Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Wildtortilla posted:

I have more trouble in the first phase of the Hades fight than the second phase. I'm assuming jacking up Extreme Measures might make me reconsider that statement, but for now, at EM1, Phase 1 is harder for me.

It won't. In my opinion, each phase is easier than the last even in EM4. The only thing ratcheting the intensity up is that you're running low on health, and the adrenaline starts pumping as you get close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Fedule posted:

I have decided, upon reflection, that I do not like In The Blood.

I have the same issue, because I'm always poor at picking out lyrics and I can't tell what most of the lines are supposed to be. The bigger issue for me though is my ADD failbrain insisting that In the Blood is just Evanescence doing a Kashmir cover and I can't get the thought out of my head.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Wildtortilla posted:

I have more trouble in the first phase of the Hades fight than the second phase. I'm assuming jacking up Extreme Measures might make me reconsider that statement, but for now, at EM1, Phase 1 is harder for me.
That's definitely true for me, but I usually still die on the second phase from all the health I've lost in the first phase. I get him down to 30% or whatever and I'm not taking a lot of hits but my background anxiety ramps up thinking about all the slight changes I could have done to have an extra DD or a better boon and whoops I'm dead.

At this point I'm having streaks of three successes followed by a failure but that just makes the failures sting worse. I tried to load up on 4 unique pact conditions to finish that Fated Prophecy faster and now I'm gonna have to choose them all again :cry:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The hardest part of the fight is deal with the adds imo, especially in EM4

In EM4, his third phase is easier than the second for me, because the spooky effect doesn't do very much but he starts going invisible again, which is an opportunity to breathe, regroup, and kill skulls.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Wildtortilla posted:

For me it all depends on what adds he gets. Sometimes he just gets Numbskulls and Bloodless, other times it's loving Voidstones and Strongbows.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
One time in EM4 he summoned a doomstone, wich I let live because it wasn't that threatening, and then summoned two more doomstones. I believe I got a solid 5 FPS during that section on my switch

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I had my first EM4 today, and double Sneak was a huge pain

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I beat the first boss the first time and died shortly after. Do I have to beat each boss each run, or do they stay defeated?

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
I've got like 20 ambrosia and no clear use for it. Should I just start turning it into titans blood or hold onto it

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

blue squares posted:

I beat the first boss the first time and died shortly after. Do I have to beat each boss each run, or do they stay defeated?

Much like you revive after death, so do they.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I got the fate for every duo! Some of these are absolutely terrible! I also spent 15 ambrosia on a theme because it gave me way too much ambrosia

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Kuros posted:

Much like you revive after death, so do they.

gently caress

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

terrorist ambulance posted:

I've got like 20 ambrosia and no clear use for it. Should I just start turning it into titans blood or hold onto it

Do you have every bond and companion maxed out?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

blue squares posted:

gently caress

Don't worry. You'll get stronger from things like mirror upgrades and keepsakes and they won't (until you clear for the first time and start turning up the heat).

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Hwurmp posted:

Do you have every bond and companion maxed out?

No but I can only give them nectar, I can't seem to do anything with ambrosia

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

blue squares posted:

gently caress

Killing Megs becomes second nature after your first three or so goes. Soon you'll just be taking chip damage breezing past her.

Third boss though...

Sivart13
May 18, 2003

terrorist ambulance posted:

No but I can only give them nectar, I can't seem to do anything with ambrosia
Once you give a person all the nectar you can give them ambrosia comes after.

Some of the people just drink up ambrosia like it's water so you better hold on to all the ones you've got for now.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Sivart13 posted:

Once you give a person all the nectar you can give them ambrosia comes after.

Some of the people just drink up ambrosia like it's water so you better hold on to all the ones you've got for now.

oh. man there's a lot of advancement.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Bug Squash posted:

Killing Megs becomes second nature after your first three or so goes. Soon you'll just be taking chip damage breezing past her.

Third boss though...

It's funny, I think that's the easiest boss fight. The loving giant butterfly ball room is the hardest room in Elysium

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

zoux posted:

It's funny, I think that's the easiest boss fight. The loving giant butterfly ball room is the hardest room in Elysium

That really depends on your weapon and build. I had a lot of trouble with the butterball until I started learning how to put together high DPS build and now I just melt it before it become much of an issue. Often without any of the adds even fully spawning.

Having an assist unlocked helps a lot, admittedly, but I've done it without.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Butterfly ball is easy if you have good melee DPS because you can just ignore the baby Exalted Souls it summons. It can't do anything to you up close. It's definitely more difficult than solo Asterius, though.

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!
God drat I had a really good sword run going but hosed up and took the chop hammer and well that was as it. Maybe other people can use it more effectively than I can...

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

zoux posted:

The butterfly isn't a huge issue. If you have a ton of damage, ignore the regenerating ghosts and wail away on it - then mop up the enemies that are left. If you don't, and you'll get overwhelmed by the spawns, concentrate on taking care of them first while they're still ghosts, and keep the butterflies off your back with your best AOE.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003

Bug Squash posted:

It feels impossible to truly die on the first boss late in the game when you've got 3x DD.

But, looking back, I'm not sure I've *ever* died on the Hydra. Maybe once or twice. Maybe just because it moves so little it's easier to get out of the way when it does some things. I wish there were a little more going on story-wise to that battle other than the name change.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

HellOnEarth posted:

God drat I had a really good sword run going but hosed up and took the chop hammer and well that was as it. Maybe other people can use it more effectively than I can...

World Splitter is all about hit-and-run and using your air control during the animation to weave in and out of enemy attack patterns.

The very high base damage is also excellent.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I've yet to lose a DD on Meg or Tisiphone (Tisiphone is probably the easiest of the sisters, because her gimmick makes killing her easier.)

Alecto is a bit more touch and go.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Wow, managed my second clear with the rail of all things - its certainly not my favorite and i've found it pretty tricky. I rolled with the aspect for standing in explosions, but the run winner was probably cluster bomb. I was able to lame out Hades by dropping explosions everywhere and playing keep away.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

In the Blood? Hmmm ok but how about In the Butt

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Oxyclean posted:

Wow, managed my second clear with the rail of all things - its certainly not my favorite and i've found it pretty tricky. I rolled with the aspect for standing in explosions, but the run winner was probably cluster bomb. I was able to lame out Hades by dropping explosions everywhere and playing keep away.

Yeah the ranged weapons are the easiest to get your first few wins with. For stuff like the fists, you really need to stack on the defensive boons.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Is there a non speedrun focused guide with suggestions for good combos for given weapons? I feel like my build quality is my number one issue right now. Every boss fight ends up being a giant marathon slog because my damage tends to be bad.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

tildes posted:

Is there a non speedrun focused guide with suggestions for good combos for given weapons? I feel like my build quality is my number one issue right now. Every boss fight ends up being a giant marathon slog because my damage tends to be bad.

Do you have a favorite weapon? All of them have good builds which can clear on high heat, but starting from something you enjoy will be a lot more useful than just suggesting random weapons.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

good god

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I had my first EM4 today, and double Sneak was a huge pain

I also did my first one today the double sweep kept screwing me up, and then I went all in on burning down phase two. who knew there's a phase three!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

tildes posted:

One really basic thing you can always do is load up on different status curses, to make sure you're benefiting from Privileged Status as often as possible.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Oct 7, 2020

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Coming back to Hell after Persephone tells you she doesn't want you to visit again and hearing Orpheus singing "Good Riddance" was such a heartbreaker.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I love alhrodite/demeter for chiron bow. Puts in good work for privileged status and if aphro is on the special it can insanely hard. Haven't tried it with artemis on the special, I'm assuming the crit chance is applied to each arrow in the special?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Chill stacks so I'd put it on the special, and then shoot for Arctic Blast.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003

OhFunny posted:

Coming back to Hell after Persephone tells you she doesn't want you to visit again and hearing Orpheus singing "Good Riddance" was such a heartbreaker.
I found that kinda a weird part of the story. She makes such a big point of not wanting Zag to come back, to avoid starting global zeusonuclear war or whatever, but Zag just... does it anyway. I thought the game might at least block her off for a couple runs until you can come back with a Falafel of Fate or some plan you've devised by talking to someone else. It's not out of character or unexpected, it just feels like there's another story beat missing there.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Hwurmp posted:

Chill stacks so I'd put it on the special, and then shoot for Arctic Blast.

Is that the one that makes an explosion when it hits 10 stacks? I run that quite often, but I don't know if the decay boon is better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!
I was disappointed to find out that the songs on the jukebox don't have vocals.