Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

"I LOST TWO HUN-DRED THIRTY-SEVEN POUNDS IN JUST 864,000 RELS WITH THE NEW SKARO DI-ET! I NOW CAN EX-TER-MIN-ATE IN MY FAVORITE LITTLE BLACK DRESS!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Beyond making them look like they aren't made of fiberglass and wood, I'm not sure why they keep on redesigning Daleks from the nu-Who series 1 look. For a show which celebrates its history, having them be the same enemies seems like a real strength.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Honestly I wanna see a redesign that goes all the way in making the Daleks really fearsome and sci-fi like and then to see an old, battered up Dalek take them all by itself and destroy them, while proclaiming the purity of the Dalek race, and *then* getting foiled by the Doctor, while Davros cries in the background about his new, obedient version of the Daleks being destroyed.

The story pretty much writes itself, and you can have a few of the weird Dalek survivors come back for later stories, as foil for the normal Daleks, or as props in some way.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Honestly I wanna see a redesign that goes all the way in making the Daleks really fearsome and sci-fi like and then to see an old, battered up Dalek take them all by itself and destroy them, while proclaiming the purity of the Dalek race, and *then* getting foiled by the Doctor, while Davros cries in the background about his new, obedient version of the Daleks being destroyed.

The story pretty much writes itself, and you can have a few of the weird Dalek survivors come back for later stories, as foil for the normal Daleks, or as props in some way.

For the hiding behind the couch factor that would be really interesting. Get a bunch of Robot Wars creators to imagine what they would do with a Dalek form factor given unlimited budget, and make something like that.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Riptor posted:

I'll tell Chris Chibnall to get your mom on the horn

She's been dead for 13 years, but thanks for trying, it means a lot

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Not a spoiler for the series, but for the BF audios. In this month's release "Thin Time", the Fifth Doctor has a sit down at the end with Jacob Dudman's Eleventh Doctor

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Davros1 posted:

Not a spoiler for the series, but for the BF audios. In this month's release "Thin Time", the Fifth Doctor has a sit down at the end with Jacob Dudman's Eleventh Doctor

he does a pretty good impression but it'll be cool when Matt Smith comes back one day (which I do think is very likely, he's obviously a young and busy actor right now but he consistently said how much he loved the role)

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Is he a busy actor? Since he left the show the only things I know him doing were the Terminator cameo, The Crown, and the Star Wars role that he ended up either not actually doing or getting cut in reshoots.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I think he expected to have a huge US career and Hollywood was more interested in Karen Gillan.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
He’s in the upcoming Spider-Man spin-off, Morbius, and his IMDB shows him working pretty consistently on film, tv, and stage. He was Patrick Bateman in American Psycho: the musical on stage in London a few years back and I wish I’d got to see that.

I fully expect him to have a Bill Nighy arc when he gets to his 50s.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
God I hope so. I still adore him. But he did hit some bumps trying to build his US career and Karen's one of the biggest stars in Hollywood right now. But then, even Tennant had trouble getting off the ground in Hollywood at first.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Wasn’t there some Frankenstein update that he shaved his head for? Did that ever come out?

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Wasn’t there some Frankenstein update that he shaved his head for? Did that ever come out?

are you thinking of the cumberbatch/jonny lee miller stage version

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Rhyno posted:

God I hope so. I still adore him. But he did hit some bumps trying to build his US career and Karen's one of the biggest stars in Hollywood right now. But then, even Tennant had trouble getting off the ground in Hollywood at first.

At first? He never got it going.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

He shaved his head for something else

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
It was an insane feeling to think the blue chick in Avengers kind of looked a bit familiar and then find out that was Amy Pond

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Davros1 posted:

He shaved his head for something else

A film directed by Ryan Gosling if I recall.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
If you think Doctor Who hasn't had the Doctor be active enough since Chibnall took over, bad news!

Revolution of the Daleks synopsis posted:

The Doctor is locked away in a high-security alien prison. Isolated, alone, with no hope of escape. Far away, on Earth, her best friends, Yaz, Ryan and Graham have to pick up their lives without her.

But it’s not easy. Old habits die hard. Especially when they discover a disturbing plan forming.

A plan which involves a Dalek. How can you fight a Dalek, without the Doctor?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Next season: cameos of the Doctor sitting in a chair far away from the action, occasionally watching the plot happen to other people.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
14th Doctor is just repurposed footage of previous Doctors on a computer screen saying awkwardly spliced lines that kinda fit the story.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

Next season: cameos of the Doctor sitting in a chair far away from the action, occasionally watching the plot happen to other people.

Did they find the missing episodes from The Celestial Toymaker?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Look who’s back!

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1330965593550295041

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/dwpageofficial/status/1332050555276029953?s=20

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Was obviously gonna happen at some point (no way they'd just leave us with the tease of him being in an episode but not meeting 13) but it's nice to have it confirmed!

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Chairman Capone posted:

Is he a busy actor? Since he left the show the only things I know him doing were the Terminator cameo, The Crown, and the Star Wars role that he ended up either not actually doing or getting cut in reshoots.

Wasn’t he supposed to be a young evil palp? That would have ruled

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

LionArcher posted:

Wasn’t he supposed to be a young evil palp? That would have ruled

Unclear, but I think the more likely rumor is that he was supposed to be Palp's son in TROS, and when the role was drastically reduced to basically a blink and you miss him shot in a flashback, they just recast him with a nobody.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Closer photo, looks like they’re going for the more classic uniform.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

The_Doctor posted:

Closer photo, looks like they’re going for the more classic uniform.

Not the first person to say it, but it looks medieval to me, like we're getting The Time Warrior Redux.

Although that doesn't explain why they're filming on a suburban street, I suppose.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday
I’m pumped. We haven’t had a proper Sontaran episode in so god drat long.

I really hope they can be real villains again instead of comic relief.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Wolfechu posted:

Not the first person to say it, but it looks medieval to me, like we're getting The Time Warrior Redux.

Although that doesn't explain why they're filming on a suburban street, I suppose.

I think that's just the style of the art right now for some costumes. The new Cybermen also looked medieval in set pics and then in the show proper you could hardly tell any difference.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Well that's us down to 1 companion again (Or is it, Captain Jack + Yas for 8 episodes anyone?)

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

J33uk posted:

Well that's us down to 1 companion again (Or is it, Captain Jack + Yas for 8 episodes anyone?)

What happened

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Burkion posted:

What happened

Graham and Ryan are leaving after the New Year's Special

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

J33uk posted:

I’d be up for that, more Jack is always welcome.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Davros1 posted:

Graham and Ryan are leaving after the New Year's Special

Well, they stuck it out two seasons at least. :smith:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Back in January, the news came out that Tosin Cole had been cast in a US drama series called 61st Street, so it was pretty inevitable he wasn't going to be around for much longer.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Yeah I thought this was already known.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Also, huh, that means he'd already filmed his last Who stuff by the time that news came out.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

More returning familiar faces.

https://twitter.com/workbenchoffice/status/1336417097291796488

https://twitter.com/spacethirteen/status/1336097643018248193

https://twitter.com/thomash90175738/status/1336082619688226820

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Interested to see what they do with the angels, this will be the first time they've appeared in an ep not written by Moffat won't it?