Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Man, I'm suddenly super glad I fell out of watching Rooster Teeth's stuff like 8 years ago. Holy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

nine-gear crow posted:

Man, I'm suddenly super glad I fell out of watching Rooster Teeth's stuff like 8 years ago. Holy poo poo.

Big same. It seems like every 4 months now we get a new drama bomb that reveals, yet again, RT as just a repugnant company. Remember just a few months ago, Levar Burton's daughter came out with stories of being treated terribly by them?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Dawgstar posted:

At this point I assume Mauler's fans just use his videos as a kind of white noise generator.

He has an active community and an entire subreddit where they post random videos and streamers to try and get mauler to "own" them. It had to increase its moderation against people actively harassing other communities.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Sydin posted:

The primary reason Snape has such a large and rabid fanbase is because he was played by Alan Rickman in the movies who was both a phenomenal actor who lent Snape a sense of gravitas he never had in the books and was also disarmingly handsome no matter how much the makeup crew tried to hide it. If they'd actually cast somebody who looked and acted the part of the dirty, greasy, whiney incel who is described in the books then I'd wager he'd be far less lionized a character overall.

Okay, now explain Draco Malfoy to me. He’s not a bad boy, dark, brooding, mysterious, damaged, or dangerous. He was just a little poo poo. One step above Joffrey Baratheon.

Oh god, does Joffrey Baratheon have a fandom? :gonk:

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Dr Christmas posted:

Okay, now explain Draco Malfoy to me. He’s not a bad boy, dark, brooding, mysterious, damaged, or dangerous. He was just a little poo poo. One step above Joffrey Baratheon.

He's rich.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dr Christmas posted:

No. Literally no one likes or wants to gently caress Joffrey Baratheon because he's and utter monster, and in fact based on Jack Gleeson's portrayal of him, Joffrey may well have actually been asexual. On the other hand, Draco had/still has people hungry for him in large part because of the small kernel of redeemability in his characterization, which he tends to shy away from in canon, but shipping fans will latch on to any reading that suits their needs.

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.

Dr Christmas posted:

If you ignore a bunch of inconvenient stuff you can argue that Draco was only that way because of his family and that basically makes him magic Romeo

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Nobody thirsts after Joffrey because on top of being a monster he looks, like, ten in a series aimed at adults. Presumably most of the Draco fandom were actual tweens.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Draco also gets clowned on fairly regularly and is (before book 6) never the "real" threat, which helps to undercut his shittiness.

Joffrey's first major action in the GoT leads to kid and a dog being killed.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
Quinn Curio did a video about Draco Malfoy that talk about the appeal and redemption of the character.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSP51vvBVys

Yhara Zayd- "Kairo & Pulse: Fear Lost in Translation"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4f4W8mfpBE

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

I think when you're young and spend a lot of time thinking about a work of fiction, it's easy to read into/invent details about a story and character that come to feel very real and true to you but only exist in your head. If you make art or fan fiction, similarly inclined people can all coalesce around this idea, and when the actual books only come out every 3 or 4 years your interpretation is going to 'win' in some circles based purely on consistent output.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
In addition to Draco's characterization in the books themselves playing into his "troubled boy with rough edges you could sand down with love" for tweens the same age as him, Cassandra Cain's Draco fanfics did do a lot to rehabilitate the character to a ton of readers, even if the fanfics themselves kind of imploded in the drama when the plagiarism was discovered.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Nuns with Guns posted:

In addition to Draco's characterization in the books themselves playing into his "troubled boy with rough edges you could sand down with love" for tweens the same age as him, Cassandra Cain's Draco fanfics did do a lot to rehabilitate the character to a ton of readers, even if the fanfics themselves kind of imploded in the drama when the plagiarism was discovered.

There's a deep cut DC comics joke here somewhere.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

my assumption from the books was that draco was still a rotten person but his development was in defining a clear line he wouldn't cross but i guess you could read pretty much anything into him, I don't think the books ever explored his thought processes beyond a surface level

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Villains are hot.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Nuns with Guns posted:

probably. thinking back on the books now(havent read them in decades) draco is just the rotten shithead rich kid with the poo poo head nazi dad who desperately wants to be like daddy so he buys into daddys insane race bullshit that he screams at home and at the wizard tv and when wizard hitler comes back, he joins up but realizes pretty loving quick that its scary loving insane bullshit and wants out. kids a loving shithead but you can see why he took it i guess if you feel generous. on him being a coward. well no poo poo, dudes a facist but also when the big wizard war or whatever happens. kids like 16/17 and he has seen people get tortured to death in his house and a friend of his get loving burned to death. pretty sure that would gently caress someone up.

i'll take that over snape who just comes off as weird pathetic rear end in a top hat who wanted to gently caress harrys mom and was fine with wizard hitler killing the KID and the dad as long as mommy lived and than sorta protects her son because he feels bad that he didnt gently caress mommy or whatever. i know i am taking the worst read but i think people only want to gently caress snape is because he was played by Alan Rickman which is much much more understandable reason.

Dr Christmas posted:

not that i know of but real school shooters and serial killers have plenty of weird fans who want them like that.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Oct 9, 2020

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Nuns with Guns posted:

I mean, the tween/teen experience can pretty much be summed up as "hormones and brain are developing in ways that adults are too conservative/ashamed to talk about with them, leaving them to their own devices to internalize and rationalize the sudden onslaught of feelings (or lack thereof) for people, and often fictional characters are a safe place to explore them".

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kappa Kaiju did a review of the Yandere Simulator demo. If you wish for time to be saved, if it's still really bad and Alex is still a giant creep but it almost fascinating at just how bad the game is turning out to be, especially from an optimization standpoint.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Sydin posted:

The primary reason Snape has such a large and rabid fanbase is because he was played by Alan Rickman in the movies who was both a phenomenal actor who lent Snape a sense of gravitas he never had in the books and was also disarmingly handsome no matter how much the makeup crew tried to hide it. If they'd actually cast somebody who looked and acted the part of the dirty, greasy, whiney incel who is described in the books then I'd wager he'd be far less lionized a character overall.

The movies do leave out a substantial portion of his backstory, though that arguably only makes him look more pathetic as an adult.
They don't even explain why he calls himself a halfblood prince. (other than it being the least important tie to the books title ever)
On the other hand the movies also give him some more small heroic moments, which I can imagine helped make him more popular.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i know i am taking the worst read but i think people only want to gently caress snape is because he was played by Alan Rickman which is much much more understandable reason.

That really isn't the case, though. He was popular as early as the first book, long before the films came out.

Of course, that early on his character was "the rear end in a top hat Harry suspects is trying to kill him, but who is revealed to have helped him out discretely at several points."

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
Am I nuts or does this kind of "why is this character attractive?" analysis only ever happen with male characters? I don't remember ever seeing anything like this Draco and Snape stuff about any female characters.

e: not just in terms of Harry Potter which I don't know much about, just fictional characters in general

Casey Finnigan fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Oct 9, 2020

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

That's cause book Ginny owns, at least from what I remember, whereas film Ginny was... there...

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I'unno, I never liked Ginny getting a "push" in the later books, it felt like Rowling realized she needed to give Harry a romantic interest now that Hermione was out of the picture and decided this way they could keep it all "in the family", so to speak. She isn't much of a character before that, as far as I remember.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

RE: Rooster Teeth drama. There really is a dril tweet for everything

https://twitter.com/dril/status/1068562113973514240

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Casey Finnigan posted:

Am I nuts or does this kind of "why is this character attractive?" analysis only ever happen with male characters? I don't remember ever seeing anything like this Draco and Snape stuff about any female characters.

e: not just in terms of Harry Potter which I don't know much about, just fictional characters in general

I mean, there's no shortage of people thinking their yandere animu waifu is the perfect girl for them.

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019

Dias posted:

I'unno, I never liked Ginny getting a "push" in the later books, it felt like Rowling realized she needed to give Harry a romantic interest now that Hermione was out of the picture and decided this way they could keep it all "in the family", so to speak. She isn't much of a character before that, as far as I remember.

Yeah, the Ginny thing was completely out of nowhere, and after his romantic attempts with one of the few PoC flamed out. Good thing JK Terfling doesn't have any other controversies or someone might read into that...

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

stillvisions posted:

I mean, there's no shortage of people thinking their yandere animu waifu is the perfect girl for them.

I feel like when people say "I like [such-and-such female character]" the response is never "WHY? HOW??" Like, as you wrote in your post, even yandere female characters (i.e. people who are written as creepy, possessive stalkers) are just yet another kind of massively popular stock "hot girl" character that goes largely unquestioned.

But when people say "[male character] is so hot" I feel like there's always comparatively more people reacting in disbelief and confusion. I've seen that with Draco and Snape, the Osomatsu-san dudes, Kylo Ren, Subaru from Re:Zero... Sometimes I even see people act like that with characters that are obviously designed to be hot, like the cast of FF15.

I could be wrong, though, and it's not like it's a big deal or any kind of important social issue or anything.
Frankly, nowadays, there are nearly as many pretty, colorful anime husbandos out there as there are anime waifus so maybe I'm just way off base.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

just like animal crossing characters, anyone who had sexy thoughts about the osomatsu-san characters belong in jail

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Did incelur Trekkies back in the day have trouble understanding why women thought Spock and Picard were hot?

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Alaois posted:

just like animal crossing characters, anyone who had sexy thoughts about the osomatsu-san characters belong in jail

do i make you horny baby yeah

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Casey Finnigan posted:

I feel like when people say "I like [such-and-such female character]" the response is never "WHY? HOW??" Like, as you wrote in your post, even yandere female characters (i.e. people who are written as creepy, possessive stalkers) are just yet another kind of massively popular stock "hot girl" character that goes largely unquestioned.

But when people say "[male character] is so hot" I feel like there's always comparatively more people reacting in disbelief and confusion. I've seen that with Draco and Snape, the Osomatsu-san dudes, Kylo Ren, Subaru from Re:Zero... Sometimes I even see people act like that with characters that are obviously designed to be hot, like the cast of FF15.

I could be wrong, though, and it's not like it's a big deal or any kind of important social issue or anything.
Frankly, nowadays, there are nearly as many pretty, colorful anime husbandos out there as there are anime waifus so maybe I'm just way off base.

There is probably something to be said about male-centered heteronormativity making the female examples the "normal". Nobody acted confused about dudes on the internet wanting to gently caress female Bowser.

don longjohns
Mar 2, 2012

Casey Finnigan posted:

It's because things women like are denigrated while things men like are not. See: The Beatles.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Casey Finnigan posted:

:yikes:

I totally understand being attracted to some cartoon and anime characters but the idea of being attracted to osomatsu-san characters is like being attracted to the Simpsons or family guy characters...The art style is not aesthetically appealing at all (at least not in that way). Why would anyone be into that? I don't get it.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I could see one of those being made for South Park or Shin Chan or something, that one's just inscrutable.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Casey Finnigan posted:

no! no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Casey Finnigan posted:

Woke dudes convince themselves that because society and its power structures still unfortunately favors men over women this means male characters depicted as ~problematic~ must be appropriately hated by everyone so as to avoid reinforcing these structures whereas it doesn't matter what hosed up things female characters do since they aren't setting a bad example in a way that matters

the fact that this somehow always seems to end up focusing on women who enjoy dark and broody weirdos like Kylo or Snape and not, say, other guys who openly love watching white supremacist characters or fascists or whatever is just a coincidence, for sure

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Jamie Faith posted:

I totally understand being attracted to some cartoon and anime characters but the idea of being attracted to osomatsu-san characters is like being attracted to the Simpsons or family guy characters...

One Fear

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

One Pain

CHO HENSHIN

KAMEN RIDER KUUGA

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

im standing on a coastal bluff, practicing my katas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Casey Finnigan posted:

Maybe it's just anecdotal but a lot of the weebs I've known get like that constantly. And it's not like "Why would you like that character, he's a weird creep?" it's always "Why would you like that character? She looks like a twelve year old boy?!" in reference to, say, a mass effect character who has a shaved head. Or "Why would you like her she's a dumb slut?" in reference to basically any character portrayed as an actual adult. With female characters it's almost entirely focused on really shallow bullshit like just calling them stupid, or sluts. Or picking one physical aspect of them and using it to cast aspersions on the character - like saying a muscular woman has to secretly be a man so if you like her then you're just gay and want to be hosed by a dude. It's really awful poo poo all the way down pretty much any time this kind of discussion comes up.