Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Did someone say crushing despair?!

Scary Gary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

I KNEW those kids from Rex Morgan were up to no good!!!!

those darn millennials and their covid parties

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
Watch out hotel guy, she might know Bimbo Karate!

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Huh. I'm going to be honest, I was actually 100% expecting this be be "she's trying to help her friend hide from an abusive boyfriend" or something like that.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Julet Esqu posted:

It's clear that Team Evans have never read a recipe from a phone because if they did they'd know that these things don't start with an instruction to sharpen your knife, but with a lengthy essay about their childhood in the snowy mountains and how this soup always made them feel like home or whatever and also the actual soup will be bland and flavorless because the recipe was written for moms to pour down their picky-rear end children.

Hi i'm a hobbyist home cook and i'm furious about this stupid comic strip

Like a Santoku is particularly exotic or in any way markedly different from a standard chef's knife

you broke my grill posted:

"Hi here's a picture of our god-awful daughter snarling at us after we said no Covid parties in OUR house young lady!!! don't give her a room"

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Pastry of the Year posted:

I'm pretty sure I say this about three times a year in these threads, but boy, do I love Popeye.

:same:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Things Team Evans knows nothing about:
-college
-jobs
-human interaction
-healthy relationship dynamics
-children
-college students
-cooking

(not an exhaustive list)

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Haifisch posted:

Things Team Evans knows nothing about :
-college
-jobs
-human interaction
-healthy relationship dynamics
-children
-college students
-cooking

(not an exhaustive list)

it's really baffling to a level where i have to wonder what their lives were like. what sort of creepy bubble-world persisted across two--maybe three--generations to produce this outlook on human behavior?

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 10/8/00

I like what Darby did with the middle panels here.

Brenda Exposition 8/14/43

Is this the third or fourth time Messick has tried to liven up an infodump by having Brenda take a bath and get dressed while talking?

Smokey Stover 3/20/38

Edge of Tackling

"No, not my plasma ball from Spencer's Gifts!"

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Why do these two dickheads have these vegetables? I went back to the start of the week to check and Les just showed up with them and said "TJ knows someone who has a garden" but doesn't explain how or why he ended up in possession or what he's expected to do with them. I feel like TJ's going to show up after they've all been cooked and eaten and demand to know where his vegetable are, but that makes no sense - because it doesn't make any sense for Les to have them in the first place! :psyduck:

Selachian posted:

Brenda Exposition 8/14/43

Wait, what? I'm not sure any of this makes sense.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

----

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Classic Kevin and Kell (February 24-28, 1997)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolly_(sheep) -- "Dolly's existence was announced to the public on 22 February 1997. It gained much attention in the media."

(You best believe she'll be a character in the strip.)

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

love 2 get my kit off and go into public with only the back of my boyfriend's neck for modesty

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

I initially read as a weirdly specific Modesty Blaise reference.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
If K&K was the only Holbrook comic I knew of the women's magazines strip would still make me roll me eyes a little bit knowing how often OtF loves to go to the "Dethany is so much better and more unique than other women who just like normal girly things" makes me actively annoyed at it.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Man it must have sucked having to draw everything from memory and not being able to Google Image Search "bandsaw".

Somebody fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jul 25, 2022

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

~Coxy posted:

Man it must have socked having to draw everything from memory and not being able to Google Image Search "bandsaw".
So that's the secret behind cow tools

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Tiggum posted:

Why do these two dickheads have these vegetables? I went back to the start of the week to check and Les just showed up with them and said "TJ knows someone who has a garden" but doesn't explain how or why he ended up in possession or what he's expected to do with them. I feel like TJ's going to show up after they've all been cooked and eaten and demand to know where his vegetable are, but that makes no sense - because it doesn't make any sense for Les to have them in the first place! :psyduck:

TJ's a prick who inserted himself in Tiffany and Dez's conversation when he overheard them talking about their kitchen and vegetable garden. He started acting like they'd be cool letting him get free vegetables or the use of Tiffany's huge kitchen, despite the fact that Tiffany hasn't even said yes to it. Presumably he got those vegetables off Dez offscreen, so at least there's a thread of thought in this.

Now everything about the kitchen, and why Les has the vegetables? That poo poo is nonsensical. TJ wanted to cook Paella in Tiffany's kitchen, so why did he even give the vegetables to Les? He's also the manager of Luann's family's restaurant, which has a perfectly functional kitchen, so there's no reason to cook in someone else's kitchen. And if making Paella is supposed to be really messy, then he's a dick for wanting to do that in Tiffany's kitchen and forcing her to clean up after him.

Mikl posted:

Classic Kevin and Kell (February 24-28, 1997)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolly_(sheep) -- "Dolly's existence was announced to the public on 22 February 1997. It gained much attention in the media."

(You best believe she'll be a character in the strip.)

It's amazing how these five strips each have their own different flavors of wrong/hosed up. Holbrook was completely a trashfire on fire for this week.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

I'm pretty sure I say this about three times a year in these threads, but boy, do I love Popeye.
The old Popeye is surprisingly good, I like it.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

:golfclap:

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Julet Esqu posted:

It's clear that Team Evans have never read a recipe from a phone because if they did they'd know that these things don't start with an instruction to sharpen your knife, but with a lengthy essay about their childhood in the snowy mountains and how this soup always made them feel like home or whatever and also the actual soup will be bland and flavorless because the recipe was written for moms to pour down their picky-rear end children.

What is the Evans' fascination with that abrupt, list-style dialog? It shows up a lot in Luann? Is it supposed to sound cool?
Also you can tell that this is a "haha the kids don't know what's good" because there's a Santoku knife joke.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

FrumpleOrz posted:

Kevin & Kell

Holbrook, drawing attention to the fact that Kevin is somehow still running an ISP out of his basement is not a great plan. How the hell did that even work, anyway? Did you shell out for like a T1 and several phone lines and let people modem in or something?

:hmmyes:

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Zerilan posted:

If K&K was the only Holbrook comic I knew of the women's magazines strip would still make me roll me eyes a little bit knowing how often OtF loves to go to the "Dethany is so much better and more unique than other women who just like normal girly things" makes me actively annoyed at it.

I'm pretty sure Holbrook was making a joke about perfumed scent strips in women's magazines here, not "women's magazines are stinky garbage."

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Probably the most effort Frode has put into anything in over 20 years.

E: I'm not making GBS threads on it, it's an awesome tribute.

Lodin fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Oct 9, 2020

Angular Cyrus
May 29, 2007

everything is so much harder than it looks
King Aroo 3/4/54

Mopsy 3/24/43

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moomin and the congregation of tiny background characters

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (February 21, 2009)

Arlo and Janis Classic (February 21, 1999)

Garfield Classic (February 21, 1989)

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

~Coxy posted:

Man it must have sucked having to draw everything from memory and not being able to Google Image Search "bandsaw".

It looks like a cross between a scroll saw and a bandsaw

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Kennel posted:

Mandrake

Hell yeah! gently caress him up, Metal Man!

Lodin posted:

Probably the most effort Frode has put into anything in over 20 years.

E: I'm not making GBS threads on it, it's an awesome tribute.
Nothing gets a boomer going as the death of a musician in one of his favorite dad-rock band.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Dick

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Can't wait to eat that puppy

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

These Mary Steele-focused strips are pretty intensely sad and uncomfortable.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Tiggum posted:

Yeah. The whole reason TJ went vegetable picking in the first place was because he wanted ingredients to make some fancy-pants dish that I can't be bothered to go back and check what it was. [edit: amigolupus has reminded me it's paella.] I figured maybe he gave the veggies to Les to hold onto until cooking time, but why do that instead of keeping them in his own home? Or at his kitchen at the Cafe he co-owns? Or in the fancy kitchen he's pressuring his employee Tiffany to let him use? And if he doesn't want Les to do anything with the vegetables, why not tell Les that? So maybe he is cool with Les using the veggies and he's just giving his second-least favorite employee vegetables from somebody else's garden because...???

1. Commenting on how somebody's diet is going, especially in a negative way, if they haven't specifically invited you to do so is a poo poo-rear end move and you are an enormous dick.
2. gently caress you, Ed.

I wonder what the specific level of food knowledge is that you can't identify basic veggies on sight, but you know that cutting onions makes you cry and you are confident about following a recipe for veggie soup.

The GC commentariat are scandalized that Bets is being friendly with a man who is not her boyfriend, btw. Evidently this is what counts for flirting if you are a Luann fan?

Julet Esqu fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Oct 9, 2020

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
1. they're going to bone down
2. he's going to put the onion skin in the soup

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

SubNat posted:

Moomin and the congregation of tiny background characters

This is just adorable.

F Minus

Mark Trail

It's kind of neat this storyline is wrapping up just when the new artist starts next week.

Mary Worth

Boy, I don't see why she is hesitant to marry him. He's taking all this so well and with such maturity.

The Phantom

"But that's none of my business."

Pooch Cafe

you broke my grill posted:

I KNEW those kids from Rex Morgan were up to no good!!!!

Is a covid party just a party that is happening during this, the Age of Covid, or is it some kind of themed party, like a 80s party or costume party?

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise

Next week: new adventure!