Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

Frida Call Me posted:

Less than 1/3rd done. If you want to contribute to the development process, buy now. If you want a polished game, wait for release.

Worth considering full release won't be for at least a year. So if you'd like to play now and then drop it while they finish the game, it's pretty fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Is the PC's illithid powers the same for every class/race/etc? Force Tunnel? Curious cause it doesn't look like it would fit a caster class at all (I'm playing a Ranger, incidentally)

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Having multiple skill checks in a conversation in which most of them don't do anything other than get you to the next skill check.... what the gently caress were they thinking with this system? Despite having high CHA and dialogue proficiencies it almost never pays off because I'm bound to roll 2 when I needed a 6 on the third skill check. Absolutely moronic design choice.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

blindwoozie posted:

Try loading the .exes from the bin folder, try running as administrator, and finally try holding shift > right click > run as admin which works for me for whatever reason. It's finnicky but it seems to get it going for me.

thanks, tried this, no luck. first game I've had to refund in gaming since like steam released.

"VCRUNTIME140_1.dll was not found" when I try to launch from bin

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Mustang posted:

Having multiple skill checks in a conversation in which most of them don't do anything other than get you to the next skill check.... what the gently caress were they thinking with this system? Despite having high CHA and dialogue proficiencies it almost never pays off because I'm bound to roll 2 when I needed a 6 on the third skill check. Absolutely moronic design choice.

http://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=87&page=1

Needs to go in the OP

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

jokes posted:

poo poo despite it being Baldur’s Gate I figured it was all Larian and I realize WOTC got my money.

Remind me why they’re bad? My wife plays D&D, and I just mentioned I’d heard they were problematic in some way (from this thread) but am unsure of the specifics.

(Not asking for a derail, just a few lines of clarification)

SnipeShow
Nov 7, 2009

That dance wasn't as safe as they said it was.

How do you stand up from prone? All 4 party members are lying in a grease trap for perpetuity...

RedLobster
Nov 19, 2010

Original Character
!DO NOT STEAL!

SnipeShow posted:

How do you stand up from prone? All 4 party members are lying in a grease trap for perpetuity...

They should just get up

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Torquemada posted:

Remind me why they’re bad? My wife plays D&D, and I just mentioned I’d heard they were problematic in some way (from this thread) but am unsure of the specifics.

Mike Mearls, one of the lead designers of 5e (and lore consultant for BG3), decided to protect a sexual harasser (Zak S) by sending the accusations and details of the accusers to the accused when given the opportunity.

5e is also a pretty big regression in a lot of ways but people still like it.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

SnipeShow posted:

If you're in the turn-based mode you need to hit end turn. If it's the grease trap in the crypts, that's the "tutorial" for turn-based mode that isn't in combat.

SnipeShow
Nov 7, 2009

jokes posted:

If you're in the turn-based mode you need to hit end turn. If it's the grease trap in the crypts, that's the "tutorial" for turn-based mode that isn't in combat.

Well all its taught me is that four characters can lay prone forever. I cant interact with or do anything. Is there supposed to be a trick to this?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

SnipeShow posted:

Well all its taught me is that four characters can lay prone forever. I cant interact with or do anything. Is there supposed to be a trick to this?

Your entire party died from embarrassment, reload

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

It shoved you into turn-based mode you need to end turn (space) or end turn-based mode (shift+space) in either event the whole place is gonna ignite and then you'll have a whole different problem to sort out!

Or, of course, it's bugged.

SnipeShow
Nov 7, 2009

The latter.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Torquemada posted:

The guy (Mearls) who used to basically run D&D is pretty lovely and used to be buddy buddy with an EXTREMELY lovely dude (Zak S, who, it's worth noting, was still an industry darlingat the time and winning awards for his poo poo) and just in general the guy sucks. He sided with Zak and enabled his online harassment campaigns (moreso than most of the rest of industry this time) when people tried to tell him that Zak was a douche who shouldn't be consulting on 5e (he ended up with a special thanks in the PHB).

Anywho, fast forward like four years and Zak's girlfriend (and former strong defender) credibly accused him for years of psychological and sexual abuse, which caused other victims to come out against him as well, and also amplified the voices that'd been accusing him all along. This dredged up the years-old claims that Mearls enabled him back in 2014 (hence why the evidence is so spotty now; most of it was on Google+ which doesn't exist anymore) and calls for his head, which, sure, whatever.

WotC releases a lawyerly statement claiming they had no idea about Zak (which probably made things worse for Mearls, honestly, since he couldn't credibly claim full ignorance) and then suddenly Mearls went from the very public face of D&D to completely disappeared from the internet with no other statements, because of course the lawyers wouldn't let Mearls comment one way or another. WotC cut Zak S (and all the other "special" consultants) from future prints of the PHB and hoped everyone would forget about it. If asked about Mearls they'd say he wasn't fired, just moved away from the tabletop game. Turns out they stashed him Belgium to be lore consultant on BG3.

Otherwise WotC is mostly a typical, wants-to-be-progressive-but-really-bad-at-it-because-theyre-all-white-dudes company, with a billion dollar corporate overlord and all the lawyers that entails.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Torquemada posted:

One of the more notoriously racist hiring processes, the aforementioned Mike Mearls thing, I forget if they had other sex pest problems but one sex pest brushed hand waved is too many.

Also 5E really alienated a lot of TT people, but they were gonna head off to ye ol’ pathfinder way eventually anyways.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
Note that while some people here will poo poo talk 5e as a system, it is inarguably one of (if not the) most popular editions of the game, and is otherwise leading what has been a significant tabletop revolution for the past half decade. I much prefer Powered by the Apocalypse and its bastard offspring Forged in the Dark these days, but fwiw 5e is by far my favorite version of D&D. It helps that it's newer and I can crib stuff that was better in previous editions (like 4e monster design)

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
Double post

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Yeah I actually really dig 5E which is why BG3 fuckin rules. It’s shockingly similar to rollin’ dice in 5E despite the surfaces and junk.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

jokes posted:

One of the more notoriously racist hiring processes, the aforementioned Mike Mearls thing, I forget if they had other sex pest problems but one sex pest brushed hand waved is too many.

Also 5E really alienated a lot of TT people, but they were gonna head off to ye ol’ pathfinder way eventually anyways.

their early culture was Not Good, but AFAIK it was pre-Hasbro, though I wouldn’t doubt some hangover

also the people most alienated by 5e were emphatically *not* Pathfinder inclined (4vengers rather than 3e grogs), though I guess that may have changed since ironically Pathfinder 2e decided to actually innovate/move beyond the preferences of its worst fans and IMO is a much more credible effort than 5e

Ace Transmuter posted:

Note that while some people here will poo poo talk 5e as a system, it is inarguably one of (if not the) most popular editions of the game, and is otherwise leading what has been a significant tabletop revolution for the past half decade. I much prefer Powered by the Apocalypse and its bastard offspring Forged in the Dark these days, but fwiw 5e is by far my favorite version of D&D. It helps that it's newer and I can crib stuff that was better in previous editions (like 4e monster design)

The problem isn’t that D&D 5 is the worst ever (even detractors will agree it’s mechanically better than 3e, though not nearly as well supported), it’s that it represented a step back from 4e in many ways, and was visibly made worse at several points during its farce of a “play test” (it also suffers in comparison to some related works - i.e. SotDL isn’t perfect or everyone’s cup of tea, but it does a far better job of accomplishing 5e’s putative goals than 5e and dwarfs it in published content, despite being essentially a one man effort by a 5e designer created after his involvement in 5e)

and D&D 5e “leads” b/c of its brand positioning letting it be synonymous with “TTRPG“ for many people at a moment independent media trends caused a significant uptick in the popularity of such games/activities, not because of any particular virtue on its part

LGD fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Oct 10, 2020

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

LGD posted:

The problem isn’t that D&D 5 is the worst ever (even detractors will agree it’s mechanically better than 3e, though not nearly as well supported), it’s that it represented a step back from 4e in many ways, and was visibly made worse at several points during its farce of a “play test” (it also suffers in comparison to some related works - i.e. SotDL isn’t perfect or everyone’s cup of tea, but it does a far better job of accomplishing 5e’s putative goals than 5e and dwarfs it in published content, despite being essentially a one man effort by a 5e designer created after his involvement in 5e)

and D&D 5e “leads” b/c of its brand positioning letting it be synonymous with “TTRPG“ for many people at a moment independent media trends caused a significant uptick in the popularity of such games/activities, not because of any particular virtue on its part

This is the predictable 4venger take, and it's a bad one. While it's true that D&D leads in part due to its name recognition, pre 5e it wasn't necessarily a given that D&D would bounce back. 4e did pretty horribly from both a critical and commercial stance, and I say that as someone who likes a lot about 4e. 5e meanwhile has shot far beyond even when 3.5 was at its height.

I don't believe in badwrongfun and everyone's going to have their tastes, but objectively 5e has been a huge hit, and to suggest otherwise is simply not true.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

5e is the most popular D&D has been, sure, but it's not because 5e is a particularly good game, or that Mearls knows what he's doing with it

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Ace Transmuter posted:

This is the predictable 4venger take, and it's a bad one. While it's true that D&D leads in part due to its name recognition, pre 5e it wasn't necessarily a given that D&D would bounce back. 4e did pretty horribly from both a critical and commercial stance, and I say that as someone who likes a lot about 4e. 5e meanwhile has shot far beyond even when 3.5 was at its height.

I don't believe in badwrongfun and everyone's going to have their tastes, but objectively 5e has been a huge hit, and to suggest otherwise is simply not true.

“bounce back” from being the number one game on the market by a wide margin, with no obvious competitors for that spot?

the idea 4e did “horribly” in a commercial sense is contradicted by most of the available evidence, especially in the context of the economic circumstances of its release

it was also very well received critically, except by groups of people espousing the opinions you’re disclaiming

5e has undeniably been a massive commercial success, but this is leaned on *heavily* by its proponents as a proxy for “quality” while they entirely discount exogenous factors like podcasts/streaming (despite those almost certainly being more determinative)

LGD fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Oct 10, 2020

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
No one is saying 5e hasn't been a big hit. What's being suggested is that 5e being a big hit has less to do with anything the system does and more just being in the right time/place with the explosion of tabletop streaming and actual play podcasts, which I think is a lot harder of a point to discount.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
There's an entire subforum to argue over editions of D&D. This is not it.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

5e is the most popular D&D has been, sure, but it's not because 5e is a particularly good game, or that Mearls knows what he's doing with it

Mearls is not part of the tabletop game team anymore.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Having played multiple versions of D&D, 5e is the best version of D&D that has ever been pubished. Bounded accuracy (all rolls go fom 1 to 30 as a number to beat, with 30 being "Virtually Impossible") and Advantage/Disadvantage have done alot to really curb some of the game's worst aspects and the design is more approachable by far.

Going to Baldur'sGate 3, how is bounded accuracy looking in that? Does the game have an attunement system for magical items yet, as limiting you to three really powerful items was part of the bounded accuracy design goal? Reading the thread, it sounds like Advantage is being used maybe a bit opaquely?

Also even according to the DMG, skillchecks should only be called for on very important tasks. It sounds like they're being used a bit willy-nilly atm? Also how often are rolls of 16+ coming up, as those are pretty challenging skill test that are hard to overcome for most characters not specifically built for that skill from like, lvl 1-10? Can your other party members take on the skills rolls you have to make, or even just give you advantage on the check if they have applicable skills?

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Oct 10, 2020

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

"5e sucks" isn't particularly interesting as it relates to this game, but "the way this particular 5e system is implemented in the game sucks for X reason" could lead to an interesting discussion. What specific parts of the implementation do you all not like and why doesn't it work for a game?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Kokoro Wish posted:

Going to Baldur'sGate 3, how is bounded accuracy looking in that? Does the game have a attunement system for magical items yet, as limiting you to three really powerful items was part of the bounded accuracy design goal? Reading the thread, it sounds like Advantage is being used maybe a bit opaquely?

Also even according to the DMG, skillchecks should only be called for on very important tasks. It sounds like they're being used a bit willy-nilly atm?

Since the game caps out at level 4 I'm not sure I've really had much time to see much of an effect from bounded accuracy. I have noticed that a lot, like at least half of the magic items I've even seen so far are more "this item has a neat side effect" than "this item has generic pluses", which I suppose is a side effect of that change and is good to see!

I haven't seen any sign of an attunement system but I haven't seen any items that would really call for it yet.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Kokoro Wish posted:

Also even according to the DMG, skillchecks should only be called for on very important tasks. It sounds like they're being used a bit willy-nilly atm? Also how often are rolls of 16+ coming up, as those are pretty challenging skill test that are hard to overcome for most characters not specifically built for that skill from like, lvl 1-10? Can your other party members take on the skills rolls you have to make, or even just give you advantage on the check if they have applicable skills?
I wouldn't call them common but I've seen a fair number of high skill checks come up. Rolling a 20 on a 19 skill check felt great. I do kinda wish you could back out of doing a roll after seeing the DC, but maybe that's too game-y.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
gently caress this spider cave, good lord.

RedLobster
Nov 19, 2010

Original Character
!DO NOT STEAL!

Clanpot Shake posted:

I wouldn't call them common but I've seen a fair number of high skill checks come up. Rolling a 20 on a 19 skill check felt great. I do kinda wish you could back out of doing a roll after seeing the DC, but maybe that's too game-y.

In fairness dms dont usually tell you the DC and ask whether you still want to roll

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

RedLobster posted:

In fairness dms dont usually tell you the DC and ask whether you still want to roll

Ask ‘em twice and if they still insist shrug and let them dig their own grave.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Mustang posted:

This has been bothering me as well so I made the wiki post. Most seems to be in agreement so far.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Hey, so I've played a lot of 5e DND and I just had a couple questions about multiclassing in BG3, specifically around the paladin. 1) Can you multiclass same as in 5e. 2) How are spell slots calculated when you multiclass in BG3. 3)If spell slots are separated by class can Paladins burn spell slots from other classes as a smite. 4) If Paladins can use spell slots from other classes as a smite does this apply to the warlock?

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Has anyone found the "sell all wares" button? I must be blind.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Bardeh posted:

gently caress this spider cave, good lord.

I wandered in there with 4 potions of poison resistance and I was still getting hosed up, level 2 my rear end.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Madmarker posted:

Hey, so I've played a lot of 5e DND and I just had a couple questions about multiclassing in BG3, specifically around the paladin. 1) Can you multiclass same as in 5e. 2) How are spell slots calculated when you multiclass in BG3. 3)If spell slots are separated by class can Paladins burn spell slots from other classes as a smite. 4) If Paladins can use spell slots from other classes as a smite does this apply to the warlock?

As of now, you can't multi-class.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Back Hack posted:

As of now, you can't multi-class.

Sadness....no multiclass, no sentinel feat. Oh well, early access. Thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Madmarker posted:

pretty sure the answer is ??? because multi-classing isn’t in the game yet

presumably the same way it works in 5e, though I can absolutely see them adjusting how multi class warlocks work