Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

DoubleDonut posted:

Seth Rogen said criticism of Israel is not criticism of Jews or Judaism so as far as the neolibs and chuds are concerned, he's a nazi

Please, he'd just be anti-Semitic.

They're okay with Nazis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Seth Rogen is a traitor to all Jews because he doesn't believe Israel is predestined to fight the last battle that will bring Jesus out of retirement and condemn all Jews to hell forever.

Wait, weren't these ISIS talking points as well? Who cares

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/TomTaylorMade/status/1313249549092151296?s=20

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
yeah at some point we decided to let ISIS and Nazis decide what the definition of anti-semitism is

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
speaking of which

https://twitter.com/YairNetanyahu/status/1312486990529454080

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
I'm curious what an Israeli jew thinks a globalist is, since it's usually just an anti-Semitic dog whistle. Commies maybe?

Brandon Proust
Jun 22, 2006

"Like many intellectuals, he was incapable of scoring a simple goal in a simple way"

Synnr posted:

I'm curious what an Israeli jew thinks a globalist is, since it's usually just an anti-Semitic dog whistle. Commies maybe?

palestinians

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Synnr posted:

Leftists.

Also keep in mind that multiple standing Israeli government officials are on record as literal Hitler apologists.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Synnr posted:

Remember that the Israeli right (and Yair Netanyahu specifically) are perfectly fine being buddy-buddy with a bunch of grotesquely anti-Semitic right-wingers.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Lustful Man Hugs posted:

Remember that the Israeli right (and Yair Netanyahu specifically) are perfectly fine being buddy-buddy with a bunch of grotesquely anti-Semitic right-wingers.

Yeah, their best buddy is Viktor Orbán, whose main schtick is to rally people against the Jewish global conspiracy headed by Soros.

I's just so gross and depressing and the US is bending backwards to basically delegate all their foreign policy decisions to this neo-Nazi hellhole.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Giga Gaia posted:

did you pay 10 grand for it and, more importantly, did it you expect it to be a child and not a headboard?

I paid about $200 and expected it to be sturdier. Now that I've read about it, it looks like I can count that as a win because if I was out a shitload of money AND some kid shows up, it's like what am I going to do? You know they won't take the kid back and refund my money and I still don't have a headboard, I'd have really been screwed then.

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

steinrokkan posted:

Leftists.

Also keep in mind that multiple standing Israeli government officials are on record as literal Hitler apologists.

Netanyahu literally, literally-literally, said palestinians were responsible for the holocaust

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

But isn’t it calling that the first step toward falling prey to conspiracy theory? Like I don’t see why it would be dangerous to understand those things or to pay attention to them any more than anything else—unless I’m misunderstanding the chart.

The chart is not placing a value judgement on believing in that tier, it's saying that the entry point to conspiracy theories is observing the insane, abhorrent acts that take place in reality, and trying to construct a worldview that makes sense of a society that allowed them to occur.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/Bibliogato/status/1313263311350362116?s=19

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

That entire mess is just depressing

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/nealbrennan/status/1313305767466856448

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Holy poo poo this dude is going for broke in the replies with the "Nuh-UH I'm not a pedophile it's for INTEL ONLY" defense lmfao

also

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

seth rogan is canadian

He did say assimilated

Gone

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Claudia Conway proves that 100% of reviewers who find it "inconceivable" that teen girls would lead revolutions in YA novels, leak information, spy, overthrow governments, etc are wrong and vastly underestimate a well-placed teen girl.

— Katherine Locke (@Bibliogato) October 5, 2020

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

It was someone saying that Claudia Conway is proof that all of the reviewers who pooh-pooh Young Adult novels as being unrealistic because teenage women could never be as subversive as their books portray them as, are actually quite wrong.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

But isn’t it calling that the first step toward falling prey to conspiracy theory? Like I don’t see why it would be dangerous to understand those things or to pay attention to them any more than anything else—unless I’m misunderstanding the chart.

The point is that some conspiracies have actually taken place in reality. Aka governments have done supremely hosed up things to their own people and attempted to keep it hidden from the public.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

You know this is real, actual lib poo poo because it includes Potterverse correlations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

There’s an area for fascism but Nazi Getmany isn’t in it and is instead across the chart in “communism”.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

My nose is bleeding.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 229 days!

gradenko_2000 posted:

It was someone saying that Claudia Conway is proof that all of the reviewers who pooh-pooh Young Adult novels as being unrealistic because teenage women could never be as subversive as their books portray them as, are actually quite wrong.

I wouldnt even call it that hot a take

like yeah, it isn't single handedly saving the world from a generically bad dictator but at that age books aimed at boys have them saving the world from evil with magic swords and such

so a privileged teenager using her power to expose her powerful parent's total bs? why not encourage that?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Hodgepodge posted:

I wouldnt even call it that hot a take

like yeah, it isn't single handedly saving the world from a generically bad dictator but at that age books aimed at boys have them saving the world from evil with magic swords and such

so a privileged teenager using her power to expose her powerful parent's total bs? why not encourage that?

I think it's more that Young Adult novels and the reviewers who review them have such value to this person that she went out of her way to make this analogy, as a defense of YA.

or to put it another way:

Claudia Conway Isn’t Your Hermione Granger

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

gradenko_2000 posted:

I think it's more that Young Adult novels and the reviewers who review them have such value to this person that she went out of her way to make this analogy, as a defense of YA.

or to put it another way:

Claudia Conway Isn’t Your Hermione Granger

I thought it was just a glib off-the-cuff observation.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

It’s a bunch of terminally online people egging a child on into destroying her family life because Drumph

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Right thread, but source your quotes.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Oh word

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
That's the posting champion you're talking to, so choose your words carefully

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

ngl I always thought the idea that some races were naturally less intelligent was some super treacherous territory

and if you don't want to play a tiny little kobold berserker than I don't even know what to say

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Unironically make all the races the same and leave it up to players and the DM to build characters in whatever way they think is appropriate.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
They already did this in 4e and it made pretty much exactly all the same people incredibly hopping mad

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

You know how liches have a phylactory that needs to be destroyed to kill them? That’s a term that Gary gygax coined himself for the original dnd

Now go look up what a phylactory actually is

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Ziv Zulander posted:

You know how liches have a phylactory that needs to be destroyed to kill them? That’s a term that Gary gygax coined himself for the original dnd

Now go look up what a phylactory actually is

welp

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Google’s results for that are problematic, but “phylactory” does not always mean “tefillah”.

It’s been used for things like, amulets, charms, safeguards, forts, vessels containing holy relics.

Which was Gygax thinking of when he chose it for a lich’s magical item? I don’t know. I’m not his biographer.

e: Whether or not Gygax was antisemitic, the writers of the relevant portion of third edition lore were.

https://twitter.com/briancortijo/status/994609925719515141

e2: Bringing it back to Gygax:

quote:

In the AD&D Monster Manual (1977), the lich was described as needing phylactery to maintain its state as a free-willed, thinking undead monster. At that point, the mention of the phylactery was just a bit flavor text, like that found in many of the Monster Manual entries. It is not clear which meaning of phylactery E. Gary Gygax had in mind, although he was extremely erudite and referenced all sorts of miscellaneous trivia in the AD&D game rules, so I suspect that he probably knew of the Jewish meaning. The accompanying artwork by David A. Trampier showed the monster wearing a crown, with a protruding block on the front that could be either a jewel or a tefillah.

https://scifi.stackexchange.com/questions/25154/what-is-the-origin-of-a-phylactery-as-a-soul-jar

The item in the illustration looks like a jewel to me, but this early purpose of the phylactery, not protecting the lich’s existence but enabling the operation of its mind, seems to be less in keeping with the alternative definitions of a phylactery.

Seems suspect.

Platystemon has issued a correction as of 09:33 on Oct 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
are the golems in d&d also considered antisemitic