Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

This and the "I'll keep drinking that garbage" are his most dril tweets, but I'm open if anyone wants to challenge me on that one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Failed Imagineer posted:

This and the "I'll keep drinking that garbage" are his most dril tweets, but I'm open if anyone wants to challenge me on that one

drat your dad gave you good brain? It's called genes

I don't know if that counts because party of it is quoting someone else

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

ewiley posted:

I think you can get people on board with M4A if it was rebranded to be something more, uh conservative-friendly I guess.

The War Against Diseases!

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005
Against my better judgement I actually listened to Rupar's breakdown of Trump's phone call to that dingus Bartiromo's show and...it's just sad. This is so bad for us in so many ways.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
https://twitter.com/Brown_SPH/status/1314199332606955520

I think something that hasn't been mentioned enough is that COVID isn't mostly a big city disease like it was in the spring and early summer and how the geographic spread has likely shifted perception among voters. I think old folks in particular are likely to be much more sensitive to local TV reporting about what's going on near them and this map shows how the south and then the plains states have finally gotten their big hits.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

whydirt posted:

I think something that hasn't been mentioned enough is that COVID isn't mostly a big city disease like it was in the spring and early summer and how the geographic spread has likely shifted perception among voters. I think old folks in particular are likely to be much more sensitive to local TV reporting about what's going on near them and this map shows how the south and then the plains states have finally gotten their big hits.

This struck me too, when I watched Fauci's MIT lecture. It's very evident when you see some of his test positivity slides.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J38QN1vnSO0

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

CornHolio posted:

The War Against Diseases!

poo poo, this is going to go down Idiocracy-style, but if that’s what it takes I guess

M4A: The Sickness Mutilator!
Brawndo(tm) brand carbon sequestration: IT’S GOT WHAT PLANTS NEED (CARBON)
UBI: Literally Murdering Homelessness!

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Pleasantly surprised to see my county (Allen county in Indiana, where Fort Wayne is) has managed to keep it together this whole time despite the chuds here who don't follow procedures. It's a nice reminder that at least a good portion of us have at least some percentage of our poo poo together despite being a city.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
The fact that a UN organization got the Nobel prize instead of Trump will definitely not annoy him one bit. Nosireebob he’ll take it like a champ :allears:

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I live in Louisiana and while some people have their poo poo together there's also people who scream MUH FREEDOMS and refuse to wear a mask or make any changes whatsoever. It's one of the reasons we started pretty high (Mardi gras), and we stayed pretty high. My parish is kinda small but we still lost 98? people. 3800 cases. State's lost like near 6k though.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

DoJ has argued persuasively in front of other judges that Trumps tweets aren't actually orders despite what they say. This one will be no different.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I still keep an eye on the stats on a roughly daily basis and holy gently caress this does not look like a thing that's even going away on a long-tail sort of decline

nerox
May 20, 2001

Data Graham posted:

I still keep an eye on the stats on a roughly daily basis and holy gently caress this does not look like a thing that's even going away on a long-tail sort of decline

Trump put all our eggs in the vaccine basket day one and now we are on Mr. Covid's Wild Ride forever.

I figure I will be wearing a mask in perpetuity anytime I am not at home at this point.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

You know the cyberpunk future where everyone wears masks and we're run by corporations and madmen while we live our lives online is a lot less interesting than authors made it out to be

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

BigglesSWE posted:

The fact that a UN organization got the Nobel prize instead of Trump will definitely not annoy him one bit. Nosireebob he’ll take it like a champ :allears:

Imagine if it was Greta Thunberg who won :allears:

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

stillvisions posted:

Semi-serious question here - is there any obligation to publicly reveal they've invoked the 25th? Like could they quietly invoke it and the public would be none the wiser? I mean, nobody in the WH can keep a secret, but wondering if they could effectively shadowban the President if they were truly scared of him and didn't want to incur his wrath or the wrath of his followers.

Dude, anyone who thinks Pence and Trumps cabinet are going to 25 Trump are the crazy ones. This is the stuff they've wanted for decades and now they have someone who is going to make a play to turn the country into a straight up oligarchy and enough rigged support that it can't just be ignored. They can see demographic changes as well as anyone and they know it's now or never.

The governor of Texas just mandated that there will be only one ballot collection box for a county with a population larger than Wyoming, Vermont and Alaska combined. That if you want to hand in your ballot in person there is only one office you can do that in for, literally, millions of people. This isn't mild nudging the rules to skew a result, it's straight up 'gently caress you and your constitution and the law and democracy'.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

ImpAtom posted:

You know the cyberpunk future where everyone wears masks and we're run by corporations and madmen while we live our lives online is a lot less interesting than authors made it out to be

That's just because we're not main characters.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

ImpAtom posted:

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Data Graham posted:

Yep, the virus is probably endemic now and will never go away until there is a vaccine. Even then it probably won't go away as much as become more sporadic.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
That image gives an ultra coward like Trump far too much credit.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

There Bias Two posted:

That's just because we're not main characters.

Main characters in Gibson books often, maybe usually, have lovely, violent lives, from Case to the main woman in Peripheral

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Flayer posted:

That image gives an ultra coward like Trump far too much credit.

Plus, as we all know Trump can't drive.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

wilderthanmild posted:

Yep, the virus is probably endemic now and will never go away until there is a vaccine. Even then it probably won't go away as much as become more sporadic.
You know what really drives me nuts, is here in Australia the anti-lockdown people now like to say (among other arguments), “even if we eliminate COVID from Australia, it will still exist in other countries, what are we going to do, close the borders forever?!”). gently caress all the governments that did nothing (including the elements in our state and federal governments here that tried to do nothing and were dragged kicking and screaming into a reasonable COVID response).

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

It should be him in the truck instead just yanking on the horn or something

Othin
Nov 20, 2002

Hair Elf
https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/08/politics/ohio-injunction-ballot-boxes-election/index.html

quote:

A federal judge on Thursday blocked an order from Ohio's secretary of state that would have required counties in the state to install ballot drop boxes just at the local election office, allowing additional drop boxes to be placed in areas that need them.

I wonder if this gives any chance of something similar happening in Texas?

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012

Residency Evil posted:

Can’t wait for trump to rail against... the world food program?

It's not a question of "if," it's a question of "when," and the answer to that is "later this morning."

And oh goodness will it be whiny.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

whydirt posted:

Also how the initial red areas (ie. NYC and Detroit) get locked down and then moderated, turn yellow, and all that red just washes all over the non-locked down areas like crazy.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Othin posted:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/08/politics/ohio-injunction-ballot-boxes-election/index.html

Supreme Court will probably overturn it. They’ve been overturning all of these decisions.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
If Trump loses the election (and let's say, the House and the Senate) what can the Republicans/Trump actually achieve between the election and inauguration day?

(I mean apart from throwing a tantrum and spoiling for a coup)

I'm not terribly familiar with that 'lame duck' period (I'm in the UK).

Can they still confirm ACB? I guess Executive Orders are still a thing, but what scope do they have? Can Trump still go around pardoning all his mates?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

They got Newman to do a fun little video on mailing your ballot in early

https://twitter.com/politvidchannel/status/1314534911827562496?s=19

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

If Trump loses the election (and let's say, the House and the Senate) what can the Republicans/Trump actually achieve between the election and inauguration day?

(I mean apart from throwing a tantrum and spoiling for a coup)

I'm not terribly familiar with that 'lame duck' period (I'm in the UK).

Can they still confirm ACB? I guess Executive Orders are still a thing, but what scope do they have? Can Trump still go around pardoning all his mates?
They will absolutely confirm ACB if they hadn’t already. Trump can obviously issue a bunch of executive orders, but they hold the longevity of eggs and Biden would likely reverse them all. And of course maybe get a few more nazis on lower level courts. For extra pettiness, trashing the White House...although with it being covid hot spot I’d say Biden’s transition would have to upend the place to sterilize it anyways.

We’re extremely lucky to have the house, as there would have no doubt been a North Carolina gently caress You flurry of bullshit laws to hamper Biden and the freshman congress critters.

7of7
Jul 1, 2008

Darko posted:

Also how the initial red areas (ie. NYC and Detroit) get locked down and then moderated, turn yellow, and all that red just washes all over the non-locked down areas like crazy.

I haven't checked the dates but it sure looks like you can pinpoint the stupid motorcycle rally washing positive cases from the disease reservoir in the south up through the midwest.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Darko posted:

I for one am thankful for the invisible virus shield erected by Northam and Bashear along the 36th parallel

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Framboise posted:

Imagine if it was Greta Thunberg who won :allears:

I was hoping for this honestly but I think they'll give it to her down the road.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Darko posted:

I was focused on my area (NY/the North East) and like when I realized that red was just taking over the entire rest of the country I became filled with anxiety like I was watching a horror film.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Data Graham posted:

Yet here in liberal hellhole Austin we're approaching late March early April levels:

It is really crazy how this has become a rural and Midwest disease.

Othin posted:

There is a chance. The Texas Supreme Court smacked down some Republicans trying to nix Abbott's early voting extension, and the fifth circuit has said that changes can't be made this close to the election. That said every day it takes to overturn his order is one where someone isn't able to easily drop off their ballot.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Shifty Pony posted:

It is really crazy how this has become a rural and Midwest disease.

I wonder what the connection could possibly be, alas we may never know. :iiam:

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

7of7 posted:

I haven't checked the dates but it sure looks like you can pinpoint the stupid motorcycle rally washing positive cases from the disease reservoir in the south up through the midwest.

I actually just checked that specifically and yes you can 100% see the aftermath of Sturgis (8/7/20)

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
Pelosi needs to pull the most recent stimulus offer and go back to the old figure that was $1 trillion higher. State that you have been studying the economic data that has come out recently and yada yada yada, this old offer is the only deal on the table, take it or leave it. Trump will cave, and the Senate GOP will cave because getting into a public spat with the Trump over an economic relief bill is the one thing that could make their prospects even worse.

On the presidential election front, Biden needs to hold firm on the debate dates. Trump backed out of the 15th, so they can do the town hall debate on the 22nd and that is it. Biden is out spending Trump in 73/83 media markets or something close to that. Trump needs the free TV time more than ever, so deny him the opportunity. Let Trump's desire to be on TV be satiated by calling in to Fox News and shooting himself in the foot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

John Wick of Dogs posted:

They got Newman to do a fun little video on mailing your ballot in early

https://twitter.com/politvidchannel/status/1314534911827562496?s=19

This was fun, but I was expecting a "publishers clearing house day" reference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7ApHL1xi9U

Forgot what a good actor he is!