Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Oh great, I just bumped into this bug. Apparently siege progress can sometimes repeatedly reset if you're fighting in your liege's war. Serves me right for actually playing on ironman, I suppose.

On another note, I played for about 40 hours before I learned that you can revoke vassal counts without tyranny penalties even with a fabricated claim. Duhhh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Alright, I understand that the tooltip saying that a congenital trait shared by two parents will be inherited (and has a chance of being reinforced) is wrong, in the sense that it's not actually a guarantee. If that's the case, when I'm looking for spouses, my priority shouldn't be getting as many traits in the mix as possible, but instead to focus on one kind of trait first in order to max it out down the generations before proceeding to the next kind of congenital trait? Is that right?

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Playing as non-feudal Hungary, it seems like you have to go Learning education for all heirs, unless you want to face a century or more of just waiting for those Innovations. Is there any way to speed that up? My Hungary run is becoming quite dull
Also, am I correct in understanding that government and land are tied? I conquered a duchy and I note that I can't build anything there because the game wants to only build feudal buildings, which I don't have access too.
Im considering culture converting to Greek to see if that let's me convert to feudalism - then culture convert back to Hungarian. Would that work?
Would I be better off going Orthodox or Catholicism for Hungary? The crusades seem singularly inept so I think I might just go Orthodox

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

toasterwarrior posted:

Alright, I understand that the tooltip saying that a congenital trait shared by two parents will be inherited (and has a chance of being reinforced) is wrong, in the sense that it's not actually a guarantee. If that's the case, when I'm looking for spouses, my priority shouldn't be getting as many traits in the mix as possible, but instead to focus on one kind of trait first in order to max it out down the generations before proceeding to the next kind of congenital trait? Is that right?

It's not right, but I think with the second Blood Legacy it is a guarantee if both parents have it. Traits can also degrade (so even if only one parent has Intelligent say, a child might get Quick). I don't know if anyone has worked out a meta for it.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I'm not sure I really like the addition of the Blood tree/Strengthen bloodline decision. In CK2 having a genius/strong/attractive ruler was an uncommon occurence, and so they stood out more. Here it's fairly simple to get those traits into every vassal in your empire, making it easy to always keep superhumans on the throne.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yea, the mere presence of that decision makes me just want to breed super humans all the time. It's kinda goofy, I wish the potential benefit of marrying for claims/alliances was higher so you had a reason to do that instead.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

PittTheElder posted:

Yea, the mere presence of that decision makes me just want to breed super humans all the time. It's kinda goofy, I wish the potential benefit of marrying for claims/alliances was higher so you had a reason to do that instead.

I get the feeling that the developers understand that most of the player base only gives a poo poo about breeding and incest. The fact that there was a bug where female children couldn't inherit claims after the first patch that somehow no-one noticed is insane.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Did they fix lack of matrilineal marriages in equal realms in the last patch? The end of my last game was a few generations after the patch and at the end I was handing out territories in Europe like candy to my dynasty, but all the women kept on marrying patrilineally so I had to skip over them unless they married within the dynasty...

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

No, and it sounded like at the moment they're not going to do anything to "fix" it / it's working as intended. I forgot the exact wording but the devs basically said "getting a game over because your dynasty ended is something that the only the player cares about. Characters don't give a gently caress and we don't think they should."

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

it's win-win performance wise if the family trees self-trim

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I think you can switch the inheritance preference to female, and the AI will start to prefer matri marriages, but yeah, under equal inheritance they will prefer normal marriages above matri ones.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Did they fix lack of matrilineal marriages in equal realms in the last patch? The end of my last game was a few generations after the patch and at the end I was handing out territories in Europe like candy to my dynasty, but all the women kept on marrying patrilineally so I had to skip over them unless they married within the dynasty...

No, right now Paradox is saying that this is how it's intended (I don't think it's good from a gameplay standpoint, but it is what it is). The good news is that it seems moddable now, and there are mods that make female rulers seek out matrilineal marriages in equal realms (and I think one or two that say female rulers will also do it in male-preference realms).

Excelzior posted:

it's win-win performance wise if the family trees self-trim

I haven't had issues with the family tree since the patch, even in a dynasty of a couple of thousand members.

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

Broken Cog posted:

I think you can switch the inheritance preference to female, and the AI will start to prefer matri marriages, but yeah, under equal inheritance they will prefer normal marriages above matri ones.

I've noticed this in my recent Daura run (taking the female preference law) that my AI family vassals were using matri marriages, so I do think that helps. However, I noticed upon reforming Bori that it seemed to set me back to having a male heir (my guess is since I had the religion as gender roles being equal).

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I mean I can see the verisimilitude argument if you have a society that switched from male dominated to equal that a lot of people would still default to tradition.

I feel like that a ruling dynasty or an ambitious dynasty would be playing the game though, considering strategic inheritance has literally been one of the main things in CK since the beginning

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
I asked a few pages back if I should get this, and I'm really glad I did over CK2. It's involved enough even with these sick tooltips.

So I turned over my long, successful reign to my secondborn son because my vassals collectively chose him (Scandinavian succession)...only they all hate him. They HATE him. I think it's because he's the wrong religion for some reason? Is there any way to change that?

Also...I clicked buttons and formed a second kingdom, but I'm not an empire. Was that wise? Now my half brother is barely containing his desire to secede even though he's my heir :saddowns: (yes I'm already trying to Sway him)

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

PittTheElder posted:

It's not right, but I think with the second Blood Legacy it is a guarantee if both parents have it. Traits can also degrade (so even if only one parent has Intelligent say, a child might get Quick). I don't know if anyone has worked out a meta for it.
The first legacy guarantees passing on traits that both parents have. The second increases the chance that when they have an equal level, the child will inherit the next level.

An overview of the basic behavior, before dynasty perks, is on the wiki.

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010

Red Crown posted:

I asked a few pages back if I should get this, and I'm really glad I did over CK2. It's involved enough even with these sick tooltips.

So I turned over my long, successful reign to my secondborn son because my vassals collectively chose him (Scandinavian succession)...only they all hate him. They HATE him. I think it's because he's the wrong religion for some reason? Is there any way to change that?

Also...I clicked buttons and formed a second kingdom, but I'm not an empire. Was that wise? Now my half brother is barely containing his desire to secede even though he's my heir :saddowns: (yes I'm already trying to Sway him)

1) Changing Religion: Yes, there are ways to deal with that. The easiest is to switch back, which costs a relatively small amount of piety, so that's what I'll cover here.

Go into your religion screen (in the bottom left, second button right of the stress bar). In the top right of the religion screen, beneath the fervor %, is the "Other Faiths" tab. Uncheck the box which says "Only [your religions group] faiths". Pick whatever faith you want. Your religion screen will now show that faith, and at the very bottom of the screen the button should now say "Convert to Faith". Click it, and you'll get a confirmation screen showing how many of your vassals might convert with you, and why.

2) Curbing Factions/Creating a new Kingdom: I don't know whether forming a second kingdom has an impact on willingness to secede, but opinion certainly does. Note that Befriending your half brother is more efficient than swaying, since being your Friend will outright prevent him from joining a faction - Seducing someone into being your Lover would too, but your half brother probably doesn't have a compatible sexuality (also it'd be kinda gross, but then so are arranged marriages and especially concubinage).

Creating a new kingdom is a mistake only if you have Partition or High Partition. If you do, having two kingdoms means that upon succession that kingdom will go to a second child, if any. That doesn't happen for single-heir succession (seniority/foo-geniture), obviously. For Confederate Partition it makes no difference, since the title would automatically be created on succession anyway.

However, losing a kingdom on succession needn't be a disaster, assuming your primary heir has a stronger military than their siblings. They all get pressed claims on each other, so a single war can get the kingdom back. If you've been building up your men-at-arms and/or your capital holding, you will probably be in a position to get it back.

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!
My 79 year old ruler was a legendary reveler, the man loved to feast. So when I saw he was on death's door, of course I had him throw one last feast. He died during it and my next ruler got an event about how the feast was going great right up until the king died, what a man, and he got the first level of reveler instantly.

I love this game. I really did not expect it to have a special event for dying at your own feast.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Is there a way to check the target and results of past wars? I was playing as the Count -> Duke of Anjou (with a single county in the Kingdom of Aquitaine) and my liege, the King of West Francia got in a war with the East Francia. After the war I lost all of my county titles in West Francia (all of them got transferred to the new king), but not the duchy and I somehow got myself under the King of Aquitaine.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I don't want to die. I have like 6 sons and a bitchload of angry vassals. But I am an old guy so death soon is inevitable. I've tried to bring peace and prosperity to the realm, but what do these guys understand about peace? It has been non-stop wars since the game began and only way to reduce them has been to subjugate these assholes around me. It will be a mega war when I die and my inept son has to rebuild everything :smith:

Is there some way I can claim the last title (Sysmä) of Duchy of Savo for myself? My vassal currently owns it and I want it, but I can't revoke the title. Maybe some claim forgery or something? Or should I have just conquered it before asking the guy to be my vassal?

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Oct 5, 2020

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Digital Osmosis posted:

No, and it sounded like at the moment they're not going to do anything to "fix" it / it's working as intended. I forgot the exact wording but the devs basically said "getting a game over because your dynasty ended is something that the only the player cares about. Characters don't give a gently caress and we don't think they should."

They are right about it, but a game over as soon as a character with a different last name inherits your duchy is annoying in itself. I once got screwed up when my character died shortly after his only son, his daughters inherited everything and the eldest one with a bunch of kids wasn't matrilineally married. I wish the game would just let me skip to the next sister after the oldest one died.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
Honestly I'm surprised that this is still the case. It's already strange that your spirit follows your primary title inheritance rules but can only move through direct dynasty members. Allowing to switch to closest dynasty member on main line dying can allow for some exploits but I don't think power gamer would ever allow such a scenario, so no big deal. It's much stranger when you suddenly switch to a granddaughter of your previous character and have to murder your husband and maybe even kids to escape game over.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Have you not watched Hereditary?

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
At least switch character being in the menu opens some options. I've been playing with the rule that I'll switch to my most interesting child on character death. Not much luck in iron-man though.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Jay Rust posted:

Have you not watched Hereditary?

I've turned it off after what's happened on the night road because thank you I have enough things to think about at 3 AM when I can't sleep. Is it somehow relevant?

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

super fart shooter posted:

:lol: is this how the adamites dress for battle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFhXivuXq00

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

ilitarist posted:

I've turned it off after what's happened on the night road because thank you I have enough things to think about at 3 AM when I can't sleep. Is it somehow relevant?

Oh sorry, it was just a sort of spoilery joke that only sort of works, about a nefarious spirit entering an heir and repurposing the rest of the family

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

I’ve got a genius third in line son, what are the good ways to get rid of the first two? Or should i just switch to playing the third one on succesion?

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

canada jezus posted:

I’ve got a genius third in line son, what are the good ways to get rid of the first two? Or should i just switch to playing the third one on succesion?

Murder them if you're Sadistic, force them to be knights and put them in command of an army right before it gets slaughtered, get maximum crown authority if you're not tribal and designate the genius as your heir, or Disinherit the two older ones for a total of 300 family points are the big ones I can think of.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Quorum posted:

Murder them if you're Sadistic, force them to be knights and put them in command of an army right before it gets slaughtered, get maximum crown authority if you're not tribal and designate the genius as your heir, or Disinherit the two older ones for a total of 300 family points are the big ones I can think of.

with the patch you could now also force them to take the vows. before you couldnt make them monks if they stood to inherit

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Quorum posted:

Gone are the days of sending unwanted chaps to convert heathens or spy on Constantinople.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
I've got a really fun tall game going as the Doux of Sicily. Started in 867 as the Count of Syracusa, the only non-muslim on the island. Took it all and then some by 1066, and now I am the Despot (King) of Sicily. I've never been a King vassal of an Emperor (Byzantine) though, and was expecting issues. Instead the Emperor granted me all my de jure vassals. I think I want to start an Independence faction but not really sure how to go about doing it where I don't get crushed, even though I might actually give my 18k army a shot vs Byz 30k.

Should I fabricate hooks on the strongest vassals to force them to join my Independence Faction? Mostly I've just been trying to fly under the radar and grow Sicilian culture but being able to throw the yoke of control is enticing.

e: I also meant to mention that for some reason the Emperor personally holds the Doux of Calabria, which is my de jure land, is there anyway I can persaude the emperor to give me that too? Briefly it was a vassal, when the previous owner passed I'm pretty sure succession split the titles and a prince inherited it but I couldn't move on it because he became emperor too quickly. I could also just bide my time and make a move the next time a succession occurs. Just so many options!

Blimpkin fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Oct 5, 2020

Quizzlefish
Jan 26, 2005

Am I not merciful?
I'm trying to get dynasty of many crowns but I've found that kingdoms inside my primary title can't be made independent? What gives?

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

Quizzlefish posted:

I'm trying to get dynasty of many crowns but I've found that kingdoms inside my primary title can't be made independent? What gives?

Can you hand the titles out, and then destroy the Primary title, making all those Kings your equal, and independent?

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

Caustic Soda posted:

However, losing a kingdom on succession needn't be a disaster, assuming your primary heir has a stronger military than their siblings. They all get pressed claims on each other, so a single war can get the kingdom back. If you've been building up your men-at-arms and/or your capital holding, you will probably be in a position to get it back.

Thanks for the info! I might avoid assassination yet. I gotta say that I love that I might have to go to war against my own (former) children...this game really captures that dramatic vibe in a big way.

A God drat Ghost posted:

I love this game. I really did not expect it to have a special event for dying at your own feast.

Didn't want this to go unappreciated. Not gonna lie, I'm gonna try this if I can.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

Red Crown posted:

Thanks for the info! I might avoid assassination yet. I gotta say that I love that I might have to go to war against my own (former) children...this game really captures that dramatic vibe in a big way.

You should know that your siblings will make every attempt to do what you plan as well. If succession is near, get your plan ready, you don't want to have happen to you what happened to me.

Lost a Kingdom in succession and my Sister allied the Byzantines to come take the entire Kingdom. Luckily her allies were more concerned with territory not near anything important so I was able to defeat her in the field by capturing her. We both were leading our armies.

Nowadays I just disinherit, and if I really need to, imprison them. The hit to renown is a bummer, but nothing beats leap frogging over 4 bad sons to give the Kingdom to the Genius 10 year old.

Quizzlefish
Jan 26, 2005

Am I not merciful?

Blimpkin posted:

Can you hand the titles out, and then destroy the Primary title, making all those Kings your equal, and independent?

Can't destroy my primary

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

Quizzlefish posted:

Can't destroy my primary

Well that's quite the thing I should've known before posting.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
I only managed to do the achievement by creating a new empire, switching to that one, destroying the old one and releasing the ten kingdoms that drifted into it by then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

Gantolandon posted:

They are right about it, but a game over as soon as a character with a different last name inherits your duchy is annoying in itself. I once got screwed up when my character died shortly after his only son, his daughters inherited everything and the eldest one with a bunch of kids wasn't matrilineally married. I wish the game would just let me skip to the next sister after the oldest one died.

I like CharlieFoxtrot's suggesting of making it tied to character traits, so ambitious / arrogant / stubborn or whatever women in equal inheritance situations are more likely to marry matrilineally. I mean there actually is an in-character reason why they'd want that: this is a game where coming from an especially storied family means you can live longer or hold onto more land. I was going to call that mechanic unrealistic, but then I remembered I'm an American with a master's of public health and yeah, that checks out, coming from a famous family really does save lives.

A God drat Ghost posted:

My 79 year old ruler was a legendary reveler, the man loved to feast. So when I saw he was on death's door, of course I had him throw one last feast. He died during it and my next ruler got an event about how the feast was going great right up until the king died, what a man, and he got the first level of reveler instantly.

This rules. I got one yesterday I hadn't seen - I was playing a sadist and an intrigue lifestyle event (I think?) fired that let me take part in a play. I passed the two checks and got some experience... and then there was a sadistic option to force the audience and actors to repeat the play over and over again until the professional actors, exhausted, performed worse than I did. The description of the audience trying to clap more and more enthusiastically the sixth time they saw the play that night was really funny.