Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Spooky Halloween Outfit Ideas
This poll is closed.
The guy from Hades 37 7.76%
The priest from Faith 22 4.61%
A Corpse from Microsoft's Graveyard 27 5.66%
The Ouya 62 13.00%
Google Stadia (scariest option) 73 15.30%
Mr. Mosquito 31 6.50%
Did someone say Bowsette? BECAUSE I AM PRETTY SURE I HEARD SOMEONE SAY BOWSETTE 122 25.58%
Wario (nude) 62 13.00%
Wario (formal) 33 6.92%
Captain N 8 1.68%
Total: 304 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

arcades crystallize the artistry and absurdity of video games in a way that is still not possible in the home, so rip sega chunithm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIAqag8NQAc

at least you can buy a sound voltex controller for not that much money...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
it's like i can actually hear snail's account being debited

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

The best musicians are those who play their instrument super fast

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

The best musicians are those who play their instrument super fast
no the best musicians are like the guy in two-torial that pauses the song halfway through and challenges you to listen and repeat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_ODbSuyx0M

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

In Parasite Eve, is it worth doing New Game+ for the additional ending?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

These videos make it clear that next gen controllers need a lot more dials and levers

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

video games would be a whole lot better if every video game required its own custom controller

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

homeless snail posted:

video games would be a whole lot better if every video game required its own custom controller

Imagining a lot of indie game controllers made out of cardboard and trash

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

homeless snail posted:

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Are there any rhythm arcade games with good music or is it all just like this

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

goblin week posted:

That's about it

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

goblin week posted:

pretty much all rhythm games within the past decade are denpa music games, because theres a big overlap between denpa music nerds and rhythm game nerds + denpa is basically tailor made to be in rhythm games anyway

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

unless you're supremely nerdy and play konami's nostalgia
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RS6R7a14TuM

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

coming full circle this year when the best denpa singer in the world, nanahira, had to cancel her concert in iowa because of coronavirus, so became a vtuber and played her own songs in muse dash and sound voltex on stream in virtual anime form

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

goblin week posted:

Pop’n Music has always owned and continues to own imo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mj7bIy2a3PI

The song is from Pop’n Music 1 from 1998 but this difficulty level is from the latest version.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Pop ‘n Music is about as esoteric of a bemani game I’ve really gotten into. There are/were some arcades in my area with a lot of Japanese imports but I just dabbled the few times I went. There was one where the controller was a 4x4 grid of boxes.

Vagrant Story is very good and that tweet thread has me jonesing for another playthrough. I should probably try to beat FFT once first? Guess I need to dust off the PlayStation handhelds.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I keep waking up wanting to play games but the act of waking up is so exhausting that I end up crashing back to sleep

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Where are you supposed to start if you want to try to learn to make a very simple game

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

That text adventure engine? Start with an “i” i think

e: By which I mean, has an “i” in it

Jay Rust fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Oct 6, 2020

May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
Twine?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

https://www.inklestudios.com/ink/

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The game has arrived

https://twitter.com/SunhiLegend/status/1313244421450850305

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Boy, seeing how slowly that health bar got emptied makes me shiver

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

goblin week posted:

There's good music in there, but people just obsess over the hard songs which are all like, 200+ bpm drum machine panic attacks instead of music. Sega and Konami games also tend to have a generous smattering of music from their game catalogues as well.

Edit: https://youtu.be/2_d6JgLCWpo

mango sentinel fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Oct 6, 2020

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Help Im Alive posted:

Where are you supposed to start if you want to try to learn to make a very simple game
depends on your skills, if you know how to program just download unity or unreal imo. if you don't know how to program, unity and unreal both have visual scripting, either built-in or in plugins you can install. or gamemaker studio. if you have a PS4, and you don't mind your thing only being available on a PS4, gently caress around with dreams

Jay Rust posted:

Boy, seeing how slowly that health bar got emptied makes me shiver
as nice as the gif looks, its demonstrably the Wrong way to play the game, in terms of effectively killing things

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I said come in! posted:

In Parasite Eve, is it worth doing New Game+ for the additional ending?

It's an unbelievable amount of extra work just to have the canon sequel hook. And the sequel's bad.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Help Im Alive posted:

It’s kind of basic but if you want to start from the very bottom, this is a great guide to start with to really get your hands dirty:

http://osmstudios.com/tutorials/your-first-love2d-game-in-200-lines-part-1-of-3

After that though it all gets really specialized, and it comes down to the game you want to make and how you want to make it. Most of the bigger engines really just have tutorials for “how do I accomplish (specific task)” rather than comprehensive stuff, because there’s a lot of ground to cover. Most of game dev isn’t incredibly hard, per se, but the more complex your project gets the more you have to deal with.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

Help Im Alive posted:

Don’t make a game. Get certified in a language the. Go work for an app or something.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Rexicon1 posted:

Don’t make a game. Get certified in a language the. Go work for an app or something.

C# or Java are recommended

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

i'm gonna presume its "how do i make a game" as a creative outlet, which is just about the polar opposite from becoming an Enterprise Java Programmer

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

The other day I watched a stream of Mary Kate and Ashley: Sweet 16 Licensed to Drive, a Mario Party-type game with about ten unique minigames that each take about ten minutes, and a seemingly infinite number of laps.

Here is the moment when, after seven hours, the streamers realise that they did not, in fact, set the game to a limit of ten laps:

https://clips.twitch.tv/CrunchyAdorableMageStinkyCheese

Somehow I played this game multiple times as a kid, but I have no recollection of ever finishing it. Great soundtrack, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nr5xWWzYLeM

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

now can someone please rank some games so that I can complain about it, tia

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Adjunct Professor Metis posted:

my ranking of the system shock series, from best to worst:

1. system shock 2
2. system shock

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Weedle posted:

1. system shock 2
2. system shock

unbelievable. can't believe someone would rank these games like this. this is "anime" to me.

I would rank the games in this way:

1. system shock
2. system shock 2

This is the best ranking because it is in order of release

May 8, 2006

Weedle posted:

1. system shock 2
2. system shock

1) Prey 2017
2) SS2
3) SS1

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

Adjunct Professor Metis posted:

Number 1: EVO Search for Eden
Number 2: Secret of Mana 2
Number 3: Terranigma

Don’t loving do this to me.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
can someone link me the Gungeon thread i need a gif from the OP and i couldn't find the thread on the first five pages

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Hello friends! I have been gone a long time wrestling with Covid Life and all the happy chaos it has thrown my way. I now have three(!) weeks off where I can finally tidy the house up and be there for my wife who has just now lost her job!!! I hope this year hasn't ground everyone to dust (at least irrecoverably) and that you and your families have stayed safe and happy over these last six or so months.

I've pretty much played Apex Legends daily which has still been a lot of fun but I've also enjoyed a few other games in the meantime:

NGU Idle: I didn't know this was a goonmade game until fairly recently but it's the only idle game I've ever put time into. It's weird and neat and I like seeing the numbers go up.

Warframe: I've played this game on and off for years and I've fallen back into the hole. Yeah it's a skinner box grind game but it does Flashing Lights and Loud Screaming well and I'm really enjoying the hoverboard and all the weird different systems they've added. I keep going to play it for a little bit and then playing it forever.

Cogmind: Fun-rear end roguelike where you play as a robot who takes bits of other robots and sticks them on himself to blow up more robots to stick their bits on. I keep making giant overheating tanks and collapsing walls by mistake.

Slime Rancher: STOP IT YOU LITTLE BASTARDS, STOP GETTING INTO EACH OTHER'S ENCLOSURES, NO, STOP, FUC

I've also played some games with the wife and here are her thoughts:

Resident Evil 7: She loved it, got scared a lot and really liked the graphics. We had to play it on Easy but it was still a good time for her and she loved the Baker mansion.

The Walking Dead: The Final Season: Truth be told I had low expectations following some of the later seasons which were good but very flawed but my god the final season is really excellent. I was expecting a trainwreck given its development but it's actually super good and well written.

Disco Elysium: She liked some of the interactions but there was too much reading and it felt too wacky for her.

Papers, Please: Wound up playing a lot of this, apparently she's a fan of bureaucracy (gently caress spelling that word). I learned that she is incredibly cutthroat and will turn away pretty much everyone despite their stories.

Return of the Obra Dinn: We're playing this right now, I thought the low-fi graphics would turn her off because she haaaaates retro visuals but as a murder mystery fan she's having a blast. I love the Obra Dinn as a setting so it's really nice to have a candle on and listen to the water again.

I have put off playing two games just for my holiday, Horizon Zero Dawn (Which has apparently been made into a functioning game rather than a half-living mess of a port) and Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night. I've never played a Castlevania game before and I've heard nothing but good things about this so I'm intrigued.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Dead Rising Triple Pack
Dead Rising 2
Dead Rising 2: Case Zero
Dead Rising 2: Off The Record
Dead Rising
Dead Rising 3
Dead Rising 4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

This is a screenshot from a game I am playing. The game is called bingo, and I am winning.