Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Two Salsas after a gravel ride in east Georgia:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Pretty sure those two bikes could carry that car

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

a foolish pianist posted:

Two Salsas after a gravel ride in east Georgia:

Where do you like to ride out in East Georgia? I'm willing to make the trip and I got a Stuntman that needs some gravel miles.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Coredump posted:

Where do you like to ride out in East Georgia? I'm willing to make the trip and I got a Stuntman that needs some gravel miles.

There's a ton of great gravel out south of Conyers near Mansfield, Shady Dale, and Monticello. I really like this route: https://www.strava.com/routes/28053401 (~20 miles, 1100ft) that I stole from a Jasper county cycling site and cleaned up a bit. Just in general, the Charlie Elliot Wildlife center area has a lot of great roads that run through the various hunting fields and fishing lakes.

There are a couple of other resources for ATL-area gravel:
- Gravel Happens: http://gravelhappens.com/
- Jasper County Gravel: https://reconjasper.com/cycling/gravelcycling/

Also, if you want to ride some gravel this fall, hit me up. I'm trying to rack up a bunch of miles in the next few months.

a foolish pianist fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Sep 28, 2020

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

I've acquired another mountain bichael. Technically got it last week but didn't finish assembling until this morning, so today is official NBD

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao
Excellent bike

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
This fall has been extra pretty.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Steve French posted:

I've acquired another mountain bichael. Technically got it last week but didn't finish assembling until this morning, so today is official NBD

good bike

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Report on new bike: totally living up to hopes and expectations. I ordered this as part of an N+2-1 operation, wherein I sell my 2015 SC 5010 and replace it with a bigger bike for getting rowdy and a hardtail for longer rides (...and also getting rowdy). The bigger bike I ordered (Ripmo) is way backordered, so I ordered this so that I'd still have a bike to ride while waiting for the Ripmo after the 5010 sells.

Because it'll be my only bike for the rest of fall, I went towards the trail end of the spectrum on the build rather than going for XC (so, 120mm fork instead of 100mm, 35mm ID rims, big chonking tires). Still feels great and quick enough for pedaling bits, but once I spent about 10 minutes getting used to it (have never actually had a hard tail MTB!), I was super comfortable hitting most of the same terrain I frequent around here at speed. More tiring than the 5010, but the steeper head tube angle felt like it helped keep the bike feeling stable at speed over rough terrain and around dusty berms. PRd a local 6 minute fast descent I've done like 20 times this summer by 10 seconds; most of that came from a flatter and partially uphill section, but I was still keeping pretty good pace with my best efforts on the full suspension bikes in the downhill parts.

And jumps are still awesome. Revive dropper is magic. I'm in love with multi-release on the XT shifters.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
What size tires are those? Looks like you don't have much room to spare. I had two MTBs for a while but couldn't stand the different feeling between the two. Brakes and cockpit not feeling the same bugged me. My current bike is 27.5 140f/120r, next bike I'll probably step up to the 140r range for a bit more descending capability.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

n8r posted:

What size tires are those? Looks like you don't have much room to spare. I had two MTBs for a while but couldn't stand the different feeling between the two. Brakes and cockpit not feeling the same bugged me. My current bike is 27.5 140f/120r, next bike I'll probably step up to the 140r range for a bit more descending capability.

2.6" on the front, 2.5" in the rear. Not much room to go bigger (and 2.6" is what Ibis says it'll fit), and I don't really have any interest in going any bigger than that anyway.

I have been jumping around between bikes a fair amount lately, between my 5010, my friend's Ripmo that I borrowed for a while, this DV9, and my wife's old rear end 2005 Heckler that I rode while my 5010s brakes were being replaced under warranty. The different feeling didn't bother me much, I'd get used to whatever I was riding within a mile or so typically.

Plus the Ripmo I have on order will be pretty much all the same components as this one aside from the frame. Ibis carbon bars, full XT groupset. Wheels will have the carbon version of the same rims, and i9 hubs instead of Ibis.

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003
Put new handlebar on the trail bike. Long time coming but wasn't the most important upgrade until now. More orange things! I don't know what other orange things I could do that wouldn't be either expensive or annoying as hell. Spokes maybe? I cannot true wheels. I love this dumb bike so much.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Orange valve caps!

Dope bike.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Cable housing, clearly.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
speaking of orange:

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
new road bichael!

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Ultegra with the flat pedals that somehow keep appearing in my house is throwing me for one.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

DELETE CASCADE posted:

new road bichael!
Nice bichael, it's so shiny

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Ultegra with the flat pedals that somehow keep appearing in my house is throwing me for one.

yeah i know sorry! need to put some clipless pedals on there, this is just temporary. ritchey makes look compatible pedals but they're out of stock and i prefer spd-sl anyway so i'll probably order some ultegra pedals

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I finally did it. I can say I've done all of the Silver Comet Trail in Georgia. I've been riding chunks of it here and there starting sometime last year I believe. Maybe even further back then that. Did the last chunk finally. I started in Cedartown and I know that's not a long ride by any means but it was the last segment I hadn't done up to this point.

Pics in Cedartown:

Somewhere along the trail:

At the border:

Officially in Alabama:

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx
Love it. Almost (almost) makes me miss riding in the South.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Bud Manstrong posted:

Love it. Almost (almost) makes me miss riding in the South.

Yeah the riding is nice, but then you're in the South.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
I do miss riding north Georgia and the rolling hills in the eastern part of the state. Not worth moving back but I usually try to grab a bike when I go home to visit.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

vikingstrike posted:

I do miss riding north Georgia and the rolling hills in the eastern part of the state. Not worth moving back but I usually try to grab a bike when I go home to visit.

You got some favorites you wouldn't mind to share? I'm always looking for new places to ride around here.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Coredump posted:

You got some favorites you wouldn't mind to share? I'm always looking for new places to ride around here.

Sure. What part of the state are you in?

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

vikingstrike posted:

Sure. What part of the state are you in?

I'm in Gwinnett but I've traveled out to Rutledge for the BRAG spring tune-up, Carrollton for the greenway around that city, down to Atlanta, etc. I'm willing to go a fair distance to check a place out.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Coredump posted:

I'm in Gwinnett but I've traveled out to Rutledge for the BRAG spring tune-up, Carrollton for the greenway around that city, down to Atlanta, etc. I'm willing to go a fair distance to check a place out.

Ah, cool. I moved from Georgia over 4 years ago, so some of this is rusty, but some of my favorite places to ride out there were:

1) The 3/6 Gap routes are the big climbs in north Georgia that most of the roadies do. These are "real climbs" and are worth doing if you never have. Wolfpen is probably the best of the bunch, Hogpen is pretty difficult from what I remember. This route doesn't do Brasstown Bald (the highest point in the state and a very tough climb up), but it's in the same area. There's also good climbing over in the Dalton area. And, for that matter, if you're in Dalton, Chattanooga is just another 45 minutes up the road.
2) For less climbing heavy riding, I rode a bunch in the Athens area. You can use Athens as a starting point and ride all over northeastern Georgia. I can send over some specific routes if you want ideas, but there are great rolling hills to the north (all the way up to Alto) and out to the east. Toward the south of town there are some good gravel roads that you can link up. If you've ever heard of the bike photog Jered Gruber, this is the area he lives in and hosts a good gravel group ride/race every year.
3) For a combination of (1) and (2), there's some stuff north of Rome worth looking at. In particular, the roads to the north of Fouche Gap (Tour of Georgia went over this a few times) and off of the Berry College campus (there's also some decent MTB trails here from what I hear, but I never rode them). You can do some big mile days out here in the rolling foothills leading into the bigger stuff in northern Alabama and Georgia.
4) I rode down south a bit, but its flat and pretty boring. Coastline is flat all over and while scenic isn't my favorite.
5) For MTB trails, there's great stuff in the northern part of the state. The Pinhoti Trail in the NW is good, the Russell (I think this is the name...) wildlife management area north of Athens is good, and then there are good spots around Atlanta too: Ft Yargo, Blankets Creek, etc.

a foolish pianist might be able to chime in too. I believe he's been doing some good gravel stuff in the Atlanta area and might have some suggestions.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Re: Georgia gaps: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2oEDdvvP7Y

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Dawn patrol :cool:

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Riding in Miami is not as bad as you thought, but also it’s not good.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back
Just bought my first single-speed bike because the frame was built 2 mins from my childhood home. Will re-put gears on this mutha unless I unexpectedly get super fit soon.

vv m.steel is m.real vv

Al2001 fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Oct 7, 2020

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
tips helmet, m’steel

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

My frankenbike in front of some buff bros

close up

squirrel eating pizza

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
My frankenbike in front of the tree that serves as my baseline, get-fit-ish standard for "I made it this far up the hill".
First bike commute for me in Armidale by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

First attempt to commute by bike, heck first real ride on a bike in 11 years.
https://www.strava.com/activities/4169640435
Point and laugh at my gasping, feeble response to a short, lovely, commute.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

ExecuDork posted:

My frankenbike in front of the tree that serves as my baseline, get-fit-ish standard for "I made it this far up the hill".
First bike commute for me in Armidale by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

First attempt to commute by bike, heck first real ride on a bike in 11 years.
https://www.strava.com/activities/4169640435
Point and laugh at my gasping, feeble response to a short, lovely, commute.

Nice, man. Thats a decent amount of elevation for that length of a commute. At least you get the descent on the way home.

PoorPeteBest
Oct 13, 2005

We're not hitchhiking anymore! We're riding!
Mukluking about today

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
Hero dirt season. Just getting moist enough before the leaves drop and gently caress everything up.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
film photos from Huracan and TNGA

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Oct 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoorPeteBest
Oct 13, 2005

We're not hitchhiking anymore! We're riding!

Bottom Liner posted:

film photos from Huracan and TNGA

What kinda camera are you using to get the Panavision?