Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Now the project to solve water problems in the American west would be to work with Canada to make the North American Water and Power Alliance happen.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_Water_and_Power_Alliance

Basically diverting several Colorado Rivers worth of water from BC into the US, possibly using nuclear explosions, because the 50s were a hell of a drug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I know I'm not alone when it comes to doing as little on their lawn as physically possible, so it has to be the people who water it daily blowing out the numbers for everyone else.

I freak out when my water bill is over $50, I can't imagine paying to water a perfect lawn. Just... why...

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Xeriscaping FTW

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
So is mowing leaves with a gas mower good or bad, vs bagging them and sending them to the landfill? Asking for a friend.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
My boss just decided to use the last of our "office technology fund" to "upgrade" everyone in our office from Desktops to Microsoft Surfaces because she was upset that too many people were calling into Zoom meetings and not showing their face.

That means no new monitors, PCs, desk chairs, keyboards, mice, printers, or copiers for at least three years.

Typing on the weird attachable surface keyboards and touch screen is 10x slower than using word on a desktop.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Mercury Ballistic posted:

So is mowing leaves with a gas mower good or bad, vs bagging them and sending them to the landfill? Asking for a friend.

No green waste pickup in your area?

Best option if not is a composter just alternate brown (leaves) and green (grass) and stir it up occasionally for freeeeeee compost!

Bonus you can chuck kitchen scraps in there too

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

My boss just decided to use the last of our "office technology fund" to "upgrade" everyone in our office from Desktops to Microsoft Surfaces because she was upset that too many people were calling into Zoom meetings and not showing their face.

That means no new monitors, PCs, desk chairs, keyboards, mice, printers, or copiers for at least three years.

Typing on the weird attachable surface keyboards and touch screen is 10x slower than using word on a desktop.

I'm assuming your'e WFH?

Just plug that poo poo into a normal keyboard. I've got some flavor of surface for my work computer, and I cobbled together a DIY KVM setup with a DVI cable splitter and a toggleable USB hub. I press two buttons and I go from my keyboard/ mouse/ monitor / etc getting their feeds from my nice desktop to the work computer.

Once you're all back at the office there are docks etc. that your office should buy you so that you're not stuck using those lovely surface keyboards and the touch screen. At that point as far as word etc goes it's basically just a desktop with added mobile functionality if you kick it out of the dock.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Cyrano4747 posted:

I'm assuming your'e WFH?

Only part-time. We have to bring the surface into the office and back home.

It's very annoying to use, but the reasoning of "too many people were in Zoom meetings without video turned on" is a really dumb reason to give up the money for all other tech upgrades for three years.

99% of the time, there is nothing added by having 50 additional faces staring ahead while two people speak.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Only part-time. We have to bring the surface into the office and back home.

It's very annoying to use, but the reasoning of "too many people were in Zoom meetings without video turned on" is a really dumb reason to give up the money for all other tech upgrades for three years.

Yeah that's idiotic. I'm immensely thankful that all my various office meetings (we're on Skype, not Zoom) are audio only. The only time a screen gets involved is when someone needs to present something.

I accidentally sent my boss a video call a few months back and got to see a normally very buttoned down professional lounging on his couch in a ratty sweatshirt and like ten days of stubble, so that was fun at least. Nice to know that he's on the same "gently caress this I want to be comfortable" page that I am.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Do the surfaces uh, enforce video calling somehow?

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

BMan posted:

That's what post it notes are for

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

BMan posted:

"Too many" people were calling in from phones or their desktop PCs that do not have a webcam.

Issuing a Surface to everyone means that nobody has an excuse to not be on video during meetings. She wants everyone on video during all meetings. I legitimately don't know why other than some vague feeling that people are not participating if you can't see them.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

So are there programs that play a pre-recorded loop video and show up to Zoom as a webcam device?

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

As long as nobody moves their purse.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Love a good reference to "The Bus That Couldn't Slow Down"

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Dip Viscous posted:

So are there programs that play a pre-recorded loop video and show up to Zoom as a webcam device?

you can just cover your webcam and use your recording as a zoom background

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
Wait, what counts as a “lawn?” I have a small yard. It has grass. I don’t water it, that poo poo magically falls from the sky you know?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

If you bag them they end up at some county compost pile which can then be resolved as fertilizer. Or, you can just mow over them and let the little leaf chunks be fertilizer for you. Bagging only makes sense if you need your lawn to be free of anything but the green expense expanse.

It's nice not having to mow a lawn now that I'm in an apartment.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
I mowed them over before I got a decent blower. My understanding is it's better for the lawn to mulch them in... free fertilizer, basically. Takes a few passes but it'll get the job done.

Just don't leave them whole over winter. Either mulch them or get rid of them.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Volmarias posted:

It's nice not having to mow a lawn now that I'm in an apartment.

This as well as shoveling snow. gently caress shoveling snow.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Nocheez posted:

I freak out when my water bill is over $50, I can't imagine paying to water a perfect lawn. Just... why...

Ugh, my water bill is usually around $115 (approx 4500 gallons). My actual water bill is only about $45. The rest is wastewater charges that go towards updating the sewer system. This is in Kansas City, btw.

On the other hand, I don't have an internet bill because I got Google Fiber just as they were starting and paid a $300 installation fee with seven years free internet. It runs out in December though.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Grass clippings and leaves make a simple compost, so I always mulch the first few spreads of leaves into the lawn with the mower. If it's a huge layer of leaves I'll bag them up and toss them on the compost heap instead.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

quote:

Forget the Inheritance, Forget Being Frugal

You should plan exactly how much you’ll need to live the life you want, earn that much, then quit pursuing wealth. And then plan on spending all the way down to zero- not leaving an inheritance.

Supposedly inherited wealth is the most squandered. Leave it to a non-profit, they squander it.

So you earned, YOU should spend it!

And basically being frugal is good until you hit your number, but then once you’re set, ok it’s time to leave being frugal behind. It’s a means to an end, not an end in itself.

I guess I’m posting on here because this has been turning around in my head for a couple months. It’s so contrarian to most conventional thinking in the personal finance world- or maybe just the world in general (having “enough money??!!”)

It somewhat resonated with me as a frugal person. Like, oh yeah- I shouldn’t be like the university library employee who has to be convinced to buy new shoes by coworkers because his are so worn, then when he dies he leaves 3m to the university, who uses the money to reseal the asphalt on campus or something haha.

quote:

quote:

Cool. Just figure out exactly when you will die, the rate of inflation and interest rates, factor in any unforeseen medical expenses and then be a billionaire because you are psychic.

My daughter is inheriting financial literacy and a healthy well-nourished body. I'm not saving or working any longer than I need to. Nobody (except god) knows the exact date, but you can figure out a rough estimate.

quote:

quote:

My goal is to never be a burden on my children. When I was a child my parents gave up a lot of autonomy to take care of my grandparents when my grandpa had a stroke. I want to be wealthy enough to have myself dignity if I have major health problems in the figure like my grandpa did. I also love the idea of starting generational wealth in my family tree. I think building wealth is just a wise thing to do.

I took care of them for 18+ years. Doesn't seem crazy that they should take care of me for a few. Is working another 15 years worth giving your kids some extra free time in their 30's or 40's?

quote:

I've made $2,200 from stocks. Do I have to declare it?

I'm a college student who needs the money. I usually work for tips and do not declare them to get the extra money. If I don't declare the stocks, then will they ever know? The online trader sent me a 1099, but I'm not planning on sending it to the IRS. I also need to keep income low for FAFSA.

quote:

Can you get an auto loan for a bus?

Interest rates on an RV loan are too high. Id be buying a normal school bus, then converting it to a living space.

quote:

How can I pay off a 5.5k debt? I am 20 years old.... Breakdown on costs and possible income in desc.

I owe my mother 1.7k (which I have to prioritize and if I don't shes threatening to sue me.... lol), university (about 1k and change), OSAP (maybe 1.7k?) and visa (1.5k) that totals close to 6k. I do not currently work but when/if I do get a full time job... How should I best approach this situation? I am no longer spending money I don't have so the debt only increases through interest. Thankfully OSAP has given me a repayment assistance plan so I don't need to pay them until February. I'm finding it really hard to keep a job but at this point in my life I don't have any other choice right now. I'm just really overwhelmed and I am not entirely sure how to divide my money once I get a job.

Ideally I'd be working full time (40 hours a week) and I'd make perhaps 11.30 per hour. How should I split my income? (hypothetically) and I do not currently pay rent but I have no idea what that status will be in 2016.

My other costs include; food, feeding two ferrets, cigarettes, and alcohol (just being honest.. D:)

So advice?

quote:

How much do you spend on smoking, food, alcohol, and the ferrets? Probably room to cut down there.

quote:

Well when I did work, Id spend about $60 a week on groceries and maybe $40 biweekly for bus fare. Those would virtually be my only expenses besides new work clothes, shoes, odds and ends from deodorant to shampoo. That's basically all I need (if I quit smoking). I dont pay rent, I live with my dad.

quote:

quote:

If you only spend $160 every two weeks, then how did you get all the debt?

I stated above. Half is school. The other half is random things. The $1.7k I owe my mom is for a ferret loan to purchase supplies and go to the vet. The visa is mostly just food, alcohol, gas, ciggies, and random purchases.

quote:

I (26F) need to break up with my boyfriend (26M) that wants kids but I feel stuck and nowhere to go

My (26F) boyfriend (26M) are coming up on 3 years dating. We’ve been friends for 5. Him and I have been through so much together which I won’t get into unless absolutely necessary. We are very compatible in most ways but, like any relationship, there’s somethings we just can’t seem to get passed. TLDR at the end.

quote:

Basically, he’s an addict and wants kids. I am not an addict and absolutely do not want kids. His addictions have gotten in between our relationship a lot recently. We usually are able to work through it, but 2020 has been really hard (as I’m sure it has been for a lot of people). But, since his addictions have been getting worse with 2020 he’s been saying some nasty things about my child free stance.

It’s VERY obvious he wants kids and he thinks I will change my mind. I’m not changing my mind. I am 100% sure on my choice and looking to get sterilized. when I told him I was looking to get sterilized his response was “You’re so young. What if you change your mind?” After knowing me for 5 years HE STILL DOESNT EVEN BEGIN TO UNDERSTAND.

quote:

I’ve been thinking we need to break up for a while now, but he kept convincing me we can work through this. After last nights drunken escapade of nasty words exchanged betwixt us it’s clear him and I are not meant for each other. But I SUCK at breaking up.

quote:

My mom lives out of state in a tiny apartment with no room for me. My dad isn’t in the picture. No grandparents or other family. My best friend lives out of state in Florida and says I am always welcome to come stay with her. I would love to be closer to my best friend, but I hate the heat and am not a huge fan of Florida. Not to mention moving out of state is incredibly stressful and finding a job in 2020 seems next to impossible. My current job is with local government (municipality) so I get paid better than any other job I’ve had, have great benefits yadda yadda yadda.

quote:

Ive been trying to look for municipal jobs in her area in Florida but it’s not looking good. Despite all that, I don’t get paid enough to live on my own..... renting a studio in the surrounding cities of my job I’m looking at minimum $1,300 which is over half of my income after taxes. I would go into debt so fast living on my own. I would gladly give up the benefits and take a pay cut to find somewhere to live with the ferrets that won't cost too much.

quote:

I reaaaallllllyyyyy don’t want random roommates. All of my local friends live over an hour away from work and dont exactly have good living situations for me to crash at their place or live with them. Especially since I would be taking two ferrets with me and finding people who allow and love ferrets is next to impossible.

I really don’t want to relinquish my ferrets and don’t trust my bf to take them. I understand that’s a possible reality but I would like to exhaust all other options before I ever think about it.

quote:

I know it could absolutely be WAY WAY worse. I am grateful I still have a job and a roof over my head, but this relationship is really wearing on both of us. I will stay with him for the ferrets, but it shouldn't be a long term solution.

quote:

TLDR: my boyfriend and I have outgrown this relationship. The only thing stopping me from breaking up with him is I can’t afford to live on my own despite having a steady job. living with friends/family is not an option unless I live with my best friend out of state and find a new job with benefits (which could prove very tricky in 2020), and living with random roommates would require me to get rid of my ferrets and sacrifice my happiness.

quote:

Requesting Loan

Hi guys! Requesting 250 to carry us over until pay day which is on the 9th! I need to grab groceries, and animal food. (As per my last post, we have 5 dogs, 2 cats, 2 ferrets, and the family is 2 adults and 1 1/2 kids.)

Aside from that, the reason I need the loan is because I, who is regularly an adjunct professor at 2 colleges here, didn't get to pick up any classes this semester because of Covid. My side job as a baker is also closed down, as my boss/the owner is a rancher so she's just been doing that and closed down the shop.

My husband is the sole provider at the moment, and financial struggle has been happening since our 2 cars got totaled a few months ago. So here I am, yet again, asking for a little help until pay day. Also if anyone here is remotely hiring someone with a Master's Degree in English, let me know!

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

the family is 2 adults and 1 1/2 kids

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Solomon as divorce court judge?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Boards With Messages: I will stay with him for the ferrets

probably better for r/relationships

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Cyrano4747 posted:

Solomon as divorce court judge?

I've seen people do the "1/2" thing when they have a baby on the way.

Either that or they mean a stepkid.

The first one is just annoying, the second kind of dick-ish to the kid, but what do I know, these people are obviously hosed anyway.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Forget the Inheritance, Forget Being Frugal

Am I the BWM because I kinda agree with this?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Ixian posted:

I've seen people do the "1/2" thing when they have a baby on the way.

Either that or they mean a stepkid.

The first one is just annoying, the second kind of dick-ish to the kid, but what do I know, these people are obviously hosed anyway.

I've heard 1/2 used for infants or baby on the way fairly frequently.

I have never heard anyone refer to a stepkid that way. Harsh.

HardDiskD posted:

As a general concept of not necessarily being obligated to try and provide generational wealth? That's fine.

Guessing how much money you will need and then retiring immediately at the point is pretty BWM. You have no idea how long you'll live, what inflation looks like, what your expenses will look like, and if you have an emergency or underestimate your costs, then you are boned.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Oct 6, 2020

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I posted this in the relationships thread but y'all will also appreciate it.

AITA for telling my wife that I’m not giving up my therapy sport and she should stop shopping or get a job?

quote:

I admit it, my wife and I screwed up.

When I was first hired by my advertising firm, I assumed that I would make more each year than I ended up making.

I’m currently an executive but bonuses are not what they used to be nor are salaries.

My wife said that we needed to keep up the lifestyle to make it in the corporate world so she would spend a lot of money buying me the best suits and her the best clothes.

We live near Madison Avenue and she’s there almost every single day.

When bonuses fell even more and they started cutting salaries we started taking money from my then 7 year old son’s college fund.

Our son is now 14 almost 15 and what seemed like little expenses here and there have added up. We were in denial.

Now the state of his college fund is such that he would be tens of thousands short for state schools who would give him good scholarships, and he can’t attend the higher ranked schools that he wants to attend at all.

My wife and I are mad at each other over how this depletion happened.

She came home from shopping very late yesterday and this started a fight. I ask her why she had so many bags. I opened one of the bags and saw what looked like the same type of shirt in about six colors. I also saw two pants that looked and felt exactly the same, and I suspect she circled back to the habit of buying two pairs of the same thing again.

She then started asking how much my polo horses and equipment upkeep cost. I happened to have played polo since I was 12. It was my outlet and therapy for not getting along with my parents or friends. It still is my therapy activity.

You cannot get a suitable horse for less than $20,000 but these horses are an investment. And for the $5,000+ per month during the season when I’m actively playing, my wife spends more than that cumulatively over the year.

My wife told me to sell my thoroughbreds and just rent ponies for occasional recreational play. I told her that I was not going to do that and that if she wanted to refill the college fund, she could stop going shopping and we could just sell her clothes. And that she could get a job along the way.

AITA? One of us is just spending money for the heck of it while I actually spend money to invest in my mental well being.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Horses. Everything comes back to horses.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Moneyball posted:

Horses. Everything comes back to horses.

Hah yeah. Reading that I was mentally going "huh, yeah, he's probably right that his wife need to quit going to Madison Ave and buying multiples of the same pants, I'm sure his tennis can't be that mu. . . .

. . . . oh. Polo."

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I love it when one person sees themselves spending money on stuff they like as helping their mental well being while their significant other spending money on what they like is a waste and they should do without. Really tells you about their level of compassion.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

SpartanIvy posted:

I love it when one person sees themselves spending money on stuff they like as helping their mental well being while their significant other spending money on what they like is a waste and they should do without. Really tells you about their level of compassion.

I mean, I get sports and other hobbies as a way of mental self-care. We would have to basically be down to selling the furniture before I'd tell my wife not to buy running shoes. Exercise in particular is good for mental well-being, so when someone describes a sport as their therapy I'm not going to dismiss it. In a vacuum I can see "I use this sport to de-stress" having more weight than someone who just buys poo poo to do the same.

But, gently caress me, there are limits. Some hobbies, enjoyable as they may be, are expensive as gently caress and if you can't afford it you need to find something else to get interested in and use to blow off stress.

Dude needs to ditch the horses and take up rec league soccer or something.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
i mean the wife should 100% get a job and stop spending so much money but he should maybe find a new hobby sport that is less expensive like sailing or golf

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Cyrano4747 posted:

I mean, I get sports and other hobbies as a way of mental self-care. We would have to basically be down to selling the furniture before I'd tell my wife not to buy running shoes. Exercise in particular is good for mental well-being, so when someone describes a sport as their therapy I'm not going to dismiss it.

But, gently caress me, there are limits. Some hobbies, enjoyable as they may be, are expensive as gently caress and if you can't afford it you need to find something else to get interested in and use to blow off stress.

Dude needs to ditch the horses and take up rec league soccer or something.

I'm not disagreeing with the idea, I certainly have my capitalist vices as well, but it didn't seem to cross this guy's mind that maybe his wife's purchasing habits also contribute to her mental health as well.

E: and yeah she needs a job if they're literally stealing from child's future to make ends neat.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

She needs to get off her high horse and get a job.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

HardDiskD posted:

"I am depending on guilt tripping those ungrateful brats into putting me into a good retirement home" doesn't sound like a great retirement strategy.

quote:

I took care of them for 18+ years. Doesn't seem crazy that they should take care of me for a few. Is working another 15 years worth giving your kids some extra free time in their 30's or 40's?

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

HardDiskD posted:

Yes, but only because it's literally impossible to guess at any of the necessary numbers to make that call.

But also why would you intentionally spend all your money, unless necessary, in order to cut your kids out of an inheritance? At least, that's what OP is implying, that you should deny your kids that money just because they'll squander it, which really just means that you're a lovely parent who can't teach them how to manage money.

Also somehow non-profits squander money too? Like, helping others is clearly a waste of money when you could be buying hookers and blow for yourself.

OP takes a highly materialistic view of wealth in that money is to be used for your own personal enjoyment, not to help others. gently caress helping your kids pay off their mortgage after you kick it, or topping off your grandchildren's college fund, I want to drive a benz in my golden years.

But all that said, you're right in that you have no duty to provide money to others after you're gone. But that's ignoring the purpose of saving for retirement and wealth building. The point is to make sure you're happy and comfortable, no matter what happens, after you've stopped generating income. If all goes to plan, then worst case you die with no money, but also no debt. Best case you're able to enjoy retirement and still have money left over to give away once you're gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Cyrano4747 posted:

. . . . oh. Polo."

If his ponies are that good he could sell one, wife could do less shopping, and they should make up a lot of the shortfall.

If his ponies aren't great, take up an equestrian discipline that you only need one horse for and sell the rest.