Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Spooky Halloween Outfit Ideas
This poll is closed.
The guy from Hades 37 7.76%
The priest from Faith 22 4.61%
A Corpse from Microsoft's Graveyard 27 5.66%
The Ouya 62 13.00%
Google Stadia (scariest option) 73 15.30%
Mr. Mosquito 31 6.50%
Did someone say Bowsette? BECAUSE I AM PRETTY SURE I HEARD SOMEONE SAY BOWSETTE 122 25.58%
Wario (nude) 62 13.00%
Wario (formal) 33 6.92%
Captain N 8 1.68%
Total: 304 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Kirbyette

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Help Im Alive posted:

I think it might be a joke

that's my default assumption whenever something like this pops up. i ain't gettin duped no more!

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Help Im Alive posted:

I think it might be a joke

Maybe, but there's enough crazy people in the world that it might be real

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Infinitum posted:

Maybe, but there's enough crazy people in the world that it might be real

& how do you know that's real? :smugbert:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

My lawyer says I don't need to answer these questions.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Because, Doctor, I am James Bouhuys!

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

FirstAidKite posted:

I'm thinking of getting a new avatar. I have an idea but I need to resize it. What are the avatar limits for file size and dimensions?

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Is Lowtax completely severed from the site yet

There's a thread in QCS if you want to get a new avatar or account features for free, because there are a ton of generous goons a donation to RAINN instead of paying Lowtax.

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

exquisite tea posted:

Has anyone been watching Mythic Quest on whatever streaming channel it's on. Is it funny.

I've watched it, and thought it was good! Even their quarantine episode was better than any quarantine episode should be.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Vermain posted:

DS1's success came off the back of it being decidedly novel for the time it was released. It's not like action RPGs hadn't been done before, but very few of them were as punishing when it came to failure. Having to struggle to complete a game sticks in peoples' minds a lot more than a game they can simply breeze through without thinking. I think the design of the first half is still remarkably good, but the overall gamefeel of DS1 is pretty atrocious in the modern era, and it's hard to outright recommend it to someone.

i could not disagree more i think the "gamefeel" of ds1 is unbelievably good and it's a big part of why i just keep playing it over and over again and haven't been able to get into any other 3rd person action games for months. i can't find anything else that combines such satisfying character control with such an engrossing world

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Someone post a forbidden Kirby.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Vermain posted:

DS1's success came off the back of it being decidedly novel for the time it was released. It's not like action RPGs hadn't been done before, but very few of them were as punishing when it came to failure.
I don't think it's as simple as just being punishing. Dark Souls is not really a particularly hard game compared to a lot of games that came before. It's not that punishing even compared to Super Mario Bros in terms of how easy it is to die and the penalty for dying. I think what made it both feel unique and seem more difficult is the aggressive autosave system and the fact that you don't reload/restart when you die. In games with traditional reload, even if you died a million times beating it, at the end of the game you haven't really "died" at all. The deaths don't really register as being part of the journey because you erase them when you reload. Dark Souls forces you to own your deaths. That's really the thing that should define the Soulslike genre even though everyone fixates on difficulty.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

Has anyone been watching Mythic Quest on whatever streaming channel it's on. Is it funny.

i could not finish the first episode but i find almost all sitcoms and indeed most filmed comedy of any kind just as intolerable. so it might be good if you're a normal person

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

I said come in! posted:

Someone post a forbidden Kirby.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

:hmmyes:

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Volte posted:

I don't think it's as simple as just being punishing. Dark Souls is not really a particularly hard game compared to a lot of games that came before. It's not that punishing even compared to Super Mario Bros in terms of how easy it is to die and the penalty for dying. I think what made it both feel unique and seem more difficult is the aggressive autosave system and the fact that you don't reload/restart when you die. In games with traditional reload, even if you died a million times beating it, at the end of the game you haven't really "died" at all. The deaths don't really register as being part of the journey because you erase them when you reload. Dark Souls forces you to own your deaths. That's really the thing that should define the Soulslike genre even though everyone fixates on difficulty.

the other day i was going through sen's with my wanderer and after i beat the iron golem i was going to head down to andre and spend half the 40k souls i got from it on the crest of artorias. it's a run i've made a million times and i wasn't really thinking too hard about it, but when i took the cagevator down i ended up getting blasted in the back by the sorcerer while i was trying to deal with the sword guy who camps the bottom of the elevator route and it knocked me off the platform into the tar pits!!! i didn't have my rusted iron ring on, the fall plus the hit from the snakemen almost depleted my health, and i landed right in between two titanite demons. needless to say i was hosed and even though i was chugging estus and trying desperately to put a pillar between me and the demons they obliterated me

when i respawned at the top of sen's i was like "boy i sure hope i wasn't in the pit long enough for my ~45k soul bloodstain to be down there and not up on the walkway" but no such luck. so after i rode the elevator again and dealt with the snakemen properly i put on my rusted iron ring and thunder stoneplate ring and hoped for the best. i definitely was not geared up enough to actually fight the titanite demons so i just dropped down, drank, and booked it. got clocked once but it didn't kill me and i started climbing the ladder just in time for a lightning bolt to hit the wall directly below me

in any other game i would have died and reloaded and it wouldn't matter and i probably wouldn't even remember that it happened. but in dark souls EVERYTHING matters and you feel like you worked for and earned every advantage you get. that's incredibly compelling in an era and genre where progress is often achieved by simply following the game's instructions for a long enough period of time

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

1. I hate Ryan Reynolds
2. Free Guy looks super derivative

1. I love Ryan Reynolds
2. Free Guy looks like poo poo

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
I generally enjoy Ryan Reynolds, but often scratch my head at the projects he takes. Maybe he just jumps on projects that sound fun to film!

Weedle
May 31, 2006

around ten years ago i watched a ryan reynolds movie called "buried" that is one of those "mostly one guy does some Mega Acting" movies like 127 hours or all is lost and i was really impressed by his performance. i wish he'd do more movies like that because snarky zinger ryan reynolds makes me want to gouge my loving eyes out

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Jay Rust posted:

Yes but, no weapon durability !!

botw was worse for grinding stuff, genshin just settles into daily tasks cos its an ongoing game. botw had 900 korok seeds and nothing else to do.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

If BotW was a twenty dollar game and just the castle and surroundings I'd think it was a 10/10. The last few hours with that were amazingly good. It's just too bad about the twenty I spent before it.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Stux posted:

botw was worse for grinding stuff
disagree because in botw grinding isn't required for game/story progression

genshin won't give you access to quests until you reach certain adventure ranks, and later on they also require you to unlock them with Story Keys on top of that

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I’d like to meet someone who went out and got all of the korok seeds, to test out a theory I’ve been developing

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Stux posted:

botw was worse for grinding stuff, genshin just settles into daily tasks cos its an ongoing game. botw had 900 korok seeds and nothing else to do.

yeah that's the trick to hooking into people's brain worms

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

speaking of BotW being good the new Hyrule Warriors has young purah and impa

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Breath of the Wild was cool for the fact that you could beat the game within an hour if you knew what you were doing.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Help Im Alive posted:

speaking of BotW being good the new Hyrule Warriors has young purah and impa

Young (old) purah

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Waffleman_ posted:

When the mood is tense, I say "Manholes are usually on public roads"

https://youtu.be/p-y0THCbeF0#t=2m1s

e: 2 minute mark (tried to timestamp it)

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

I had never felt embarrassed by a movie idea before until I heard of Free Guy.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

the 900 korok seeds are good because it means you don't have to get them all to get the upgrades associated and spend time hunting and pecking for a needle in a haystack

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Weedle posted:

i could not disagree more i think the "gamefeel" of ds1 is unbelievably good and it's a big part of why i just keep playing it over and over again and haven't been able to get into any other 3rd person action games for months. i can't find anything else that combines such satisfying character control with such an engrossing world

I always find divergences of opinion like this fascinating, since I found DS1's controls to be sluggish, awkward, and generally unresponsive, especially compared to modern titles with similar control schemes and gameplay (e.g. Code Vein). I wonder if it's a consequence of me having only played the PC port, or if there's a difference in how less engrossed I was in the world that also contributed to gamefeel satisfaction.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

gently caress SNEEP posted:

I had never felt embarrassed by a movie idea before until I heard of Free Guy.

Come on! It's Battle Royale the movie! Battle Royale games are super popular, and there never was a Battle Royale movie before, the concept just sells itself!

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
What was that one movie that was about a video game about people fighting but the gimmick was that the players were controlling real people?

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Tron, really. But I bet that's not the one you're searching for.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Gamer is the one I think

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

FirstAidKite posted:

What was that one movie that was about a video game about people fighting but the gimmick was that the players were controlling real people?

Gamer, the premise was okay. It had interesting commentary about the way society views people being incarcerated, but it was a shallow film overall that was boring to watch. I liked the premise to Enders Game better, where child prodigy's are being tricked into being trained for war, and then it turned out they were controlling real people in space ships (they thought it was all a simulation) and then they find out they committed literal genocide and wiped out an entire species, plus sent millions of humans to their deaths.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I don’t know anything about Elden Ring but I did dream about it last night, it was quite vivid, and so I can say this about it:

- There will be a part where you’re outside of a restaurant on a narrow wooden walkway surrounded by water and get ambushed by a series of Silver Knights with spears
- Optionally you can try to build a model of a subway platform / shopping mall, you might have to trade with other classmates in order to get all of the materials however
- The goal is to get to the top a huge mountain, where you form a queue with your classmates to then slide down

Kinda seems lol random when I type it out but it made sense in context. No release date however

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Jay Rust posted:

I don’t know anything about Elden Ring but I did dream about it last night, it was quite vivid, and so I can say this about it:

- There will be a part where you’re outside of a restaurant on a narrow wooden walkway surrounded by water and get ambushed by a series of Silver Knights with spears
- Optionally you can try to build a model of a subway platform / shopping mall, you might have to trade with other classmates in order to get all of the materials however
- The goal is to get to the top a huge mountain, where you form a queue with your classmates to then slide down

Kinda seems lol random when I type it out but it made sense in context. No release date however

See the thing is that this could very well actually be the game. FROM doesn't even know what Elden Ring is.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Youtube recommended me a Cyberpunk 2077 trailer...from 7 years ago. Has it been 7 years since it was announced already?

(no it's been 8)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

8 years! We are almost 1 month away from it finally releasing.