Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

So that's what happened to Rime. Huh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

aphid_licker posted:

That is one hell of an accent

I've never heard anyone speaking in an american cornish accent before.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

AFewBricksShy posted:

Why the hell would they not have moved the scaffold planking? It still would have been dangerous, but they probably would have gotten away with it rather than getting brained by a ladder.

She's using an extension ladder that isn't even extended out all the way, kinda looks like if they had bothered to do that they wouldn't have even needed the "scaffolding" at all.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Pickled Tink posted:

Leperflesh recently convinced me to watch an ongoing series of videos about a dude rebuilding a century old sailing yacht, and the entire series appears to be OSHA as hell. This video, however, where he goes to a guys mill to get live oak is kind of insane. Link is timestamped to the machinery, but the whole series is worth a watch.

https://youtu.be/pH37Dep0cvU?t=720

So, uh, spoilers, but later he chops off the tip of a finger, and instead of humbly accepting that he should have been more careful and safety conscious all along, he goes on this rant about how "the world is too safe today" and "children should learn by chopping off more fingers" and "my only regret is that I have but ten fingers to give to the cause". And this goober takes volunteers to work for him for weeks on end! At the time he was even talking about taking hired help. Were they supposed to chop off their fingers to learn too?

I am where I am because I stand on the shoulders of giants. Not because I need to figure out everything from first principles myself, and run face first into every issue along the way.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Is he the woodshop teacher from UHF?

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Hexyflexy posted:

I've never heard anyone speaking in an american cornish accent before.

Hah, had no idea what a cornish accent sounded like and that is drat close, though I usually wouldn't associate that guy's accent with south Georgia. Honestly sounds like some folks I know from the inland part of the Carolinas

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Sirotan posted:

She's using an extension ladder that isn't even extended out all the way, kinda looks like if they had bothered to do that they wouldn't have even needed the "scaffolding" at all.

It would actually have been easier to extend the ladder than having to hoist it onto the bunk bed.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Azathoth posted:

Hah, had no idea what a cornish accent sounded like and that is drat close, though I usually wouldn't associate that guy's accent with south Georgia. Honestly sounds like some folks I know from the inland part of the Carolinas

Yeah holy poo poo that really is American cornish. Amazing.

Also still mad that people can't tell the fire 🔥 🚗 dude is saying "holy shiet... bed ess," as in "holy poo poo, bad rear end," not "piss" which isn't even a regular expletive in japanese afaik.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Wasabi the J posted:

Also still mad that people can't tell the fire 🔥 🚗 dude is saying "holy shiet... bed ess," as in "holy poo poo, bad rear end," not "piss" which isn't even a regular expletive in japanese afaik.

It sounds like a Cornish accent because the guy is from Bristol.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Bunk bed-ladder woman makes me ask a question I often have with some of these videos.

Why are you recording that?

I understand that a lot of what we see in this thread (and Shad thread) are dash cams, security feeds, stunts gone wrong, and in general people purposely recording weird/cool/scary/interesting things.

But unless you knew what you were doing was stupid/dangerous and you wanted to make a "Don't do this" video, why would you record doing mundane home repair? Guarantee that they were not setting up a helpful how-to video.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Wasabi the J posted:

what

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Deteriorata posted:

It sounds like a Cornish accent because the guy is from Bristol.

Aren't they talking about the american sawmill dude? Not the boat builder.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

Wasabi the J posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUz9xCTOPRw

I don't hear a B there at all.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Non-native speaker overemphasizes wrong consonant in contrast to their own language, news at 11.

You can hear two distinct syllables.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

CzarChasm posted:

Bunk bed-ladder woman makes me ask a question I often have with some of these videos.

Why are you recording that?

I like to think in cases like this her husband tried to tell her that is a bad way to attempt it but she wouldn’t listen. Told him to either help or get out of the way. So he sets up the camera hoping the YouTube views will pay for the medical care.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Accent chat is unsurprising considering the middle regions of the south above the navigable water line but not all the way into the mountains was settled mostly by Welsh undesirables. Watching some youtubes of people from cornwall yeah they sound just like my neighbors here in SC

e: like, p much the strip between I-85 and US-1

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Oct 9, 2020

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Wasabi the J posted:

Non-native speaker overemphasizes wrong consonant in contrast to their own language, news at 11.

yeah

PI-IIISSSSSSS

There's also no D sound, or any kind of stop at the end of the first syllable

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

brb, need to take a badass

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Wasabi the J posted:

wb stymie

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

MF_James posted:

I see at 32 seconds in Philly does dibs in winter just like Chicago, I had hoped that wasn't unique to our city.

In Philly people do it but it's frowned upon and neighbors will rat you out and the parking authority will come and take whatever you stuck there to hold your spot. It is a contentious issue.

On the other hand, people will just park right in the fuckin' middle of Broad street and that's universally acknowledged as okay.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xC6J4T_hUKg

And it's definitely "badass" not piss. You guys are dumb as hell like when have you ever exclaimed piss?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Wasabi the J posted:

And it's definitely "badass" not piss. You guys are dumb as hell like when have you ever exclaimed piss?

Oftentimes ESL folks like to exclaim any crude English word as an epithet, especially if they only know certain words and phrases and aren't fluent enough to string/generate curses like a native. Your theory would be far more likely if the people were heavily-accented native english speakers, but they aren't.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

it's piss

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
Is this what being gaslit feels like?

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Wasabi the J posted:

Excuse me sir - denying that Hendrix is singing "excuse me while I kiss this guy" is queer erasure and I demand a public apology.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Wasabi the J posted:

You guys are dumb as hell like when have you ever exclaimed piss?

when i saw this post

piiiiiiiiiiiiiiiisssssssssss

cantwellmuckenfuss
Mar 30, 2011

Azathoth posted:

Hopefully you can see this cause it's amazing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxVOIj7mvWI

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
The dress is gold, fools

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
The piss advocates are amusing, but the piss deniers are hilarious

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

`Nemesis posted:

The piss advocates are amusing, but the piss deniers are hilarious

Thinking about that squirt

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

mng posted:

Is this what being gaslit feels like?

No.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
https://i.imgur.com/W1RbIni.mp4

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Lol. Holy poo poo. That was not what I expected to happen. That had to have hurt so loving bad

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

So that's what a Vietnam flashback is like. *WHAMO*

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Man, Home Depot’s changed since I was there.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Byzantine posted:

Man, Home Depot’s changed since I was there.

asking people to wear masks is like an act of war now.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Reminder: Dont throw water on a grease fire :stonk:

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_qhyfu8VJ661r0uzl6.mp4

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

was certain that would end in skyrim

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Don’t those hoods have some kind of fire suppression or would that spray white crap all over so they would have to shut down the kitchen?