Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Finished my 2nd major project, a new desk for my wife. It's all #1 Common grade American Walnut, with the exception of the drawer bottoms, which are baltic birch plywood with a Walnut colored stain. Finished with a couple light coats of amber shellac (it's about a 1# cut made from dewaxed flakes, I dunno, I didn't mix it all that carefully), then topped with 5 coats of oil-based poly that I thinned down with mineral spirits to rub on. Finally topped off with a bit of paste wax and buffed it with a brown paper bag. Pretty happy with the way it turned out, but I made several critical mistakes (such as, oh, I dunno, initially cutting the legs ~4 inches too short and having to affix extensions) that thankfully, aren't visible in the final product.

forbidden dialectics fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Oct 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Nice work man, I'm sorta boggled that you made the top out of perfectly aligning three independent boxes rather than having a single monolithic top but hey it works!

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Oh wow that amazing, nice desk!

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

poo poo, that looks amazing. Nice second project!

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

forbidden dialectics posted:

Finished my 2nd major project, a new desk for my wife. It's all #1 Common grade American Walnut, with the exception of the drawer bottoms, which are baltic birch plywood with a Walnut colored stain. Finished with a couple light coats of amber shellac (it's about a 1# cut made from dewaxed flakes, I dunno, I didn't mix it all that carefully), then topped with 5 coats of oil-based poly that I thinned down with mineral spirits to rub on. Finally topped off with a bit of paste wax and buffed it with a brown paper bag. Pretty happy with the way it turned out, but I made several critical mistakes (such as, oh, I dunno, initially cutting the legs ~4 inches too short and having to affix extensions) that thankfully, aren't visible in the final product.

This is very neat! The upside of #1 Common is it has tons of nice figure with all the swirls and stuff around knots. I was very impressed by the 3 way miters where the drawers meet but then I realized how it was put together-it's a neat effect. Are the little blocks under the two side drawers little drawers or compartments as well?

GEMorris posted:

Nice work man, I'm sorta boggled that you made the top out of perfectly aligning three independent boxes rather than having a single monolithic top but hey it works!
:same:
I've only done it to break up long stuff that had to go around corners and it was a bit of pain and I was never quite happy with the joint when it was installed, but this looks much smoother.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

This is very neat! The upside of #1 Common is it has tons of nice figure with all the swirls and stuff around knots. I was very impressed by the 3 way miters where the drawers meet but then I realized how it was put together-it's a neat effect. Are the little blocks under the two side drawers little drawers or compartments as well?

:same:
I've only done it to break up long stuff that had to go around corners and it was a bit of pain and I was never quite happy with the joint when it was installed, but this looks much smoother.

Thanks all! The little blocks are just stretchers for a bit of support and to hide a big block in the middle that I drove a bunch of screws through to attach the legs to the base. I figured the screws would give the whole frame a bit of room for wood movement, as well as if we needed to disassemble it for whatever reason.

To get everything to line up during glue-up, I cut a couple rows of "floating mortises" - this helped a ton, especially when I realized halfway through that I didn't have any clamps long enough to secure it...

Fortunately, gravity still does it's thing:

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

Thanks all! The little blocks are just stretchers for a bit of support and to hide a big block in the middle that I drove a bunch of screws through to attach the legs to the base. I figured the screws would give the whole frame a bit of room for wood movement, as well as if we needed to disassemble it for whatever reason.

To get everything to line up during glue-up, I cut a couple rows of "floating mortises" - this helped a ton, especially when I realized halfway through that I didn't have any clamps long enough to secure it...

:stare::eyepop::stare:

Holy crap man, thats ingenious! Amazing work!

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Lmao nice. Your plight with short legs reminded me I had a friend who built some nice thing from walnut with turned legs, maybe 2 1/4" at the bottom to which he butted maple socks a few inches long for a nice contrasting effect.

I meant to ask him how he attached them- probably a bolt and socket assembly. FYI in case you build another some time and end up with the legs too short. 🤓

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010

Great work!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

That desk is an interesting design. My first thought is the legs splay too wide but after looking at it for a while I don't think it's too bad.

I will say that ergonomics demands a keyboard tray, your wife should not work for long with her arms as high as the top of that desk. But you made that middle area a good height for affixing a maneuverable tray underneath if you want to.

Toast
Dec 7, 2002

GoonsWithSpoons.com :chef:Generalissimo:chef:
I really like the design, also making me wish walnut was more readily accessible hereabouts.

I'm struggling to find a good variety of finish options at the moment too, though I'm told a different location of the place I've been trying has a more robust selection.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

I finally assembled my table-top planer, and used it, I don't think I've ever felt a smoother piece of wood just running a 2x4 through it. It was like touching some entirely different material and not wood at all. I really want a jointer now.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

So the arborists were back at my neighbor's house today, bringing down another tree. Turns out they are not juniper, but some sort of cypress instead. I was going to grab the whole trunk but it was full of ants, which is why the tree is coming down.

So instead I grabbed a section that doesn't have a billion ants in it, about two feet long and 18 inches wide. Not sure what to do with it at this point but I'll figure it out.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Sounds like the trees that were in my yard when I moved in. They grow like weeds, but without the kind of reliable root structure you'd expect, so they tip over easily in strong winds. The wood's pretty crap, very soft and sappy, but there's always something special about making something from wood that grew on your property.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Olothreutes posted:

So the arborists were back at my neighbor's house today, bringing down another tree. Turns out they are not juniper, but some sort of cypress instead. I was going to grab the whole trunk but it was full of ants, which is why the tree is coming down.

So instead I grabbed a section that doesn't have a billion ants in it, about two feet long and 18 inches wide. Not sure what to do with it at this point but I'll figure it out.

drat shame. Is the lumber eaten up, like termite wise, or just infested? I've heard that's great wood for outdoor furniture & similar projects.

Cypress is cool stuff, I doubt but grows in California.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Mr. Mambold posted:

drat shame. Is the lumber eaten up, like termite wise, or just infested? I've heard that's great wood for outdoor furniture & similar projects.

I think these are leyland or Arizona cypress? They were planted all over the city as ornamental trees back in the 50s and 60s. I think they've since been banned because of pollen issues but they're still everywhere. They drop these "cones" that are fused together and look like berries and they suck to step on real bad.

The majority of the tree was pretty gross looking, lots of gross stuff with ants coming out of seemingly everywhere. Standing several feet away from the trunk I was getting bit by ants that I swear were just falling out of the sky.

But I did manage to grab this guy, which appears to be ant free and was from one half of the main fork. I got out the tape measure and it's almost exactly 24 inches long, 16-17 inches wide on the smaller face, up to 18 inches wide on the larger face.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Olothreutes posted:

I think these are leyland or Arizona cypress? They were planted all over the city as ornamental trees back in the 50s and 60s. I think they've since been banned because of pollen issues but they're still everywhere. They drop these "cones" that are fused together and look like berries and they suck to step on real bad.

The majority of the tree was pretty gross looking, lots of gross stuff with ants coming out of seemingly everywhere. Standing several feet away from the trunk I was getting bit by ants that I swear were just falling out of the sky.

But I did manage to grab this guy, which appears to be ant free and was from one half of the main fork. I got out the tape measure and it's almost exactly 24 inches long, 16-17 inches wide on the smaller face, up to 18 inches wide on the larger face.

Leyland cypress tend to grow real fast and die real fast and I think Arizona cypress are similar. They're all some sort of cross between monterrey cypress and arizona cypress or nootka cypress. They aren't usually especially long lived as far as trees go. I'd imagine the wood is pretty soft, not especially strong, and reasonably stable and probably dries fairly easily/quickly? Heartwood is probably also rot resistant, but who knows how much heart there is. If you split the round in half it will dry better and with fewer checks.

What you gonna make with it?

E:

Mr. Mambold posted:

In edition 69420 of 'common trade names are misleading,' the wood commonly sold as 'cypress' (baldcypress, Taxodium distichum-native to the SE US)in the US is not actually in the cypress genus or cypress sub-family, and isn't a 'true' cypress. Leyland cypress is a cross between two species of botanically 'true' cypresses in the genus Cupressus. It gets really loving dumb because both eastern redcedar (actually a juniper-Juniperus virginiana) and western redcedar (Thuja plicata) are both called 'cedar' in common use, but are actually in the cypress subfamily and are more closely related to the true cypresses than the wood we usually call cypress and are fairly distantly related to the 'true cedars' (cedar of Lebanon, Atlas Cedar, deodar cedar-actually a common ornamental in the US) which are actually in the pine family. Spanish cedar is not even a conifer but is a broadleaf tree in the mahogany family and ahhhhhhhhhhhh :rant:

Anyway botany and wood do not line up very well, thanks for coming to TED talk etc.

e2: gonna ask the lumberyard for some western redcypress and see what kind of answer I get

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Oct 4, 2020

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

What you gonna make with it?

I have no idea. Someone previously mentioned clocks, and I bet I could make a pretty neat clock out of a slice of that. Beyond that... no clue. I'm new to the whole "grab timber from random yards" thing.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Got another #4 because I can't stop myself and I accidentally win eBay auctions all the time.

Had to fix a broken tote, which isn't a big deal at all. Sole cleaned up fast. I could go further with it, but it's flat where it matters. I might someday redo the japanning (or paint it), but I doubt it.

Also pulled out the leatherworking stuff and made some more chisel sheaths for the rest of my framing chisels.
If I haven't said this here before, everybody should get into leatherwork. It has an insanely low barrier to entry both in skill and cost. $20-$40 in specialty tools and some normal stuff like a straightedge and snap knife and you can do a ton of simple but super satisfying projects. Really easy learning curve, doable in any space. It's really great.

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Oct 4, 2020

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Hello Woodworking thread, I asked in a different thread about having somewhere to sanity check and/or ask for advice when building myself a home standing computer desk out of wood and was pointed here. Before I start posting - if I am going to try building said standing computer desk for working from home and also videogaming, is this the right place? I've always wanted to get into woodworking and now that I'm a home owner and a dad I'd really like to get into it so I imagine that I will spend some time going through the links in the OP, but right now the standing desk is more of an immediate need so I'm thinking I'll make improving it an iterative process as I learn.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Yes, hello. The way I see it, you have two realistic options: buy an adjustable sit/stand desk frame and put a top on it, or make a fixed-in-place standing desk and get a tall chair for when you're tired of standing. I strongly recommend the former; it's what I did. Not having to deal with legs saves a bunch of time and stability woes.

Then you have options for how complicated / nice-looking you want the desk to be. It can be as simple as a sheet of plywood or even a hollow-core door, or you can edge-glue some hardwood boards together and put a nice finish on them. You can get more complicated but at that point you're doing serious furniture.

Do you know your budget? How much of a hurry are you in? What tools do you have?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Yes, hello. The way I see it, you have two realistic options: buy an adjustable sit/stand desk frame and put a top on it, or make a fixed-in-place standing desk and get a tall chair for when you're tired of standing. I strongly recommend the former; it's what I did. Not having to deal with legs saves a bunch of time and stability woes.

Then you have options for how complicated / nice-looking you want the desk to be. It can be as simple as a sheet of plywood or even a hollow-core door, or you can edge-glue some hardwood boards together and put a nice finish on them. You can get more complicated but at that point you're doing serious furniture.

Do you know your budget? How much of a hurry are you in? What tools do you have?
I've researched the heck out of desks that transition between sitting and standing, but dont like the options. The company I work for would even reimburse me some money towards buying a product that would allow me to do so, but there a few reasons I want to do a fixed-in-place standing desk:
  • I have a relatively small, somewhat cramped, amount of space to work with - its a corner in our living room that is 46inch x 54inch of wall space
  • I want to have drawers (few, if any, of the transition-capable desks have any drawers to speak of)
  • I would like to try to set it up so there is space behind where the monitors are to clean up allllll the wiring so its nice and tidy
  • A long term/stretch goal would be to have a shelf above the monitors for additional storage/display area
  • All of the above factors into that this is kinda going to be my little corner of 'me' space in our small starter home after having to move my desk out of what is now the baby's room
Part of it is also that I want to potentially run three monitors like I do at work. I dont have a picture of my current fixed-in-place standing setup at work so imagine this, but standing:

I liked having it in a corner so I can easily lean one way or the other as I fidget on my feet and I worry that the transition capable desks or desktops would shift and or not like the weight.

I'm planning on picking up a Monitor Rack to hold the monitors and also help increase desktop space; I'm not even sure if I can make three fit in the space given so I'm considering trying stacking two monitors on top of each other with the vertical monitor next to them.

As for tools I have a random smattering of tools and drills in the shed and a miter saw for cutting the wood. I'm right around the corner from both a Lowes and a Home Depot and have a reasonable budget. As mentioned I have long wanted to get into woodworking to be able to build things like a lawn chair or picnic table for the back yard or a shelf for an awkward spot in the house and that kind of stuff. Therefore if there is a good tool worth buying that I'll use again I am happy to buy it.

Right now I have an uncomfortable setup using a folding table where the mouse/keyboard area are cramped and there is not enough room for my work laptop, so I'd like to get even a basic poorly done version of the desk built really soon and then I could rebuild/replace part or all of it as I improve my skills.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Oct 4, 2020

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Olothreutes posted:

I like wood with ant holes in it. Gives my chess pieces more rustic character!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

As for tools I have a random smattering of tools and drills in the shed and a miter saw for cutting the wood. I'm right around the corner from both a Lowes and a Home Depot and have a reasonable budget. As mentioned I have long wanted to get into woodworking to be able to build things like a lawn chair or picnic table for the back yard or a shelf for an awkward spot in the house and that kind of stuff. Therefore if there is a good tool worth buying that I'll use again I am happy to buy it.

OK, so I'm hearing "beginner woodworker, can't afford to spend a ton on tools, and have an urgent need". That suggests aiming towards the simpler end of designs, in particular avoiding complex joinery. It also suggests working with dimensional lumber (e.g. 2x4s and 4x4s) and plywood, just to avoid having to rip boards to the correct width or worry about piecing together a tabletop out of multiple pieces of wood.

What I would recommend is that you buy a Kreg pocket hole jig. This is a tool that lets you use screws to join two pieces of wood at a 90 degree angle, and it'll be vastly easier to use than cutting fancy joinery would be. You then come up with a design for your desk that involves using a sheet of plywood for the top, 2x4s for the desk apron and stringers (look these up if you don't know what they are, they're important), and 4x4s for legs. You can draw this on a sheet of paper or make it in a 3D modeling program, whatever you're comfortable with, but we need to see it before you start construction to make sure the table won't rack or wobble once built. The hardware store can cut the plywood down to size for you, so as long as you can transport a sheet the size of your final tabletop that should suffice. Sheets are 4'x8' standard in the USA; maybe you can use the offcuts for those little shelf units you were talking about.

Drawers I would also recommend doing out of plywood, a simple open-faced box. They'll need to hang below the apron to avoid cutting it, and indeed you could probably retrofit them on after the rest of the desk is completed.

Stealth edit: when you're buying lumber from big-box hardware stores like Home Depot and Lowes, 90+% of it is going to be total crap. Be prepared to sift through the pile to find boards that aren't bent, twisted, cracked, or waned (meaning that it's not a complete 2x4 or whatever for the entire length of the board). Hold one end of the board up to your eye and sight along it to help you tell if it's straight.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Rutibex posted:

I like wood with ant holes in it. Gives my chess pieces more rustic character!

Well there's a load of cypress across the street that I can offer you if you pick it up, but you get a free bonus ant farm.

I personally think the tree was either sick or had been hit by lightning. One half of the first fork and everything below in the main trunk was in bad shape and full of very angry ants. The other half of that fork seemed fine? Who knows what's in there but it wasn't teeming with ants so I think it's ok.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

If you split the round in half it will dry better and with fewer checks.

Do you mean two 12 inch cylinders? My geometry brain is saying cut perpendicular to the z axis.

E: should I try to peel the bark off?

Olothreutes fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Oct 4, 2020

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Olothreutes posted:

Do you mean two 12 inch cylinders? My geometry brain is saying cut perpendicular to the z axis.

E: should I try to peel the bark off?
No I mean two semi-circles, but obviously don’t do that if you want to use it as cookies/slices. It will help prevent checking if you were going to saw it into boards or turn bowls or whatever.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

I'm trying to make a sliding joint. Ideally I'd have an old school shaper and grind the blades as I need, but I don't, so I'm curious if you folks have any ideas?

Initial thought is plunge with a straight router bit then go to a plunge router bit with a 20 degree bevel, or whatever near there I can find, and remove the rest. Am I on the right path?

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Do you have a tablesaw? That's a pretty simple groove and two bevels on the concave side and what amounts to an angled rabbet on the other. Probably also doable with some careful jig setup with a circular saw, but that wouldn't be fun.

Otherwise yeah, bevel router bit would help a lot, though most have a bottom bearing and you might need to do some modification to get them to cut all the way down to a flat bottom.
https://www.holbren.com/edge-bevel-router-bits/

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Oct 5, 2020

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
What about a dovetail bit instead of a bevel bit?

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Hypnolobster posted:

Do you have a tablesaw? That's a pretty simple groove and two bevels on the concave side and what amounts to an angled rabbet on the other. Probably also doable with some careful jig setup with a circular saw, but that wouldn't be fun.

Otherwise yeah, bevel router bit would help a lot, though most have a bottom bearing and you might need to do some modification to get them to cut all the way down to a flat bottom.
https://www.holbren.com/edge-bevel-router-bits/

A table saw would work. I'd just need to keep the meeting point clean so I don't get a weirdo transition burr.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Yooper posted:

I'm trying to make a sliding joint. Ideally I'd have an old school shaper and grind the blades as I need, but I don't, so I'm curious if you folks have any ideas?

Initial thought is plunge with a straight router bit then go to a plunge router bit with a 20 degree bevel, or whatever near there I can find, and remove the rest. Am I on the right path?

Table saw if it has to be exactly that. They do make matched sets of edgebanding router bits that may work. They are meant to make a tight glue joint, so IDK how well they will slide, you could probably adjust it and get it where you want it.
https://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/smarthtml/pages/bit_edgeband_ogee.html
I think I have even seen some with stackable cutters sort of like a shaper?

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Yooper posted:

I'm dumb and don't have a table saw, but I'd probably find an old saw plate and use angle grinder + file to make two blades, bang them through a couple of pieces of wood to end up with some makeshift planes. put some bits of wood on the sides to act as fences and go to town.

How many times will you need to repeat this operation?

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Yooper posted:

A table saw would work. I'd just need to keep the meeting point clean so I don't get a weirdo transition burr.

I'd say cut just barely shy of them meeting perfectly and just clean it up with a chisel, since you're already cutting a nice big clean reference surface to work from. Though, the blade on the angle cut will present a pointy edge that you should be able to sneak up to the groove perfectly so that might not be necessary.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Edge band set looks neat, just not quite the angles I need. Might still work though, will have to test first variants and see.

Granite Octopus posted:

How many times will you need to repeat this operation?

6 sets, though if it goes well probably more.

Hypnolobster posted:

I'd say cut just barely shy of them meeting perfectly and just clean it up with a chisel, since you're already cutting a nice big clean reference surface to work from. Though, the blade on the angle cut will present a pointy edge that you should be able to sneak up to the groove perfectly so that might not be necessary.

I'm going to give that method a try, should give me the most control. Will have to get a fresh zero clearance insert for this sort of thing. Thanks dudes!

Going to be making a clone of a Berlebach tripod for a telescope of mine.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Public holiday on Monday here in NSW and I took the rest of the week off on flex leave (I'm a federal government employee, it's one of our perks. Kinda like time off in lieu of hours worked).

I've been putting off a few things so this week I decided to get them done

Job one:

Couple of basic bedside tables. They have their faults, I'm not overly well equipped but I made do. I used dressed Tasmanian oak from Bunnings, which is like our home depot, it had a few light warps which affected the final fitup but overall I'm pretty happy with how it all came together. They are reasonably accurate facsimiles of each other and I can comfortably sit on them and know they aren't gonna fall apart.

Main joints are pocket screws, with the top nailed down.

Other issue I had was that the nailgun just wasn't driving in quite far enough in a few spots, maybe hitting an internal knot or something, and I forgot to grab a hammer from my toolbox (it's been at my partner's since I'd moved to a place without a garage to put it in, I'm now at a new place but haven't got around to moving it - this weekend's plan). I made do but in spots it affected the router guide a bit and made some light gouges.

Other than all that I'm pretty stoked with em but and I know for next time

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

So, I've been planning a fold-down table for my breakfast nook for quite some time, and I finally think I've got the time and inspiration to make it. I'm wondering if people with table and glued butt joints could weigh in and tell me if it'll be strong enough with how I've planned it. I've attached a few of the model photos here, the plan is to make it out of 1x pieces of cherry (which I have in my garage and have achieved a beautiful red color over the past year sitting in there). When it folds up, it will be a picture frame, and then it folds down with two portions of the frame swinging out to be the legs, which get locked into place with a steel pin each. My real question is if the 1xs adhered only with 3/4" of glue between them will be strong enough to be a table, or do I need to add another layer in there?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
This is, what, a 1.5' x 3' tabletop? I think you'll be fine. Properly-applied glue with long grain to long grain is stronger than the wood itself, and your lengths aren't so long that sagging is a serious concern. What I'm not clear on is how that steel pin works to secure the legs. Wobbly legs would be unpleasant to deal with, so I'd be inclined to go with a locking shelf bracket or something similar. It might not achieve the aesthetic you want, but it'd be a lot more secure.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

This is, what, a 1.5' x 3' tabletop? I think you'll be fine. Properly-applied glue with long grain to long grain is stronger than the wood itself, and your lengths aren't so long that sagging is a serious concern. What I'm not clear on is how that steel pin works to secure the legs. Wobbly legs would be unpleasant to deal with, so I'd be inclined to go with a locking shelf bracket or something similar. It might not achieve the aesthetic you want, but it'd be a lot more secure.

It's actually 29"x56", long enough for two people to a side.. The pin is set between two hinges, and it's about 1/2" diameter steel pin.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Hi, just seeing if anything knows anything about Dickson Furniture Manufacturers? they are in Houston

I saw a dining table from them on craigslist, and the name sounds familiar, but I have no idea about their quality. However some of their prices just seem too low, so i wanted to ask. They mainly do commercial sales, so I guess this is stuff they had left over? there's no info about the wood at all really.

http://clearance.dicksonfurniture.com/shop/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

OK, so I'm hearing "beginner woodworker, can't afford to spend a ton on tools, and have an urgent need". That suggests aiming towards the simpler end of designs, in particular avoiding complex joinery. It also suggests working with dimensional lumber (e.g. 2x4s and 4x4s) and plywood, just to avoid having to rip boards to the correct width or worry about piecing together a tabletop out of multiple pieces of wood.

What I would recommend is that you buy a Kreg pocket hole jig. This is a tool that lets you use screws to join two pieces of wood at a 90 degree angle, and it'll be vastly easier to use than cutting fancy joinery would be. You then come up with a design for your desk that involves using a sheet of plywood for the top, 2x4s for the desk apron and stringers (look these up if you don't know what they are, they're important), and 4x4s for legs. You can draw this on a sheet of paper or make it in a 3D modeling program, whatever you're comfortable with, but we need to see it before you start construction to make sure the table won't rack or wobble once built. The hardware store can cut the plywood down to size for you, so as long as you can transport a sheet the size of your final tabletop that should suffice. Sheets are 4'x8' standard in the USA; maybe you can use the offcuts for those little shelf units you were talking about.

Drawers I would also recommend doing out of plywood, a simple open-faced box. They'll need to hang below the apron to avoid cutting it, and indeed you could probably retrofit them on after the rest of the desk is completed.

Stealth edit: when you're buying lumber from big-box hardware stores like Home Depot and Lowes, 90+% of it is going to be total crap. Be prepared to sift through the pile to find boards that aren't bent, twisted, cracked, or waned (meaning that it's not a complete 2x4 or whatever for the entire length of the board). Hold one end of the board up to your eye and sight along it to help you tell if it's straight.
Thank you for this - a pet emergency kept me distracted on getting a reply back. I can afford some tools but I wouldnt want to spend a couple grand before I get my hands dirty doing my first few projects so I'll research and get a Kreg pocket hole jig and learn what 'desk aprons' and 'stringers' are and make a plan.

I'll definitely find a way to model it one way or another - could you recommend a good, preferably free, program to use to plan the build?

The few times in the past I've bought wood from Lowes/Home Depot I've noticed that a lot of it was skewed, crooked, or off in some way so its good to know that it is that high of a percentage. Is there a better place to buy wood isntead, or is it just something you have to deal with?