Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

blossommirage posted:

This happened to me with Guitar Hero 3 for some reason. Is it only Tetris that has that?

Shadowlyger posted:

No, it's basically any repetitive action. Do something often enough and your brain optimizes to do it better. The dreams are thought to be a side effect of this optimization process.

there's an old Coco bit about this exact phenomenon among speedrunners (slightly NSFW)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tqhIVhuoAk

e: that sure is a great preview image youtube picked for it

Falls Down Stairs fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Oct 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Shadowlyger posted:

No, it's basically any repetitive action. Do something often enough and your brain optimizes to do it better. The dreams are thought to be a side effect of this optimization process.
I assume this is related to the thing where Tony Hawk makes you see all the places you could be doing sick combos as you walk down the street in real life.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

For a bit, Katamari Damacy made me look at the world and go "I could roll that up probably."

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Kiara has moved twice in the last 3 days and can't get internet at her new place for a week, so she's over at the managers place streaming from their PC. A very dedicated streaming chicken.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Manager MVP. I wonder made her move from the first place?

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

twice? did she move more than the one time she did?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

SpartanIvy posted:

Kiara has moved twice in the last 3 days and can't get internet at her new place for a week, so she's over at the managers place streaming from their PC. A very dedicated streaming chicken.

And the potato PC has already crashed.

e: Holy poo poo! It can barely handle her welcome screen.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Aurora posted:

twice? did she move more than the one time she did?

That's what it sounded like but I'm wondering if she is including the temporary stay at manager-sans place as a move.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

trucutru posted:

And the potato PC has already crashed.

Aw beans. I was kind of hoping she would F3 during the stream and reveal that manager-sans PC had dual 3090s or something insane.

For those unaware: F3 in minecraft brings up debug and system info

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Japan will never be free of their PC stigma

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM
She did hit F3. From chat commentary I think it had an RX 580 and a whole 2gb of ram.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Watching her total poverty minecraft run is kinda chill.

Even pekora would feel ashamed to extort her out of her wooden tools.

e: At least she's getting red SCs asking her to get a better potato

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

So looks like Kiara's first collab outside EN will be with Subaru, she said that she wanted to get to know Pekora better before asking her.

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

she just mentioned shes gonna collab with subaru next week, gon be good

Webcormac McCarthy
Nov 26, 2007

Falls Down Stairs posted:

there's an old Coco bit about this exact phenomenon among speedrunners (slightly NSFW)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tqhIVhuoAk

e: that sure is a great preview image youtube picked for it

Coco puts out such comedy nuggets

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Subaru, did mention that she wanted to collab with Kiara and be a proper bird senpai, so I'm glad it actually happened. :woop:

Subaru is one of the hololive members who is actively curious about, and interested in, her overseas audience, while also not being part of the Coco/reddit circle, so that should be fun.

Lt. Lizard fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Oct 5, 2020

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Shadowlyger posted:

She did hit F3. From chat commentary I think it had an RX 580 and a whole 2gb of ram.

What a baffling set up. A not terrible gpu but a ram count circa 2006

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Kiara has the worst loving luck on these streams

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Tabletops posted:

What a baffling set up. A not terrible gpu but a ram count circa 2006

I believe minecraft only shows how much ram it's allocated as the max and by default it only allocates 2 GB to the client in the Java version.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I feel so bad for her, she seems to be getting really discouraged. :(

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I miss coco....

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
me too, motherfucker... me too.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Shipon posted:

I believe minecraft only shows how much ram it's allocated as the max and by default it only allocates 2 GB to the client in the Java version.

oh yeah ok. what kinda cpu was it?

weird, a 580 and anything in the last 10 years cpu wise should handle minecraft more than fine.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Tabletops posted:

oh yeah ok. what kinda cpu was it?

weird, a 580 and anything in the last 10 years cpu wise should handle minecraft more than fine.

It's probably the 3d face tracking app, minecraft, and streaming combined with the lack of RAM that's causing all the issues. She had to shut it down at the end because she couldn't even do superchats. I think she said she was literally going back to her place to get her current PC right after she ended it.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah she was very sad at the performance of manager-san's PC and how difficult it made streaming.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Lyer posted:

It's probably the 3d face tracking app, minecraft, and streaming combined with the lack of RAM that's causing all the issues. She had to shut it down at the end because she couldn't even do superchats. I think she said she was literally going back to her place to get her current PC right after she ended it.

Face tracking is done via their company phone.

Using a phone/seperate device to do face tracking might actually reduce the risk of accidentally showing the capturing cam. Towa already did that, luckily it didn't show anything.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiGuCR0kdAY&t=36s

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
The computer seems to have to handle the load of animating the avatars, though - some of the more famous potato PC havers like Watame and Polka have had to disable their avatars and put up stills on streams in the past to avoid having things grind to a halt.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Yeah if you need any proof that the PC is the thing rendering the avatar, just look at Calli's debut stream

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
im guessing kiaras potato pc was using the gfx card to render while managers was using cpu

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah I didn't see a video card on the F3 screen in Minecraft, I might have missed it but it couldn't have been very beefy based on the performance we saw.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
It was an AMD RX 580, which is definitely an older, out of date card but not a complete piece of poo poo. It's roughly on par with a 970, which can very easily handle streaming minecraft in normal circumstances. Based on the machine hitching and freezing up constantly I'm going to bet it was a RAM problem.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

honestly this seems completely fine unless it has like 4gb of ram. it's way better than a lot of other hololive streamers laptops. the weakest link is the cpu but even that isn't terrible. roughly equiv to a i5 7500

definitely something else going on there, oh well. sucks she had so many issues.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Saagonsa posted:

Yeah if you need any proof that the PC is the thing rendering the avatar, just look at Calli's debut stream

I remember Miko's avatar crashing with an iOS error once, tho

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
It's still 3 hours away but while I still remember, Chaika, Yashiro, Rikiichi and Maimoto are going to do a 4-man 3D stream playing Twister and besides that already promising to be art in stream form, I also love the art used in the stream image.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_3eWSwrucg

Speaking of Yashiro, guy's been crushing it at Super Mario Bros 35 in his recent streams. He's the same guy someone at some point linked playing ludicrously fast rhythm game, a powerful gamer.

https://twitter.com/846kizuQ/status/1312799485362233344

E:

Also Hajime is streaming APEX where if he dies, he'll have to suck on a pacifier until he's able to get 2 kills again. Why? Because there are no boundaries in the entertainment of the future.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmxLqsWi6xA

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Oct 5, 2020

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
https://twitter.com/shiori2525/status/1312737853076430850

meanwhile:
https://twitter.com/ArtemisVtuber/status/1312448498738982912

Zetsubou-san fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Oct 5, 2020

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014

Tabletops posted:

honestly this seems completely fine unless it has like 4gb of ram. it's way better than a lot of other hololive streamers laptops. the weakest link is the cpu but even that isn't terrible. roughly equiv to a i5 7500

definitely something else going on there, oh well. sucks she had so many issues.

Minecraft without OptiFine installed is weirdly heavy on performance in the strangest ways sometimes. That particular mod is a must-have for the game, IIRC it's fully compatible with unmodded servers too. That CPU/GPU combo can run minecraft with high draw distance, a higher rez resource pack and some nice shaders without much issue, I know it because I did it for quite a while.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."
Ya, they just gotta tell Minecraft its ok to use more than 2GBs.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

TheCoach posted:

Minecraft without OptiFine installed is weirdly heavy on performance in the strangest ways sometimes. That particular mod is a must-have for the game, IIRC it's fully compatible with unmodded servers too. That CPU/GPU combo can run minecraft with high draw distance, a higher rez resource pack and some nice shaders without much issue, I know it because I did it for quite a while.

i uhhh didnt know this mod existed... can i get the performance without changing any graphics stuff?

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Kanfy posted:

It's still 3 hours away but while I still remember, Chaika, Yashiro, Rikiichi and Maimoto are going to do a 4-man 3D stream playing Twister and besides that already promising to be art in stream form, I also love the art used in the stream image.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_3eWSwrucg

This is starting now, should be worth seeing for some real 3D nonsense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Kiara's tale of three PCs:

PC two is the one she's mostly been streaming from. It's at her new place that doesn't currently have internet. It's a rental, and has been working fine.

PC three is the manager's PC that she was using today. They'll be picking PC two up tomorrow and using it for future streams until internet is up at her place.

PC one is Kiara's actual PC. It's back at her previous old place and is her actual gaming PC. She really likes it and misses it, because she didn't want it to break while flying when she first moved. She'll have it again in about five months.