Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Significant reduces the resale value of stolen Apple products though, which makes them less of a target for theft

It's always fun to read the comments section on places like fb marketplace when somebody tries to fence a locked apple product

Bunch of people walking around with $1000 mobile devices every day, yet theft is almost non-existent; the lack of black market for Apple devices probably prevents less e-waste though lack of theft than your situation creates

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
How can I play a YouTube video but completely disable all touch inputs? I tried guided access mode but it leaves a white filter over the entire screen and I don’t want that.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!
Did they remove the ability to split the on screen keyboard in iOS 14? I can enable the floating keyboard but there is no option for splitting it.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yes

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Crayvex posted:

Did they remove the ability to split the on screen keyboard in iOS 14? I can enable the floating keyboard but there is no option for splitting it.
Works for me.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!
...but how? I only have the floating option.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Lol it's dumb but pros don't have split keyboard option

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

DangerZoneDelux posted:

lol

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Wait, is that only the new Pro? Mine is the 10.5” 2017 Pro (the 2nd gen one).

My normal keyboard looks nothing like that screenshot though, there’s no tab or caps lock keys.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Question Mark Mound posted:

Wait, is that only the new Pro? Mine is the 10.5” 2017 Pro (the 2nd gen one).

My normal keyboard looks nothing like that screenshot though, there’s no tab or caps lock keys.

Sorry yes it's the 11 and 12.9 pros. Sadly I do this for a living. I didn't link the article but in the tiniest print in the world the official apple article says not available on 11 and 12.9 pros. I think I tried to get the article updated but they don't like calling attention to lack of options

thedavid
Oct 29, 2004

Starting on 9/11 this year I've 'season passed' Keith Olbermann on my tivo.

Also, Golden Girls.

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Sorry yes it's the 11 and 12.9 pros. Sadly I do this for a living. I didn't link the article but in the tiniest print in the world the official apple article says not available on 11 and 12.9 pros. I think I tried to get the article updated but they don't like calling attention to lack of options

This is the truth. I went from a 10.5 pro to a 2020 11 pro and was SO disappointed at the lack of split keyboard.

Just ridiculous.

16-bit RDRAM
May 31, 2020

by angerbeet
There are a few third party split keyboards but they suck

I will die mad about this

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Curious if there's even any unofficial rationale for it

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

DangerZoneDelux posted:

lol the mini has a split keyboard

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

sourdough posted:

Curious if there's even any unofficial rationale for it

Gotta sell those keyboards.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Are ipads finicky about what chargers they can use? I got a 2018 pro used the other day and it seems like out of all my usb c power bricks from chromebooks and the like only the official adapter is actually making it charge.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Not defending the lack of split keyboard on pros (the gently caress?), but I've never had a problem with the mini keyboard shoved off to the side where my thumb can use it as a swipe keyboard. The only time swipe sucks is when you're entering a lot of text that doesn't consist of real words for it to find in the dictionary.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Chin Strap posted:

Are ipads finicky about what chargers they can use? I got a 2018 pro used the other day and it seems like out of all my usb c power bricks from chromebooks and the like only the official adapter is actually making it charge.

Can't say I've had any issues with my 2020 pro. I've used a couple different Chromebook chargers I had laying around, and a couple third-party 30w+ bricks with random USB-C cables without any issues.

Might be worth checking if the USB-C port has accumulated some poo poo?

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

Vegastar posted:

Can't say I've had any issues with my 2020 pro. I've used a couple different Chromebook chargers I had laying around, and a couple third-party 30w+ bricks with random USB-C cables without any issues.

Might be worth checking if the USB-C port has accumulated some poo poo?

I checked, nothing. Known good chargers it ignores, official adapter immediate start to charge.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah that’s strange, I tried both my 2018 and 2020 Pro and they both use 3rd party just fine, sorry friend :(

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Chin Strap posted:

I checked, nothing. Known good chargers it ignores, official adapter immediate start to charge.

does this include when the device is unlocked and on?

also, does the battery go up even if it "doesn't charge" and there's no lightning bolt, but it's left screen off and plugged in for a few hours?

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

mediaphage posted:

does this include when the device is unlocked and on?

Yes.

quote:

also, does the battery go up even if it "doesn't charge" and there's no lightning bolt, but it's left screen off and plugged in for a few hours?

Will test this now. I'm saying it doesn't charge because the lightning bolt doesn't come on when I'm looking at it.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug
OK after a minute screen off and plugged in I hear the charging sound when I turn on the screen it is indeed listed as charging. Weird it isn't instant.

Thanks all for the debugging.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

We're looking at getting the new iPad air 4 with the standardized USB-C charging, mostly as a "remote control for the house" for all the smart home/smart baby poo poo; I think we have two baby things now that will only work with the app - not my decision as merely the dad, but whatever. Also so we don't have to install/manage all these apps/passwords on both sets of in-laws, babysitters etc etc and nauseum, they can just pick up the pink unlocked ipad on the coffee table and immediately get to work

The new iPad air 4 comes in 64 and 256gb models

If I'm not planning on doing CAD or running a small business from this thing, is there any reason to shell out the extra $150 for the bigger 256gb memory thing or whatever. If we can get away with the 64gb model without too many regrets that would be awesome

I think we will have 15-20 apps on the iPad and that's about it? I haven't used an ipad newer than a 2012 model that lives on our boat and it's basically incompatible with everything so no idea how much space these things use in this ecosystem anymore

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah that should be fine TBH.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Well never mind, apparently we're getting the iPad pro with the keyboard and the pen and it's my wife's new laptop, replacing her '13 macbook air; raise your hand if that wasn't obvious

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Hadlock posted:

Well never mind, apparently we're getting the iPad pro with the keyboard and the pen and it's my wife's new laptop, replacing her '13 macbook air; raise your hand if that wasn't obvious

I assume you mean you're getting the pro in addition to another ipad, unless she wants to leave her new laptop out and unlocked for in laws/babysitters?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

sourdough posted:

I assume you mean you're getting the pro in addition to another ipad,

Yep! This just became a $2,000 conversation

On the plus side I'm off the hook for Christmas gift this year

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Hadlock posted:

Yep! This just became a $2,000 conversation

On the plus side I'm off the hook for Christmas gift this year

lol congrats

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Yeah you’re making a good choice here. Just make sure to double your wife’s order for yourself.

Also get 256g on the third iPad.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I do computer toucher poo poo on my Thinkpad in the house; the 180° true lay flat display hinge is awesome for using on the couch. Now that apple has fixed their keyboards, the laptop display hinge is the last thing holding me back, it really does make a tremendous difference

My wife mostly wants one for spreadsheets, photo and video editing etc

We will probably get a third ipad for the boat when they release the mini with a USB-C port, but we're not in any rush right now (and probably neither is apple)

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Hadlock posted:

I do computer toucher poo poo on my Thinkpad in the house; the 180° true lay flat display hinge is awesome for using on the couch

i'm gonna need some kind of diagram or illustration for this because the only ways i can imagine this all sound dreadful

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Have you ever sat in bed with your knees up and rested the book on your knees

Basically if you fully unfold the laptop, the bottom of the laptop rests on your belt buckle/waist, and the screen sits at knee level. That's an extreme example

With any Apple laptop, there's a maximum angle you can keep your knees at, because the display can only go back so far, it's very limiting to how you can sit, and still keep the screen parallel to your face. There's no real limitation with Thinkpad screen hinges. It's a small, but critical detail. My work laptop is a rMBP but I can't really use it in bed or on a lounge chair because the maximum screen angle is uncomfortable.... I will see if I can do a diagram. It's not critical, but it's a major quality of life thing, like having a larger touchpad or a good keyboard

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Hadlock posted:

I do computer toucher poo poo on my Thinkpad in the house; the 180° true lay flat display hinge is awesome for using on the couch. Now that apple has fixed their keyboards, the laptop display hinge is the last thing holding me back, it really does make a tremendous difference

My wife mostly wants one for spreadsheets, photo and video editing etc

We will probably get a third ipad for the boat when they release the mini with a USB-C port, but we're not in any rush right now (and probably neither is apple)

I can’t imagine doing Serious Business spreadsheet work on an iPad to be honest. A regular laptop where you can quickly alt tab between windows and the Stack Overflow page that you’re copying equations from is infinitely better.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Hadlock posted:

Basically if you fully unfold the laptop, the bottom of the laptop rests on your belt buckle/waist, and the screen sits at knee level. That's an extreme example

With any Apple laptop, there's a maximum angle you can keep your knees at, because the display can only go back so far, it's very limiting to how you can sit, and still keep the screen parallel to your face. There's no real limitation with Thinkpad screen hinges. It's a small, but critical detail. My work laptop is a rMBP but I can't really use it in bed or on a lounge chair because the maximum screen angle is uncomfortable.... I will see if I can do a diagram. It's not critical, but it's a major quality of life thing, like having a larger touchpad or a good keyboard

???

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Hadlock posted:

And you're still able to use the keyboard almost vertical? Because that sounds fine for watching a movie or something but seriously uncomfortable for any productive work

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

my guy livin'

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

FCKGW posted:

my guy livin'

Basically this, but with a black fedora and more neck beard

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Boris Galerkin posted:

I can’t imagine doing Serious Business spreadsheet work on an iPad to be honest. A regular laptop where you can quickly alt tab between windows and the Stack Overflow page that you’re copying equations from is infinitely better.

I love my iPad for most of my use cases, but I'm an accountant and I'd quit and change careers if the iPad was how I had to do spreadsheets. The small keyboards are less than ideal, Numbers is a terribly limited spreadsheet program, and Excel on iOS is okay for simple stuff but (I think) you have to have a subscription in order to edit a spreadsheet on the iPad. You can muddle your way through simple spreadsheets, but I'd think long and hard about going all-in on the iPad if you spend much time working with big, complex spreadsheets.

vvvv EDIT: yeah it'll be fine for grocery lists and such, I was thinking more along the lines of business use cases

Blotto_Otter fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Oct 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah when I say spreadsheets, I really mean grocery lists, to do lists, monthly budget for personal finance and poo poo, not developing a new financial model to lease 737s to Amazon for black friday

We are heavy users of Google sheets for shared task lists etc