Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Bloodplay it again posted:

0% sharpening is full-on blur and 100% sharpening is no blur, however I have mine set to about 90%. Values below that seem pretty blurry on my Rift S, but it is gonna be somewhat dependent on headset resolution and definitely dependent on personal taste.

Cool, I thought that's what you meant but I wanted to be sure.

Now that I've got the game rendering 60hz I may try playing in VR again at 120 with reprojection, turning down the blur may make it playable...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lokee
Oct 2, 2013

The brown sea is dark and full of terrors, but the paywall burns them all away.

Zikan posted:

The Yavin map is prime example of why a deep space map with nothing in it is actually terrible for gameplay. It’s like playing an fps game on a completely flat map with no cover.
It's rough in a tie especially. What I've started doing is boosting into the clouds to break targeting, boost back out and murder anything that was dumb enough to get close, then murder the others that turned away lazily :v:

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Pulled out the TIE Reaper for a round to see how it would be.

Found out that the shield buff is insane. It gives 500 shields which is a lot. Suddenly your team's TIE Ints have 1/3 more health. TIE Fighters are tankier then a stock Y-Wing. TIE Bombers can get up to 4500 health/shields when combined with the reinforced hull. It autoaims out to 2000 meters and pulls of extremely tight turns. Plus you can refresh it before the shield is fully depleted.

While the health beacon can technically heal more, teammates have to actively seek it out. With the shield buff you can still be an effective support even if you have a team of lone wolves.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

To own Yavin--Tie bomber with reinforced hull, rotary cannon (guided rotary if your favorite faction is rebels) unstable engine, the good CM, makes you a 3500 hull beast with improved top speed and only minor penalties to maneuverability and acceleration. Your aux are Goliath missile and multi lock missile. Never spend too long at half speed, learn to drift and re approach engagements from an angle that allows you lots of damage.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Did they ever sort out the issues with this game on Epic Game Store? I'm sitting on a $10 off coupon that expires at the end of the month.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Can someone explain to me the difference between switching power from engine to weapons, vs overcharging engine to weapons in a Tie is? And how i't supposed to be used?

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

veni veni veni posted:

Can someone explain to me the difference between switching power from engine to weapons, vs overcharging engine to weapons in a Tie is? And how i't supposed to be used?

More engine = sharper turns, better acceleration, higher top speed, boost meter charges faster
More guns = lasers recharge faster, lasers can overcharge, giving you more shots and shots on the overcharge meter do more damage

I haven't used the emergency power mechanic much yet. Recommend overcharging weapons generally then hitting engines to burn out after you finish attacking

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Anyone had luck getting Saitek Pro rudder pedals to work? It'll only bind to one degree of rotation and that'll just send my craft spinning in circles. Doing rudder with the brakes is hell.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I mean the two separate mechanics that appear to be the same thing. There is the basic weapon/engine switching which I understand fine. I just don't understand how the over charge (hold and switch) is different or compliments the other mechanic. As far as I can tell if you want to shoot, weapons, if you want to move, engines obviously, but then there's a whole other option to switch to engine or weapons that is different, and I don't understand how to utilize it other than just doing the same action twice. And I also don't get how it isn't totally redundant.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
So...ah...I do not understand any of this.

https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsSquadrons/comments/j4yi82/fleet_battle_creep_ai_leads_to_unwinnableunfun/?sort=confidence

But basically Fleet Battles are just a MOBA clone and it took all of 2 days to figure out how to break the game so Fleet battles are now a waste of time.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

UnknownTarget posted:

I'm stuck in like the second or third rebel mission where you have to blow up the jamming ships. It says "press the __ key" to call in a support ship or something. Since I don't have that key bound I can't progress, and the key isn't in any of the listings I've looked at. What is it/what's the default keyboard binding?

The function you need to bind is the comm wheel. In the campaign it just calls the support ship.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

I mean the two separate mechanics that appear to be the same thing. There is the basic weapon/engine switching which I understand fine. I just don't understand how the over charge (hold and switch) is different or compliments the other mechanic. As far as I can tell if you want to shoot, weapons, if you want to move, engines obviously, but then there's a whole other option to switch to engine or weapons that is different, and I don't understand how to utilize it other than just doing the same action twice. And I also don't get how it isn't totally redundant.

Rather then having to wait for your boost or ammo to fill up like normal, it will instantly fill up your boost bar/weapon ammo by swapping one for the other. This allows you to do things like put full power to engines, shoot until you run out of energy, and jam more energy into your guns without having to swap your power around and lose speed and maneuverability.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

You only overcharge when that subsystem is maxed out. Overcharge gives a special effect depending on the subsystem. There are different ways max out the subsystem based on how you set up your controls, for basic I think you can only choose to set whatever to max, but with advanced or whatever it's called you can choose specific pip values. This is mostly only useful for rebels, so you can set one to max and a second to like a bit under half and the third to 0 instead of one max and the other two low.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

veni veni veni posted:

For both sides, you can manage power generation and prioritise charging engines, weapons, and (for shielded craft) shields.

Then for shielded craft, you can also focus shields to front, back, or balanced. So if your back shields are gone but the fronts are still full, you can instantly move either half or all your front shield power to the back. Very useful.

For non-shielded craft, you can instead manage the existing power/charge of your weapons and engines. If you need weapon or engine power but it’s empty or low, you can instantly take power from the other system and start blasting or boosting away.

TL;DR: one mechanic is for managing power generation, the other is for managing the power that is already there.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

veni veni veni posted:

I'm pretty sure the emergency power mechanic (the thing that is bound to what rebels have shield facing bound to) lets you completely shut down your guns to instantly give you max engines and, more importantly, boost meter, or set your engines to almost nothing in exchange for giving you weapon energy and overcharge.

The drawback is that you're forced into not being able to attack or not being able to move much until the effect wears off.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Ah. So the basic switching function is just redirecting power to your overall systems, then the secondary switch is essentially a bonus "boost" that is based on your recharge?

I feel like It's pretty straight forward with the rebel shield switching but I've been really confused by the imperial counterpart.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Yeah, it’s actively taking banked charge from one system and shifting it to the other (along with killing your speed for a moment if you drain the engines), as opposed to just changing which systems are charging and how fast. Similar to the shield shunt mechanic where you take charge from one shield section and move it to the other.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

DurosKlav posted:

It seems pretty obvious the bomber rotary cannon is going to need a nerf, at the moment its just too good. It probably needs a longer charge up, or damage, or a range reduction, or maybe even more of an energy drain.

fly behind the y-wings not in front of them

E: re the power bank switching, is it the same as it was in the other games? the tool tips for it confuse me more than anything

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Stickman posted:

Yeah, it’s actively taking banked charge from one system and shifting it to the other (along with killing your speed for a moment if you drain the engines), as opposed to just changing which systems are charging and how fast. Similar to the shield shunt mechanic where you take charge from one shield section and move it to the other.

Ok this is the bit I was missing to fully understand the way the mechanic worked, it makes a lot more sense now

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Bold Robot posted:

With an imperial ship, it seems really effective to leave it on maxed engines almost all the time and just convert power to weapons when you need to fire. Other than the loss of speed when you initially dump the power over, are there any real downsides to this?

Yes this. I was talking about this earlier. I use a Fighter with the maneuverability mods for engine and hull and my maneuverability is higher than an Interceptor’s. I go into every fight with max engines 100% of the time and when I am about to shoot I drop a load into my guns to give them the big lasers. If I run out of ammo I just dump again. Your engine boost meter recharges fast enough you can easily get enough boost to gtfo if you need to. Rinse, repeat.

With the max maneuverability mods, max engines, and throttle at 50 you can run circles around A-Wings.

Now when I die it is usually self owns because I flew into the clouds or hit a wall/asteroid. If I die to a pilot it is 100% because I am double teamed.

TIE Fighters own.

dialhforhero fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Oct 5, 2020

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Also good aim is of course helpful. If you have at least a 50% accuracy you should be fine.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

*cat jumps on desk* sithspit, stackpole warned us about situational awareness in pilots

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Statutory Ape posted:

*cat jumps on desk* sithspit, stackpole warned us about situational awareness in pilots

It warms the cockles of my heart whenever someone itt unironically refers to TIE Interceptors as "squints"

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

The king of the sand castle

veni veni veni posted:

Power shunt is very powerful in TIEs, it means you can pretty much always overcharge guns or grab a boost when you need it, regardless of how your pips are set at any given moment. You can sit with max power in engines all the time for cool permaboosting, then shunt to weapons for instant overcharge when you get in a good position (then back to engines again to get out of dodge after). If you combine this with the +100% boost charge engines in regular TIEs then your pips in engines become significantly more valuable than pips in weapons, so you'd basically never need to move any pips, which can take some pressure off you when you're starting out. Keep both capacitors topped up just by periodically shunting from your rapid boost pool. You have to be a tiny bit careful with shunting though because if your wep meter is empty and you move all power out of engines you will slow to a crawl, so do it briefly when it really counts and try to keep weapons topped up during lulls.

Shields are a more obvious advantage at first - you should never trade shots or play chicken with rebel ships, but being able to permaboost zig-zag around is great and instantly overcharging weapons gives TIEs a significant damage advantage in practice, they're harder to exhaust.

Tommy the Newt fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Oct 5, 2020

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Drone posted:

It warms the cockles of my heart whenever someone itt unironically refers to TIE Interceptors as "squints"

Yes- somebody did that yesterday and it just felt good n right

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook
Just had a chill night trying out support. Since I can’t hit anything anyway I might as well buff they pilots that can eh? I actually topped the leaderboard without killing anyone haha.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Actually support needs more appreciation as usual and my best matches are when there is one and matches I lose are when the other team had one. I feel like even a half competent support player makes a big difference.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

i've been enjoying playing support a lot. i'm pretty ok at staying alive and keeping my team going, im trying to find out how to maintain that but offensively contribute.

im thinking that maybe ions would be good, or maybe the auto aimers for more opportunity shots, which is really the only ones i seem to take in that ship

i feel like ions are probably more useful as an imp support ship, tho thats just a gut feeling

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

The king of the sand castle
Ions are great if you're coordinating with your team, we did a few dogfights where support would ping targets, strip shields then move to a new target while the others picked them off, the result was like 16 assists 0 kills... with Interceptors hogging all the glory

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Anyone playing on an OG Vive with a 1080 or close performing setup? Just wondering what scaling percentages you are using.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
What kind of load outs are ppl using on assists?

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook

Stringent posted:

What kind of load outs are ppl using on assists?

You mean support? I use the ally heal and shield, and then hide in a corner and try to not die until they recharge and I can use them again.

Narrator: He died

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Imagine if your ship was disabled as long as they used to be in the original series. Waiting on that astromech to fix your poo poo. I remember once I had like 5 hull and every subsystem was offline. I was staring at that screen that showed you the percentage of repair on your subsystems nervously.

Some memories never leave you, man. :ohdear:

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I see people writing about mp balance. Does that mean you have finished the campaign? How is it?

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

You can hop into MP after the first two (ish) missions.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

There wasn't much variety to the campaign, but then again it's still a shooting space sim.

The voice acting and VR phases in the hanger were excellent, I thought. The animations they used for background characters were even really good.

Flight was the same as mp, with a couple of cool points towards the end.

Took me about 8 hours to finish, a nice short introduction to tactics and tutorial for the mp.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Turin Turambar posted:

I see people writing about mp balance. Does that mean you have finished the campaign? How is it?

Campaign is kind of poo poo tbh. It's good for learning to play and some practice shooting but the plot is bad and the missions are all pretty similar. Most of the characters felt like someone's Star Wars OC (do not steal). Biggest draw is that you get to dogfight in new and interesting maps like space docks.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

The semi-fun twist was one of the New Republic fighters, she was from the Sienar family. Also, seeing a bunch of names pop up in the random name generator (Ace Azzameen, Keyan Farlander, et al) was nice to see. I’ve been treating it as an extended tutorial for the multiplayer though, it’s a nice place to test remapped key bindings.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
every fleet battle now is just "we put you on the rebels because nobody wants to play on the rebels and also your team is down two fighters because nobody wants to play on the rebels"

guess it's dogfighting for me until this fix this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Power management will probably get nerfed on imperial side because it is OP as gently caress.