Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Spooky Halloween Outfit Ideas
This poll is closed.
The guy from Hades 37 7.76%
The priest from Faith 22 4.61%
A Corpse from Microsoft's Graveyard 27 5.66%
The Ouya 62 13.00%
Google Stadia (scariest option) 73 15.30%
Mr. Mosquito 31 6.50%
Did someone say Bowsette? BECAUSE I AM PRETTY SURE I HEARD SOMEONE SAY BOWSETTE 122 25.58%
Wario (nude) 62 13.00%
Wario (formal) 33 6.92%
Captain N 8 1.68%
Total: 304 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Hmm at what point does a wine bottle filled with water become a water bottle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

When Jesus stops putting his grubby hands all over it.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Jay Rust posted:

Depends, white wine well before red, I feel.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Maybe this is a sign I should play Where the Water Tastes Like Wine

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Maybe this is a sign I should play Where the Water Tastes Like Wine

It's not, that game sucks

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Are you able to talk about how this came about at all? Like, was the dev team approached by them or was it something the dev team had to apply for or what, I imagine there must be something different about how the game is handled when it is part of a device intended for clinical therapy.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Khanstant posted:

What? I just played BG3 and it's definitely using 5E rules?

I said come in! posted:

A quick Google search suggests it uses 5th edition with only a few minor changes.

no longer particularly interested in this game, rip

A disappointment after DOS2 had such an engaging system

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

cheetah7071 posted:

To clarify my stance a bit, D&D 5e is a fun game, because any tabletop RPG is fun. It takes a serious, incredible fuckup to make a tabletop RPG that isn't fun to people who enjoy that sort of thing. And to people who like rules-light systems, it's probably the best D&D to date. But this isn't the 70s, with only a handful of games on the market. There's a vibrant indie scene making RPGs that run the full gamut from basically improving all the way to wargames with elves. I have a hard time imagining the player who is best suited by D&D 5e. I have no trouble imagining that player for previous editions.

Honestly I'm in a 5e group right now, and I'm like 100x more experienced than everybody else so its probably good we went with something simpler, but for what it is... I don't hate it. I thought I would dislike it more.

5E is just a slightly simplified 3rd? And not even necessarily watered down more just ... streamlined?

I tend to prefer roleplaying-heavy systems like White Wolf or Blades in the Dark in general, but you can do worse than 5th D&D.

I'm trying to think of what crunchy roleplaying game IS actually balanced? Most everything I played in the old old days was even worse off than D&D.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I tried playing Darkwood but then some dogs killed me and I just want that jazzed about trying again, so I started Yakuza 6 instead. This game rules! I’ve only played through Y0 before this so it’s kind of a wild time so for me, but I’m so into the soap opera it doesn’t matter. I’ve just made friends with the Hirose family and every time they talk I get giddy because I know at some point Kiryu’s shirt is going to come off and their little podunk minds are gonna be blown.

Relax Or DIE posted:

I'm running Blades in the Dark for my group, highly recommended.
I am also running a Blades in the Dark game for my friends. I wish I had more time to sit down and plan scenarios, but they’ve been having fun with what I can sort of improv. I need a post-it that says “be meaner” because I’ve really been going easy in them in terms of consequences.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I love the "improv everything, who cares, keep moving, fail-forward, do whatever makes for a cool story" attitude of Blades, but I find DMing it and trying to come up with everything on the spot and frame everything as a heist/job can be tough.

I start falling back into wanting to do my normal fantasy world building and then I struggle how to represent that in the system of Blades.

I really like those moments where the PCs are exploring an area and not under too much pressure and talking to people and piecing the clues together or deciding how to solve the problem, and in blades you're basically not supposed to really do that? You basically just jump right into the next thing and retcon it as you go, which is fun, but again, it can be hard to DM and fit in details.

The upside though is Blades can be DM'd with literally 0 prep time, compared to D&D/WhiteWolf/Whatever where I end up spending 4+ hours a week working on building the campaign.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Making it up as I go used to be 100% my style but lately I've been planning more. Still not at 4 hours a week though, I do wing it more than that. But the wonderful thing about the current golden age of rpgs is that there's something for everyone

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
I usually go into BitD with a basic concept and a handful of bullet points and just let what happens happens.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i like 5e though it has its issues.

i am excited as heck to start playing some Lancer tomorrow though

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I just started GMing a complete homebrew last weekend, my group more or less decided that big fancy rulesets tended to weigh us down, and you just needed a few rules to enforce what your character is good at and to encourage activities which would be fun in the setting

rox
Sep 7, 2016

bought crash 4 and finished the main story today. think i ended up at 44%.

as a lifelong fan of the original trilogy, i gotta say, they knocked it out of the park. the controls feel extremely responsive and theres a huge variety to the levels. character designs are all very cute and cool, and i thought the writing was quite charming.

very faithful to the originals while adding a lot of new cool mechanics. while i didnt appreciate all of them (some of those rail sliding sections...) it was a thoroughly fun experience. i really love the flow the game has. feels extremely good and well-crafted. some of the mask powers definitely reminded me of a rayman game or something.

major plus? NO vehicle levels! there are levels that have short vehicle segments, but nothing like crash 3 where you had over 10 levels dedicated to them. instead you get to play as a few different characters which all have their own dedicated levels and playstyle and get to see how they intersect with the main plot.

game is HARD too. some of the bonus sections felt particularly sadistic and ill admit that i laughed when i ended up at the homage to road to nowhere from crash 1. tons of references scattered throughout, from background gags to box layouts

if theres one main complaint i had, i would say that the levels are a little TOO long. some of them feel like they drag on forever.

definitely gonna try the monumental task of getting the platinum trophy, though the thought of clearing some of the enormously long levels 100% without dying certainly seems like its going to test every platforming skill ive picked up over the years. and thats not even getting to finishing all the platinum time trial relics...

good lord there is so much to do in this game

i would highly recommend it to anyone who loved the originals or is looking for a fun new challenging game to learn the flow of.

theres a dynamic difficulty system in place that spawns extra checkpoint boxes if youre having trouble with a particularly difficult section (this was also in the originals in a limited capacity!) so if youre on the fence about the difficulty, it does have a modern mode (enabled by default) that removes the lives system entirely. it will still keep track of your deaths for the purposes of collectibles, but you'll never lose checkpoint progress for dying.

there are 3 multiplayer modes though i have only tried 1 of them so far, which is pass 'n play. it allows you to play with up to 4 people with a single controller which you are prompted to swap upon death, checkpoint, or both depending on what settings you choose. super simple drop-in drop-out. no need to sign into profiles or anything like that. you can enable and disable it at any time from the pause menu.

if i get a chance to get out the other two modes ill post a small update about them

colourblind modes are available and theres nice subtitle settings with an example on screen. you can add different levels of opacity, change the size, and colourcode speaker names. subtitles are in their own menu instead of playing the gameplay/audio/display roulette.

between this, mario 35, and the rare good news from my doctors, i am having a terrific october so far :D

e: added some info about difficulty, multiplayer, and accessibility

rox fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Oct 7, 2020

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

no longer particularly interested in this game, rip

A disappointment after DOS2 had such an engaging system

5e is not a particularly good system but I don't think the flaws of 5e necessarily translate to a video game where you control the whole party, especially when they are changing some things

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Does the specific version of D&D really matter in a narrative driven RPG game that will be almost exclusively played single player?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Have you tried multiclassing in the 3.5 CRPGs lol

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

This is an easy step by step guide to determine whether your character would incur a multiclass penalty and if so how much. Multiclass penalties are on a level to level basis and are not permanent so you need to think about the entire lifespan of the character and apply these steps at each level to guarantee that you aren't incurring a penalty at any point in time. My point is just because you've checked your character is sitting pretty at its final level 20 or 30 situation really doesn't mean squat because you're not going to be gaining anymore xp. Its really important if your plan sets you up to get hit with penalties at one of the later levels. IT IS POSSIBLE TO HAVE PENALTIES FOR JUST A COUPLE LEVELS AND FOR THE AMOUNT OF PENALTY TO CHANGE FROM LEVEL TO LEVEL. If you're done leveling all but one of you're classes and its getting further and further ahead of the others then you don't need to keep checking it. However, if your classes are constantly weaving around the other ones then you probably want to check it more thoroughly.

Initial Note: Once you put an X through a number don't consider it at all for any other steps.

Step I: Write down the number of the level for all of your classes that your character will have. You should not have more than four numbers (you can't multiclass more than 4 classes).

Step II: Put an X through any prestige class number.

Step III: If you are a human or half-elf put an X through the highest number. If there is a tie between two or more numbers just cross out one of them--it doesn't matter which, but only one. (***NOTE: It does not matter if the highest level changes through the life of the character--you always X out the highest level class. i.e. A human 2 rogue, 3 wiz throws out the 3 wiz but the if the same character added two levels of rogue, then he would now throw out the rogue levels because it would be the highest class.)

Step IV: If you are any other race, X out the number of your favored class if you are using it. If you don't know what I am talking about, each race has a favored class that doesn't count toward XP penalty--e.g. fighter for dwarf.

Step V: If you have any repeating numbers, X out all but one of the numbers that is repeating (i.e. 4,4,4,3--I would cross out two of the 4's leaving 4,3). If you have one or no numbers left at this point then skip to Step VIII, you have no tallies/penalty.

Step VI: Choose one of the numbers left that is not X'ed out. Compare that number to only the other numbers left but completely disregard the X'ed numbers. If ANY of the other numbers are two or more levels away from that number (higher or lower) then make ONLY ONE tally mark for that number. It does not matter how many other numbers aren't within 1 level--you only make one tally for that number (e.g. 2,5,6--2 is more than one level from both 5 and 6 but you only give it a single tally). It also doesn't matter if there are numbers that are in between that make a series of 1 level steps--you still get a tally (e.g. 2,3,4--2 is two away from 4 so this would get a tally regardless of the 3).

Step VII: Once you have compared the number you chose to all the remaining numbers, regardless of if you tallied a mark or not for that number, place an X through that number. Move back to Step VI if you have two or more numbers left without X's. If you have only one number left, then move on to Step VIII.

Step VIII: Count your tally (should be 0 to 3) and multiply by 20%. That is the penalty you incur during that level.

So if you had killed a mob that normally gave 100 XP you would only get 80 XP if you have a 20% penalty and 40 XP if you had a 60% penalty. You still need to get to the same amount of XP to get to the next level you just get less XP per mob killed/quest completed.

Example: Dwarf -- 5 rogue, 6 bard, 4 fighter, 5 Shadow Dancer. So I would write down 5, 6, 4, 5. In step II, I would cross out the last 5 because Shadow dancer is a presitge class leaving me with 5, 6, 4. After Step III I would have done nothing because he's not a human or half-elf, but in step IV I would cross out the 4 because fighter is the Dwarves' favored class, leaving me with just 5, 6. In step V I have no repeat numbers left (since I crossed out one of my 5's earlier) and I have two numbers left so I move on to step VI. I choose the 5 and compare it to the 6. Since it is within one level I do NOT make a tally. In step VII I place an X through the 5 leaving me with just the 6 now. Since I have only one number left I move on to step VIII. I don't have any tallys so I don't have any penalty.

If I used the same multiclass with human it would start the same but in step III I would cross out the 6 because humans disregard the highest class they have as their favored class. This leaves me with 5, 4 this time. But in step VI they are still within 1 of each other so still no tally and still no penalty. Same result but due to different favored classes.

Now if we made this a wood elf, it begins the same crossing out the Shadow Dancer 5, but in step II and III we don't cross out anything because he's not a human/half-elf and a wood elf's favored class of ranger isn't in our build. This leaves us with 5, 6, 4. If we pick the 6, it is within one of the 5 but is two more than the 4 so we put a tally. We X out the 6 leaving us with the 5 and 4. We have two more numbers left so we go back to step VI. Now regardless which one we pick will be within one of the other number so we don't have anymore tallys. This leaves us with a tally which is a 20% penalty. If we would have picked the 5 the first time through, it is within one of both the 4 and the 6 so no tally the first time through but then we get the tally the second pass so you can see it works no matter which number you choose.

Even having a favored class is not guaranteed to give you no penalties--in this example above if it were a strongheart halfling which has a favored class of rogue but it will get penalties. I lose a 5 in step II, the other 5 in step III and am left with 6, 4. I compare either one to the other and get more than one away so I got a tally--20% penalty. This is probably the scenario that throws most people--they want to try and chain the one level rule and it doesn't work that way, you have to look at them individually--any class level that is more than one level away from any other non-prestige, non-favored class. But, you don't keep beating a dead horse, once you have found a number that is two away you apply the penalty and don't consider that class level any more. That's why I have the step about removing all but one of a repeating number. It's needed in the following example.

Take a half-elf rogue 5, cleric 5, fighter 5, wizard 3. If we don't have step V and remove the extra 5's we could get an erroneous result if we didn't pick the 3 in the first pass. If we pick the 3 in the first pass, it gets a tally for being two away from the 5's but only one. It's crossed out and regardless of which 5 we choose we get the same results, no more tallies since they are within one of each other. However, if we chose one of the 5's first, then we would get extra tallies each time we picked a 5 before the 3. Essentially we would have unwittingly kept applying the same penalty because 3 is the outlier. If it doesn't make sense, don't worry about it. Trust me, if followed properly, this protocol works.

To give an example of the ultimate 60% penalty take Dwarf 1 wiz, 3 sorcerer, 5 cleric, 7 ranger (don't ask me why you would make such a mess). I don't X out anything in the first few steps because there is no prestige classes, not human/half-elf, and the dwarf's favored class of fighter isn't there. So I move into step VI with all the numbers left 1, 3, 5, 7. I pick any number--5 and compare it to all the other numbers. All of them are more than one away from 5 but I still only put down a single tally. In step VII, I cross out 5 and have two or more numbers left (1, 3, 7). Again in step VI I choose any number--3. It is also more than one away from both the other numbers left but again it just gets a single tally (now I have two tallies total). 3 is crossed off my list and I have two numbers left so I'm back to step VI. Either number is more than one away from the other so I've wracked up another tally. I am left with one number left so I move on to step VIII and I have three tallies--3 * 20% = 60%. This is the worst possible penalty that you can have. This scenario is the lowest possible level that you can have the 60% penalty begin to incur--level 16. Remember it isn't permanent so for example with the 1,3,5,7 Dwarf above if he takes a level in any class but the 7, it will move two of the classes within 1 level of each other so he goes back down to only 40%. Try it for yourself if you don't believe me.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I played a little bit of spelunky 2 before crashing out in bed again (work is v. stress! thanks work!!!) and somehow I got to area 2 on the daily run but still am unable to get to area 2 on a regular run.

Are the regular runs more difficult? I breezed through Area 1 and think I would have done well in 2 (from how I was playing) but did not know what to expect and got knocked into some lava.

Also congrats to more lovely Games mods :)

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

VideoGames posted:

I played a little bit of spelunky 2 before crashing out in bed again (work is v. stress! thanks work!!!) and somehow I got to area 2 on the daily run but still am unable to get to area 2 on a regular run.

Are the regular runs more difficult? I breezed through Area 1 and think I would have done well in 2 (from how I was playing) but did not know what to expect and got knocked into some lava.

I don't know if it's actually easier but with the original Spelunky I always thought there was a psychological aspect to it. Knowing it's the only shot I had at the day's run just made me more careful and take things at a slower pace - even though it doesn't actually matter for anything other than bragging rights.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

stev posted:

Does the specific version of D&D really matter in a narrative driven RPG game that will be almost exclusively played single player?

I mean I don't think any version of D&D (besides perhaps 4e) would make a particularly good videogame, which is why I'm glad most modern CRPGs just make up their own systems designed to be videogames from the ground up

Like, the narrative part doesn't really matter but there's gonna be a ton of combat in the game and D&D combat isn't great

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

cheetah7071 posted:

I mean I don't think any version of D&D (besides perhaps 4e) would make a particularly good videogame, which is why I'm glad most modern CRPGs just make up their own systems designed to be videogames from the ground up

Like, the narrative part doesn't really matter but there's gonna be a ton of combat in the game and D&D combat isn't great

I'd 100% take 5e over the broken mess of a system they used in OS2. The armour system just made a lot of that game actively unfun if you tried to play it normally. Eventually I just started trying to make the NPC groups kill each other rather than engaging in it, and that was fun in an evil mastermind kind of way, but urgh, that system makes me sad because there was so much promise in that game. It works fantastically as a puzzle game, where you try and use the environment to break the game entirely and kill things that are meant to be well out of your level range, but as an actual RPG it was hugely disappointing IMO.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

i caught up on some posts today!! the genshin censorship tweeter's acc is back up ("Due to Genshin Impact censoring the words Taiwan and Hong Kong in the in-game chat I will no longer be posting about the game."); and there's also a informative thread that talks about it being a whole Governmental Thing for studios in china, which is real messed up :( https://twitter.com/ZhugeEX/status/1313575650138218501

also, i've only played a little of it overall but the D&D and Pathfinder i've played has been fun! :)

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

CottonWolf posted:

I'd 100% take 5e over the broken mess of a system they used in OS2. The armour system just made a lot of that game actively unfun if you tried to play it normally. Eventually I just started trying to make the NPC groups kill each other rather than engaging in it, and that was fun in an evil mastermind kind of way, but urgh, that system makes me sad because there was so much promise in that game. It works fantastically as a puzzle game, where you try and use the environment to break the game entirely and kill things that are meant to be well out of your level range, but as an actual RPG it was hugely disappointing IMO.

I liked the armor system and the game was actually pretty well balanced for a normal roughly 1:1 physical/magic damage party.

It starts to show its rear end if you have only a single physical/magic damage dealer (in which case they are often useless) or you do a full party of a type (which trivializes the game)

Andrast fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Oct 7, 2020

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

CottonWolf posted:

The armour system just made a lot of that game actively unfun if you tried to play it normally.

You mean the equipment system? I dunno about actively unfun, but the exponential nature of equipment meaning that pieces a few levels out of date are unusable was the low point of the game, yeah. Definitely not a dealbreaker to me though

If you mean the system where enemies have shields against your CCs, that was the best part of the game imo

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

You mean the equipment system? I dunno about actively unfun, but the exponential nature of equipment meaning that pieces a few levels out of date are unusable was the low point of the game, yeah. Definitely not a dealbreaker to me though

If you mean the system where enemies have shields against your CCs, that was the best part of the game imo

Yeah the loot sucked a lot

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

cheetah7071 posted:

Specifically I meant the split between physical and magic shields, but yeah, the loot was bad too.

I actually enjoyed OS2 loads playing it as a co-op puzzle game, don't get me wrong. I just think it was a terrible RPG, which is what it was actually marketed as.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

CottonWolf posted:

Specifically I meant the split between physical and magic shields, but yeah, the loot was bad too.

Is there a particular reason you disliked it so much? I thought it worked pretty well aside from some team comp balance issues.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Andrast posted:

Is there a particular reason you disliked it so much? I thought it worked pretty well aside from some team comp balance issues.

I'm not sure if it was my inner optimiser or the difficulty I played it as, but basically it felt as if I couldn't do any of the cool things for 90% of the battle, and it really forced you to go 100% physical or 100% magical to get the shields down ASAP so you could actually get the fun status effects off, and when you finally did, everything basically immediately died because the fun status effects were so OP.

I guess if I properly had to diagnose, it feels like shields were their answer to their status effects being too strong, but the actual answer should have been to make the status effects weaker and always applicable.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Oct 7, 2020

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

CottonWolf posted:

I just think it was a terrible RPG, which is what it was actually marketed as.

I'm a little confused by what you mean by this. Do you mean that the combat system interfered with the roleplaying, somehow? But that that isn't true in a game like Baldur's Gate?

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

stev posted:

I don't know if it's actually easier but with the original Spelunky I always thought there was a psychological aspect to it. Knowing it's the only shot I had at the day's run just made me more careful and take things at a slower pace - even though it doesn't actually matter for anything other than bragging rights.

That makes sense! Though I was pretty terrible at Binding of Isaac dailies. Hmmm. I should play more roguelikes. I enjoy them :)

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

CottonWolf posted:

I'm not sure if it was my inner optimiser or the difficulty I played it as, but basically it felt as if I couldn't do any of the cool things for 90% of the battle, and it really forced you to go 100% physical or 100% magical to get the shields down ASAP so you could actually get the fun status effects off, and when you finally did, everything basically immediately died because the fun status effects were so OP.

I guess if I properly had to diagnose, it feels like shields were their answer to their status effects being too strong, but the actual answer should have been to make the status effects weaker and always applicable.

I think having statuses be weaker would have been way lamer because hard CC spells are really fun to have around

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

cheetah7071 posted:

I'm a little confused by what you mean by this. Do you mean that the combat system interfered with the roleplaying, somehow? But that that isn't true in a game like Baldur's Gate?

I think it's a lot of things. I thought the writing was pretty bad and the plot wasn't hugely interesting, the loot wasn't great and the combat system essentially mandated tactical decisions that make no sense in character unless the character you were playing was literally an arsonist. But yeah, as I say, secret great puzzle game.

E:

Andrast posted:

I think having statuses be weaker would have been way lamer because hard CC spells are really fun to have around

This is a fair point, I guess I don't know what the solution is then. There's a reason I'm not a game designer! I just know I don't like the solution they came to.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

CottonWolf posted:

I think it's a lot of things. I thought the writing was pretty bad and the plot wasn't hugely interesting, the loot wasn't great and the combat system essentially mandated tactical decisions that make no sense in character unless the character you were playing was literally an arsonist. But yeah, as I say, secret great puzzle game.

This is easily solved by playing a literal arsonist!

I'm a bit bummed that BG3 doesn't have the element system so every battle isn't going to be a huge mess of environmental effects

Andrast fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Oct 7, 2020

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

VideoGames posted:

:yeah:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I posted about this but didn't post the screenshot, so, for bingo's sake, here's my 32 heat clear.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
I'm really enjoying spelunky 2 but the first area could tone it down a bit. Far from being unmanageable but it often feels so loving busy. Once you make it to the second area and beyond it actually feels better imo

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Relax Or DIE posted:

I'm really enjoying spelunky 2 but the first area could tone it down a bit. Far from being unmanageable but it often feels so loving busy. Once you make it to the second area and beyond it actually feels better imo

I think the combination of moles and the lizard things can gently caress up a run incredibly easily. I wish being hit by the lizards felt less punishing - a lot of the time they just juggle you around until you're dead, especially if there's more than one of them.

(I know the answer is don't get hit by them, but nothing else in the first area of either game feels so harsh).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

The first area is fine once you get the hang of the two new enemies tbh. I actually wish there were a few more level variations for the first area

The only things I'm really not a fan of are poison/curse/the instant kill bear trap things (they've only caught me out a few times but it's kind of annoying especially in a dark level)

The game is amazing though, it's pretty much all I've been playing. I've beaten it a few times but I've been trying to reach the secret areas