Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
Is there a good video essay about this YIIK game? All I know about it is what I've read here, sounds like a pretentious Earthbound or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

FreezingInferno posted:

Is there a good video essay about this YIIK game? All I know about it is what I've read here, sounds like a pretentious Earthbound or something.

*looks at the camera like Jim in the Office*

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Alaois posted:

lol

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I don't think YIIK is pretentious its just bad.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
I'm sure I already know the answer, but was it ever patched to have faster/skippable battles so that every individual encounter doesn't take 45 seconds at absolute minimum?

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

FreezingInferno posted:

I believe people were talking about this video that was posted several pages ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VR1SibNH-lA

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Alaois posted:

I tried to keep mentioning the video to keep things on topic :negative:

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Mr Phillby posted:

YIIK is the very definition of pretentious.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I will go up to bat for YIIK actually being a postmodern game, though I suspect it is so accidentally.

A friend of mine has a degree in theater, and when I asked him what "postmodern" even means, he described it as "intentionally not having a point" or "intentionally going nowhere or not having traditional character development / story structure" I think by this definition, YIIK actually succeeds at being postmodern through its bad writing. The story sets up that Alex is a narcissist who needs to learn that he isn't the most important person in the universe, and that other people live lives outside of him. Then it's revealed he IS the most important person in the universe, and everyone's lives explicitly revolve around him because everyone he knows was placed there specifically for him. Literally all of existence is built around him, and in the end he learns nothing and doesn't grow. While this is likely just due to poor writing, it could be argued that this does, in fact, make the game postmodern by failing to deliver on its promised character development and growth.

I also think the game is interesting from a meta-examination standpoint. It works a bit like the game The Beginner's Guide in that there's so much weirdly specific poo poo and writing in YIIK that it can be surprisingly easy to start reading into the subtext of the game to try and learn things about its creator.

To be a bit more on topic, Jack Saint has a good video about YIIK:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4xkGmjO26U

CodfishCartographer fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Oct 6, 2020

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

CodfishCartographer posted:

I will go up to bat for YIIK actually being a postmodern game, though I suspect it is so accidentally.

A friend of mine has a degree in theater, and when I asked him what "postmodern" even means, he described it as "intentionally not having a point" or "intentionally going nowhere or not having traditional character development / story structure" I think by this definition, YIIK actually succeeds at being postmodern through its bad writing. The story sets up that Alex is a narcissist who needs to learn that he isn't the most important person in the universe, and that other people live lives outside of him. Then it's revealed he IS the most important person in the universe, and everyone's lives explicitly revolve around him because everyone he knows was placed there specifically for him. Literally all of existence is built around him, and in the end he learns nothing and doesn't grow. While this is likely just due to poor writing, it could be argued that this does, in fact, make the game postmodern by failing to deliver on its promised character development and growth.

I also think the game is interesting from a meta-examination standpoint. It works a bit like the game The Beginner's Guide in that there's so much weirdly specific poo poo and writing in YIIK that it can be surprisingly easy to start reading into the subtext of the game to try and learn things about its creator.

thats kinda what tehsnaker was touching on heavy. there are ok concepts but its such loving mess with such bad writing that it doesnt work at all.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

Is YIIK an acronym or just an intentionally odd name.

The title is stylized as Y[Roman Numeral 2]K, with the intent of it being pronounced "Y2K". But because there's no easy way to express classically stylized Roman numerals in most Unicode alphabets, you get YIIK which looks like it's pronounced "Yeek".

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG

Kamrat posted:

But most of the media is in American English, to hear someone speak with a British accent here is actually quite weird, most people base their English on American English even though most people have a clear Swedish Accent.

And teachers don't go "Do it over but sound more British or else you'll fail", even most teacher that I've met base their English in American even though the spelling is from Britain.

Yeah, in any school I've attended pronounciation wasn't prioritised so that was my experience as well. But when I was in high-school there was a girl in my class who was half-British or something and she had perfect English accent, to the point when it felt like she was forcing it (she wasn't, I was just mean). I guess it was at that time that I've become more aware of differences between BE and AE and also started picking up BE a little bit.

And then I started studying English in the university and had obligatory pronounciation classes, where I had to decide on one accent and stick to it. I chose British at the time but had some problems initially because it felt too proper and posh, while American was more casual. So usually when I read aloud I have more British accent, but when I talk it's more American. But there are still a lot of elements of my native language in both of these modes, so I have no idea what I end up sounding like for a native English speaker.

Anyway, language acquisition is very fascinating and complex and it's totally probable that some chuds talk with fake British accent to sound more authoritative and reasonable. But also I don't think most people pay close attention to learning about different dialects unless they're really interested by the subject. They just say the words whichever way it sounds the most right.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
"YIIK" is a good name for it because "yeek" is the sound I make when people talk about it

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Mr Phillby posted:

I think YIIK wants to be pretentious and fails at it which is worse.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Friendly reminder that if you have any black characters in your party and randomly encounter an enemy cop, the cop will attack the black character(s) exclusively. Also that Alex fantasizes about every single female character he meets except the one who's black

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Friendly reminder that if you have any black characters in your party and randomly encounter an enemy cop, the cop will attack the black character(s) exclusively. Also that Alex fantasizes about every single female character he meets except the one who's black

thats because you, the player, is racist

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

imo its way more surface level than that and the entire paragraphs lifted from david foster wallace and murakami give it away. the devs just wanted a game with that sort of meandering stream of consciousness style. if it werent for the constant digressions where alex remembers some anecdote from high school in the middle of a conversation and deliberately wasted time in the narrative the writing would just be standard scifi/anime/rick and morty nonsense

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

tehsnakerer goes down the entire Post-Modernism Checklist like 3/4ths of the way through the video and YIIK almost certainly consciously hits every one of them

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Farm Frenzy posted:

imo its way more surface level than that and the entire paragraphs lifted from david foster wallace and murakami give it away. the devs just wanted a game with that sort of meandering stream of consciousness style. if it werent for the constant digressions where alex remembers some anecdote from high school in the middle of a conversation and deliberately wasted time in the narrative the writing would just be standard scifi/anime/rick and morty nonsense

Oh I'm sure it's more surface level, hence why I said it's very likely unintended. However there admittedly is a way to read it as postmodern.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Jamie Faith posted:

I believe people were talking about this video that was posted several pages ago

Which itself references a few prior essays including Jack Saint's which I found to be pretty good as well.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

https://mobile.twitter.com/Hbomberguy/status/1313614891333414912

Is it....happening? HBOMBERGUY NEW VEGAS IS BRILLANT AND HERES WHY VID????

:vince: :vince: :vince: :vince: :vince: :vince: :vince: :vince: :vince: :vince: :vince: :vince: :vince: :vince: :vince: :vince: :vince: :vince: :vince:

I've watched the HBG fallout 3 video literally dozens of times its probably the best deap dive into a game ever posted. I am excited

Jamie Faith fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Oct 7, 2020

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

FreezingInferno posted:

It was posted a while back, but the reason for the current YIIK discussion was this video being posted:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Nuebot posted:

I think YIIK wants to be pretentious and fails at it which is worse.

yeah. its basically the video game equivalent of THE JAR or whatever that terrible pretentious movie the RLM gang watched that one time was called.

isnt she supposed to be 16 or something.

also that lockpick joke went on for way way way too long. the writing sounds like the pretentious version of ready player one except 90s hipsters instead of 80s nerd poo poo.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. its basically the video game equivalent of THE JAR or whatever that terrible pretentious movie the RLM gang watched that one time was called.

It was indeed The Jar. Alex even looks like the protagonist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsnzlIests4

I mean, I'm also a late 20s arts major with a red beard but you don't see me going around making pretentious college films or postmodern RPGs. I just try to spitball ideas for a fantasy novel, try and fail to manage time for my writing projects and fulltime work and generally try to keep from having a mental breakdown as I struggle to reconcile with the world around me.

Or you know, bearded arts majors wearing plaid shirts are just an accepted image.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

drat i wish i was you instead of a 35 year old arts major who has no dreams anymore and works customer service

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

This reminds me of the time I met someone that forced herself to sound as American as she could when speaking English and she clearly looked down on anyone with a noticeable accent so there's people for everything, I can sound more American/British if I force myself but I'd rather speak in a way that feels comfortable to me so I don't care about my accent.

I also believe some chuds try to sound more British on purpose, I think they saw that moron Sargon convince lots of people that he was smart using his authoritative accent and got inspired,

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Jamie Faith posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Hbomberguy/status/1313614891333414912

Is it....happening? HBOMBERGUY NEW VEGAS IS BRILLANT AND HERES WHY VID????

:vince: :vince: :vince: :vince: :vince: :vince: :vince: :vince: :vince: :vince: :vince: :vince: :vince: :vince: :vince: :vince: :vince: :vince: :vince:

I've watched the HBG fallout 3 video literally dozens of times its probably the best deap dive into a game ever posted. I am excited

Considering how often he talks about starting a project and how long it takes to finish one, I look forward to the New Vegas video in 2030.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
I wonder if he'll ever do the response to the "no actually fallout 3 is good" video he trailed in his Pathologic video.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
Well I watched the YIIK video I asked for. Huh.

This game was supposed to play bad and just waste your time, right? Like everything about the lack of brevity in the dialogue, all the dragged out running around, the slog of combat, and the convoluted pain in the rear end of levelling up combined with a billion other things is a feature, not a bug.

Christ, it's like the worst fusion of a bad 90's RPG and Spec Ops The Line. What a mess.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

i say swears online posted:

drat i wish i was you instead of a 35 year old arts major who has no dreams anymore and works customer service

Exactly the reason I got out of customer service. There's no quicker or easier way to break a person's soul.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Hbomb doing NV is going to make me lose like 60hours of my life replaying NV.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Knowing hbomb it'll be "fallout new Vegas is an awful mess and here's why"

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Kamrat posted:

But most of the media is in American English, to hear someone speak with a British accent here is actually quite weird, most people base their English on American English even though most people have a clear Swedish Accent.

And teachers don't go "Do it over but sound more British or else you'll fail", even most teacher that I've met base their English in American even though the spelling is from Britain.

I find it impossible to "base" my English on any particular accent at all. It's a wild mish-mash of spellings and pronunciations and trying to keep it "pure" is a conscious (and futile) effort. My teachers used British English since the Isles are close and were easy to travel to.

It is almost impossible to neatly separate vocabulary as well. Most of my vocabulary consists of words learned in passing from reading articles, forum posts (You people are responsible for my English. Yes, you. How does that feel?), conversations on IRC, at work. More people speak English as their second or third language than there are native speakers, it's impossible to keep pronunciation and spelling and vocabulary straight when you are not grounded anywhere.

Affecting a British accent is absolutely a conscious choice. I'm not sure if it's consciously chosen for the image it conveys though.

Tangentially related: It will be very interesting to see the evolution of English. We've already seen divergent dialects arise during the rather short time the EU has existed. Euro English is already a distinct thing. That divergence is only going to accelerate, I think.

Less tangentially related: I love RagnarRox, and his accent just fucks with me. I know where he's from, but try placing him: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSmZcN7AgHQ

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Grapplejack posted:

Knowing hbomb it'll be "fallout new Vegas is an awful mess and here's why"

I'm picturing his opinions in my head, and I'm angry at them

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

FreezingInferno posted:

Well I watched the YIIK video I asked for. Huh.

This game was supposed to play bad and just waste your time, right? Like everything about the lack of brevity in the dialogue, all the dragged out running around, the slog of combat, and the convoluted pain in the rear end of levelling up combined with a billion other things is a feature, not a bug.

Christ, it's like the worst fusion of a bad 90's RPG and Spec Ops The Line. What a mess.
The greak YIIK debate: is the game intentionally wasting your time or is it just badly designed?

Maybe its both?

The game is constantly referential to the stuff that influenced it but its almost dementedly misguided in almost every case. I really do suspect the slog of a battle system is entirely becase they wanted to have it play like earthbound and paper mario at the same time but missed what made either appealing so instead of short minigames that have a clear affect on your attacks you have long minigames that sometimes don't appear to do anything.

See also the very clear lack of playtesting.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Most choices in YIIK betray a lack of perspective, really. It's like they decided to add specific, iconic mechanics from games without making them cohesive and fun, or even understanding why they work. In fact, they just made them MORE. You like the minigames in Paper Mario? Here, they're more. You liked Terranigma's menus? Now they're more. The same thing goes for the writing, every joke overstays their welcome, every interesting concept is run into the ground.

It reminds me of my own failed attempts to write an RPG when I was a teen, using good ol' RPG Maker. Games I liked did this, so to make a good game I just blend everything together and add more of those elements, right?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Zedd posted:

Hbomb doing NV is going to make me lose like 60hours of my life replaying NV.

I've played through New Vegas something stupid like five times.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Lol at putting only 60 hours into a single New Vegas playthrough.

I've only beaten the game once because I have a compulsion to do every single quest and I usually burn out or a mod breaks around the time I kill House.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Arcsquad12 posted:

I've only beaten the game once because I have a compulsion to do every single quest and I usually burn out or a mod breaks around the time I kill House.

I'm a dummy and did a new playthrough in anticipation of each DLC release pretty much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Replaying NV would be nice but I'm currently replaying The Witcher and my opinion of the games is rapidly deteriorating to the point that I'm contemplating writing a long "The games are bad, actually" post and then deleting it without ever posting…