Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stopgap1
Jul 27, 2013
one of my good builds for a-wing was burst cannons , multi-lock missiles, quick lock missiles and the 200% lock-on time shield. I have recently added a acceleration booster. when it works it is Brutal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Xenomrph posted:

What the game really needs is the TIE Punisher.

When you absolutely, positively need a capital ship dead, accept no substitute.

Ages ago in ancient times of SA past, someone shopped Goatse onto every missile pod and now I can never unsee it.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Bad Munki posted:

I'm about half an inch from pulling the trigger (lol) on a VKB Gunfighter Mk.III, aka Modern Combat Edition, with the twist. Talk me out of it or reassure me, I'm scared. :ohdear:

Pedal rudder is better than twist rudder

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Spookydonut posted:

Pedal rudder is better than twist rudder

I believe you, but the thing is intended for use beyond SW: Squanders, and I'm trying to keep it under five hundred doll hairs, and the twist can just be locked out. My thought is that maybe around Christmas I'll grow the set, maybe with pedals, an extension, etc. Wish VKB had a throttle out. I've seen the designs circa 2017 or whenever it was and they looked great.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Fuzz posted:

Ages ago in ancient times of SA past, someone shopped Goatse onto every missile pod and now I can never unsee it.

lmao

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Currently trying to figure out how all these lava-charred skin TIE bombers can survive 6 or 7 straight seconds of laser fire as they beat off all over the mon cal cruiser.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Spookydonut posted:

Javes is flying a tie advanced in the prologue.

He doesn't need to dock to go to hyperspace. I don't remember if he has shields.

Also it 100% looks like a tie advanced

He has shields when you're trying to kill him in the tunnel chase part of the into.

Unrelated: kills from your unstable engine explosion are best kills.

Jejoma
Nov 5, 2008

Symetrique posted:

Are you playing alone or with friends/goons?

I'm playing with randos, but even falling back to AI practice, it seems an awful lot like your only chance of not getting demolished in 4 seconds as a U-Wing is if the enemy *chooses* not to go after you. I do way better even with the A-Wing, which blows my mind since they throw the whole thing about the U-Wing having the "strongest" hull at you in the tutorials. I feel like I have no recourse if someone comes after me. :downs:

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Bad Munki posted:

I'm about half an inch from pulling the trigger (lol) on a VKB Gunfighter Mk.III, aka Modern Combat Edition, with the twist. Talk me out of it or reassure me, I'm scared. :ohdear:

Buy the NXT instead, unless you're already playing other flight sims besides Squadrons.

Jejoma posted:

I'm playing with randos, but even falling back to AI practice, it seems an awful lot like your only chance of not getting demolished in 4 seconds as a U-Wing is if the enemy *chooses* not to go after you. I do way better even with the A-Wing, which blows my mind since they throw the whole thing about the U-Wing having the "strongest" hull at you in the tutorials. I feel like I have no recourse if someone comes after me. :downs:

Yeah playing with randos and AI isnt gonna work out when you cant really communicate with either of them. The strength of the support ships comes into play when you're actively communicating with people who can protect you.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Symetrique posted:

Buy the NXT instead, unless you're already playing other flight sims besides Squadrons.

I looked at it but I just don’t like the kosmosima grip. I assume you’re recommending this because of the extra controls/throttle?

e: Granted, it’s relatively cheap af.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Spookydonut posted:

He doesn't need to dock to go to hyperspace. I don't remember if he has shields.

I think he’s flying a TIE Advanced v1. I flew it a lot in the x-wing minis game.

I was gonna link the wookiepedia pic but someone already updated it: https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/TIE_Advanced_v1

quote:

After the Battle of Yavin, Lindon Javes flew one as the flight lead of Helix Squadron. During the Battle at Fostar Haven, he used the ion torpedoes to disable his wingmates in order to save a convoy of refugees from Alderaan. He then defected to the rebellion when Echo Squadron arrived.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Bad Munki posted:

I looked at it but I just don’t like the kosmosima grip. I assume you’re recommending this because of the extra controls/throttle?

Price, mostly.

Also the charge blasters own:

https://i.imgur.com/kbx2HJi.mp4

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Any fix for the game wiping your save data?

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Bad Munki posted:

What throttle are you pairing it with?

edit:
Do you have larger hands or smaller hands? The MCG is known for being fuckin' huge because it's modeled after a real Russian Su-35/PAK FA stick, and military pilots have way bigger hands than the general populace and wear gloves when they fly. I wear medium/large sized gloves, and I have to break my grip to hit stuff on the MCG. I can comfortably hit every button on a Kosmosima from resting position.

Here's an MCG next to a Thrustmaster Warthog grip and a left-handed Kosmosima (not my pic)

plester1 fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Oct 6, 2020

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Chemmy posted:

I think he’s flying a TIE Advanced v1. I flew it a lot in the x-wing minis game.

I was gonna link the wookiepedia pic but someone already updated it: https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/TIE_Advanced_v1

Yes its the TIE Advanced v1.

Vomitorium
Oct 2, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
ok, with Steam I just finished the first missions and its all peachy in VR. Got my joystick working and VR working and its all good and having a blast. Thanks for the tips.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Lemming posted:

Any fix for the game wiping your save data?

Someone mentioned a fix up-thread involving win10 file permissions, but I don't have a link handy.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Does anyone know who the VO was for Captain Amos? It sounds super familiar but I can't place it.

edit: I'm also at loss as to what I should use the rocker on the throttle of my Thrustmaster T Flight HOTAS X. Recommendations?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Corbeau posted:

Someone mentioned a fix up-thread involving win10 file permissions, but I don't have a link handy.

I messed around with that but I think I had the thingy already disabled, thanks tho

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

Kazy posted:

Does anyone know who the VO was for Captain Amos? It sounds super familiar but I can't place it.

edit: I'm also at loss as to what I should use the rocker on the throttle of my Thrustmaster T Flight HOTAS X. Recommendations?

I use the rocker for targeting.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Was in a private discord with another goon playing for hours tonight. Realized at the very end that I was on blast the whole time in game and having personal conversations. Despite having every single chat option turned off. Good poo poo, game.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

veni veni veni posted:

Was in a private discord with another goon playing for hours tonight. Realized at the very end that I was on blast the whole time in game and having personal conversations. Despite having every single chat option turned off. Good poo poo, game.

Reasons to have a hard switch on your mike: this

A further matchmaking observation: I find I lose nearly every time if I set my team to "prefer random" in dogfighting mode. Conversely I mostly win if I switch the slider to "New Republic" OR "Imperial".

Hypothesis: If you choose a random side, you're more likely to be a team of 5 pugs put up against a group who have put more effort into optimizing their builds for their preferred playstyle.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
I haven't even managed to figure out the emergency power thing for the Imps and I'm pulling in poo poo like this in losing fleet battles.

This game is great. I never usually even manage 1:1 for k:d and I'm at nearly 2:1, to say nothing of all my assists.

This was on a team where my squadmates didn't understand you need to switch ships on defense so I was the only one in not-a-TIE-bomber-or-Reaper. To be fair to our Reaper pilot, they were very good at keeping us supplied but it didn't matter when I was the only one able to play defense against the Y-Wings.

We still came really close to winning, the MC75 was down to ~20% hull and I used a TIE Bomber to take out a bunch of systems but the Rebels managed to flip things back to attack and that was that.

Eej posted:

TIE Defenders don't belong in a multiplayer space sim unless you chop them up to be unrecognizable. B-wing breaks faction symmetry which if you're going with that then you can throw in the TIE Advanced with better stats than an A-Wing with the durability of an X-Wing and things get stupid

Radical idea: if they do end up with more content I'd be fine with unbalanced factions. Give the Rebels the B-Wing and make them very good at blowing up big ships and give the Imps the TIE Advanced/Defender and they're much better at space superiority. It fits with how the factions operate too, up until Endor the Rebels would need to do hit and run attacks so they needed to pack a lot of firepower where most TIEs were responsible for keeping superiority.

No idea if there'll ever be more content though.

axeil fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Oct 6, 2020

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.
It's terribly funny how many people are already either declaring the game DoA or insisting that it's going to have two hundred dollars worth of DLC.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Corbeau posted:

Kesper North posted:

loving Windows 10 Controlled Folder Access! Fortunately the fix is super easy:

Start -> Windows Security -> Virus & Threat Protection
Scroll down to Ransomware Protection, click on Manage Ransomware Protection
Then click on Allow an app through Controlled folder access
Click 'Yes' at the security prompt
Click the + to Add an allowed app
Click on "Recently blocked apps"
Click on + starwarssquadrons.exe

Credit to this dude:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QDi5yMKGm4

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Spookydonut posted:

It's the bad TIE advanced model though, and not the cool one with the pointy wings.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Bad Munki posted:

I have the Gunfighter II with the MCG PRO and an extension. It's a superb stick and you'll be very happy.

That said, I have fairly long digits, and I still find myself stretching my thumb around to reach some of the buttons and such. That's fine when I'm flying some DCS World jet or helicopter where I handle the stick in a more deliberate manner, but I do wish the grip were smaller and everything easier to reach when I play Squadrons and am flinging the stick around in dogfights.

Because of that, I just ordered the Kosmosima grip, as reviews said that it's designed to make everything easier to reach, whereas the Modern Combat grip is basically a copy of the bigass grip that's in the SU-27 or some poo poo, and it's not necessarily ideal for a barehanded person twitching their thumb around like a madman. It's a very bulky grip.

You'll be happy with any VKB product you get, as they make superb controllers, but I'd suggest considering the Kosmosima grip unless you have huge hands. I won't receive the Kosmosima for another week or so, so I do not have a firsthand impression of it, but I do find the design of it appealing.

Anyway, if you want me to, like, measure my hands and take a video of me handling the grip, shoot me a PM. My wife will look at me like I'm weird, but that's okay.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Bad Munki posted:

Get it. I’ve got one and it owns.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Got the skill rating 0 bug on the cusp of Maverick III :negative: I don't wanna finish the story instead I wanna grind ranked :argh:

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

sebmojo posted:

how to fix the windows10 not saving story progress issue

You don't even need to restart the game, btw. Just do it and the game will save properly from then on.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Kesper North posted:

Reasons to have a hard switch on your mike: this

A further matchmaking observation: I find I lose nearly every time if I set my team to "prefer random" in dogfighting mode. Conversely I mostly win if I switch the slider to "New Republic" OR "Imperial".

Hypothesis: If you choose a random side, you're more likely to be a team of 5 pugs put up against a group who have put more effort into optimizing their builds for their preferred playstyle.

Wroooooongggg

A hard switch on your mic wont help programs that ignore your request to disable input entirely, WHILE YOU ARE INTENTIONALLY TALKING

A bug which I've seen replicated not only on my own game , but my friends

Thank God all we talk about is mocking certain people in the squad for wearing the wrong uniforms.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
Why do modern games never tell you your drat ping anymore? Is it some user retention thing? Do they think notifying players that their connection is poo poo will put them off the game?

As someone in Australia, a country with the triple trifecta of geographical distance, poo poo internet infastructure and small population, it'd be really nice to diagnose whether some of the issues I have are connection related or not. Some games the TTK is really short and I get 10+ kills. Others I will wail on enemies for a long time with overcharged lasers and their health will barely even blip, only for me to die without warning from surprise sudden fire.

It does a ok job of hiding the lag - ships don't bounce around but they don't appear to take much damage. I realised I was super lagging when I hit a asteroid, recovered, then the server decided to rubber band my collision to another point on the asteroid.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

plester1 posted:

edit:
Do you have larger hands or smaller hands? The MCG is known for being fuckin' huge because it's modeled after a real Russian Su-35/PAK FA stick, and military pilots have way bigger hands than the general populace and wear gloves when they fly. I wear medium/large sized gloves, and I have to break my grip to hit stuff on the MCG. I can comfortably hit every button on a Kosmosima from resting position.

Here's an MCG next to a Thrustmaster Warthog grip and a left-handed Kosmosima (not my pic)

I had never even heard of this company and you motherfuckers show up in here and make me all :awesome:, and I have giant basketball palming hands and often find the close in buttons on regular joysticks too close to easily press with my hand and now I'm sitting here looking at getting to get a throttle and pedals and this huge fucker and goddammit. :arghfist::awesomelon:

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Oct 6, 2020

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Isometric Bacon posted:

Why do modern games never tell you your drat ping anymore? Is it some user retention thing? Do they think notifying players that their connection is poo poo will put them off the game?

As someone in Australia, a country with the triple trifecta of geographical distance, poo poo internet infastructure and small population, it'd be really nice to diagnose whether some of the issues I have are connection related or not. Some games the TTK is really short and I get 10+ kills. Others I will wail on enemies for a long time with overcharged lasers and their health will barely even blip, only for me to die without warning from surprise sudden fire.

It does a ok job of hiding the lag - ships don't bounce around but they don't appear to take much damage. I realised I was super lagging when I hit a asteroid, recovered, then the server decided to rubber band my collision to another point on the asteroid.

yeah, I just experienced this. generally the games are good, but maybe one in ten is some kind of weird hell where there's no visible lag - until I start firing on an enemy and I'll do zero damage whatsoever.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Mines are so good in an Awing. For now at least while all the pubbies are just lazily chase you in circles in tight areas. I can't believe you get like 5? per supply. And when you need to bug out, just cruise around a tight corner and drop one which will mess up an interceptor's day.

Plus boosting past a TIE going for a resupply and replacing it with a mine never gets old.

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

The king of the sand castle

Isometric Bacon posted:

I'm euro and this has been happening to me too, at first I thought it was something to do with some people having mega shield mods I didn't know about, but when I look at the HUD numbers they don't change at all sometimes. I've also been lagging enough for ships to bounce around, in the same match as the no-damage issue earlier I kept being teleported ~20 metres from my position, which really sucks when there's an obstacle... ~20 metres from your position.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

plester1 posted:

edit:

jeez, the warthog is just the right size for my small dumb hands, that looks INSANE

Incidentally, how do y'all bind your warthog? Here's my current setup:

I'm gonna be a loving idiot and try to bind everything eventually. Maybe I'll bind all the target wheel options to the toggle switches. I want to truly feel like I'm just going wild on stuff in the cockpit.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

plester1 posted:

edit:

Shine posted:

I have the Gunfighter II with the MCG PRO and an extension. It's a superb stick and you'll be very happy.

That said, I have fairly long digits, and I still find myself stretching my thumb around to reach some of the buttons and such. That's fine when I'm flying some DCS World jet or helicopter where I handle the stick in a more deliberate manner, but I do wish the grip were smaller and everything easier to reach when I play Squadrons and am flinging the stick around in dogfights.

Because of that, I just ordered the Kosmosima grip, as reviews said that it's designed to make everything easier to reach, whereas the Modern Combat grip is basically a copy of the bigass grip that's in the SU-27 or some poo poo, and it's not necessarily ideal for a barehanded person twitching their thumb around like a madman. It's a very bulky grip.

You'll be happy with any VKB product you get, as they make superb controllers, but I'd suggest considering the Kosmosima grip unless you have huge hands. I won't receive the Kosmosima for another week or so, so I do not have a firsthand impression of it, but I do find the design of it appealing.

Anyway, if you want me to, like, measure my hands and take a video of me handling the grip, shoot me a PM. My wife will look at me like I'm weird, but that's okay.

Thanks a bunch for all of this, this is good info. I definitely have hands on the smaller side so I kind of feel like not ordering last night before waiting for feedback means I dodged a bullet. Anyhow, my hand is just under 7" from the tip of my middle finger to the base of my palm, and my span is just over 7" from finger tip to finger tip. Palm is like 3 1/4". I imagine I definitely would have been suffering the "kid wearing dad's shoes" syndrome if I'd gone ahead with that grip. And this also gives me some baseline for comparing other grips as well. I'll keep shopping around. But the NXT may win out in the end after all with the smaller stick even if I'm not as crazy about the kosmo simply because $150 is pretty drat easy to stomach, and the grip can be moved to their other hardware later if I decide to dive in deeper.

Fuzz posted:

I had never even heard of this company and you motherfuckers show up in here and make me all :awesome:, and I have giant basketball poisoning hands and often find the close in buttons on regular joysticks too close to easily press with my hand and now I'm sitting here looking at getting to get a throttle and pedals and this huge fucker and goddammit. :arghfist::awesomelon:
Good luck buddy, it's a deep hole. Also check out Virpil, they have (imo) a better selection of controls, but it's also generally all on back order and you just order it and wait for it to come in. This is apparently the opposite of how it was a year ago, where Virpil were the ones actively shipping and VKB was always out of stock.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Oct 6, 2020

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
KBM folks, what do you have your sensitivity set at? I finally picked the game up last night and futzed around in the prologue trying to find a setting that felt comfortable and kind of veered between "this is uncontrollably sensitive" to "it feels like agony to actually turn the fighter" wildly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Starting to get really loving sick of playing empire. Six games of fleet battles, empire every time. How the gently caress are you meant to get onto the Nr team?