Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which season should the next animated reconstruction be from?
This poll is closed.
Season 1 (Marco Polo) 13 18.57%
Season 2 (The Crusade) 1 1.43%
Season 3 (Galaxy 4/The Myth Makers/The Daleks' Master Plan/The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve/The Celestial Toymaker/The Savages) 25 35.71%
Season 4 (The Smugglers/The Highlanders/The Underwater Menace/The Evil of the Daleks) 16 22.86%
Season 5 (The Abominable Snowmen/The Web of Fear/The Wheel in Space) 11 15.71%
Season 6 (The Space Pirates) 4 5.71%
Total: 70 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
I just saw The Mysterious Planet (or whatever). It actually isn't bad. Not incredible but not bad. Both groups of humans are well realized and the story handles a large number of characters well. Even in his later days Robert Holmes still had it to some degree. I didn't realize that Merdeen was the guy who played Duggan.

It would've been better without the trial scenes. It might not have been a good idea to have the characters themselves calling the story irrelevant and saying they don't want to watch it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Cover to Part One of DALEK UNIVERSE revealed!

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1313132472553660418?s=20

They don't list who Gatiss is playing, so it'll be interesting to see if he's playing his Unbound Master.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Nah everyone knows the unbound master is played by Sam Kisgart

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Just gotta' say that I often watch this video to make myself feel better and it reminds me that aside from The Christmas Invasion, The Day of the Doctor is the first Doctor Who I ever saw, and it was so loving good I went back to Rose and watched all of the rest of the modern stuff and my life has been better for it to the point of coming out as trans when 12 regenerated into 13.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0e71KWwE5Fk

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Still blows me away every so often just how loving good Day of the Doctor was. Moffat had a lot of faults but I am so, so glad the 50th Anniversary celebrations were under his watch. Gave us Night of the Doctor too.

"I'm a Doctor... but not the one you were expecting." :hellyeah:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I still think that, for all his faults, Moffat is the guy you wanted for the 50th anniversary. You wanted far-reaching nostalgic respect, and a willingness to swing for the fences in a way that feels like it matters.

He's the only guy that would've both nailed the War Doctor to give him the gravitas he needs, and brought in something like the Zygons to both provide classic series charm and a smaller problem for Ten and Eleven to bounce off of without it hindering the later seriousness. I can picture an R.T.D. Day of the Doctor, and while he probably does good with the War Doctor, I don't think he'd have done well mixing it with the Zygon's side of it all--nor would he have gone with something like the Zygons, I think. Chibnall probably would've done the lighter side of it fairly well, but wouldn't have found a way to land the War Doctor part.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Neither of Chibnall or RTD would have invented the War Doctor. Rusty’s anniversary special would have looked like Journey’s End turned up to 12, the console room overflowing with past Doctors and companions.

Chibnall’s? gently caress knows. Some insipid affair that comes across as hollow and somehow like he’s never really seen the show before.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

RTD's 50th would have made no sense at all, not stood up to even the slightest introspection at all... but goddamn it would have been a loving blast to watch in the moment, and even after realizing how nonsensical it was I would still have extremely fond memories of it and enjoy watching it again :)

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
One of my favorite parts of Day of the Doctor is how the War Doctor sort of embodies and original series fan who is not entirely comfortable with NuWho. For instance, when Ten and Elizabeth get married, and they kiss:

War Doctor: Is there a lot of this in the future?
Eleven: It does start to happen, yes.

John Hurt might have only gotten to play the Doctor once (on TV at least), but he made it count.

By the way, I believe this thread has seen the First Question fan video, which rules. Well, it's been updated, so now it has clips from Twelve and Thirteen, and it's still a great little piece of work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uP5aWvcd7I

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 31 days!
I dislike Moffat's run on the show immensely (I gave up on the show partway through his run), but I'll freely admit that he did a great job on the 50th anniversary stuff. The special was just the right amount of nostalgic fanwank/fanservice, and I loved that he did a webisode solely so he could get the 8th Doctor's regeneration finally filmed. And he did say something that I agree made a lot of sense: he couldn't really see Paul McGann's handsome, dashing Doctor being the one to kill off both the Daleks and his own people during the Time War, and when Eccleston declined to participate, he started thinking about the Doctor having a "lost" regeneration, and that set the wheels in motion for Hurt's War Doctor (who was great). So I will absolutely give Moffat all the credit he deserves for that concept and how he handled the show's 50th anniversary.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

TL posted:

John Hurt might have only gotten to play the Doctor once (on TV at least), but he made it count.

The best thing was Moffat telling a story about Hurt continually coming up to him asking "So I'm officially the Doctor now? I can keep calling myself the Doctor?"

If Moffat had a plan to write the War Doctor out, I wouldn't be surprised if he changed his mind after that.

BBC's really going all in on this TIME LORD VICTORIOUS thing. They're releasing a Blu-Ray of classic stories saying they tie into the storyline:

https://twitter.com/TheCyberdevil/status/1313404019751161856?s=20

And more from BF

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1313494378799865858?s=20

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

They might be going all in on Time Lord Victorius but its so far been a badly promoted, badly managed mess.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
Yeah, every time I see something about Time Lord Victorious I feel like I should be super into it but somehow I'm not at all.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
The Time Lord Victorious stuff irks me since it seems to mostly be about Tennant, who left the role over 10 years ago as opposed to the current Doctor. It almost feels like they’re fuelling the Not My Doctor idiots by ignoring Jodie entirely.

I’m not sure whether this was in development pre-COVID, but with the series at an uncertain standpoint with no one knowing when we will get anything new after the Christmas special it seems like deliberate knock at the current tram.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The_Doctor posted:

Neither of Chibnall or RTD would have invented the War Doctor. Rusty’s anniversary special would have looked like Journey’s End turned up to 12, the console room overflowing with past Doctors and companions.

Chibnall’s? gently caress knows. Some insipid affair that comes across as hollow and somehow like he’s never really seen the show before.

Chibnall: What if...GIANT CYBERWOMAN

Zaroff posted:

The Time Lord Victorious stuff irks me since it seems to mostly be about Tennant, who left the role over 10 years ago as opposed to the current Doctor. It almost feels like they’re fuelling the Not My Doctor idiots by ignoring Jodie entirely.

Feels like it'd be easy to slot her into the book/comic side of things, since that wouldn't require Jodie to do anything herself, much less Big Finish's...interesting soundalike

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
There is some comic coming out that's a 10/13 crossover (with the Sea Devils) but I don't know if it's part of the Victorious line.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Nobody seems to quite understand what Timelord Victorious is and I'm certainly not going to be bothered to learn. I'm almost a decade behind on Big Finish and by the time I get to this, my brain will be too addled to understand it no matter what.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah, I'm really far behind, I still haven't even listened to the second Dark Eyes yet!

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Zaroff posted:

I’m not sure whether this was in development pre-COVID, but with the series at an uncertain standpoint with no one knowing when we will get anything new after the Christmas special it seems like deliberate knock at the current tram.

What I don't get about it is the glaring absence of War, especially since it seems so heavily about 8,9, and 10. If it's supposed to be so omni-channel and cross-format, surely even with the loss of John Hurt they could have done a comic or novel.

It would be like doing a story about the 4th Doctor, crossing over with just 1 and 3 only, for no discerable reason.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Astroman posted:

What I don't get about it is the glaring absence of War, especially since it seems so heavily about 8,9, and 10. If it's supposed to be so omni-channel and cross-format, surely even with the loss of John Hurt they could have done a comic or novel.

It would be like doing a story about the 4th Doctor, crossing over with just 1 and 3 only, for no discerable reason.

or like doing a special with 5 but not with 4!

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I would prefer that the War Doctor be used as little as possible, really. Given that he regenerates immediately after the end of DotD, there's not a lot of times for him to pop up and on those occasions he's probably in an even worse state than he is in DotD. The novels and four-part audio stories are fine continuity speaking, I guess, even if I'm conceptually opposed to them, but him getting invited to a bunch of multi-Doctor stories is rather silly.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, I feel like the War Doc is best left where he is now.

It was one thing when we actually had John Hurt around to play the Doctor in audios set during the war itself, and Day itself was obviously a special case, but him interacting with other Doctors after that feels like it would kind of go against the "mythologising" that those that come after him have been doing prior to that point (which they then learn in Day was wrong and the result of misunderstood trauma and stuff)

Though I can't lie and say that if Hurt was still with us I wouldn't love a one off with him and McGann together

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Good point, the BBC really SHOULD fill the long gap between seasons with The 8th Doctor Adventures starring Paul McGann :hai:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Jerusalem posted:

Good point, the BBC really SHOULD fill the long gap between seasons with The 8th Doctor Adventures starring Paul McGann :hai:

:hmmyes:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Give C.Baker a wig and a girdle

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Jerusalem posted:

No lie, I do think he could still pull off a very near to the Time War 8th Doctor, grizzled and nearing regeneration time. Plus who cares, timey wimey etc.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

McGann posted:

No lie, I do think he could still pull off a very near to the Time War 8th Doctor, grizzled and nearing regeneration time. Plus who cares, timey wimey etc.

It'll all snap back

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Give Doctor Who to a good animation studio with a hefty budget and enough time to polish it to the quality it deserves

Give me a seasonal Doctor Who anime based on the (good-quality) Titan comics artstyle

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Give me more BBC broadcast Doctor Who with more of the budget going into scripts, less of the budget going into location shoots, and more episodes overall.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Give me an animated season 6b, gives me animated seasons of the BF rehabilitated Six, give me animated Eight, etc.. Animation is now a core part of the First and Second Doctor’s seasons, might as well start expanding it to the others too to help expand on areas that aren’t as feasible any more in live action. And I know BF was made for this, but let’s be honest, with the growth of streaming, visual media is more wide reaching and appealing for most potential new fans.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
How about we animate the rest of the missing episodes first?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

gently caress all of that: give me an actually good, big budget Doctor Who video game.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Bicyclops posted:

gently caress all of that: give me an actually good, big budget Doctor Who video game.

Lego Doctor Who please.

And also the animated Sixth Doctor Adventures.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I picture like... Myst series puzzle solving in between some solid stealth mechanics and lots of running and dodging, but no traditional combat. Maybe there's a leveling tree that does things like powers up the sonic to reveal more secrets or helps with hiding, and you can collect things, Arkham style, that talk about the Who rogues gallery. A multi-Doctor story with as many as are willing lending their voices, you're a one-off companion, they list the chapters as episodes with cliffhangers, I don't know, I have lots of ideas, BBC, please consider it.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Trophy: THE MAN WHO NEVER WOULD! (Resolve all QTEs without firing a gun, bronze)

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
I’m worried about the potential blow back of the controversial No Mondasian level.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1313910966212534275

Genetisis of the Daleks looks great

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

"Do I have the write?" :haw:

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

I'm saying genetics, but I'm pronouncing it in the weirdest drat way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Speaking of animation, BBC America is airing the first half of the animated "The Faceless Ones" tonight, and the second half tomorrow night