Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I am confused, do we know if Bugsnax is a single player game or a multiplayer game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

quote:

The November 2020 issue of the Official PlayStation Magazine revealed some new details on how haptic feedback and adaptive triggers will enhance the experience. According to the magazine, all weapon attacks and magic spells will have "different sensations through the adaptive triggers" and parries will be felt through haptic feedback. Even pulling levers and opening gates will result in different sensations.

touch the demon inside me

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Lobok posted:

BugSnax crew is a bunch of snacks themselves!
fuckin snax havers

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Bust Rodd posted:

I am confused, do we know if Bugsnax is a single player game or a multiplayer game?

It’s Bugsnax

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Red Warrior posted:

Keighley retweeted this, possible announcement of a validated SSD coming up?
https://twitter.com/wd_black/status/1314022710872170496

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I got me a console as big as whale and I'm about to set saaaaaaaiiiil!

Bugsnaaaax!
That's where it's at!
Bugsnaaaax!
That's where is at!

hot post!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Fedule posted:

This liquid metal deal fascinates me.

Liquid metal thermal interface material (TIM) is great, because like Sony said and like you can probably guess, it's a really good thermal conductor, better by an order of magnitude than the ceramic paste you normally see on CPUs. It also has two very big problems: firstly, it - being mostly based on gallium - corrodes copper (aka the thing most heatsinks are made of) in the presence of air, which among other problems will gradually ruin the thermal interface, and secondly, it - being metallic - will short basically anything on the mainboard it comes into contact with. Because of these problems, metal TIMs are typically only seen a) inside commercial CPU blocks between the silicon die and the heat spreader which is fully sealed off and almost never accessed by consumers and b) in enthusiast custom builds, where the builder is free to tackle these problems - or be ignorant and get bitten my them - as they wish, usually by either working very carefully, committing to some maintenance, or knowing they'll probably replace most of it in a few years anyway.

What I'm getting at here is that it is a bold choice to use a liquid metal TIM in a mass market consumer electronic device like the PS5, especially one that's intended to work in various orientations and be carted around in backpacks and be allowed anywhere near children. The teardown video mentioned "two years of research" and alluded to some patents. I can only presume that all this work was figuring out how the hell to work around the problems inherent in putting interesting liquid gallium alloys inside your electronics.

It seems a little reductive to suppose that the sum total fruit of two years of research is "put an insulating block around it" but I can't really argue with the sense of that. Perhaps the work went into producing not only a block (which might be made of something interesting) but also a manufacturing method to consistently apply the block, the liquid inside the block, and the seal on top of it, all reliably, in a way that ensures a good interface between the SoC and the heatsink that's fully contained and airtight to stop it reacting. Plus I imagine they'll treat the copper contact plate into the bargain, I think that's a thing. It's also possible Sony might have developed an entirely new kind of liquid metal TIM that alleviates some of the problems associated with it - in any case I highly doubt they've simply bought a couple hundred vats of Conductonaut. I don't think it's going to be any kind of exotic compound, though, because I guess at some point this stuff still has to be reasonably user-serviceable, I hope?

What I really wonder is how this will affect dissassmbly. Most people don't take apart their Playstations as far as the actual SoC, and for those that do, ceramic TIM is foolproof enough that you can just tell people to just slather some on there and it'll probably be fine (hell it's not like the factory puts much effort into applications either) and you can't really ruin anything by spilling it. Obviously that's not so with liquid metal, the proposition is inherently going to be spicier. My guess is that Sony are taking the approach - not altogether unreasonably - that all bets are off once a consumer is prodding at their silicon instead of the fans, heatsink, SSD or antennae (good god, at least they actually let you get at the cooling assembly without going through the loving mainboard this time around). My point with this is, with all the fun considerations in place around liquid metal it's in everyone's interests to never ever open that thing up if you can help it. And my point with that is, I absolutely cannot wait for the stories of people deciding to do it anyway.

Also, I idly wonder if there'll be some kind of RRoD/YLoD-scale scandal that turns out to arise from this insulating block not being quite as airtight as we hoped...

Finally, for a funfact, because I'm just that kind of a person, I actually took apart my PS4 Pro and replaced the factory paste with Conductonaut and surrounded it with a bunch of electrical tape in a crude approximation of what turns out to be exactly what Sony made with the PS5. I did this in the full knowledge that it would probably eventually brick the thing (if not immediately, if I did it right), but it turns out that three years later it's still going strong and doesn't seem to have degraded noticeably at all (not that I can directly test much of it). While I was at it I also swapped out the fan with one from a later iteration that was less whiny. Like many PS4 owners, I was very concerned about noise.

Fun afternoon.

cool post!

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Fedule posted:

This liquid metal deal fascinates me.

Liquid metal thermal interface material (TIM) is great, because like Sony said and like you can probably guess, it's a really good thermal conductor, better by an order of magnitude than the ceramic paste you normally see on CPUs. It also has two very big problems: firstly, it - being mostly based on gallium - corrodes copper (aka the thing most heatsinks are made of) in the presence of air, which among other problems will gradually ruin the thermal interface, and secondly, it - being metallic - will short basically anything on the mainboard it comes into contact with. Because of these problems, metal TIMs are typically only seen a) inside commercial CPU blocks between the silicon die and the heat spreader which is fully sealed off and almost never accessed by consumers and b) in enthusiast custom builds, where the builder is free to tackle these problems - or be ignorant and get bitten my them - as they wish, usually by either working very carefully, committing to some maintenance, or knowing they'll probably replace most of it in a few years anyway.

What I'm getting at here is that it is a bold choice to use a liquid metal TIM in a mass market consumer electronic device like the PS5, especially one that's intended to work in various orientations and be carted around in backpacks and be allowed anywhere near children. The teardown video mentioned "two years of research" and alluded to some patents. I can only presume that all this work was figuring out how the hell to work around the problems inherent in putting interesting liquid gallium alloys inside your electronics.

It seems a little reductive to suppose that the sum total fruit of two years of research is "put an insulating block around it" but I can't really argue with the sense of that. Perhaps the work went into producing not only a block (which might be made of something interesting) but also a manufacturing method to consistently apply the block, the liquid inside the block, and the seal on top of it, all reliably, in a way that ensures a good interface between the SoC and the heatsink that's fully contained and airtight to stop it reacting. Plus I imagine they'll treat the copper contact plate into the bargain, I think that's a thing. It's also possible Sony might have developed an entirely new kind of liquid metal TIM that alleviates some of the problems associated with it - in any case I highly doubt they've simply bought a couple hundred vats of Conductonaut. I don't think it's going to be any kind of exotic compound, though, because I guess at some point this stuff still has to be reasonably user-serviceable, I hope?

What I really wonder is how this will affect dissassmbly. Most people don't take apart their Playstations as far as the actual SoC, and for those that do, ceramic TIM is foolproof enough that you can just tell people to just slather some on there and it'll probably be fine (hell it's not like the factory puts much effort into applications either) and you can't really ruin anything by spilling it. Obviously that's not so with liquid metal, the proposition is inherently going to be spicier. My guess is that Sony are taking the approach - not altogether unreasonably - that all bets are off once a consumer is prodding at their silicon instead of the fans, heatsink, SSD or antennae (good god, at least they actually let you get at the cooling assembly without going through the loving mainboard this time around). My point with this is, with all the fun considerations in place around liquid metal it's in everyone's interests to never ever open that thing up if you can help it. And my point with that is, I absolutely cannot wait for the stories of people deciding to do it anyway.

Also, I idly wonder if there'll be some kind of RRoD/YLoD-scale scandal that turns out to arise from this insulating block not being quite as airtight as we hoped...

Finally, for a funfact, because I'm just that kind of a person, I actually took apart my PS4 Pro and replaced the factory paste with Conductonaut and surrounded it with a bunch of electrical tape in a crude approximation of what turns out to be exactly what Sony made with the PS5. I did this in the full knowledge that it would probably eventually brick the thing (if not immediately, if I did it right), but it turns out that three years later it's still going strong and doesn't seem to have degraded noticeably at all (not that I can directly test much of it). While I was at it I also swapped out the fan with one from a later iteration that was less whiny. Like many PS4 owners, I was very concerned about noise.

Fun afternoon.

So those are all interesting writeups. Let me try and discuss some of your concerns (which are mostly concerns about liquid metal in today's environment)

Sony's hermetically sealed option shouldn't have any evaporation so that's not an issue. There's foam to insulate and there's a gap around the unit to allow for expansion.

Reports sounds like they're using nickel, not copper so no issue of erosion there. I have to assume they're not stupid enough to let the metal come in contact with anything that can be corroded.

And from what it sounds like, the two years Sony worked on this was not just the design but also the specific mixture to use as well. This is not gonna be something they get a deal on and use it (in the past people do agree it feels like the thermal paste used on the cpu on like ps4s, ps3s, xboxes and so on can vary in terms of quality), it's most likely something they're gonna need a specific order/mixture of.

So in short, I don't think this is gonna be something that requires maintenance and should easily last 10+ years and we'll be on ps6s by then.

But yeah agreed it's gonna be funny hearing/watching people decide to open it up to replace it anyway and they gently caress it up somehow. There is no way they'll be able to get a good seal as the original factory setup, which is most of the concern about this set up.

Ineffiable fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Oct 8, 2020

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug
What is the best way (if any) to get updates on stock for the console? I managed to grab an XBox Series X pre-order from costco this morning by following @Wario64 on twitter, but I'm far more interested in grabbing a PS5, I need some Demon's Souls remake.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Linux Nazi posted:

What is the best way (if any) to get updates on stock for the console? I managed to grab an XBox Series X pre-order from costco this morning by following @Wario64 on twitter, but I'm far more interested in grabbing a PS5, I need some Demon's Souls remake.

wario tweets the links faster than anybody i know of. but even pouncing on it you are fighting for the scraps that the bots left behind. he's been posting links that you can't get to from searching on the store sites yet. i got my ps5de order in to amazon from one of his links. dunno if it will come on time but at least i know someone will eventually be sending me one.
retailers really need to institute a lottery or something to cut out the underhanded buyers that find the hidden store links and hit them before anyone else can idk.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

More next gen upgrades.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rukriHmlR4U

Mortal Kombat 11 Ultimate. Includes all DLC characters, Aftermath expansion, runs at 4K with "improved visuals, loading times" and cross-generational compatibility "for select modes." MK11 and MK11 Ultimate owners on PS4 get a free upgrade to a PS5 version and has cross-play across all consoles for select modes.

For Honor getting multiple PS5 backwards compatibility updates. At PS5 launch the game will run at 4K with improved visuals, and a month later an update will drop that boosts FPS to 60. Free carry over to PS5 for existing PS4 owners so if you got it on PS+ a year ago you're good to go.

Real hurthling! posted:

wario tweets the links faster than anybody i know of. but even pouncing on it you are fighting for the scraps that the bots left behind. he's been posting links that you can't get to from searching on the store sites yet. i got my ps5de order in to amazon from one of his links. dunno if it will come on time but at least i know someone will eventually be sending me one.
retailers really need to institute a lottery or something to cut out the underhanded buyers that find the hidden store links and hit them before anyone else can idk.

Yeah this is what the Japanese are doing and I hear while it's disappointing to lose it's a lot more fair.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug

Real hurthling! posted:

Thanks, I'll keep an eye on his tweets then.

I don't care if I get one on actual release day, but I'd like to have it before the holiday. And yeah I feel like bots would be an easy thing to counter, but it doesn't really benefit retailers to "fairly" distribute the sales so long as the sales are made.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

Amazon did that for the PS3 (which turned out to be totally unnecessary within about a week), I don't know why they didn't bring it back.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

It's $149.99 for 500GB, $229.99 for 1TB or $449.99 for 2TB if anyone was wondering

Slightly more expensive than the 1TB Xbox cartridge but to be fair it's a lot faster

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
More importantly, that's just the price for brand new top of the line hardware; a year or two from now, there will be a hell of a price gap between whitelisted and proprietary

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

That too

I wonder if Sony will allow firmware updates for validated SSDs to be distributed through the PS5, it's fairly common for the firmwares to have teething issues and needing to swap it into a PC to update would be a pain

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
I just want a blu ray player and the ability to play all dark souls games going forward. I’ve never had a PlayStation, only an Xbox 360.
Is this console right for me and how long am I going to have to wait to buy one?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Dear Watson posted:

I just want a blu ray player and the ability to play all dark souls games going forward. I’ve never had a PlayStation, only an Xbox 360.
Is this console right for me and how long am I going to have to wait to buy one?

Yeah PS5 should have you covered

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

Dear Watson posted:

I just want a blu ray player and the ability to play all dark souls games going forward.

Either console should be fine, the XSX also plays blu-rays.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

Storm One posted:

Either console should be fine, the XSX also plays blu-rays.

Cool guys thanks.

I’m Kinda leaning towards trying out the ps5 because I never really liked the Xbox.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

Dear Watson posted:

Cool guys thanks.

I’m Kinda leaning towards trying out the ps5 because I never really liked the Xbox.

Demons Souls won't be on Xbox if you are including that in with Dark Souls.

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

Dear Watson posted:

Cool guys thanks.

If you're interested in Blu-rays and Dark Souls, you should get the PS5, as you'll also be able to play Souls-adjacent games Bloodborne and Demon's Souls.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Dear Watson posted:

you'll be able to play all of them except elden ring which ceased to exist last month.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

Baggot posted:

If you're interested in Blu-rays and Dark Souls, you should get the PS5, as you'll also be able to play Souls-adjacent games Bloodborne and Demon's Souls.
^ this, if by Dark Souls you meant "FromSoft-developed, Souls-like games", the PS5 would be ideal as between itself and PS4 back-compat it covers all of them at the moment.

Dark Souls and Sekiro are Namco and Activision respectively but Demon's and BB are Sony-owned and will never appear on any other console and probably not even on PC.

At least not until MS buys Sony shortly after the all but confirmed SEGA acquisition, of course.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Dear Watson posted:

Either console will play Elden Ring, Sekiro, and hypothetical DS remasters but only PS5 will have Demon's Souls and potential Bloodborne poo poo.

edit; beaten verily

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
Thanks everyone! Now I just gotta figure out how to
Buy one. And yeah I want demons souls. I never got to try that one out!

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

What the gently caress is this? I ordered from eb games Australia right as they went live.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Dear Watson posted:

Thanks everyone! Now I just gotta figure out how to
Buy one. And yeah I want demons souls. I never got to try that one out!

If you figure it out, let me know. I've been keeping an eye on storefronts off an on since pre-orders went live and I can't ever catch any.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

What the gently caress is this? I ordered from eb games Australia right as they went live.

extremely high demand meets covid logistical crunch

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

It could be that they just changed the name of the item in the database for upcoming orders and didn't want to duplicate the sku

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Sentient Data posted:

It could be that they just changed the name of the item in the database for upcoming orders and didn't want to duplicate the sku

Still says launch shipment in order history so hope you're right.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

owned

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Have to pray they mean their 2021 fiscal year.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Wow. PS5 is $150 more expensive there than in the US... But the controllers are $20 cheaper, so I guess it evens out.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

DualSense Charging Station

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Detective No. 27 posted:

Wow. PS5 is $150 more expensive there than in the US... But the controllers are $20 cheaper, so I guess it evens out.

That's a charging station which is $30 for us.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Detective No. 27 posted:

750 AUD is like 540 USD.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

Cicero posted:

750 AUD is like 540 USD.

Includes gst.
E: loving idiot phone poast

mod edit: removed personal information

Somebody fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Oct 9, 2020

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Quantum Shart posted:

Includes gst.
E: loving idiot phone post

Ehhh Tony don't doxx yourself. Looks like they did gently caress up and it's still a launch console. Wonder how many emails they got.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Thank you mods I'm a moron