Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

on one hand, sorta, yeah

on the other hand... Resident Evil is already dumb as hell to begin with, like the story for those games gets just impressively stupid, and the fandom pretty much realizes this and actively loves RE for it, so Paul W.S. throwing it out and replacing it with slightly different stupid hasn't gone over too badly with the game fans in my experience

like, they're not really doing the same thing as the games, they just remix little bits of them around as desired and do their own thing, but their own thing is still 100% in the spirit of where Capcom's taken RE over the years so it works fine
Yeah. Not sure the movies are ever the exact same kind of stupid, but the games aren't really either, running a pretty wide gamut in terms of how they approach and balance humor/horror. I suppose they happened sorta at the same time as the games themselves changed their tone in the same direction, so some selection bias might be in play: The people who really didn't like what the movies were doing would be turned off by the games too at that point. And obviously anyone who got into the franchise based on that kind of stupid would be right at home with the movies.

Aside from that, a regular issue with video game movies seems to be a sort of distancing from the material? Like, the movie saying "Yeah, I can't believe we're doing this poo poo either, but apparently some people like this garbage". The RE movies might be stupid, but they don't seem embarrassed about the source material, even if they do something different with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Grendels Dad posted:

I'm just so glad I never got invested in the games, because the movies sound like a very specific type of torture for gamers too into their games.

You're missing out because RE4 is probably the most fun I've ever gotten out of a video game. I'm really not much of a gamer and most video games can't keep my attention, but I've bought RE4 on 3 different platforms and twice on Playstation and played through it at least a dozen times. Highly recommended.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Sirotan posted:

You're missing out because RE4 is probably the most fun I've ever gotten out of a video game. I'm really not much of a gamer and most video games can't keep my attention, but I've bought RE4 on 3 different platforms and twice on Playstation and played through it at least a dozen times. Highly recommended.

It's really hosed up that they redid all the lovely RE games and left this one in low def purgatory. It's best on Gamecube but still would be nice to play on a non CRT TV some day.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Maxwell Lord posted:

Wait, when did the first wave stop?

I know what you're saying, but I'd say around the beginning of fall and we're now in the second wave. I'd define the beginning of the second wave as New York cases going up again, because the entirety of the first wave was everything up until now, since it took time to work its way across the entire country.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

It's really hosed up that they redid all the lovely RE games and left this one in low def purgatory. It's best on Gamecube but still would be nice to play on a non CRT TV some day.

There are HD rereleases available for every major console and PC, and a remake is in the works. And the recent Resident Evil 2 remake is fantastic.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Pirate Jet posted:

There are HD rereleases available for every major console and PC, and a remake is in the works. And the recent Resident Evil 2 remake is fantastic.

Weird I guess I was looking for "remake" and seeing that it got pushed back didn't realize that there's one on steam from 2014.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

on one hand, sorta, yeah

on the other hand... Resident Evil is already dumb as hell to begin with, like the story for those games gets just impressively stupid, and the fandom pretty much realizes this and actively loves RE for it, so Paul W.S. throwing it out and replacing it with slightly different stupid hasn't gone over too badly with the game fans in my experience

like, they're not really doing the same thing as the games, they just remix little bits of them around as desired and do their own thing, but their own thing is still 100% in the spirit of where Capcom's taken RE over the years so it works fine

Going from what I read about gamer communities, this is massively impressive and very endearing all around.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Pirate Jet posted:

Are the remakes worthwhile to play? Are they just updating graphics or making other changes as well?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Pirate Jet posted:

Wait did they confirm an RE4 remake?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Len posted:

Wait did they confirm an RE4 remake?

I don't think it's been confirmed but I believe the people saying it's real are the same people who knew the setting for RE8 before it was announced.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Codependent Poster posted:

I don't think it's been confirmed but I believe the people saying it's real are the same people who knew the setting for RE8 before it was announced.

So randoms on Twitter?

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Sirotan posted:

Are the remakes worthwhile to play? Are they just updating graphics or making other changes as well?

RE2 Remake absolutely is, it's basically RE2 redone with better graphics and a modern camera and control system that won't give you a migraine. Plus a bunch of added content that wasn't in the original in the form of new mini-campaigns and stuff.

RE3 Remake is more polarizing. It's done in the exact same engine as the RE2 Remake, but it's really short because apparently Capcom developed them at the same time and planned to sell them in one game but later split them out for $$$. There's a weird dodge move that doesn't make much sense and really, the base game they're working with was always one of the worse games in the series. If you really loved RE2 Remake and need more it's worth picking up on sale.

Len posted:

So randoms on Twitter?

Randoms on Twitter who are consistently correct about unannounced Capcom stuff, plus it's not like it's that far out of a guess given RE2 Remake sold a bajillion.

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Weird I guess I was looking for "remake" and seeing that it got pushed back didn't realize that there's one on steam from 2014.

Yeah, they made a new PC port in 2014 because the one that came out alongside the game's launch in 2004 was legendarily terrible (it didn't have lighting. It just... didn't. It wasn't there.) And every time a new console comes out, one of the first things Capcom does is port RE4 to it. It's become kind of a meme alongside Skyrim and Minecraft, that you can play it on everything on earth.

Pirate Jet fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Oct 9, 2020

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Pirate Jet posted:

Randoms on Twitter who are consistently correct about unannounced Capcom stuff, plus it's not like it's that far out of a guess given RE2 Remake sold a bajillion.

And the twitter randoms that said Mario 3d All Stars was going to happen also did things like report Pokemon Sun/Moon for Switch, the Switch Pro, and Metroid Prime Trilogy for Switch. I'll believe it when it's actually announced

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Len posted:

And the twitter randoms that said Mario 3d All Stars was going to happen also did things like report Pokemon Sun/Moon for Switch, the Switch Pro, and Metroid Prime Trilogy for Switch. I'll believe it when it's actually announced

We're talking about specific accounts with good track records when it comes to Capcom leaks (Dusk Golem if you're wondering.) If you want to operate on that logic I guess every newspaper is bullshit because the Daily Mail exists.

Anyways I can't wait to see WS Anderson's similarly loving insane take on Monster Hunter.

Pirate Jet fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Oct 9, 2020

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Jill Valentine in RE3 is a great action heroine. Extra bonus for the Golden Showstopper outfit and mods.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Go play RE4 because it is that vintage perfection of gruesome horror, schlock, and some of the tightest game design ever made. The dialog between Leon and the Villains is incredible and so perfect for its tone that sadly the only way to make a perfect RE4 movie would be to travel back to late 70s italy with a briefcase full of money.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Pirate Jet posted:

RE2 Remake absolutely is, it's basically RE2 redone with better graphics and a modern camera and control system that won't give you a migraine. Plus a bunch of added content that wasn't in the original in the form of new mini-campaigns and stuff.

RE3 Remake is more polarizing. It's done in the exact same engine as the RE2 Remake, but it's really short because apparently Capcom developed them at the same time and planned to sell them in one game but later split them out for $$$. There's a weird dodge move that doesn't make much sense and really, the base game they're working with was always one of the worse games in the series. If you really loved RE2 Remake and need more it's worth picking up on sale.

That's not what happened with RE3. Code Veronica was gonna be RE3, but they decided to put it out on Dreamcast. But they had a contract for a third game on Playstation to fulfill, so they quickly made Nemesis and called it RE3.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

That's not what happened with RE3. Code Veronica was gonna be RE3, but they decided to put it out on Dreamcast. But they had a contract for a third game on Playstation to fulfill, so they quickly made Nemesis and called it RE3.

I’m referring to the remakes, not the development of the original games.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I liked RE3 Remake but it's not as good as the RE2 Remake and should only be bought on sale.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

I liked RE3 Remake but it's not as good as the RE2 Remake and should only be bought on sale.

This is the core of the problem. R3make is a perfectly fine game at 30 bucks. Its highway robbery at 60.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://twitter.com/BethElderkin/status/1314573962794459139
Another scavenger hunt, with more 80s trivia!

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Sirotan posted:

Resident Evil 4 accidentally created the plague of third-person cover shooters, but even that can’t outweigh how loving good it is, one of the best games I’ve ever played.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Resident Evil 4 accidentally created the plague of third-person cover shooters, but even that can’t outweigh how loving good it is, one of the best games I’ve ever played.

Resident Evil 4 is such a good game. Even though I can't stand Ashley, her unique brand of obnoxious is charming in its own way.

Also the merchant is one of my favorite one off RE characters.

The RE2 remake is fantastic and I've played through it to completion on both stories twice. The RE3 remake is fine. It feels cheaper than 2 in little ways like zombies not being dismembered.

Also Nemesis loving sucks and I hate him :colbert:

Mr.X at least had style.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Grendels Dad posted:

There is some nasty gore in the movie but yeah, showing in detail what hell is all about would have taken away from the overall experience. They could have saved that for a hypothetical sequel where the survivors go back to hell to save Fishburne, or something. They bring Space Marines.

There is the old saying that Event Horizon is a Warhammer 40,000 prequel.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

1stGear posted:

This is the core of the problem. R3make is a perfectly fine game at 30 bucks. Its highway robbery at 60.

The weirdest thing about it is the inclusion of a multiplayer mode, one completely different from the original campaign (closer to something like Dead By Daylight). It is like the days where games bolted on a multiplayer mode in the hopes of people not selling the game immediately after finishing it. Except in this day and age a multiplayer mode that is (1) not the main focus, and (2) not free-to-play, is almost dead on arrival.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I will say there's some cosmic irony to RE3 being a souped up budget game and then RE3make also being a souped up budget game.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Pandorum was just on Cinemax; I never knew Paul W.S. Anderson was a producer on it.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

My favorite thing about RP1 will always be how the first book ends with the techno-ghost of the OASIS founder basically begging the main character to shut down the entire thing and giving him the explicit power to do so since all it’s done is ruin society and make all their existing problems even worse but instead he decides to just shut it off for one day each week because that should be good enough.

The whole loving book is all about how hollow and pointless this idiot character’s life has become and how the stupid fantasy world has turned everyone into mindless dummies who only exist to regurgitate pop culture trash and give what little money they have to an evil megacorporation, but when the main character finally has the opportunity to make a real change and fix all of this he just goes “Nah!” and rattles off more bullshit about 80’s cereal commercials. It’s the most astonishing example of an author missing the (accidental) point of his own book while he was still writing it. And now in the sequel that character will literally be responsible for millions of deaths because he couldn’t bear to be without his precious 80’s bullshit and the reader is somehow expected to still view him as a relatable hero.

gently caress Ernest Cline.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Big Mean Jerk posted:

My favorite thing about RP1 will always be how the first book ends with the techno-ghost of the OASIS founder basically begging the main character to shut down the entire thing and giving him the explicit power to do so since all it’s done is ruin society and make all their existing problems even worse but instead he decides to just shut it off for one day each week because that should be good enough.

The whole loving book is all about how hollow and pointless this idiot character’s life has become and how the stupid fantasy world has turned everyone into mindless dummies who only exist to regurgitate pop culture trash and give what little money they have to an evil megacorporation, but when the main character finally has the opportunity to make a real change and fix all of this he just goes “Nah!” and rattles off more bullshit about 80’s cereal commercials. It’s the most astonishing example of an author missing the (accidental) point of his own book while he was still writing it. And now in the sequel that character will literally be responsible for millions of deaths because he couldn’t bear to be without his precious 80’s bullshit and the reader is somehow expected to still view him as a relatable hero.

gently caress Ernest Cline.

Calling a sequel to Ready Player One "wildly original" is a bold move.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Sony has officially confirmed that the Monster Hunter movie will now release on Dec. 30. The news comes after the trailer for the film teased a December release date in stark contrast to the April 23, 2021 release date the film had.

Bumping up the release date in the plague era boy that bodes well

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Lid posted:

Sony has officially confirmed that the Monster Hunter movie will now release on Dec. 30. The news comes after the trailer for the film teased a December release date in stark contrast to the April 23, 2021 release date the film had.

If it was going theater and rental it would make sense. But I just have this feeling that even more theaters aren't going to be open by December

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Lid posted:

They've realized that their target audience is people who wish they were dead.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
Ads for The War with Grandpa keep pushing how it's only in theaters and how great it is to see it in a theater:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pqv7oskvXgQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzKXccRBNGk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4yZlCbs60c

If you've never heard of the movie, it was supposed to come out in 2018 but got pushed back a couple of times. I guess they decided that releasing it now was as good a time as any.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Its kind of crazy when you look back at how influential the RE games have been. RE wasn't the first 3rd person survival game but it's success certainly blew up the genre. Attempting to improve the controls of the original games led to Onimusha which led to Devil May Cry which blew up into a whole genre of survival/fighting hybrids like Ninja Gaiden/God of War/Bayonetta. They even gave Kojima a crack at the franchise and he ended up inspiring the likes of Left 4 Dead and Vermintide.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Might have helped popularise quick-time-events, too.

And while subjective, the game apparently even still manages to be scary, mostly with the use of tension and how things ramp up from quiet scene to endless horde/giant monster at a moment's notice.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Action Jacktion posted:

Ads for The War with Grandpa keep pushing how it's only in theaters and how great it is to see it in a theater:

WEAR A MASK YOU STUPID FUCKS :argh:

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Action Jacktion posted:

If you've never heard of the movie, it was supposed to come out in 2018 but got pushed back a couple of times. I guess they decided that releasing it now was as good a time as any.

I thought this was a sequel to Bad Grandpa but apparently they're unrelated? Also apparently the director is the same guy who made Garfield: A Tale Of Two Kittens and the 2007 Alvin and the Chipmunks movie, real great resume there.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

Action Jacktion posted:

it was a Weinstein production that apparently took a couple years to get out of legal limbo when the company went under

Rageaholic posted:

WEAR A MASK YOU STUPID FUCKS :argh:

my (hardly scientific) suspicion is that the audiences most likely to go to theaters under current circumstances are the least likely to take COVID seriously, but yeah that ad is not having the desired effect

FoneBone fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Oct 10, 2020

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

They cut so much content from the original. loving shameful. Insane how quickly the quality and effort drops at Capcom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

My favorite thing about Ernest Cline is his second book was just The Last Starfighter but packed with tedious pop culture references which he definitely pulled out of a drawer after the success of Ready Player One.