Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
For what it's worth there are videos on Bilibili of Xiangling at 0 constellation doing more DPS than Diluc at 6 constellation so Xiangling is no pushover as a lategame DPS character. For both it likely revolves around the Pyro enhancement artifact set but still, makes me lose some of the FOMO I had about not having Diluc. Even if his kit looks incredibly cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

I'm hoping to have some time this week to do some more OP typing. Life's been fairly busy with two members of my team announcing their departure and maternity leave from my workplace, so there's been a crazy rush to get all our work commitments down on paper and re-assigned, since I'll be the only person in the team until their roles can be filled. If anyone wants to contribute character descriptions, and doesn't mind me editing them to fit in with the ones I've already done (you'll be credited!) PM them to me!

I'm going to try to bash together a basics guide on stuff like elements and first steps either today or tomorrow.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Jaroslav posted:

So i managed to get the following from my "free" pulls:

2x Razor
Amber (free)
Noelle
Kaeya (free)
Jean
Lisa (free)
Barbara
Xianling

Anyone have any ideas on what characters i should focus on and in what priority from the above? Feeling a bit lost here

Razor and Barbara together are going to smoke just about everything that's not innate electro.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I lucked out and drew a 5* Mona without any rerolls :toot: Ive already gathered that she can run on water, but is she any good besides? I haven't settled on a character to focus on yet, but she seems like the obvious one.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Zodack posted:

For what it's worth there are videos on Bilibili of Xiangling at 0 constellation doing more DPS than Diluc at 6 constellation so Xiangling is no pushover as a lategame DPS character. For both it likely revolves around the Pyro enhancement artifact set but still, makes me lose some of the FOMO I had about not having Diluc. Even if his kit looks incredibly cool.

The 30+ sets all sound so cool and yet so unattainable. Getting 4 of the drat things to drop is hard. I've been trying to get the electro DPS one for two full days of resin and haven't even managed to get a single piece of it. I do have 3 pieces of the defensive one though, might pop it on and see how it feels if I get to 4.

echofriendly
May 25, 2007

It don't mean butt
if it ain't got that jutt.

Asimo posted:

I gave up trying to reroll for a 5* since I have no patience, and honestly (at AR22ish) this seems... pretty alright? Wound up mostly settling onto Chongyun/Xiangling/Barbara/Fischl in open world stuff, lose the fancy benefits from double elements but basically everything seems to combo into everything else and it can handle anything I've run into that isn't vastly over my head? Maybe I'll get hosed later though or something. :v:

Xians Q plus Fischls E is the room blender. Open with Chongyuns E and then Pop Fischls E for the tiny blender.

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

Really enjoying the game.

Pulled Diluc, Xiang, Noelle, Barbara, and water sword guy who’s name I forget. Plus all the freebies.

Optimum team makeup? Diluc is the obvious dps and I’ve been steamrolling early content with just him (AR 21 currently) but obviously that won’t work in the long run.

Team has been Diluc, Barbara for healing, Xiang/Amber for the fire/fire, and water sword guy for water/water. Diluc I’ve been outfitting with +atk and +crit and the sword that does +dmg to fire afflicted things. Barbara has been given as much +hp as possible. Other than that, unsure where to go. Suggestions please!

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

No Wave posted:

I'm not sure if I'm evaluating status effects correctly. I'm always going to run Kiqing and Fischl because I own them, and probably I'm always going to run Barbara because she's op in general, but I don't know how to evaluate Traveler, Chongyeung/Kaeyun, and Xiangling as the fourth member. Traveler gives swirl, Xiangling gives overheated, and ice gives superconductor. Superconductor and overheated look really similar so I guess I should just use the character whose E I like the best (which is probably Kaeyun) and try to stack their elemental mastery.

Superconductor gives a defense debuff in addition to the AOE damage both it and Overloaded can deal, so it seems better unless Overloaded has better base damage/damage formula? Haven't really paid attention to numbers in general but I don't have a cryo DPS in the first place to compare.

edit: sorry Kaeya, lol. his damage isn't super centric around his element and I'd be comparing him to Diluc do I dunno if that's even fair tbh

dogsicle fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Oct 5, 2020

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Lava Lamp Goddess posted:

Really enjoying the game.

Pulled Diluc, Xiang, Noelle, Barbara, and water sword guy who’s name I forget. Plus all the freebies.

Optimum team makeup? Diluc is the obvious dps and I’ve been steamrolling early content with just him (AR 21 currently) but obviously that won’t work in the long run.

Team has been Diluc, Barbara for healing, Xiang/Amber for the fire/fire, and water sword guy for water/water. Diluc I’ve been outfitting with +atk and +crit and the sword that does +dmg to fire afflicted things. Barbara has been given as much +hp as possible. Other than that, unsure where to go. Suggestions please!

You don't really need water/water, I'd recommend a lightning user of some sort (Fischl is the obvious recommendation if you can get her, but Lisa is apparently not actually bad with investment) for proccing overloads.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I definitely see overload do way more damage than superconductor, but at the same time my Xiangling is more optimized than my Kaeya

I think a chunk of what makes Fischl so good is that electro is kind of the best element all-around. From my observations, overcharge is preferable to vaporize and melt, electro-charged is preferable to vaporize and frozen, and superconduct is better than frozen and melt. The situational exceptions are frozen (which you use for crowd control) and melt (which you use to bust ice shields).

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Idk fire seems best. It melts ice barriers and destroys shields which are very obnoxious otherwise, and one of the most annoying enemy types (electro cicin mage) is Electro. I think Diluc is so sought after not only because of his stats and abilities but because fire greatsword is the best possible attack type.

I say this as someone whose main DPS is electro. Like you can do fine with anything for 99% of cases, I still unlocked Xiangling as soon as I hit AR20.

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

queeb posted:

No fischl, reroll

No need, I pulled her on my next two rolls.

Reflecting on this, I think I'm in the definitely reroll camp. This is my ar26 roster:

Looking at the history I estimate this to be about 30 ten pulls.

This is what I stopped with on my eighth reroll:

(screenshot taken after playing the rest of the day, Fish is the only character I didn't have at AR7).

Diluc is not only crazy DPS, but he's really fun, at least to me.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

After drinking around in the Abyss In terms of combat efficacy I think it’s definitely fire and lightning at the top, everything else in the mid and Earth at the bottom. I wouldn’t be surprised if freezing enemies becomes really important later on, though.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Why is earth at bottom? Ive been using niang(mumblemumble) on my team for a little bit and she seems pretty okay at least.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

THE loving MOON posted:

Why is earth at bottom? Ive been using niang(mumblemumble) on my team for a little bit and she seems pretty okay at least.

Geo's only reaction is crystallize, which doesn't do any damage. It drops crystals which provide a shield, which will probably be useful down the line, but as it is the spiral abyss challenges are mostly time-based, so you just want to maximize damage.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Its elemental synergies are weak - most challenges in the game are structured around/give you more awards for killing things fast and Geo's only synergy is defensive.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Annoying nitpick: When you're selecting a floor to play on from the menu, the abyss will show you which monsters are inside.
But when you beat a floor and it asks "continue to the next one? y/n?" it just dumps you into the pick-your-team menu without showing you that.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

No Wave posted:

Its elemental synergies are weak - most challenges in the game are structured around/give you more awards for killing things fast and Geo's only synergy is defensive.

Yeah, it's why I hate when games like this have rewards tied to time attack stuff. There's all sorts of cool effects and neat stuff you can do defensively, but right now the optimum play is to just blender everything as fast as you can, and right now that means lots of overlapping fire/lightning/wind effects.

I hope later Abyss floors test your endurance more than your clear time. That would do a lot to flatten the power level of all the characters I think.

Ougher
Jan 16, 2005
I've seens some streams of later abyss floors, and they all have that timed star grade, with it requiring you to at least get 6 stars out of 9 to move to the next floor. I guess it's kinda your gear check.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Ougher posted:

I've seens some streams of later abyss floors, and they all have that timed star grade, with it requiring you to at least get 6 stars out of 9 to move to the next floor. I guess it's kinda your gear check.

It's mostly gear check. All of Abyss has been cleared with base free characters.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Ah okay. Im still to early to know whats really useful. I guess ill do mona, lisa, ice guy, and either amber or bennet for now. Im leaning amber since I have a constellation for her.

Edit: ooo looking ahead ill probably use xiangling instead for fire. I have a 5* spear sitting around unused

THE FUCKING MOON fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Oct 5, 2020

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

i haven't found it useful so far but crystallize's presence feels like it's presaging possible unavoidable damage it will help eat/prevent interruption in the future. the defensive swing of both the shield and the debuff seem powerful there's just not anything I've encountered yet where you need that sort of thing as the game seems balanced around almost all sources of damage being technically avoidable especially with dodge being an animation cancel.

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

Is there a way to remap controls? I’m playing m/kb because I found the controller setup maddening and I wish I could change some of the key combos. It just isn’t fast pressing 1-4 to switch characters, much less alt+1-4 to switch and use skill. But I poked around the controls menu and nothing I did did anything.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Lava Lamp Goddess posted:

Is there a way to remap controls? I’m playing m/kb because I found the controller setup maddening and I wish I could change some of the key combos. It just isn’t fast pressing 1-4 to switch characters, much less alt+1-4 to switch and use skill. But I poked around the controls menu and nothing I did did anything.

Nope. I have to assume it'll be coming soon. This game is solid at its core, but there's a lot of QoL stuff that it needs.

Also, another weird tip people might not catch right away: The BP quests have a lot of stuff that look like they requires resin, like doing ley line challenges, domains, and elite enemies. You can actually complete these without spending the resin to collect the rewards, if you're short and don't want to burn up your consumable resin at the moment.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

This is the best roll I've ever seen

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

MarcusSA posted:

I cant get my PC to take a screenshot for the life of me but the “quest” to come up here was cool as gently caress.

Edit: Figured out alt shift S

That was definitely a fun one. Personally, I just discovered a pretty neat fetch quest that triggers if you board a lone ship in the southeast islands of Liyue. Sadly, screenshots are harder to share on PS4

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

Aquila posted:

No need, I pulled her on my next two rolls.

Reflecting on this, I think I'm in the definitely reroll camp. This is my ar26 roster:

Looking at the history I estimate this to be about 30 ten pulls.

This is what I stopped with on my eighth reroll:

(screenshot taken after playing the rest of the day, Fish is the only character I didn't have at AR7).

Diluc is not only crazy DPS, but he's really fun, at least to me.

What does the icon next to Mona's element symbol mean?

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

To be honest, I'm still having a little trouble wrapping my head around combat and party setup. I get the general idea is to swap party members for elemental reactions but I wouldn't say I'm optimizing at all. The content just happens to be very easy so far.

What is a good support team for Chongyun? I typically start with Barbara to get all my enemies Wet and then go ham with him. Is that the way to go? I know I could weave in Amber after that to get Melt going but it doesn't seem as valuable as just.... auto-attacking the frozen enemies with Chongyun.

So right now I'm using those three (Amber helps in aiming-based situations) and I sometimes switch between Noelle and Traveler (Anemo) depending on which element I need for a puzzle or whatever. When it comes to combat, I feel like I'm only really getting any use out of Barbara and Chongyun.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015

gandlethorpe posted:

What does the icon next to Mona's element symbol mean?

It's her hat!

100 degrees Calcium posted:

What is a good support team for Chongyun? I typically start with Barbara to get all my enemies Wet and then go ham with him. Is that the way to go? I know I could weave in Amber after that to get Melt going but it doesn't seem as valuable as just.... auto-attacking the frozen enemies with Chongyun.

IMO getting damage procs is better than a CC for most fights, especially easy content where you just want to burn things down as fast as you can. For that you want to set up Pyro or Electro. Xianling is probably better than Amber for setting up Pyro generally because her skill is very "fire and forget" and reapplies status several times, while Amber requires more work to regularly apply Pyro (though if you have her Burst ready, you can combine it with another elemental source that rapidly reapplies to chain a bunch of reactions for big damage). Your free Electro option is Lisa, though probably any of the gacha Electro characters are better than her. Her Burst is similar to Amber in that it rapidly reapplies Electro status in a big radius, which is always a good opportunity to create rapid chain reactions.

Anemo traveler is good for almost everything because swirl will suck up whatever existing element is on the enemy or in the environment and apply bonus damage with it.

Scoss fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Oct 5, 2020

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

Scoss posted:

It's her hat!

That it is, lol

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Scoss posted:

It's her hat!

IMO getting damage procs is better than a CC for most fights, especially easy content where you just want to burn things down as fast as you can. For that you want to set up Pyro or Electro. Xianling is probably better than Amber for setting up Pyro generally because her skill is very "fire and forget" and reapplies status several times, while Amber requires more work to regularly apply Pyro (though if you have her Burst ready, you can combine it with another elemental source that rapidly reapplies to chain a bunch of reactions for big damage). Your free Electro option is Lisa, though probably any of the gacha Electro characters are probably better than her. Her Burst is similar to Amber in that it rapidly reapplies Electro status in a big radius, which is always a good opportunity to create rapid chain reactions.

Anemo traveler is good for almost everything because swirl will suck up whatever existing element is on the enemy or in the environment and apply bonus damage with it.

This is really good info. Thank you very much.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Tried to stray from exploring to some combat while playing in mobile.

I will not be doing that again.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

100 degrees Calcium posted:

To be honest, I'm still having a little trouble wrapping my head around combat and party setup. I get the general idea is to swap party members for elemental reactions but I wouldn't say I'm optimizing at all. The content just happens to be very easy so far.

So right now I'm using those three (Amber helps in aiming-based situations) and I sometimes switch between Noelle and Traveler (Anemo) depending on which element I need for a puzzle or whatever. When it comes to combat, I feel like I'm only really getting any use out of Barbara and Chongyun.

Characters like Amber or Kaeya where you swap them in, apply a single proc and then swap out again are basically worthless for combos (Kaeya's ult is ok though, it's just his basic ability that sucks).
To take advantage of elemental reactions stuff you want persistent abilities that can keep applying status multiple times, especially after you swap out. Stuff like Barbara's heal, Xiangling's fire-breathing bear, Beidou's and Xingqiu's ultimates, etc, all give you the ability to get a whole bunch of elemental reactions instead of just one. Of the free characters that pair well with Chongyun, try Xiangling for the bear and pyronado to get constant melt procs, or Lisa with her ultimate to spam superconduct (this is probably more damage but a lot lower uptime than xiang's bear).

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
Crystalize is especially good against the electro-boss. Drop Q from the Geo MC and you basically don't have to avoid the hazards on the floor.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Why exactly are people calling Fischl "Support," She has no support skills, they are all damage

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Anora posted:

Why exactly are people calling Fischl "Support," She has no support skills, they are all damage

idk the terms are pretty different, i call her an enabler mainly because i was first introduced to the language from https://docs.google.com/document/d/1O69ko3no3mIWJpguuBsHErrxqySGMehUAOgEpUlld9I/preview?pru=AAABdPZdh2Q*iZzxJVznoE88o0yj1hYr8A

which describes her as a carry/enabler which seems correct to me.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Anora posted:

The way people use "support" in this game just means someone that is really good at applying element to set someone else up for elemental reactions

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Anora posted:

Characters classed as "support" do damage without being the main-dps dude on the field.
You swap them in, do big damage with their skill or ultimate, then swap out while it's on cooldown and go back to whacking faces with a claymore until they're back up. In particular, Fischl's raven is also super strong for enabling elemental reactions. Drop it and then switch to a water/fire/ice character to abuse the infinite lightning procs. The raven will keep doing Big Fischl Damage, meanwhile the other character you're playing gets to have infinite overload explosions or whatever.

So you want to pair Fischl with a sustained dps character who can keep hitting big numbers without cooldowns.

e: yeah "Enabler" is a better term than support

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

avoraciopoctules posted:

That was definitely a fun one. Personally, I just discovered a pretty neat fetch quest that triggers if you board a lone ship in the southeast islands of Liyue. Sadly, screenshots are harder to share on PS4

Just make a twitter and press the share button to upload screenshots to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

drat, I cannot get the 3 star challenge in the 3rd floor of abyss tower with my current squad. I guess I have to level my guys up some more.

fadam fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Oct 5, 2020