Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

So I installed my SF750 today, and I've come to the conclusion that the loudest piece of hardware in my system under "normal" conditions is... the power supply. The only thing audible in the games I typically play is the PSU fan spinning up.

The 3080 FE is quiet even under load, and the CPU doesn't get anywhere close to the point where the noctua fans spin up to full speed. The coil whine I had with the SF600 appears to be gone though. Protip, don't run your power supply to the very edge of its rating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.
Been pretty impressed with the RTX 3080, managing to peak at 80°C under sustained full load even in a Fractal Design Node 202.

I thought I'd spin up Assassin's Creed Odyssey, and it runs at about 50 fps at max settings. Pretty sweet, I thought, but for laughs I also benchmarked it at 1080p and 1440p. Surprisingly, I got the exact same results.

Does this mean it's time to upgrade something else? Here are the important specs of my current build:

Intel Core i5-7600
16GB DDR4-2400
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 FE
1TB Samsung 840 EVO

I did notice that AC: Odyssey pinned all four cores of my CPU at 100% the entire time I was playing, peaking the temp at a lolsome and somewhat worrisome 83°. No other game does that, not even RDR2.

edit: the heck? I thought I posted this in the PC building megathread :downs:

HappyCapybaraFamily fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Oct 8, 2020

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

Warmachine posted:

So I installed my SF750 today, and I've come to the conclusion that the loudest piece of hardware in my system under "normal" conditions is... the power supply. The only thing audible in the games I typically play is the PSU fan spinning up.

The 3080 FE is quiet even under load, and the CPU doesn't get anywhere close to the point where the noctua fans spin up to full speed. The coil whine I had with the SF600 appears to be gone though. Protip, don't run your power supply to the very edge of its rating.

I’ve found the SF750 fan remains pretty quiet around 400W or so but once I hit around 450W it becomes noticeably audible.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

Been pretty impressed with the RTX 3080, managing to peak at 80°C under sustained full load even in a Fractal Design Node 202.

I thought I'd spin up Assassin's Creed Odyssey, and it runs at about 50 fps at max settings. Pretty sweet, I thought, but for laughs I also benchmarked it at 1080p and 1440p. Surprisingly, I got the exact same results.

Does this mean it's time to upgrade something else? Here are the important specs of my current build:

Intel Core i5-7600
16GB DDR4-2400
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 FE
1TB Samsung 840 EVO

I did notice that AC: Odyssey pinned all four cores of my CPU at 100% the entire time I was playing, peaking the temp at a lolsome and somewhat worrisome 83°. No other game does that, not even RDR2.

edit: the heck? I thought I posted this in the PC building megathread :downs:

If your ITX build can support a different CPU, then I would suggest more cores. Your RAM speed is a bit slow as well... I am running an i9 9900K and love to boast about my speed/timings:

I crammed that i9, overclocked RAM and a 1080 into my ~14L ITX case.

I tried to keep it on topic for ITX thread. :D

In all seriousness, it does seem like you are CPU limited. If that game means a lot to you and you have cash to spend on a new CPU, go for it. Also consider RAM speed increases when you make that change. Seems like you will probably need a motherboard after seeing the Intel 'family' page: https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/series/95543/7th-generation-intel-core-i5-processors.html

Modern game engines require quite a bit of cores.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
What case is that

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

CaptainPsyko posted:

What case is that

Sorry for the bait... it's a custom case from 2013. Compact Splash.

https://www.overclock.net/forum/50-small-form-factor-systems/1305343-scratch-build-compact-splash-14-5l-mitx-watercooled-3770k-gtx570.html
https://www.craftograph.com/portfolio/compact-splash/

quote:

Hardware Accommodations:
- CPU Block - Max. Height83mm
- Video Card - Max. Length269mm
- Video Card - Max. Length (with Front I/O Delete) 301mm
- Pump & Reservoir - Max. Height150mm
- Pump & Reservoir - Max. Width 64mm
- 240mm Radiator - Max. Dims.296mm L x 133mm W x 46mm D (if either PUSH or PULL 25mm fans are installed, not both)
- 120mm Radiator - Max. Dims.160mm L x 141mm W x 37.5mm D (if either PUSH or PULL 25mm fans are installed, not both)

Size:
- 290mm (H) x 170mm (W) x 310mm (D)
- 14.5 liters
- 15.7 liters

My 'build':

https://www.overclock.net/threads/compact-splash-brotherhood.1369708/post-28386820
https://www.overclock.net/threads/compact-splash-brotherhood.1369708/post-28388102

jink fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Oct 9, 2020

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I really wish I had the money, confidence and time to water cool my PC. Your system looks so loving amazing.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Intel Core i5-7600

I posted a similar question in the PC Building thread. Basically what I was told by multiple people that it's worth upgrading a 4 core processor if that's all you have.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

That's pretty dope.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

jink posted:

If your ITX build can support a different CPU, then I would suggest more cores. Your RAM speed is a bit slow as well...

Modern game engines require quite a bit of cores.

Yeah, I figured it was probably the CPU. I built the core parts of this build way back in 2017, so I'm not sure this can handle faster RAM :v: Also i7-7700s (the "best" CPU I can expect for this H270 mobo) are still surprisingly pricy today, so I'm just gonna go for a newer generation CPU+mobo+RAM (currently considering a Ryzen 7 3700x and CL16 3600MHz RAM of some kind).

Your build is pretty sweet, too :)

SalTheBard posted:

I posted a similar question in the PC Building thread. Basically what I was told by multiple people that it's worth upgrading a 4 core processor if that's all you have.

Yeah, I pasted my post there too, and I was also told it was a classic case of CPU bottlenecking. They were also worried about my ~80° peak temps on the GPU and CPU :haw:

... Hopefully those temps are kind of okay for a Node 202 :ohdear:

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

It's sad how expensive used and older CPUs/motherboards are. Especially considering it's always a hit or miss that they will work.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Yeah, I pasted my post there too, and I was also told it was a classic case of CPU bottlenecking. They were also worried about my ~80° peak temps on the GPU and CPU :haw:

Yeah, those temps are perfectly fine. You can try undervolting the GPU a tad, if you haven't already.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

B-Mac posted:

I’ve found the SF750 fan remains pretty quiet around 400W or so but once I hit around 450W it becomes noticeably audible.

I'm realizing what I'm hearing isn't fan noise but rather probably coil whine out of the 3080. I need to do more testing to confirm though.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003

Warmachine posted:

I'm realizing what I'm hearing isn't fan noise but rather probably coil whine out of the 3080. I need to do more testing to confirm though.

My 3090 FE has some coil whine at 350W and becomes very audible at the max power limit of 400W. I’m currently running an undervolt of 1830 MHz @ 800 mV. Reduces to coil whine to where it’s inaudible where I sit and dropped power consumption to between 280W and 310W with the same performance as the stock 350W power limit.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

SalTheBard posted:

To add to this, aren't the Ubisoft open world games specifically notorious for choking on 4c/4t processors?

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Arzachel posted:

Yeah, those temps are perfectly fine. You can try undervolting the GPU a tad, if you haven't already.

Yeah, I've tried undervolting a few times. Peak temperature doesn't seem to change, but it does seem to reduce how often it hits the peak. Managed to mirror Optimum Tech's settings of 893mV @ 1920MHz too.

edit: whoops, nevermind. RDR2 benchmark crashed. Back to the drawing board

edit²: All right, got it stable at 912mv @ 1920MHz. For now ...

HappyCapybaraFamily fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Oct 9, 2020

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
i thought i was out of the SFF game after the nr200 turned out to be nonexistent, but the loving NZXT H1 is apparently in stock on Newegg and on their own site now, and it's weirdly tempting https://www.newegg.com/matte-white-nzxt-h1-mini-itx/p/N82E16811146330 (if you're not familiar, it costs $400 because it comes with a PSU and AIO cooler, though even with that there's a fair debate to be had over whether it's worth it)

seems like a 3070 should fit in it, right? maybe the reason it's not already sold out is that the 650W PSU is underpowered for the 3080 and the space concern, and everyone's all hyped on 3080s rn. or maybe people have moved on from the H1, or no one noticed that it's in stock and it'll be sold out 15 minutes from me making this post

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

abraham linksys posted:

seems like a 3070 should fit in it, right? maybe the reason it's not already sold out is that the 650W PSU is underpowered for the 3080 and the space concern, and everyone's all hyped on 3080s rn. or maybe people have moved on from the H1, or no one noticed that it's in stock and it'll be sold out 15 minutes from me making this post

Many 3070's should fit, yeah. Hell, many 3080's fit, and even some 3090's: compatibility matrix

650W is just fine for a 3080 as long as you're not planning on trying to overclock it to the MAXXX and pair it with a 10900k you're also planning on clocking to the moon. For a 3070 it's borderline overkill.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

DrDork posted:

Many 3070's should fit, yeah. Hell, many 3080's fit, and even some 3090's: compatibility matrix

650W is just fine for a 3080 as long as you're not planning on trying to overclock it to the MAXXX and pair it with a 10900k you're also planning on clocking to the moon. For a 3070 it's borderline overkill.

aight. the bad news i've discovered from this is that my current card doesn't fit due to the width. this is a big bummer because i would like to be able to upgrade everything but the card and use my 1060 until i can get my hands on a 3070 (which could be like, february)

no h1 for me, i guess :smith:

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Oct 9, 2020

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

SalTheBard posted:

I really wish I had the money, confidence and time to water cool my PC. Your system looks so loving amazing.

I purposely built this machine to prevent 'tinkering'... It is such a colossal pain in the rear end to build I RARELY touch it. The i9 was installed in December 2019 and it took me 2-3 months to get the CPU to stop engulfing in flames.

To prepare for the i9 I re-ran the tubing. That takes 2-3 days of work. My hands are ripped into shreds every time.

To get a sense of that, I have an Evernote with my logs of trying to tame the temps and fans: https://www.evernote.com/l/ABOovM2Lc0ZAwZBc-5OEu4pMt449zujbHYc/

I recommend people stick with an AIO that can fit, optional GPU block. Stay happy.

Romes128 posted:

That's pretty dope.

I appreciate that! I take it for granted.

Yeah, I figured it was probably the CPU. I built the core parts of this build way back in 2017, so I'm not sure this can handle faster RAM :v: Also i7-7700s (the "best" CPU I can expect for this H270 mobo) are still surprisingly pricy today, so I'm just gonna go for a newer generation CPU+mobo+RAM (currently considering a Ryzen 7 3700x and CL16 3600MHz RAM of some kind).

Your build is pretty sweet, too :)

Yeah that's a painful position. The Ryzen will do wonders for you.

I went from a 4690k ITX build, found a used 4790k. I was pretty happy with that but I saw the i9/mobo combo on reddit (used) and thought "hmm, I bet gaming could be better!". I don't feel that games are that much better, but the i5 was a limitation. The i7? Not so much. IPC hasn't improved THAT much. Time Spy went from 8590 to 10670 (all CPU improvements, no FPS improvements, really).

At this point it feels like having more than 4 cores with 'strong' IPC is the ticket. Then it is back to GPU... and then back to other components like RAM timings, saturation/speed of the bus, blah blah blah.

Thank you for compliments.

You 80C peak temps make my i9 laugh. After the multiple hundreds spent on a block (and more efficient rads), delidding + Liquid Metal application, direct fans on VRMs and RAM, tweaking of every voltage setting and fan scaling.... I am able to finally get UNDER 80C. I was hitting thermal shutdown previously. I think you are OK. :)

[EDIT]: Evernote was having issues... but my i9 adventures of tweaking settings for clocks/temps/etc: https://www.evernote.com/l/ABOovM2Lc0ZAwZBc-5OEu4pMt449zujbHYc/

jink fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Oct 9, 2020

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

abraham linksys posted:

i thought i was out of the SFF game after the nr200 turned out to be nonexistent, but the loving NZXT H1 is apparently in stock on Newegg and on their own site now, and it's weirdly tempting https://www.newegg.com/matte-white-nzxt-h1-mini-itx/p/N82E16811146330 (if you're not familiar, it costs $400 because it comes with a PSU and AIO cooler, though even with that there's a fair debate to be had over whether it's worth it)

Wasn't that $350 before? drat.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

abraham linksys posted:

My nr200p came today (I had an Amazon notify and the third party seller was only 10 bucks over so I went for it) and I maybe possibly managed to order a 3080 from Best Buy. It's okay though the sf750 I ordered has an eta of 10/27 for it to arrive at the warehouse.

I wanted a nzxt h1 but the iffy thermals, compatibility and the included 650w watts power supply made me opt not to.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Oct 9, 2020

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
IIRC, the H1 has a really tough time venting hot air from the GPU compartment in it's stock form (believe there are reports that replacing the front glass panel with a vented panel like the sides helps with this). For 3080s I'd be just as concerned with temps as whether or not they fit.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

The NR200 / P honestly seems the way to go if you can find one, or the NCase M1 if price is no issue. I’m tempted to get one myself until the FormD case comes out but I can just throw an ITX board in my 750D for now.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
E: nm

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003

ijyt posted:

The NR200 / P honestly seems the way to go if you can find one, or the NCase M1 if price is no issue. I’m tempted to get one myself until the FormD case comes out but I can just throw an ITX board in my 750D for now.

I’ve been using the Ncase M1 for over a year but swapped to the NR200 to fit the 3090 FE. The NR200 is essentially my default case recommendation now due to its cost and hardware compatibility, it’s such a great case.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Played a couple hours of RDR2 yesterday, and CPU temps peaked at 94° :gonk: I've decided to go with the ID COOLING IS-60 + Noctua NF-A12×15 PWM for my next build in this case.

Looking at the specs for the IS-60, it claims to work for CPUs with a TDP up to 130 W. Given the Node 202 I'm working with, though, I'm guessing I should still stick to a 65 W TDP CPU if I'm not changing the case, right? I should not be looking at the Ryzen 7 5800X (105 W TDP) if I just have to have 8c/16t, right? :sweatdrop:

I don't suppose anyone has a crystal ball and can tell me if there will eventually be a Zen 3 8c/16t CPU with a 65 W TDP?
:negative:

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
Even if there isn't you might still be able to set PPT like with Zen 2

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Played a couple hours of RDR2 yesterday, and CPU temps peaked at 94° :gonk: I've decided to go with the ID COOLING IS-60 + Noctua NF-A12×15 PWM for my next build in this case.

Looking at the specs for the IS-60, it claims to work for CPUs with a TDP up to 130 W. Given the Node 202 I'm working with, though, I'm guessing I should still stick to a 65 W TDP CPU if I'm not changing the case, right? I should not be looking at the Ryzen 7 5800X (105 W TDP) if I just have to have 8c/16t, right? :sweatdrop:

I don't suppose anyone has a crystal ball and can tell me if there will eventually be a Zen 3 8c/16t CPU with a 65 W TDP?
:negative:

5700x and 5600 non-x coming out March next year just in time to rain on Rocket Lake's parade would be a surprise to no one but there's no official word. You can manually limit the TDP through bios though.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Ah cool, thanks. Now I'm on the fence on whether I think I can wait on word of a 5600/5700X or if I want to just get the 3700X.

Thanks everyone! I'm learning a lot in this thread :)

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ah cool, thanks. Now I'm on the fence on whether I think I can wait on word of a 5600/5700X or if I want to just get the 3700X.

Thanks everyone! I'm learning a lot in this thread :)

You'd still have to do some undervolting to get the 3700x under control in a Node 202. It still gets very hot even tho AMD says its a 65w chip.

I stuck the 3700x in my Node 202 as soon as I got it and wasn't happy with the temps with a Noctua L9a.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Romes128 posted:

You'd still have to do some undervolting to get the 3700x under control in a Node 202. It still gets very hot even tho AMD says its a 65w chip.

I stuck the 3700x in my Node 202 as soon as I got it and wasn't happy with the temps with a Noctua L9a.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I was also considering the L9a, but based on another post I'm gonna see if the ID COOLING IS-60 + Noctua NF-A12×15 PWM configuration will help.

This is probably also a stupid choice, but I already put an RTX 3080 FE in this thing, so drat the torpedoes I guess :haw:

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Dropping by this thread since I couldn't find a better fit. I would like the opinion of someone who knows a bit about affordable mini PC.

I'm looking for a mini PC at or below 200EUR. It's sole purpose is to stream YouTube, Netflix, Spotify while attached to a TV. We're only running 1080p but 4K would be nice in case we upgrade.

There is plenty of choice from Amazon but I'm having trouble separating the good ones from the bad ones. Many have AliExpress-sounding brands (ACEPC, Minisforum, what have you) which by itself isn't a problem, but this then goes together with odd product pages. That is, wonky product descriptions, glowing reviews that show basically the same sequence of unboxing pictures, eerily similar in-action-footage, and in one case a 'customer' complaining that they weren't paid the agreed amount for their review.

Who knows something about this market segment?

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender

Lord Stimperor posted:

Dropping by this thread since I couldn't find a better fit. I would like the opinion of someone who knows a bit about affordable mini PC.

I'm looking for a mini PC at or below 200EUR. It's sole purpose is to stream YouTube, Netflix, Spotify while attached to a TV. We're only running 1080p but 4K would be nice in case we upgrade.

There is plenty of choice from Amazon but I'm having trouble separating the good ones from the bad ones. Many have AliExpress-sounding brands (ACEPC, Minisforum, what have you) which by itself isn't a problem, but this then goes together with odd product pages. That is, wonky product descriptions, glowing reviews that show basically the same sequence of unboxing pictures, eerily similar in-action-footage, and in one case a 'customer' complaining that they weren't paid the agreed amount for their review.

Who knows something about this market segment?

Is there a particular reason you want a pc for this? The use case you described is a perfect fit for a dedicated streaming device. (Roku/Shield/FireTV).

It looks like the Nvidia Shield TV is around 150 EUR and is the best option available for these types of devices.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Krailor posted:

Is there a particular reason you want a pc for this? The use case you described is a perfect fit for a dedicated streaming device. (Roku/Shield/FireTV).

It looks like the Nvidia Shield TV is around 150 EUR and is the best option available for these types of devices.

Oh I didn't realize these existed, my knowledge was stuck on 2009 HTPCs so that's where I went looking.

I'll have to see whether these can also stream content from random websites but they probably can, at the very least you can use them to stream content from your mobile device so it should be fine. Thanks for mentioning this!

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GhFSSLp-mE

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I'm still kinda dubious of the FE style in sandwich cases tbh. I'd rather go for an AIB if I were going for case like that.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

ijyt posted:

I'm still kinda dubious of the FE style in sandwich cases tbh. I'd rather go for an AIB if I were going for case like that.

You can't. The FE is the only card that's strictly sticking with the two-slot height limit. You might be able to wedge a ASUS TUF or EVGA XC3 in there, as they're only slightly taller, but any other AIB is far too big for that case.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

DrDork posted:

You can't. The FE is the only card that's strictly sticking with the two-slot height limit. You might be able to wedge a ASUS TUF or EVGA XC3 in there, as they're only slightly taller, but any other AIB is far too big for that case.

It's a 3-slot case.

Hence the 3090 that fit in there. IDK what 3090 AIBs are like size wise but I should have clarified that I was talking about the 3080 in my post, my b.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

ijyt posted:

It's a 3-slot case.

Hence the 3090 that fit in there. IDK what 3090 AIBs are like size wise but I should have clarified that I was talking about the 3080 in my post, my b.

It's a modifiable case--you either get a 2-slot GPU side and reasonable space for a CPU cooler, or a 3-slot GPU side and miniscule space for a CPU cooler. If you want to stay with the 2-slot GPU setup, your 3080 options are quite limited--FE, TUF, XC3. If you do the 3-slot setup, then yeah, you can fit some other cards in there.

It looks like a lot of the 3090 AIBs aren't much different in size from the FE, and in fact some of them are actually thinner, so they'd fit even better. Obvious exceptions for fatty thiccs like the effectively 4-slot Auros cards, of course.

But yeah, I think you're right that if you're gonna do a 3080 in the 3-slot configuration, you'd be better off with one of the AIBs with more aggressive cooling capacity.