Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

OwlFancier posted:

It wasn't initially a cheeseburger.

Are you suggesting some sort of curdling process took place

Or is this yet another "technically it's a smegmaburger" rant from ol' OwlFancier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

So, they're losing the 'softer' fans while consolidating the more extreme base? That reminds me of the snowball effect that Prester Jane had mentioned in the Authoritarians thread

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

you don't gently caress people in their blood

well, i mean, i don't

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Doc Hawkins posted:

you don't gently caress people in their blood

well, i mean, i don't
Man up and get your wings you wuss

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Serperoth posted:

So, they're losing the 'softer' fans while consolidating the more extreme base? That reminds me of the snowball effect that Prester Jane had mentioned in the Authoritarians thread

Yeah for all the people that got REAL MAD about Prester Jane posting, her idea of compaction cycles has made understanding right wingers a lot easier.

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax
you were two of the guys who encouraged that stuff weren't you

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
^^ Real Mad about Prester Jane posting ^^

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Prester Jane Was* Right

*Also Still Is

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Captain Monkey posted:

Yeah for all the people that got REAL MAD about Prester Jane posting, her idea of compaction cycles has made understanding right wingers a lot easier.

It’s a very concise way of talking about what others have also observed/documented (Festinger et al. in When Prophecy Fails, for example).

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

LordSaturn posted:

Prester Jane Was* Right

*Also Still Is

The poster that advocated murdering healthcare workers as a means of civil disobedience?

I'm not sure I agree with you.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

1) I'd like to see where she said that
2) I didn't say she was right about everything

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

PetraCore posted:

I was taught that the advantage of a democracy was that you get to kick people out of ruling.

The romanovs deserved it

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

LordSaturn posted:

1) I'd like to see where she said that
2) I didn't say she was right about everything

Check her rap sheet, right at the start of the pandemic she advocated blockading PPE factories as a method of achieving revolution.

I concede PJ has expressed ideas that make me Capitol-T think about stuff.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Elviscat posted:

The poster that advocated murdering healthcare workers as a means of civil disobedience?

I'm not sure I agree with you.

so, sidebar, but this bullshit is probably one of the biggest problems the left has: we've completely failed to figure out a solution to the Michio Kaku problem.

if you're not familiar, Michio Kaku is a genius theoretical physicist who's one of the chief minds behind quantum mechanics existing, as a discipline. in his field, he is loving unimpeachable and you'd be an idiot to even try. however, Michio Kaku also likes to show up on Discovery Channel and History Channel programs that have nothing to do with theoretical physics and babble on about dinosaurs being part UFO or whatever the gently caress, so he can make beer money.

the world has, by and large, resolved this by listening to Michio Kaku whenever he's talking about subatomic particles or quantum theory, and quietly ignoring him whenever he talks about things that aren't that. nobody's moving to have his name stripped from his theoretical physics papers because he went on Ancient Aliens and babbled about how UFOs totally built Stonehenge. the takeaway, generalized, is this: it is possible to have bad, dumb or uninformed opinions on some things, while still having good opinions or genuine insight on other unrelated things.

for example, Prester Jane may or may not believe that you should murder EMTs as a means of civil disobedience. (i have never personally seen her say this, but it's being alleged, so i'll take it at face value for the purposes of this discussion.) if she does believe that, that's an insanely loving bad opinion and should probably be called out as such. however, it also has precisely jack and poo poo to do with her theories on how right-wing groups organize and operate, to the point where bringing it up in the latter context is almost a complete non-sequitur; using it as a reason to discount those theories doesn't make any sense.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

LordSaturn posted:

Prester Jane Was* Right

*Also Still Is

:haibrow:

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

Captain Monkey posted:

^^ Real Mad about Prester Jane posting ^^

I was a friend of hers before those loving threads made her already tenuous grip on reality start fraying because she got dozens of idiots saying how right she was about everything, even the dangerous and self-destructive stuff

so more accurately i'm mad at posters like you. i feel really bad for her.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

StillFullyTerrible posted:

you were two of the guys who encouraged that stuff weren't you

I haven't even read the full thread yet, and it wasn't new when I first stumbled across it, so no.

Sucks to hear about what's happened though.

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

Yeah, sorry for lashing out. It's a sore spot.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
From the clearly didn't finish the show category.

https://twitter.com/AgentTinsley/status/1314016965212602369?s=20

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Im by no means a fan of kamala harris (acab, eat poo poo d.a., etc) but lmao at trying to handwring n tutt tut over this poo poo

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

StillFullyTerrible posted:

I was a friend of hers before those loving threads made her already tenuous grip on reality start fraying because she got dozens of idiots saying how right she was about everything, even the dangerous and self-destructive stuff

so more accurately i'm mad at posters like you. i feel really bad for her.

Really cool of you to put all of that on me because I said some of the things she talked about helped me think about right wing weirdos in a better and more concise way, and made a joking reference to the people that threw slurs and freak outs your ‘friend’s’ way every time she posted.

Aaanyway.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Im by no means a fan of kamala harris (acab, eat poo poo d.a., etc) but lmao at trying to handwring n tutt tut over this poo poo

Republicans are so much better at making me want to vote for the Democrats than the Democrats ever will be. It never even occurred to me Kamala saw the fly and decided not to mention it in a power play and I loving love the idea.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Skwirl posted:

From the clearly didn't finish the show category.

https://twitter.com/AgentTinsley/status/1314016965212602369?s=20

https://mobile.twitter.com/AgentTinsley/status/1314019293483294721

Having said that I can totally imagine Harris massacring an entire population out of spite and hated while riding a dragon

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Having watched both debates its really made it clear that we are all living a shared delusion that politicians are anything other than demented and vile. How could anyone look at the participants of either debate, and come away with the impression of anything other than madness and corruption.

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

Captain Monkey posted:

Really cool of you to put all of that on me because I said some of the things she talked about helped me think about right wing weirdos in a better and more concise way, and made a joking reference to the people that threw slurs and freak outs your ‘friend’s’ way every time she posted.

Aaanyway.

No I assumed you were one of them because you're just a generally terrible poster. My bad.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Biplane posted:

Having watched both debates its really made it clear that we are all living a shared delusion that politicians are anything other than demented and vile. How could anyone look at the participants of either debate, and come away with the impression of anything other than madness and corruption.

Because the celebrification of politicians has turned much of America’s brains into soup.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Our brains were soup long before that.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Who is Prester Jane?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

She spent a lot of time developing some sort of universal theory of authoritarian politics but I think her mental health issues caused quite a lot of problems.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Punkin Spunkin posted:

If I believed this I'd just be disappointed she didn't make a bunch of fly jokes in her responses. It'd bug me.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Flies aren't bugs!

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

mother of drones

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/Bevvie112/status/1314115726123429890?s=19

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

so, sidebar, but this bullshit is probably one of the biggest problems the left has: we've completely failed to figure out a solution to the Michio Kaku problem.

if you're not familiar, Michio Kaku is a genius theoretical physicist who's one of the chief minds behind quantum mechanics existing, as a discipline. in his field, he is loving unimpeachable and you'd be an idiot to even try. however, Michio Kaku also likes to show up on Discovery Channel and History Channel programs that have nothing to do with theoretical physics and babble on about dinosaurs being part UFO or whatever the gently caress, so he can make beer money.

the world has, by and large, resolved this by listening to Michio Kaku whenever he's talking about subatomic particles or quantum theory, and quietly ignoring him whenever he talks about things that aren't that. nobody's moving to have his name stripped from his theoretical physics papers because he went on Ancient Aliens and babbled about how UFOs totally built Stonehenge. the takeaway, generalized, is this: it is possible to have bad, dumb or uninformed opinions on some things, while still having good opinions or genuine insight on other unrelated things.

for example, Prester Jane may or may not believe that you should murder EMTs as a means of civil disobedience. (i have never personally seen her say this, but it's being alleged, so i'll take it at face value for the purposes of this discussion.) if she does believe that, that's an insanely loving bad opinion and should probably be called out as such. however, it also has precisely jack and poo poo to do with her theories on how right-wing groups organize and operate, to the point where bringing it up in the latter context is almost a complete non-sequitur; using it as a reason to discount those theories doesn't make any sense.

Let me know when this guy gets beyond theoretical work and does actual work

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I'm just saying if Kamala is riding a dragon around raining fire on Cleveland maybe it deserved it?

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

oldpainless posted:

Let me know when this guy gets beyond theoretical work and does actual work

michio kaku paint my fence

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

So the "every famous person ever is trans" conspiracy is utterly bizarre but what I'm stuck on at this particular moment is the fact that these people seem to think that trans people only ever date other trans people who are the opposite gender from themselves. And I know this is because they're conflating gender identity and sexual orientation, but the end result is a heterosexual relationship, just in a way that they've decided is "wrong."

So not only is there a global conspiracy where all famous people ever are trans, the global conspiracy is also running a dating service.

Also these doofuses are apparently unaware of the well established fact that fat men can have tits.

Best Korea
Feb 15, 2012

Mak0rz posted:

Who is Prester Jane?

She grew up in a cult and was involved in a lot of weird poo poo as an adult that lead to a theory about how authoritarian groups operate. It was applied to the far right since it came out of D&D and was originally a way of explaining why the Republican party keeps getting more and more extreme, but you can see it play out in fandom circles too and she was working on trying to articulate that aspect at one point. She quit posting last summer because of frustration that had been building for years and the current political environment of the US is triggering in general. She still pops up on twitter.

Also, she never advocated killing healthcare workers, or bombing PPE factories, she was advocating a general strike, which she's been doing for a long time, and suggested the PPE factories do something akin to when NHS doctors and nurses strike to draw attention to how poorly its getting distributed or something like that.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Elviscat posted:

Check her rap sheet, right at the start of the pandemic she advocated blockading PPE factories as a method of achieving revolution.

I was willing to take this at face value, but then Best Korea told a conflicting story and I decided to look into it

Triskelli posted:

Idle thought, but what would it take to turn social distancing into a general strike?

mod sassinator posted:

How can you strike when you don't have a job anymore because it's closed down? (not sarcastic or smarmy answer, it's the sad truth)

Prester Jane posted:

Serious Answer: You+me+a crowd of people block all the entrances to a PPE factory and refuse to budge until our demands are met.

People power only exists when the people collectively decide to step on the system's most vulnerable pressure points without hesitation or mercy. When the people are content to calmly voice their grievances while standing in a free speech zone- then the system can simply ignore us for as long as it takes.

she was literally describing the conditions of a general strike, but the same category of no-context fucklords that ruin anyone even slightly weird on this website apparently started describing it as "blockading PPE factories" and "holding workers hostage" to "achieve revolution"? (the hostage bit was from the thread linked above, the other two are things you said yourself)

Elviscat, I hate to say it, but you're telling lies

EDIT: vvv the difference is the context of it being an answer to the question "what does a general strike look like"

LordSaturn has a new favorite as of 20:12 on Oct 8, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Serious question: what’s the difference between “block all the entrances to a PPE factory” and

LordSaturn posted:

"blockading PPE factories"

?