Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

oh my god that is amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The virgin campion vs the chad flying snake son

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

General Battuta posted:

Like this show is a huge mess, but I can’t say it’s derivative of very much.

It's pretty much Prometheus x The Bible.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
People need to
1) recognize this wasn't written by Ridley Scott, or his failson
2) learn to be able to say they liked something without wrapping it in thousand qualifiers

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Xaintrailles posted:

Prometheus x space Epstein

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

mother in a sunhat holding a parasol, covered in milkblood is wonderful

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

General Battuta posted:

It's terrible, but insane. I mean it's absolutely crammed with :wtf: Mother needs blood so she plugs herself into a rapist wearing a Dark Souls NPC helmet but the rapist somehow reverses the flow and sucks out mother's milk which gives him super strength and a passing spaceship scans him and says "That's weird that guy has unusually high power levels" but then someone steals the android head from his backpack and throws it off a cliff so his head implodes!!!

I'd have liked the show a lot more if it had been crammed with scenes like that, instead of many scenes of characters listening to whispers that cause them to take sudden swerve actions for largely pointless story purposes. They had a good 4-5 episodes (maybe just barely 6 if I'm being really generous) of Moebius comic scenes to make a show out of and then padded the rest with people going crazy largely for the sake of having something to do.

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni
So how will the “electromagnetic interference” in the tropical zone work out, I wonder?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

GABA ghoul posted:

Someone please change the thread title to Raised by Eels/lampreys

LAMPREYSED BY WOLVES

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

I started checking out when the robot got horny, but I felt a little better after she realized she hosed up. Hopefully the writing gets better next season, as is custom for all HBO productions.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Anza Borrego posted:

So how will the “electromagnetic interference” in the tropical zone work out, I wonder?

There are people living in the tropics, and the snek civilization is keeping them hidden behind an EM screen.

It turns out this show is actually a reboot of Stargate.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Rinkles posted:

LAMPREYSED BY WOLVES

:five:

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

Anza Borrego posted:

The only way to follow the virgin birth of Satan from Robot Mary and Jokeseph would be that it is the wall around an anti-Garden of Eden.

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
I thought the EM interference was the atheist ark?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Rinkles posted:

LAMPREYSED BY WOLVES

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

Just binged the show and the thread and enjoyed it, I don't think I had as much time to process it as thoughtfully as some of y'all watching week to week. lol there is a serious love hate relationship going on in this thread. The only thing I have to add that I didn't see in the thread (I might've missed it) was at some point Mary/Sue reacts to something by saying "Jesus Christ" and I thought that was pretty funny.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Whose ark was that right at the end? It had crosses on it so I assumed it was another theist arc, out of the blue?

Also wtf was up with the people who attacked Markus then... put an eyeball in his mouth? And he vomited up android milk? Then his veins were all black and he was tripping balls but also got an extra 20 levels of power?

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni
1 Atheists, based on the landing party
2 Dark photon eyeball power up

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
It's apparently filmed in Somerset West, which is near Cape Town. Explains why some of the actors are South African (the Medic Robot had an extremely South African accent). Cool to see, I have a friend who works in the film industry there but she didn't work on this one.

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
Also the aloe forests which only occur in South Africa

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

redreader posted:

Then his veins were all black and he was tripping balls but also got an extra 20 levels of power?

Whatever is powering necromancers is some ultra advanced alien energy source and the necromancer milk blood contains that technology and can be used by humans (see Campion, Space Rapists, snake baby, Space Ragnar, etc.) My guess would be it's nanomachines using that alien energy source. Apparently, the lander is capable of detecting that energy source from a distance(similar to how you can use a geiger counter to detect radioactive materials from a distance) so that's where that power level stuff comes from.

Also, Mother seems to have some kind of grey goo nano replicator in her womb and that's how she was able to synthesize nutrients for the fetuses and make space snek cells from scratch with just a blueprint. Her nano technology is directly compatible with living tissue.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

GABA ghoul posted:

Whatever is powering necromancers is some ultra advanced alien energy source and the necromancer milk blood contains that technology and can be used by humans (see Campion, Space Rapists, snake baby, Space Ragnar, etc.) My guess would be it's nanomachines using that alien energy source. Apparently, the lander is capable of detecting that energy source from a distance(similar to how you can use a geiger counter to detect radioactive materials from a distance) so that's where that power level stuff comes from.

Also, Mother seems to have some kind of grey goo nano replicator in her womb and that's how she was able to synthesize nutrients for the fetuses and make space snek cells from scratch with just a blueprint. Her nano technology is directly compatible with living tissue.

This is a good post but I am going to humbly request that you guys stop saying "snek"

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

redreader posted:

It's apparently filmed in Somerset West, which is near Cape Town. Explains why some of the actors are South African (the Medic Robot had an extremely South African accent). Cool to see, I have a friend who works in the film industry there but she didn't work on this one.

Well I know South Africa has gotten popular over the few years due to the lower production costs and also lots of interesting shooting locations which are short drive from the main cities like Cape Town.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Hm ok, am I imagining this now or do i actually feel reminded of district 9s aesthetics a bit?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Cingulate posted:

Hm ok, am I imagining this now or do i actually feel reminded of district 9s aesthetics a bit?

You're imagining this now.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

D9 was grungy and nowhere near as clean as this show is shot.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Anza Borrego posted:

1 Atheists, based on the landing party
2 Dark photon eyeball power up

Did the landing party actually say they were Athiests? The symbol didn't look like the (what I assumed was an) Athiest graffiti tag. If anything it reminded me of eastern orthodoxy.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
They had the Atheist face tats.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Xaintrailles posted:

Prometheus already had a ton of biblical innuendo tho

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni

Anonymous Zebra posted:

They had the Atheist face tats.

Yeah, this is what I was basing my assumption on. The “pray with me” part also cinches it IMO

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Zachack posted:

Did the landing party actually say they were Athiests? The symbol didn't look like the (what I assumed was an) Athiest graffiti tag. If anything it reminded me of eastern orthodoxy.

They were clearly. If you look at all the flashback sequences they are dressed, armed and face tatted like Mary/Caleb in the the flashbacks.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Shaocaholica posted:

Prometheus already had a ton of biblical innuendo tho

Yeah prometheus already was “thing x bible”.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Prometheus is a Christmas movie :colbert:

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
when will exobiologists learn to stop trying to pet tentacles like puppies

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I rewatched Prometheus last night for the first time since 2012, and wow it's much better as a Raised by Wolves thematic cousin rather than an Alien prequel. The unknowability of the Engineers and their motives and the sly biblical references were more intriguing than frustrating. I wish it had gotten a real sequel rather than getting plugged back into the Alien franchise. But I guess that's kinda what we got here so I can't complain too much.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Yeah, Prometheus was a good movie and I hope it gets fully rehabilitated at some point. Most of the complaints about it were people seeing imaginary plot holes or wanted it to be something that it was not trying to be or spend half of the movie browsing on the phone and then complained how nothing made sense

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I need to watch it again. I liked it allright but I think I went in the first time with too much expectations about it being an Alien prequel.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

ex post facho posted:

when will exobiologists learn to stop trying to pet tentacles like puppies

Never. Like a space snake to milk, the exobiologist must pet all alien life forms. But also never check out alien corpses as those are icky.

veni veni veni posted:

I need to watch it again. I liked it allright but I think I went in the first time with too much expectations about it being an Alien prequel.

I know I took the piss too much before and joked around but please have lowered expectations when watching Prometheus. Smoking a bowl or drinking a few pints helps make it more enjoyable. I will say I really loved Micheal Fassbender in his role. He was a joy to watch the entire movie. Also Idris Elba could be fun in anything and he's enjoyable here.

DogsInSpace! fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Oct 6, 2020

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
A lot of stuff was off about prometheus, but it was still hugely enjoyable. Much like this show. Sure, a ton of stuff is dumb, but I’m not asking for perfection, I’m asking for entertainment. Which this delivers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Fassbot was great. In covenant too. Prometheus needed just a wee bit more runtime. And Covenant should have been what it was supposed to be when they planned it during prometheus.

I honestly want to see more engineers and poo poo than space snek and sol religion.