Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I started looking around a bit and everything remotely close to what I used to enjoy is boiling down to “pick whose k8s install you want to orbit around”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

The Management posted:

I’ve got the niche skills that make me employable at like 4 companies.
Is "major outage incident response team" the sort of thing more than 4 companies have at this point?

These days I'm oncall only for giant incidents, the normal sorts of pages go to someone else. And I'm not sure most companies would even understand such a thing

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

The entire process being spread out over many, many weeks as you slowly drip through the interviews is really the worst part. My anxiety is off the charts.

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:

Any help would be thankful [cross-posted to sec gently caress thread as they know their poo poo as well]

e: answered in sec-gently caress.

Hirez fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Oct 7, 2020

ATM Machine
Aug 20, 2007

I paid $5 for this
So I've finally flip flopped enough on where I am to want to move on, I've got no career path, and the stuff I'm working on is causing me to stagnate. I'm finding myself doing more as a PM just keeping things organised from my side, a contractor, and a client because no one has a clue, and any dev work there is to do is so trivial that it's hard to have more work than a single day a week.

So I'm trying to work out the transition to applying for more lead-align positions when you're coming from a role of a senior developer that doesn't have a fully in-vogue skill set to leverage? I've been around for about a decade now with half of it an IT business owner, but most positions close seem to want fullstack .net/JS, where I've primarily been a C#/.Net developer for desktop, along with lots of niche esoteric stuff covering NoSQL/thrid party plugins/dev ops/system internals/whatever I needed to learn to get the job done, so naturally that sort of spread doesn't exactly light up eyes in my location (Queensland, Aus), and I feel like the previous owner experience is pushing me out of a bunch of potential roles as well when I mention it.

Do I basically just redo my resume to target leadership positions, remove the owner experience and reduce the focus on the tech side, then smash that search jobs button, or is it better to approach recruiters so they can better talk me up for that? I usually go through recruiters, but as it is, none of them tend to deal with positions up that high (which I assume is because most leads to stick around), so I'm getting the feeling I have to shift into a senior role somewhere else that does have that pathway to reach my goal. If that's the case, are there better questions to ask during an interview for that past, "What career options would be available to me as time goes on?"

Also I'm aware that this is approaching the dumbest time to find a new position, but I'm not looking super immediate, and definitely fine with a longer interview to job timeline if it gets me somewhere better which makes me think I should aim for bigger businesses that have that slower process.

I love being part 4 company niche group that can hire me, and none of them exist in my side of the world. Which is why I'm thinking I need to shift into more of a higher role so I can use my knowledge to guide others better rather than coming in for a niche job at a high price, and then quickly run out of work and drive because those problems I came in for weren't a result of them doing new or challenging things, but because of poor management poisoning everything.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

what do you mean by leadership? tech lead? being a manager? project/program management? CTO?

like, definitely tailor your resume to the job you want. if you think ownership stuff is hurting you, take it out. downplaying the fact that you know how to develop software seems pretty counterproductive if you're interested in managing software development teams. the narrative you want to spin is that you're already doing the job, but that they're calling it "senior dev" or whatever. if that isn't true, probably better to get some experience with the job to know what you're going after, but on the other hand yolo (just don't lie on your resume obviously, it probably wouldn't work out well and being a lovely manager is really bad for your DRs).

ATM Machine
Aug 20, 2007

I paid $5 for this

Achmed Jones posted:

what do you mean by leadership? tech lead? being a manager? project/program management? CTO?

like, definitely tailor your resume to the job you want. if you think ownership stuff is hurting you, take it out. downplaying the fact that you know how to develop software seems pretty counterproductive if you're interested in managing software development teams. the narrative you want to spin is that you're already doing the job, but that they're calling it "senior dev" or whatever. if that isn't true, probably better to get some experience with the job to know what you're going after, but on the other hand yolo (just don't lie on your resume obviously, it probably wouldn't work out well and being a lovely manager is really bad for your DRs).

sorry, I meant more tech/team lead, PM/CTO is way out of my personal league currently, but thanks for the idea to spin narrative that i'm already doing what i'm aiming for but its been crammed into the title i currently have.

i am a bit apprehensive about rolling into that lead/manager role and ending up as one of those poo poo managers because i end up out of my depth while i adjust to a new place/team, most of the time i just get the responsibilities because no one else will step up and organise things, without the formal recognition or understanding that i'm doing less dev planning stuff just so i can figure out what needs to be done

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
when you do something new you're always initially bad at it. as long as you're actively trying to improve don't worry about it imo

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

For companies that have Senior vs Senior 2 what's the difference generally? Is there any consistency?

I'm coming from a government department where there are no such titles (lol not even Senior) and I'm aiming for at least a Senior position but have no idea if I should be gunning for Senior 2.

This is for a Windows software research and development position, both user and kernel, focusing on cyber security.

I've been in a cyber security development role for over a decade and for the past 7 years I've been a Windows developer & vulnerability researcher, and have led several projects and workshops and shipped a dozen products and lead teams as large as six people. Is this Senior 1, or 2?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

titaniumone posted:

For companies that have Senior vs Senior 2 what's the difference generally? Is there any consistency?

there is no consistency, especially as the levels get higher. some places have no senior 2, and have principal or staff eng or other titles. some just have levels.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

titaniumone posted:

I'm coming from a government department where there are no such titles (lol not even Senior) and I'm aiming for at least a Senior position but have no idea if I should be gunning for Senior 2.

This is for a Windows software research and development position, both user and kernel, focusing on cyber security.

I've been in a cyber security development role for over a decade and for the past 7 years I've been a Windows developer & vulnerability researcher, and have led several projects and workshops and shipped a dozen products and lead teams as large as six people. Is this Senior 1, or 2?

senior vs senior 2 is like:

https://youtu.be/_gNu1h1mZ0g

vs

https://youtu.be/BBAtAM7vtgc

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

This fills me with dread

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
titles dont mean anything hth

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

titaniumone posted:

oldjob had senior 2 and it was a shitshow. it wasn't remotely consistent internally and it was basically impossible to get promoted to it without taking a round trip through the management ladder.

I've no idea what senior 2 looks like at a place that has a sane promo path. tbh I'd expect it to just be a higher payband based more on being there a while than actual work duties. the idea of "this is senior work" vs "this is senior 2 work" seems silly to me

asur
Dec 28, 2012
Unless all the roles have numbers then Senior 2 was likely added to give a promotion between Senior and whatever is higher and is likely to be 2-3 years after Senior.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Achmed Jones posted:

taking a round trip through the management ladder.

:wink:

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

lmao

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
also places w a sane promo path are a rounding error, peeps need to yotj it

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

bob dobbs is dead posted:

also places w a sane promo path are a rounding error, peeps need to yotj it

my company has a very calcified, formal promotion process and it is infuriating how you can just go around it by getting hired at a higher level. i'm gathering that this is not unusual for companies with calcified, formal promotion processes.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
if you are hire #5 and they grow 20x in 2 years you can prolly get spiffy job titles in a quick enough manner. or if you are in the executive fast track new grad programs that places have for plutocrat school peeps. otherwise forget it

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
afaict you can act if significant in-company pay raises dont exist

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
my boss is trying to tell me without saying it explicitly that he can't get me promoted this winter but he can get me the equivalent raise. yeah fuckin right buddy, you aren't going to get a 20% raise through the comp people. i think he actually thinks he can do it too, the poor guy.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

raminasi posted:

my company has a very calcified, formal promotion process and it is infuriating how you can just go around it by getting hired at a higher level. i'm gathering that this is not unusual for companies with calcified, formal promotion processes.

job hopping is often much more effective for raises and promotions than trying to get one in place.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

bob dobbs is dead posted:

afaict you can act if significant in-company pay raises dont exist

My org introduced an "objective" (lol) quarterly pay rise formula and cancelled it after the first round.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

The Management posted:

job hopping is often much more effective for raises and promotions than trying to get one in place.
internal promotions are basically good for improving your cv and getting a better job somewhere else, because they never come with a decent pay bump

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

Achmed Jones posted:

oldjob had senior 2 and it was a shitshow. it wasn't remotely consistent internally and it was basically impossible to get promoted to it without taking a round trip through the management ladder.

I've no idea what senior 2 looks like at a place that has a sane promo path. tbh I'd expect it to just be a higher payband based more on being there a while than actual work duties. the idea of "this is senior work" vs "this is senior 2 work" seems silly to me

Makes total sense. It's good to confirm that it's going to be completely arbitrary.

I think I'll be happy with either considering I've been in my current position forever and there is no performance or incentive pay, so I've had 1.5% cost of living raises and no other advancement for 8 years, because I'm an idiot!!!!!!!!!!

The lowest starting salary on the Senior tier is a 55% pay increase over my current job. If I include the lowest tier of equity (since it's a publicly traded company) then my total compensation increase is more like 100%. Not much to be disappointed about there.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
keep stacking those figgies

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
i think i’m getting an offer today. i’m hoping it’s enough to make quitting my current job a no-brainer but i haven’t been able to figure out what that number is.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
is mining always morally reprehensible? i know a lot of the misery in africa has been caused by resource extraction, and it has had some pretty bad impacts on america too.

is working for a tech company that is mining adjacent as bad as working for oil/military? my instinct is yes but maybe there's a way to mine without destroying the environment and the workers?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
w/o destroyingn environment, no

w/o destroying workers, yeah

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

Corla Plankun posted:

is mining always morally reprehensible? i know a lot of the misery in africa has been caused by resource extraction, and it has had some pretty bad impacts on america too.

is working for a tech company that is mining adjacent as bad as working for oil/military? my instinct is yes but maybe there's a way to mine without destroying the environment and the workers?

If it's mining bitcoins, kill you are self.

If it's mining conflict diamonds or tantalum, probably pretty questionable.

If it's mining metal or coal, meh it's probably fine.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Corla Plankun posted:

if you don’t have a problem with it then it’s fine for you.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Corla Plankun posted:

its near the oil side of the spectrum in most cases

google “company name” “country where they operate” and see if you can live with that

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

The Management posted:

if you don’t have a problem with it then it’s fine for you.

i'm too ignorant about it to have a problem with it, but i've seen things on leftist twitter about resource extraction in general being haraam

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
leftist twitter is a poor guide for life decisions

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

The Management posted:

twitter is a poor guide for life decisions

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

the job corla is talking about is actually making time tracking software for the children mining rare earth elements

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Achmed Jones posted:

the job corla is talking about is actually making time tracking software for the children mining rare earth elements

ahem they’re independent contractors

uber, but for coltan

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

web ui that calculates how many wheelbarrows they need to buy for mountaintop removal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Achmed Jones posted:

web ui that calculates how many wheelbarrows they need to buy for mountaintop removal

why bother with wheelbarrow when the valley is right there