Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Spooky Halloween Outfit Ideas
This poll is closed.
The guy from Hades 37 7.76%
The priest from Faith 22 4.61%
A Corpse from Microsoft's Graveyard 27 5.66%
The Ouya 62 13.00%
Google Stadia (scariest option) 73 15.30%
Mr. Mosquito 31 6.50%
Did someone say Bowsette? BECAUSE I AM PRETTY SURE I HEARD SOMEONE SAY BOWSETTE 122 25.58%
Wario (nude) 62 13.00%
Wario (formal) 33 6.92%
Captain N 8 1.68%
Total: 304 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I said come in! posted:

What about this is an incorrect statement though?

All of it

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Bad brains itt, and folks I’m not talking about the punk band !!

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I thought the PlayStation horror game jam was poo poo because only a handful of games did the texture warping

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Grapplejack posted:

I thought the PlayStation horror game jam was poo poo because only a handful of games did the texture warping

Floating point is the spookiest type of variable

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

can we agree that homeworld looks better than warzone

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Relax Or DIE posted:

Remastered is very purdy and I would say that it does. The original though, no, it's long since hit the point where the graphics aren't holding up.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Relax Or DIE posted:

I am looking forward to finally seeing Homeworld 3 gameplay.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I said come in! posted:

I am looking forward to finally seeing Homeworld 3 gameplay.

They originally gave a vague release date of 2022 for HW3 that I assume isn't holding now. I'm also pretty sure Homeworld Mobile is dead.

May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
related i just started Deserts of Kharak and I haven't played enough to have a strong opinion yet, but I do highly respect their dedication to having all the various buggies do sick jumps off sand dunes

May 8, 2006

also I have 0 faith that gearbox can pull off a melancholy space rts like homeworld

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Relax Or DIE posted:

also I have 0 faith that gearbox can pull off a melancholy space rts like homeworld

As much as I want to have hope in it, for one, Randy Pitchford, and for two, that Fig campaign thing is a giant reg flag

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Megaman Legends is the best-looking game of all time

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

May 8, 2006

bring back tron bonne

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i like what happens when ambitious artists and developers strain against the limitations of the hardware they're working with. vagrant story is a great and especially memorable example, but i would also put games as varied as star fox (snes) and gta 5 (360/ps3) in that category

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

RBA Starblade posted:

As much as I want to have hope in it, for one, Randy Pitchford, and for two, that Fig campaign thing is a giant reg flag

At least backers get a return on their investment if the game sells well (it wont).

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

haveblue posted:

Low poly art is fine but the PS1 had hideous texturing thanks to its lack of perspective correction, hard to see who's nostalgic for that

It's actually pretty interesting and amusing because for a long time people said indies wouldn't be into reproducing the PS1 aesthetic like they'd been with pixel art but no, it turns out it was only a matter of time and several dev communities have been really into it in recent years.

Grapplejack posted:

Although the warping is trivial to do if you have direct access to the shader code (affine texturing is just a flag) if you're making your shaders in Unity you can't do it nearly that easily. Toolsets have been made to easily provide it so it's probably gonna become more common.

RBA Starblade posted:

Floating point is the spookiest type of variable

One of the EEK3 previews really cracked me up because some of the monsters not meant to be seen by human eyes had deliberately rougher vertex swimming so they'd look extra unnatural.

Relax Or DIE posted:

related i just started Deserts of Kharak and I haven't played enough to have a strong opinion yet, but I do highly respect their dedication to having all the various buggies do sick jumps off sand dunes

They've got a super intresting GDC conference on the technical ide where they explain Kharak is actually a fully 2D RTS on a flat map gameplay-wise and they just pinned a 3d physics-enabled model doing all the sick 3d terrain jumps on top of each 2d unit.

Chev fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Oct 5, 2020

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

mml is definitely a game where the artists were extremely aware of the hardware that it was gonna be running on. the n64 port looks like poop, comparatively

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

It blows my mind that Resident Evil 2 is on Nintendo 64. The entire game, nothing was cut from it, and keep in mind Resident Evil 2 was a 2-disc game with FMVs, and N64 has a limitation of 25mb.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Weedle posted:

i like what happens when ambitious artists and developers strain against the limitations of the hardware they're working with. vagrant story is a great and especially memorable example, but i would also put games as varied as star fox (snes) and gta 5 (360/ps3) in that category

Devs sometimes still do that, it just costs $100 million now.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Squaresoft was right to abandon Nintendo

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Jay Rust posted:

Squaresoft was right to abandon Nintendo

I feel like that decision was unfair. What they wanted to do with Final Fantasy probably would not have worked on Nintendo 64, but they made plenty of other games that could have.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

FFX and XII would've been just fine on the GC. Hell XIII and XV might have ended up better if Square had some hardware constraints.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

haveblue posted:

Low poly art is fine but the PS1 had hideous texturing thanks to its lack of perspective correction, hard to see who's nostalgic for that

I am and I never owned an original PS and was a hardcore n64 console warrior at the time, constantly attacking the inferior console for it's jaggies, pixelated textures, and wonky surfaces. Now I can appreciate how it's janky in all of the unique ways you can't really emulate without attempting to emulate how the ps1 was doing poo poo. I was looking up tutorials for how to make your models look like that and it's actually kind of a pain in the rear end, can't just slap tiny textures of a lumpy low poly model. It's a cool ~aesthetic~ and I really loved in MGSV when you could put on the old skins.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

I said come in! posted:

It blows my mind that Resident Evil 2 is on Nintendo 64. The entire game, nothing was cut from it, and keep in mind Resident Evil 2 was a 2-disc game with FMVs, and N64 has a limitation of 25mb.

DF has an article on it but they basically remade all textures and backgrounds and FMV frames at a lower resolution, halved the FMV framerate but with careful use of the N64's interpolation they could make a lot of all that less apparent. All sounds were downsampled too, naturally. It's worth noting the RE2 cartridge is actually 64mb though.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Relax Or DIE posted:

also I have 0 faith that gearbox could ever make a game worth playing

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
They did something similar for THPS on N64 (DF also has a video discussing that). They removed all the FMVs, and limited the song tracks to be 90 seconds each, and redid the intro movie to be in-engine instead. Otherwise all the content is there.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

and dont forget the joker

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Is Gearbox developing or just publishing like they did with Deserts of Kharak, I think Blackbird Interactive have been solid with their work to date

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Is Gearbox developing or just publishing like they did with Deserts of Kharak, I think Blackbird Interactive have been solid with their work to date

Publishing but I'm pretty sure they are Gearbox devs working on it just like with Remastered.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

one of the very last games released for the n64 was a port of tony hawk's pro skater 3, released in 2001 for the ps2 and in 2002 for the xbox, pc, and n64

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqLnW0t96cA

that was the end of the line for the hawkman on n64 but they kept the fifth-gen action going with tony hawk's pro skater 4 for the ps1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vSBcMWEWZ4

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

https://twitter.com/NetflixUK/status/1313109296545226770/photo/2

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Barudak posted:

They got some very, very bad sega games out of their arrangement so I can see not wanting more

Even the shittiest Sonic games still sell surprisingly well.

homeless snail posted:

i have no idea what you're talking about, sega is in its renaissance right now, they're making some of the best stuff they've made in a long time + all the good studios they acquired that are now technically making sega games

Sonic Forces was just as terrible as ever, the only part that's in a renaissance is the Yakuza department.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Sonic Forces was just as terrible as ever, the only part that's in a renaissance is the Yakuza department.

uh
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBC9u_5f1jQ

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

i, again, post an ongeki video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reQhB2DuVxQ

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Awesome Animals posted:

Like FIFA, why go F2P when you have millions of people paying $60 so they can drop more money on the gacha?

I feel like I must be the only person left who strictly only plays fifa career mode

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

i go on to post a sega maimai video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yi10_uqvnE0

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Rip arcades, done in by corona

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

its okay they'll just release a conversion kit to turn your washing machine into a maimai cabinet