Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Clanpot Shake posted:

You get The Flayer for being really nice to your vassals and court

jk it's for making torture an art

I had a Mindbreaker bordering me. It felt good to crush him out of existence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

huh didn't realize so many people were into traits. I guess the tutorial did suggest that I focus on that.

For my kids I'd always focused on looking for good nearby strong alliances and/or claims.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

My very first CK game, back with 1, was Ireland into Kingdom of Jerusalem

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Femtosecond posted:

huh didn't realize so many people were into traits. I guess the tutorial did suggest that I focus on that.

For my kids I'd always focused on looking for good nearby strong alliances and/or claims.

alliance are fleeting

lover's pox slides on down your family tree

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO
Why does my court empty out upon succession?

Was it because my heir was landed?

Sure sucks to lose my nice physician, councillors, and gang of knights. Now they're all in random other courts. Heir could have really used those people.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

So, one of my sons decided to head out and visit one of my cousins on his own at 6 years old. This means I can't educate him, since he's technically not in my court, and I can't invite him back because he's a kid.

Any way to get him back that doesn't involve imprisoning?

Edit: Why are there so many dynasties around with the same renown level as mine, but with <15 members, and no landed holdings? I think the AI takes renown and prestige gain into account when deciding who to marry, and that's why they keep marrying their firstborn daughters to random schmucks with no claims or landed relatives.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Oct 7, 2020

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Broken Cog posted:

So, one of my sons decided to head out and visit one of my cousins on his own at 6 years old. This means I can't educate him, since he's technically not in my court, and I can't invite him back because he's a kid.
Likely a bug, have a few of those running around myself

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Ain’t no law saying infants can’t broaden their horizons

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Excelzior posted:

alliance are fleeting

lover's pox slides on down your family tree

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > DOTA > Crusader Kings 3: Alliances are Fleeting, Herpes is Dynastic

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!
It's like my vassals don't care at all about the wifestats they're going to get in a marriage or even if they're going to be able to produce heirs. Can't tell you the number of infuriating times my people refuse marriages to extremely qualified, excellent wives because it's a "step down" and then go on to betroth their 12 year old to a 43 year old scaly drunkard with single-digit stats.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
How long should I take me to advance to feudal government if I started in 867? I have Absolute Tribal Authority and I'm almost there on development, rolling in prestige, but I'm miles away from having enough piety or innovations in 970. How can I speed those up?

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
OK So I formed Frisia. I tried my hand at reforming the Catholic faith to ultra liberalism, but I have no head of faith? Like I dont have an option to create a head of faith. I have:

Full gender equality
Priest hood can marry
Cologne as a Holy Site
Pentachy religious choice.

Ok so another short way of forming this question is, what reform choices do I have to make so that I can create a new head of faith?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
So when you change the succession law, it's only for your highest title, right? So if I want male or female preference inheritance in the realm as a whole, I need to actually make a new faith with new doctrines, and change the "Equal" doctrine to male or female dominated?

Gaj posted:

OK So I formed Frisia. I tried my hand at reforming the Catholic faith to ultra liberalism, but I have no head of faith? Like I dont have an option to create a head of faith. I have:

Full gender equality
Priest hood can marry
Cologne as a Holy Site

Ok so another short way of forming this question is, what reform choices do I have to make so that I can create a new head of faith?
Do you not have the button to create the religious head title on the religion screen? It's near the bottom, on the right.

Edit: Also, did you remember to set the Head of Faith to Spiritual or Temporal?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Red Crown posted:

How long should I take me to advance to feudal government if I started in 867? I have Absolute Tribal Authority and I'm almost there on development, rolling in prestige, but I'm miles away from having enough piety or innovations in 970. How can I speed those up?

If you have a learning focused monarch you will be able to blaze through innovations

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
The AI still likes to betroth their kids to 40+ old women btw. Maybe they are powergaming it so all their titles go to the heir they want.

Edit: 150 years later, I'm almost at the second Taoist holy site. Man, these things are spread out.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Oct 7, 2020

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Femtosecond posted:

If you can kill two birds with one stone, always do it. But when it comes to forging alliances, I'm less inclined to use my children, and more inclined to use siblings if I have them, or even dearest mother, if my character's dad died early enough. Keep tabs on your siblings' children and invite adult ones if they're unmarried for whatever reason. Aunts and uncles, too. You can get alliances fairly easily if you have basically any relatives.

I always aim for a high sum of all stats for my expected heir. It can't be overstated how much impact a good spouse has on a court.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

This game has a lot of things that bother me still. Having the war goal be your liege's capital if you declare a faction war is a big stupid one, making it extremely difficult to revolt successfully the HRE because their capital is in the center of Europe. It makes no sense that someone declaring independence has to march into the center of their liege's defended lands and dominate their seat of power just to say "i dont wanna serve you anymore"

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Doesn't revolts, or at least independence revolts, have the revolting lands as the war target, meaning that you'll get ticking warscore after a while if you manage to fend your liege off? At least I think it worked like that in CK2.

Edit: Changed liberty to independence, forgot they were two different things.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Oct 7, 2020

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Knuc U Kinte posted:

This game has a lot of things that bother me still. Having the war goal be your liege's capital if you declare a faction war is a big stupid one, making it extremely difficult to revolt successfully the HRE because their capital is in the center of Europe. It makes no sense that someone declaring independence has to march into the center of their liege's defended lands and dominate their seat of power just to say "i dont wanna serve you anymore"

Wait, really? That's where it is? You'd think it would be.... uh.... all the rebelling territory. That's insane.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah in a Liberty war you're attacking your liege, and the target is their capital. For Independence I'm not sure though.

Red Crown posted:

Aim to be out of it by 1066 at the latest. Good learning stats are the most important thing, since Innovations are the hardest part to come by.

Consider culture/religion swapping or becoming the vassal of a non-Tribal if you want to speed things up, you can always convert back again later.

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010

Veryslightlymad posted:

Wait, really? That's where it is? You'd think it would be.... uh.... all the rebelling territory. That's insane.

It used to be like that in 1.0. That didn't work out either, because it meant the liege could occupy most of rebel territory and beat them in all the battles and still lose, because a timer ran down. Hard to balance right, since it should be fun whether you're playing the liege or the rebelling vassal.

Not sure I think independence wars should even be a thing. Might make more sense that a vassal could go independent if they felt like it, but the liege got a notification and a "crush revolt" CB. Can't figure out if that would be more or less fun.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Broken Cog posted:

So when you change the succession law, it's only for your highest title, right? So if I want male or female preference inheritance in the realm as a whole, I need to actually make a new faith with new doctrines, and change the "Equal" doctrine to male or female dominated?

Your "realm law" determines the "default" succession for all of your personally-held titles. It does not, however, influence your vassals' inheritance. Only doctrine can limit that, as far as I know.

You can also add specific succession laws to your titles individually, but any that don't have any special exceptions use your realm law, it's not just your highest-tier title.

Red Crown posted:

It's a minor thing, but I'm like 99% sure there's no real reason to pass Absolute Tribal Authority until 2 seconds before you press the button to feudalize. It just gives you an opinion penalty and no benefits except the ability to push that button, so you might want to stay in High Tribal Authority until then.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Oct 7, 2020

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Its dumb that you and your army could sit in your untouched lands for years and then because you didnt occupy the capital, you have to go to jail.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Caustic Soda posted:

It used to be like that in 1.0. That didn't work out either, because it meant the liege could occupy most of rebel territory and beat them in all the battles and still lose, because a timer ran down. Hard to balance right, since it should be fun whether you're playing the liege or the rebelling vassal.

Not sure I think independence wars should even be a thing. Might make more sense that a vassal could go independent if they felt like it, but the liege got a notification and a "crush revolt" CB. Can't figure out if that would be more or less fun.

I've always believed that, especially in the earlier parts of the game, it should be very hard to have direct control of lands bigger than, like, a kingdom; anything else should be a semi-autonomous tributary or similar. Maybe just a duchy for tribals. Yes, that's vaguely what vassals represent, but I mean far less control than that -- more like the tributaries in CK2, where they send you some stuff but otherwise make all decisions themselves. Outlying vassals should have relatively easy paths towards peeling themselves off as such a tributary, and tributaries should be able to work towards becoming fully independent over time. But then you have High/Late Medieval techs that let you start folding tributaries back into the realm as "real" vassals.

Of course, there's a mechanic that kind of seems like it would do this, the vassal cap, but it's so huge that all it does in practice is force you to make some dukes occasionally.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

Captured this lady in a war, she's twice melancholic (one is congenital)

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I feel greedy characters should get some stress relief from ransoming prisoners. You know, to counterweight that they get stress from everything else.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

What’s the recipe for dismantling my empires and setting my kings free? How do I change my main title solo can destroy the emperor title?

For doing the many crowns decision, do people generally pop them all at once, or are you setting them independent as soon as you snag a kingdom?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

To destroy an Empire title you must hold a second empire title so you can switch primaries.

For getting the 10 kingdoms thing it's actually more fun to just play from the tribal start where conquering is read easy, and let Partition do it's thing. Russia is good for this, there's loads of kingdoms around. If somebody gets dethroned that's fine, they'll have claims and you just put 'em back.

If you have a crusading religion it's also pretty common to get your guys on distant thrones that way.

ElectronicOldMen
Jun 18, 2018
Alternatively conquer the map and then release your relatives as Emperors rather than Kings, that's the proper CK thing to do.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

ElectronicOldMen posted:

Alternatively conquer the map and then release your relatives as Emperors rather than Kings, that's the proper CK thing to do.

This is largely how I played the last few centuries of my United Africa game. Though it ended up as a mix of emperors/kings, and my goal wasn't really world conquest.

I apparently left the end date on and forgot, could've sworn I turned it off, so I didn't quite finish my goal of conquering Scandinavia and Britannia for my dynasty

Hispania, Francia, and Italia were all personally conquered by me and release as independent empires. Francia promptly imploded and currently not ruled by a member of my dynasty, though I did install them in charge of all of the duchies so that's probably where a large portion of the "42 dukes" is coming from, also the empress is married to a member of my dynasty. Jerusalem and Syria were crusader states set up by my dynasty with beneficiaries many centuries ago, though I think Jerusalem is now ruled by a peasant leader or something which is why its named changed? No idea really what happened there, but Syria went nuts and is now Anatolikon (the ruler holds 3 kingdom titles). Pontus, I have no idea where it came from, but it's ruled by my dynasty. I had no hand in that. It just blew up on its own sometime after the Byzantines exploded. Italia and Hispania are both doing surprisingly well. The main drawback to this kind of gameplay seems to be inheritence shenanigans causing tiny bits of other empires to pop up within my own, which usually eventually become independent due to exclave rules, at which point I revassalize them. The duchy of Seville being in my empire rather than Hispania is a little ugly, but it was dejure Mahgreb rather than Hispania by the time I conquered it so whatever.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006

Broken Cog posted:

Do you not have the button to create the religious head title on the religion screen? It's near the bottom, on the right.

Edit: Also, did you remember to set the Head of Faith to Spiritual or Temporal?

Does the spiritual/temporal distinction matter? Will test.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Gaj posted:

Does the spiritual/temporal distinction matter? Will test.

My understanding is that you will be the temporal head of the faith if you create a new faith with that doctrine (and it is inherited by your primary heir if they're the right faith), but a spiritual head of faith has to be created via the religion tab (if it's not automatically created when you found the faith).

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Oct 7, 2020

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
Does anyone have any good tips on a Zoroastrian->Sayoshyant run? I did the one in CKII but there you could start as a duke in 769 which made it a bit easier. I read on Reddit that a guy did it as the count of Gilan swearing fealty to the Abbasids but I tried it and failed because the Caliph really wants to convert you and become the ward of your children. In CKII you could fake-convert to Islam but as there is no such option in CKIII.... What to do?

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010

megane posted:

I've always believed that, especially in the earlier parts of the game, it should be very hard to have direct control of lands bigger than, like, a kingdom; anything else should be a semi-autonomous tributary or similar. Maybe just a duchy for tribals. Yes, that's vaguely what vassals represent, but I mean far less control than that -- more like the tributaries in CK2, where they send you some stuff but otherwise make all decisions themselves. Outlying vassals should have relatively easy paths towards peeling themselves off as such a tributary, and tributaries should be able to work towards becoming fully independent over time. But then you have High/Late Medieval techs that let you start folding tributaries back into the realm as "real" vassals.

Of course, there's a mechanic that kind of seems like it would do this, the vassal cap, but it's so huge that all it does in practice is force you to make some dukes occasionally.

If the devs can make it work and be fun, then absolutely. That's the rub though. On the few occasions the vassal cap has come up in my games, it's mostly resulted in annoying fiddling around with ducal titles. It might have potential; by the time my realm has grown large enough I'd need to hand out multiple kingdom titles, that actually does have an impact on my finances. But if they head down that route I'd hope they'd improve the UI for handling out multiple titles.

edit:

Magil Zeal posted:

My understanding is that you will be the temporal head of the faith if you create a new faith with that doctrine (and it is inherited by your primary heir if they're the right faith), but a spiritual head of faith has to be created via the religion tab (if it's not automatically created when you found the faith).

If your new faith controls less than two holy sites, the Head of Faith won't auto-spawn, whether the title is temporal or spiritual.

That came up in one of my games as the Wendish Empire, where I reformed off Orthodoxy, whose holy sites were nowhere near my realm. I ended up switching to a different variant of Christianity (catharism, I think) which had holy sites in Europe where they were more accessible.

Caustic Soda fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Oct 7, 2020

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

havent played this in a while. have they added keybindings or a way to raise armies better? my clicking hand got completely destroyed

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Did they remove the fact that the Norse county conquest CB allowed the defender's co-relgionists to join in the defence? This one change from CKII is probably one of the biggest reasons why you have vikings popping up all over the place. They can snipe independent counts easily.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

JustaDamnFool posted:

Did they remove the fact that the Norse county conquest CB allowed the defender's co-relgionists to join in the defence? This one change from CKII is probably one of the biggest reasons why you have vikings popping up all over the place. They can snipe independent counts easily.

In all my recent games after the patch, the vikings have been kicked out of England pretty handily by 950 or so, and there aren't really any remnants on the coasts either, they seem mostly relegated to Scandinavia come year 1000. Alba is doing really well though, they have taken over the entirety of Britain in two of my recent games where I played outside of Europe.

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!

Gaj posted:

Full gender equality
Priest hood can marry
Cologne as a Holy Site

I think you need two holy sites to create a head of faith for a new heresy. Your best bet would probably be to conquer Canterbury.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
If I reform a faith with a theocratic spiritual head, is there anyway to grant them land? Or are they doomed to be stuck in the ether? I was planning on setting up a papacy style kingdom for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Afraid not, they'll be with you in spirit.