Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Iacen posted:

Wood paneling for that Atari 2600 look :whatup:

drat yeah.

i want mine textured like a corn cob with butter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Real hurthling! posted:

drat yeah.

i want mine textured like a corn cob with butter

Imagine having corn love forever theme going, with corn love forever plates on your PS5 and you're dressed like corn

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

There are going to be a million 3rd parties working overtime today now that they all know they can make custom PS5 covers.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

PlayStation 5 is getting a trophy system overhaul that rolls out tonight. They're changing the leveling system, made new icons for everything, redesigned the EXP system, and the PS5 itself is getting Xbox One style individual achievement tracking on a system level which is the one thing I wanted from the Xbox cheevo setup.

https://www.gematsu.com/2020/10/playstation-trophy-system-updates-announced-new-levels-calculation-structure-and-level-icons

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

abraxas posted:

I assume nobody knows for sure yet but do we have an idea about the WiFi in the PS5 being better than the PS4?

I know the PSN itself has largely been known for not being the fastest and best network, but I vaguely remember that the PS4 (or maybe the PS3?) had some issues with WiFi because the WiFi stuff was very close to the bluetooth stuff for controllers and they kept interfering with each other or something.

I basically can only use WiFi for my PS4/5 because of how far away they are from my router and poo poo, and it's been pretty annoying so far. It's not unbearable or anything, but the speed difference between my PC on WiFi (around 25 MB/s max) to what I generally get on my PS4 WiFi (around 8 MB/s max if I'm very lucky) is staggering. I'm really hoping the PS5 WiFi is at least a little bit better at utilizing the whole bandwith, especially with the size of games these days.

https://www.tp-link.com/us/home-networking/powerline/tl-wpa4220-kit/

Have a look at mine: main device plugged to my router and then the repeater for Wi-Fi has two ethernet ports to give LAN to two devices (I have my TV and PS4 plugged by lan). Works wonderfully and download speeds are drat high.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Sony did forget the cockroach catching vent however.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Policenaut posted:

PlayStation 5 is getting a trophy system overhaul that rolls out tonight. They're changing the leveling system, made new icons for everything, redesigned the EXP system, and the PS5 itself is getting Xbox One style individual achievement tracking on a system level which is the one thing I wanted from the Xbox cheevo setup.

https://www.gematsu.com/2020/10/playstation-trophy-system-updates-announced-new-levels-calculation-structure-and-level-icons

The best update to this system would have been to just remove achievements/trophies altogether.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

My lizard brain likes getting trophies

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I don't play games on the switch if I can avoid it because there are no achievements/trophies

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Barudak posted:

I don't play games on the switch if I can avoid it because there are no achievements/trophies

I should get a trophy for putting up with the lovely joycons

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I'm guessing there will be vented top covers so it cools better when lying down. It pretty clearly is meant to stand up, which sucks for nearly everyone with a sane entertainment system.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Seems like it would be fine sitting down and probably needs the covers on to cool properly via the front/rear vent airflow channels theyve made for the fan

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

I said come in! posted:

The best update to this system would have been to just remove achievements/trophies altogether.

Yeah, there are some interesting achievements out there, rewards for doing fun stuff but most of them are busy work and/or a total pain in the rear end.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Think im passing on godfall for sure now that they said its always online but not a service game (wtf?)

So its all downside but without the long content drip that makes it worth while, AND the game play looks bad vs demon souls/dmc5se???

No thanks randy.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Iacen posted:

Wood paneling for that Atari 2600 look :whatup:

:flashfap:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

Think im passing on godfall for sure now that they said its always online but not a service game (wtf?)

So its all downside but without the long content drip that makes it worth while, AND the game play looks bad vs demon souls/dmc5se???

No thanks randy.

Its a crazy sales pitch, but this is the same guy who pulled down the complete version of Duke Nukem for sale to replace it with a less complete version.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Guillermus posted:

Have a look at mine: main device plugged to my router and then the repeater for Wi-Fi has two ethernet ports to give LAN to two devices (I have my TV and PS4 plugged by lan). Works wonderfully and download speeds are drat high.

You can use this even if you don't have a TP Link router right? And how does it handle 2.4ghz vs 5ghz signals?

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Not gonna lie, would pay a good amount of money for proper panels, and not just decals.

I am reminded of the faceplates for X360. Completely useless but kind of fun!

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Policenaut posted:

the PS5 itself is getting Xbox One style individual achievement tracking on a system level which is the one thing I wanted from the Xbox cheevo setup.
:(

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

I dunno who might consider this important information but since I remember some pre-order talk earlier either in here or the PS4 thread I thought I'd share it.

I just got an email from the place I pre-ordered from here in Germany (MediaMarkt if anyone gives a poop) and what they essentially said is that due to high demand and server issues there were multiple orders placed by people and that they would be cancelling and refunding them yada yada. More importantly though, they said that due to "manufacturer mandate" there's a limited amount of pre-orders for "One PlayStation 5 of each version".

People were talking about pre-orders being limited to one, regardless of which version you want. So I'm not sure if that's just a Germany thing, the people sending out that email misunderstanding what's going on, or if that's just how it works for pre-orders but there ya go.

Guillermus posted:

Thanks, I might give those a shot if just straight up WiFi doesn't work at least to acceptable levels.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Policenaut posted:

I wonder if they'll start saving trophy pictures in your online profile too.

abraxas posted:

I have a old as dirt fat PS4, no slim, no pro, just old and fat and loud. Either way it looks like I should at least get better speeds with the PS5 from what everyone has been saying, which is better than nothing.

Yeah the fat PS4s including the later all-matte ones only support 2.4 GHz networks, while the Slim and Pro have updated hardware that also supports 5 GHz networks. And the PS5 will support Wi-Fi 6 so we'll have even further enhancements.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Please don't fill up my cloud storage with hundreds of pictures of black screens or pixelated explosions plus the trophy notification thanks

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

I'd be okay with you being able to link it to like a Facebook or Twitter or something and have them auto-upload to that service.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I hope they get completely rid of all the social sharing poo poo and just let us access a folder from the phone app.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
The thing that I most wish Sony copies from Microsoft is the ability to seamlessly use your phone to access stuff you've just made through the Share button. It is absurd that currently the most reliable way to get a screenshot to my phone right now is to tweet it and then download it. The optimal way would be to integrate dropbox or google drive or something of that sort, but if it has to go through the PS app, so be it, but just let me grab my screenshots or whatever without having to literally publish them somewhere, please.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Fedule posted:

The thing that I most wish Sony copies from Microsoft is the ability to seamlessly use your phone to access stuff you've just made through the Share button. It is absurd that currently the most reliable way to get a screenshot to my phone right now is to tweet it and then download it. The optimal way would be to integrate dropbox or google drive or something of that sort, but if it has to go through the PS app, so be it, but just let me grab my screenshots or whatever without having to literally publish them somewhere, please.

I usually just send stuff in a message to a second PSN account I made and then download it using the PS messages app on my phone to avoid having to publish online.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
You can publish to “Activities” with an audience of “No one” to do it just on one account, then it shows up in the PS app.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Thom12255 posted:

You can use this even if you don't have a TP Link router right? And how does it handle 2.4ghz vs 5ghz signals?

You can indeed use this kit with any router (mine is a generic one from Orange, my ISP).

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Transparent side panels without the popped collar, here I come. It looks super cool without the plates.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

I refuse to remove the popped collar, the PS5 must look like Seto Kaiba at all times.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I hope they release a variant with a red base and white fins for a Kiryu console.

DuffMayhem
May 14, 2003

Does it depress you?
How alone you really are

Dewgy posted:

You can publish to “Activities” with an audience of “No one” to do it just on one account, then it shows up in the PS app.

This is what I do, but I agree it's not ideal and is hopefully more streamlined for PS5.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Now that I know how customizable the PS5 case is, maybe I should just hold out to see if a Gran Turismo 7 edition is made. :hmmyes:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

holy poo poo they actually implemented liquid metal cooling at scale. it was rumoured since last year but was really hard to believe as it's been in the realm of short-term OC enthusiasts rather than deployed in a consumer product intended to last for years

not surprised at their thermal performance given most of the case is cooling coupled with liquid metal, v nice to see an official teardown as well

Curious if you think vertical vs horizontal positioning would affect the efficacy of the liquid metal cooling the processor or not, is that a dumb question?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Its probably in a capsule thats filled enough so that it provides coverage in any orientation

Vs like half full so it all runs to the bottom when verticle. That would be bad

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Curious if you think vertical vs horizontal positioning would affect the efficacy of the liquid metal cooling the processor or not, is that a dumb question?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

If you turn the PS5 vertical, the liquid metal spills out the bluray slot

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Don't ask me about the all digital version

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Quantum of Phallus posted:

If you turn the PS5 vertical, the liquid metal spills out the bluray slot

i mean, what's to stop it? WHAT'S TO STOP IT?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

i mean, what's to stop it? WHAT'S TO STOP IT?

Posting and prayer