

I love how it just keeps going

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I think it's universally accepted that the highway crash scene linked above is the most disturbing scene in the entire series. It's such an insane escalation on the previous movie. It's constantly brought up all the years later, it's clearly stuck with people. People still joke about how they won't get behind a logging truck on a highway, when, to be honest, that doesn't tend to come up all that often. At least for me.

And I'm not being dismissive here. It's a legit great scene, and highly disturbing. I don't remember what happens after that scene, though, other than they bring back Ali Larter from the first movie just to kill her off.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Oct 4, 2020

Duckula
Aug 31, 2001

do not resuscitate

The dentist kill is fantastically cruel as well.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Not sure this is a series that has a "best" so much as a series of "less worsts".

it's a series best experienced via Dead Meat's Kill Count videos

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I appreciate how two is the only one that decides to avoid the lazy route and NOT end with an abrupt “rocks fall, the entire party dies” ending.

Other than the first it’s the one that feels most like a movie and least like a gore effects compilation.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

thrawn527 posted:

I think it's universally accepted that the highway crash scene linked above is the most disturbing scene in the entire series. It's such an insane escalation on the previous movie. It's constantly brought up all the years later, it's clearly stuck with people. People still joke about how they won't get behind a logging truck on a highway, when, to be honest, that doesn't tend to come up all that often. At least for me.

And I'm not being dismissive here. It's a legit great scene, and highly disturbing. I don't remember what happens after that scene, though, other than they bring back Ali Larter from the first movie just to kill her off.

I remember just the commercials for the scene freaking me out when I was younger. It cuts off right as the dude looks up from wiping his coffee when the log is about to impale his car.

Absolutely made me terrified of log trucks for years.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I still feel that way behind log trucks. I’m sure it’s happened more than you would think.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
This and the Exorcist made me wary of large trucks with unsecured loads.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

thrawn527 posted:

At least it’s better than what happened to Dewon Sawa, who is revealed in a barely visible news article to have died from a falling BRICK between movies.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Invalid Validation posted:

I still feel that way behind log trucks. I’m sure it’s happened more than you would think.

You should peruse the OSHA thread.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I had to drive a single lane road in Ireland behind a log truck for like 45 minutes and it was a top 3 worst panic attack of my life.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

weekly font posted:

I had to drive a single lane road in Ireland behind a log truck for like 45 minutes and it was a top 3 worst panic attack of my life.

I’d rather get stuck behind a logging truck in Ireland than look over and see Matthew Broderick driving next to me. That’s more bone chilling than any Final Destination.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

When I was learning to drive my step dad implored the seriousness of being behind a truck with a heavy load and then later I saw FD2 and the combination of the two has always made me avoid trucks on the road.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

admataY posted:

I rewatched the entire series back in April.

ranking:

1>5>2>3>4

1 is the most movie something could resemble in this series, 5 because of where it goes and it goes places, 2 for the classic opening and window pane gag, 3 and 4 its a toss up in pure garbage.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

2 > 1 > 5 > 3 > 4 for me. The closer you get to CGI splatter effects demo reel and farther from "movie with actual plot" the worse they get.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I gotta go with 2 > 5 > 1 > 4 > 3 for the exact opposite reasons, the closer it stays to 'here's just a bunch of Rube Goldberg Machines of death and a loose plot surrounding them' the better, with 1 being as close to 'they think they're making a real movie' I'll allow.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Rewatching 2 now and this highway pileup is loving hilarious. Every single time I watch it, I can't stop laughing. This thing must've been a blast to shoot.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Ok, I had to pause the episode to listen to that Vin Diesel song on Spotify. It's like he dumped every single Kygo song into a deep learning program and he autotuned his voice so much it's unrecognizable. Surreal.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Oct 6, 2020

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
4 is the only outright bad Final Destination. I watched all of them for the first time shortly after their episode on the original and they're all pretty fun outside of 4. I half called the twist in 5 and when I realized I was right at the end of the movie I lost my mind.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

The twist in five is the only thing that prevents it from being in the D-tier with 3 and 4. It’s so good it gives it like two more stars than it really deserves. The bridge opening is a clumsy, ugly CGI retread of the highway.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Pops Mgee posted:

4 is the only outright bad Final Destination. I watched all of them for the first time shortly after their episode on the original and they're all pretty fun outside of 4. I half called the twist in 5 and when I realized I was right at the end of the movie I lost my mind.

*googles the twist in Final Destination 5* Well that's just silly.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

weekly font posted:

The twist in five is the only thing that prevents it from being in the D-tier with 3 and 4. It’s so good it gives it like two more stars than it really deserves. The bridge opening is a clumsy, ugly CGI retread of the highway.

yea I may be too kind putting 5 as my number two but the completely unneeded twist is so out of nowhere was just so dumb and funny it made me love it.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Before I did my rewatch I would have said 1>2>5>3>4 easily, but watching two again it drags just enough in parts and doesnt get to the good stuff or is at least somewhat entertaining enough in the not killing scenes that it dropped behind 5 which at least has some funny bits, David Koechner and a bit more Tony Todd than part 2 to make it better and the dumb funny ending and the weird preppy clone of Christian Bale.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I honestly like the punchline of 2 more than the twist of 5. It’s so mean it wraps around to being hilarious.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Speaking of holding guns sideways, Michael Madsen doing it A LOT in Species II was so loving distracting

Species II is so barely a loving movie

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

weekly font posted:

The bridge opening looks like loving Avatar compared to the Nascar race in 4.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Pops Mgee posted:

The bridge opening looks like loving Avatar compared to the Nascar race in 4.

Accurate but I think everyone both here and on the pod agree 4 is booty so I didn’t even take it into account.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.
The real question is what is the ranking of the final destination episodes?

I think it's 2>1>3 but all three are strong recommends which is rare for when they do multiple in a series.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea the 'real' answer is 'like most all WHM stuff, it's all good baby' but I'd say 2 is the best just because they're most fully embracing the stupidity, then 1 and 3.

gfarrell80
Aug 31, 2006
I've been really enjoying the podcast 'Generation Loss'. Talks about a bunch of weird movies, generally with a political angle.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

Marin Karin posted:

Who Framed Roger Rabbit is already in my top 10, but compared to Cool World it's loving Citizen Kane.

Which is amusing since the film is a take-off on a different classic movie. They even have a line in it to make it even more obvious.

"Forget it, Eddie... It's Toontown."

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I watched Species II to prepare for tonight's episode. I've never seen the original. Holy poo poo :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
I’m not a fan of whatever happened to the spooktacular theme with the echoes on the clips.