Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I am happy to have found you a way to bypass an obnoxious grind via the power of A Mechanics Error In Your Favor. Sadly that path is now closed to me unless I sell my absolutely maxed out freighter, replace it with a potato, and upgrade it all over again.

Mailer posted:

Open galaxy map, find a new sucker system with a higher buy, jump there and sell it all in one shot. Apparently the last patch they reduced the severity of market crashes but it'd probably still be bad enough to want to pick a new system each time. It's not like you're going to run out.

Honestly after 50+ jumps on this save I have yet to find a single system with a positive demand for the stuff. Is there a specific economy type where it's more likely? Plus, you know, the whole part about needing 80 free inventory slots in your suit to make it a single point of sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I never bother looking for a good price, I just sell my activated indium wherever, just not in the same place twice. When you are making a hundred million a day, the price difference from selling for plus or minus a few percent isn’t very meaningful.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

So I'm at the point where I have all the technology that I think I need to start setting up some proper farm/mining operations but Christ it's a bit overwhelming. I don't care about absolutely maxing out profits and productivity or anything, but seems like I'd be daft not to set up some basic mines/farms. Is there a simple guide to this anyone can recommend?

The video linked is a good reference that'll slowly run you through all the steps. Watch that, but keep in mind the following:

* Everything hooked up via supply pipe is a network. Supply depots that are touching, or in some cases just close enough, become part of the same network. I found out today mineral extractors have huge hitboxes that can make them collide as well. Since you can only have one resource on one network, space stuff out.

* Build save beacons. Mark hotspots with them. You will appreciate this when your game bugs out or crashes and you have to try to figure out where everything was.

* You've got a 1000u hard build range from your base computer. If you find a bunch of great spots use the distance to them to triangulate where to put your base computer.

* This game has a hard global build limit. If you're going to build a bunch of farms, keep them as utilitarian as possible or you're just going to get screwed later. Delete platforms after you're done using them, etc.

* Build vertical. Floating extractors/generators work just as well as stuff on the ground. Since the yield of a hotspot decreases as you move from the center this maximizes the good spots.

* If you want money, do Activated Indium. There's no point in doing anything else for cash. Mining is now considerably more effort, so take the time to find an S-class deposit for this.

* Set up a nice rusted metal extraction first. This refines into ferrite dust, which you will come to know as the most valuable commodity in the universe.

Most importantly - the Origins update nerfed farming, but they did it in a dumb way you can work around. Essentially as soon as you have more than seven mineral/gas extractors in a given storage network (even if they're at multiple hotspots!) you start getting hit hard with reductions to the yield for each extractor. This ramps up super fast.

In the case of a mine for something you don't particularly care about, you can just deal with this and get a yield of 4-5k/hr (how often do you need tons of Cobalt?) stacking stuff like always. In the case of a cash farm it's worth min/maxing to have multiple collection and storage networks for each lot of seven extractors.

Edit:

Thundarr posted:

Honestly after 50+ jumps on this save I have yet to find a single system with a positive demand for the stuff. Is there a specific economy type where it's more likely? Plus, you know, the whole part about needing 80 free inventory slots in your suit to make it a single point of sale.

I just look at the Buy value in the galaxy map. I found a -5% once and that's the best I've ever seen. My previous farm was designed explicitly to fuel 48 slots in my suit storage tab. I'm pretty sure if I actually wanted to cash in a full haul on this thing I'd need to delete a bunch of upgrades, but it was designed in spite due to a nerf and not due to actual financial need. :v:

Mailer fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Oct 10, 2020

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Wait you can see buy values on the galaxy map?? Time to go pay more attention to the words strewn amongst the pretty lights, I guess.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

There are percentages, but idk if higher values are better

Baby Proof
May 16, 2009

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Technology Merchant Dezhai is a multitool upgrade vendor who forgot what they were supposed to be selling, but didn't forget that they're supposed to be paid in nanites

I'm hoping to find his counterpart on planet somewhere selling multitool upgrades for 50-500 units

:stare: You can't show us that without mentioning what the sell screen looked like...

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost

Muscle Tracer posted:

i am never, ever doing a "survey a planet" nexus mission ever again. what a miserable loving slog.

Yah, so many of those nexus missions fit that description

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
I basically just do the kill pirates and kill monstrosities Nexus missions, the rest of 'em can get hosed.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

So I'm at the point where I have all the technology that I think I need to start setting up some proper farm/mining operations but Christ it's a bit overwhelming. I don't care about absolutely maxing out profits and productivity or anything, but seems like I'd be daft not to set up some basic mines/farms. Is there a simple guide to this anyone can recommend?

I found it’s helpful to save all the semiconductors, enriched carbon, organic catalyst, etc, that you get from missions. Then you just needs a couple biodomes for the plants to craft 1 or 2 fusion igniters per day. Helped me get familiar with the crafting system.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Baby Proof posted:

:stare: You can't show us that without mentioning what the sell screen looked like...

It was, unfortunately, the normal sell screen, tech upgrades only. Don't I wish I could have dumped my indium for nanites...

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Do different solar systems have different yeilds from plants and minerals? I recently dropped into a blue solar system and needed some carbon. A few clicks on some trees and I had a full stack.

Beet
Aug 24, 2003

ughhhh posted:

Do different solar systems have different yeilds from plants and minerals? I recently dropped into a blue solar system and needed some carbon. A few clicks on some trees and I had a full stack.

Different plants and rocks can have different yields, but nothing so extreme as filling a stack off of a few trees (assuming you're talking about 10k stacks in normal mode). There was a bug with the big update (fixed with the latest patch) that was causing some planets to give thousands of carbon and oxygen and such, though, so that's probably what you ran into.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
After finally unlocking all recipes i decided to sit down and work my way through the crafting grid.
Holy hell what a rabbit hole it is.
Every time you think you are close you realize you need another 3-4 step item.

Finally got 11 cranked out, not even sure its worth doing instead of just making a larger farm.

Also when i'm in Eissentam it says my home base is in the Hirulloco.
But when I'm there the galaxy map states Euclid.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Yeah the Hirulloco thing for Euclid is a new bug, I think it’s just the labelling that’s wrong, a visual bug.
Stasis devices look complicated at first but become routine the more you make them and get a workflow sorted out. Iridesite is easy to make in bulk so I keep a few stacks of that in storage. I also make stacks of thermic condensate, nitrogen salt and enriched carbon every time I harvest the gasses from my mines. Then to make the devices I harvest my farm, make the circuit boards and the living glass then grab a stack of each of the 3 enhanced gasses and make the semiconductors = superconductors = quantum processor then hot ice = cryo pump = cryogenic chamber, then grab a stack of iridesite and make the stasis devices. It doesn’t take long after a few times.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

OgNar posted:

After finally unlocking all recipes i decided to sit down and work my way through the crafting grid.
Holy hell what a rabbit hole it is.
Every time you think you are close you realize you need another 3-4 step item.

Finally got 11 cranked out, not even sure its worth doing instead of just making a larger farm.

Also when i'm in Eissentam it says my home base is in the Hirulloco.
But when I'm there the galaxy map states Euclid.

Hell yeah i'm literally 2 blue prints from making 5 stasis chambers. It also pays to raid depots and get those mineral deposits because they give you a ton of poo poo you need for this. I'm mad because i found an S class nitrogen deposit next to power and a B class mineral deposit but was like why do i need nitrogen?! Well now i know.

How well do those mobile refiners work? Can you set up silos for them or are they pretty annoying to deal with in terms of resources stored?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Arghy posted:

How well do those mobile refiners work? Can you set up silos for them or are they pretty annoying to deal with in terms of resources stored?

I've tried a couple times and I've never come back to one that's done anything reasonable-- either it's empty, or it's just flat gone, and you have to keep it fed & powered to boot

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

My freighter can now warp 6362 ly at a time.

I’m about 370,000 ly from the centre of Eissantam now.

Out of interest has anyone found any of the new mechanical creatures yet? I haven’t seen any and was wondering if there was a particular planet type or star colour for them to,spawn in.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I found a big rock snail crab thing on a fire world that gave up “crystal flesh” but Idk if that’s what we’re talking abt.

moroboshi
Dec 11, 2000

So I’m on the Artemis path last mission where you have 16 warps until the universe resets. Should I go to the new galaxy? Will I be able to get back to my bases and space stations I’ve visited in Euclid?

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I’m looking for the new robot creatures, but they seem to be a rare spawn like Diplos, or I’m really unlucky.They give you chewy wires when baited according to the wiki.
I’ll keep looking.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

moroboshi posted:

So I’m on the Artemis path last mission where you have 16 warps until the universe resets. Should I go to the new galaxy? Will I be able to get back to my bases and space stations I’ve visited in Euclid?

Yes and yes.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Arghy posted:

Long long ago, the atmospheric gas collectors worked just fine and you could set up bases on the appropriate planets, drop several of them, and then leave to do stuff and come back later for your nitrogen or whatever. But currently it seems that there's a 100% chance that I come back to find them empty if I don't babysit them, so hotspot extracting is probably the only consistent way to get large amounts of gas until they fix that.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Finally found a planetary archives. drat it's big.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
I think I found a new bug. I was doing a derelict freighter earlier today when my screen got all frosty and the cold weather bar said I was in a storm. A storm, localized on a freighter, in space.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Helith posted:

I’m looking for the new robot creatures, but they seem to be a rare spawn like Diplos, or I’m really unlucky.They give you chewy wires when baited according to the wiki.
I’ll keep looking.

Yeah I’ve found two planets with them which which also happens to be the number of sandworms and diplos I’ve found.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

On my water world my ship says, "anomaly boundary failing 36.5" what does that mean?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Nullsmack posted:

I think I found a new bug. I was doing a derelict freighter earlier today when my screen got all frosty and the cold weather bar said I was in a storm. A storm, localized on a freighter, in space.

Yeah, it seems that planetary weather boundaries extend pretty drat far into space, so while on a derelict (or repairing a frigate) you may sometimes find yourself subjected to storms or extreme weather conditions even though it makes no sense. Its annoying!

Arghy posted:

On my water world my ship says, "anomaly boundary failing 36.5" what does that mean?

Boundary failures are how the game refers to conditions in weird and exotic biomes. That can include planets that look mostly normal but have weird planet bits mixed in, like bubbles floating near the ground or the big ropey ball things as a plant type.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Nullsmack posted:

Yes

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Is there anyway to turn off a particular notification? Every time I walk into my base, my game alerts me that it thinks I'm visiting ancient ruins.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Helith posted:

My freighter can now warp 6362 ly at a time.

I’m about 370,000 ly from the centre of Eissantam now.

Out of interest has anyone found any of the new mechanical creatures yet? I haven’t seen any and was wondering if there was a particular planet type or star colour for them to,spawn in.

Tons of tentacles, worms and blob-like creatures hovering creepily. No mechanical creatures so far. Must be the Hentai region of Budullangr over here.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Origami Dali posted:

Is there anyway to turn off a particular notification? Every time I walk into my base, my game alerts me that it thinks I'm visiting ancient ruins.

As a matter of fact, I live in an observatory.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Thundarr posted:

Yeah, it seems that planetary weather boundaries extend pretty drat far into space, so while on a derelict (or repairing a frigate) you may sometimes find yourself subjected to storms or extreme weather conditions even though it makes no sense. Its annoying!

If this is the case then I wonder if I can avoid it by just being way the gently caress away from a planet, I assumed it was just a new thing thrown in to be irritating tbh

Helith posted:

Out of interest has anyone found any of the new mechanical creatures yet? I haven't seen any and was wondering if there was a particular planet type or star colour for them to,spawn in.

I've found 2 or 3 planets with them, one was a scorched volcanic planet type so I don't think they necessarily have a "type of world"

GENUINE CAT HERDER
Jan 2, 2004

Wedge Regret
So after well over 100 hours of playtime I realize that I might have broken the Artemis questline. There's a quest where you need to "Install Apollo's Personal Shield Module", but I think I already had better modules when I finally got it so I sold it or something. Nothing else seems to trigger this quest to move forwards, either, so I'm wondering if it's permanently borked for me.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

He gave you a multi-tool blueprint.

GENUINE CAT HERDER
Jan 2, 2004

Wedge Regret

Ghostlight posted:

He gave you a multi-tool blueprint.

Son of a bitch...no wonder I could never figure it out. Didn't even think about checking that.

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

I have to admit, for a toxic wasteland this is actually pretty

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Holy poo poo i just want 4 more blue prints so i can build stasis chambers but no legit 20+ production facilities later i've discovered all the other wonderful things that they can give you! I saw a goddamn S class 48+12 hauler but was 18 mil short so i said never again and sold all of my stasis chain stuff and 2 out of 3 ships.

I just got my first star destroyer looking freighter, it's a B class one and discovered the glory of putting my storage units on it. Holy poo poo i'll never have to worry about storage again! Where do i get the technology where i can remotely access it from the planet surface or is that just a dream? I also got some frigate modules from a crashed freighter but as far as i can tell i can't access my only frigate so what are they for?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
You can research freighter tech from the middle console (nearest the door) on its bridge

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
So I started playing this game from a minecraft mindset, aka "dig holes, it's easier than building houses"

I went back to some of my older, ancient, maybe like a week ago farms to grab some mats for chromatic metal and found out apparently the memes about buried bases weren't just a patch at some point, it just...happens.

Some bases fared okay

some...less so

shout out the gold farm that was a portal in a hole in a hill that just dropped me into the void immediately on walking out of the portal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Wooh glad my paranoia about that paid off haha, someone mentioned it to me but didn't confirm if it was real or not so i build all my bases raised off the ground with the bugged foundations. Pisses me off to no end when the legs are all retracted when i visit haha. I saw someone built a base into a giant hollowed out tube and that seemed awesome though i kinda wanna just find a huge plateau and build my own trade station with multiple landing platforms.