Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Games are for children though so what’s your point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

This could get emotional...

X marks the spot (to confirm your menu choices)

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

X gon give it (your selection) to ya

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

fridge corn posted:

Playstation doesn't have an x button

:five:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

goblin week posted:

Like it legitimately looks really childish to do a full cross out of like, a written word. Striking out is also supported by text formatting in a lot of applications

Where are the controllers that are based on word processing software? Face buttons Bold, Italics, Strikethrough, and Highlight. Shoulder buttons Left and Right Indent and also Left and Right Justify.

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Lobok posted:

Where are the controllers that are based on word processing software? Face buttons Bold, Italics, Strikethrough, and Highlight. Shoulder buttons Left and Right Indent and also Left and Right Justify.

all in comic sans

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Lobok posted:

i think that's called mouse+keyboard

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
A few pages back someone mentioned the lack of optical out on the PS5. Looks like the Series X doesn't have one either. Now I'm hosed because my receiver doesn't support 4k/hdr.

Is there even a receiver on the market that supports HDMI 2.1? Does the receiver need to support VRR or anything specific, or just the HDMI 2.1 spec?

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

Nuts and Gum posted:

A few pages back someone mentioned the lack of optical out on the PS5. Looks like the Series X doesn't have one either. Now I'm hosed because my receiver doesn't support 4k/hdr.

Is there even a receiver on the market that supports HDMI 2.1? Does the receiver need to support VRR or anything specific, or just the HDMI 2.1 spec?

Does your TV have optical out? Most of them do these days. Run your HDMI to the TV, and then optical from your TV to your receiver. This is how my system is set up because my receiver doesn't pass through 4K / hdr.

lite frisk
Oct 5, 2013
I haven't touched a console since the 360, and so am getting confused as gently caress about what this lack of an audio jack entails.

What are the chances I can connect the PS5 to a Bluetooth speaker? Are consoles supposed to be able to do that?

I currently hook up a laptop to a projector using an HDMI cable, then connect to bluetooth speakers for audio when watching movies. I kind of assumed the same thing would work for a console, but now I'm wondering if I pre-ordered something I can't even pair with my current hardware.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

il serpente cosmico posted:

Does your TV have optical out? Most of them do these days. Run your HDMI to the TV, and then optical from your TV to your receiver. This is how my system is set up because my receiver doesn't pass through 4K / hdr.

It does! I will give that a shot. Thanks!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

lite frisk posted:

What are the chances I can connect the PS5 to a Bluetooth speaker? Are consoles supposed to be able to do that?

Slim and no.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

lite frisk posted:

I haven't touched a console since the 360, and so am getting confused as gently caress about what this lack of an audio jack entails.

I currently hook up a laptop to a projector using an HDMI cable, then connect to bluetooth speakers for audio when watching movies. I kind of assumed the same thing would work for a console, but now I'm wondering if I pre-ordered something I can't even pair with my current hardware.

As far as I'm aware, PS5 supports bluetooth speakers, so it should be the same as using your laptop.

https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2020/08/ps5_uses_bluetooth_5_1_wi-fi_6_for_improved_performance

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

History Comes Inside! posted:

There is literally no point to digital pre-ordering a game for a console you won’t even have in hand until the game comes out, that is bananas.

You can’t even preload it because you won’t have the console until the game comes out.

Gamers.

If I know I will be getting it digital day one, and there is free DLC for preordering, why wouldn't I?

lite frisk
Oct 5, 2013

As far as I'm aware, PS5 supports bluetooth speakers, so it should be the same as using your laptop.

https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2020/08/ps5_uses_bluetooth_5_1_wi-fi_6_for_improved_performance

Thank you, I hope this is true.

Or not. :(

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

You can run a 3.5mm cable from the controller to pretty much any speaker that has an Aux in and get good quality sound.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

PS5 supports wireless headphones, so I don't see why it wouldn't support a wireless speaker?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Does it support all wireless headphones? Or just the Sony ones

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

PS5 supports wireless headphones, so I don't see why it wouldn't support a wireless speaker?

Well, it has the latest bluetooth standard so that shouldn't be a problem. PS3/PS4/Pro bluetooth specs were all over the place so interoperability was kinda up in the air.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Does it support all wireless headphones? Or just the Sony ones

We don't know.

I did notice that the PS5 3D headset is also compatible with PS4 tho.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Presumably though a dongle

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006
Don't plan on wireless speakers working just because the PlayStation 5 has bluetooth. The PS4 has bluetooth and you can't use bluetooth audio devices.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

dongle life is pretty dire

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Even the ps5 one requires a dongle to work on ps5

You're better off that way tho i guess prolly cause using it on pc or switch is plug and play and you arent interfering with the bluetooth that the console uses for other poo poo idk

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Oct 5, 2020

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

Even the ps5 one requires a dongle to work on ps5

Disgraceful

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I edited in the devils advocate thought experiment

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I am new to PlayStation so honestly how DO you give people instructions on buttons? Do you type the word of the symbol? Do you use emoji? ⭕🔺🟥❌

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

tri, x, squ, o

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

K, P, S, HS

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

pink, green, blue, red

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

As they were designed: 1, 2, 3, 4.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
X, Y, A, and B

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
To be any good, Bluetooth audio requires licensed codecs which cost money for every unit. I figured Sony decided a long time ago that they weren’t gonna pay that for PlayStation consoles.

Edit: I mean, other than the proprietary one that’s in the controller.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I moved my tv aside to make room for the PS5. Looks weird being off center on the stand, but it actually is more centered in the room

Am I gonna have room for horizontal there you think? Will I need to turn my switch sideways? I do like it to face forward because it's signed by Charles Martinet and Patricia Summerset

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I am new to PlayStation so honestly how DO you give people instructions on buttons? Do you type the word of the symbol? Do you use emoji? ⭕🔺🟥❌

Considering that PlayStation is like 80% vs Nintendo and Microsoft in here, everyone understands "triangle, square, circle and cross".

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
💫, 💩, 🖼, ⚔️

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

haveblue posted:

💫, 💩, 🖼, ⚔️

YES!

BigHandsVince
Mar 30, 2007
Mamma Mia, my hands are huge!

Sony make a great set of wireless noise cancelling headphones, (XM4), but there's no dingle for them, they're Bluetooth. Does this mean they won't be compatible? Insane if true, they are so good.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I moved my tv aside to make room for the PS5. Looks weird being off center on the stand, but it actually is more centered in the room

Am I gonna have room for horizontal there you think? Will I need to turn my switch sideways? I do like it to face forward because it's signed by Charles Martinet and Patricia Summerset

You need like a sheet of legal paper+ 1 inch in each dimension worth of room

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Guillermus posted:

Considering that PlayStation is like 80% vs Nintendo and Microsoft in here, everyone understands "triangle, square, circle and cross".

I've always called it X

Which may be wrong but a 19 year old habit is here to stay