Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
For me, Joe Hill is 70% as good as King, but more consistent. The highs aren't as high and the lows aren't as low. No "no great loss" in his books, but no "cell" either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

joepinetree posted:

For me, Joe Hill is 70% as good as King, but more consistent. The highs aren't as high and the lows aren't as low. No "no great loss" in his books, but no "cell" either.

NOS4A2 was like, 90 percent, but by and large you’re right.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

NOS4A2 was really, really good. Best Hill novel easily.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Untrustable posted:

Yea I really liked it. Can’t recommend it enough.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Untrustable posted:

I read it in like a day and a half, that book really moved once it got going.

And that line when Vic has an absolute asston of explosives and says “he wants it to be Christmas every day but I’ll give him the loving Fourth of July” was the best :fsmug: cheesy action movie line.

Invisble Manuel
Nov 4, 2009

Untrustable posted:

I enjoyed the book - can anyone speak to the quality of the show? I saw that it got another season which kind of turned me off, but I have no idea how much the first season covered so maybe it is ok?

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Invisble Manuel posted:

I enjoyed the book - can anyone speak to the quality of the show? I saw that it got another season which kind of turned me off, but I have no idea how much the first season covered so maybe it is ok?

I watched the first two episodes. The story as adapted seemed, while not completely faithful to the original, close enough. But the acting is awful and atmosphere and cinematography are what you'd expect our of a USA show.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Invisble Manuel posted:

The first season covers first half of the book and the second season covers the second half. Pretty different from the book and it's kinda obvious they were angling for maybe a third season (they didn't get it), but the two seasons tie up the story just fine.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Yea it was for the most part pretty faithful to the book but the actual show isn’t that good.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I just really enjoy doing the old man Charlie Manx voice around the house. It's a fun voice. It's like Zachary Quinto gave up and was like, "what if I just strain and groan like I'm trying to poo poo?" and the director was like, "Yes. Go with that.".

Invisble Manuel
Nov 4, 2009

quote:

NOS24 tv show stuff
Thanks everyone, I'll push it to the back of my queue

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
Just finished Wolves of the Calla, and I legitimately enjoyed it more than I had been expecting to. Boy did he rip off A Bug's Life, though!

Now on to Song of Susannah...

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Chamberk posted:

Just finished Wolves of the Calla, and I legitimately enjoyed it more than I had been expecting to. Boy did he rip off A Bug's Life, though!

Ahahahahahahahahahahah

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
The best TV adaption of a King story is the Mist. Fight me on it

please don’t fight me on it, it’s the worst thing I’ve ever watched

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Krispy Wafer posted:

Go watch the movie adaptation of Cell, then it won’t be the worst thing you’ve ever watched anymore

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Chamberk posted:

"It's like A Bug's Life but with cowboys! What's next, A Bug's Life with samurais?"

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Go watch the movie adaptation of Cell, then it won’t be the worst thing you’ve ever watched anymore

At least Cell had people who theoretically can act.

The Mist had the worst acting I’ve ever seen on basic cable.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Krispy Wafer posted:

worse than the under the dome show?

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Krispy Wafer posted:

My wife has never read the story or watched the movie, but she has found time to watch all of the TV adaptation :psyduck:

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
So is the reason for the answers above because you all never watched the langoliers? Or is it because the langoliers is one of those "so bad it's good" scenarios?

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

joepinetree posted:

So is the reason for the answers above because you all never watched the langoliers? Or is it because the langoliers is one of those "so bad it's good" scenarios?

Just waiting for Lisey's Story to get out of covid production hell over here.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Just waiting for Lisey's Story to get out of covid production hell over here.

The actual backstory parts of Lisey’s Story loving ruled.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

joepinetree posted:

The Langoliers has a special place in my heart, because for some reason I read the story when I was still in primary school, probably when I was 9 or 10 years old and before I was even aware of who Stephen King was. Fast forward nearly two decades, having completely forgotten about it, I watched the movie and it was the weirdest experience ever because for some reason I had all this knowledge of what was going to happen next without knowing where that knowledge came from. For a surreal couple of hours I felt what it must be like to be psychic, to have supernatural powers, until after the movie when I put 2 and 2 together and vaguely remembered reading it.

I had the same experience watching the Zima Blue episode of Love Death Robots, except I do vividly remember reading that short story because it was on one of the best days of life. Going from "wait this is familiar" to "yeah, I've read this story" to all the memories flooding in during the climax of the episode, me sitting by my girlfriend's pool, reading such an appropriate story during the hottest hours of the day while she was a few feet away from me having a siesta, in what was the best week of my 20s, got me a bit emotional.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

The actual backstory parts of Lisey’s Story loving ruled.

Yeah I'm one of the sickos who liked it, and read it with my gf and we both found the pet names hilarious but believable.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l--4gu4CQBM

I'm sure I'm an rear end in a top hat for saying so but things seem really off to me and I can't quite put my finger on why

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Eason the Fifth posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l--4gu4CQBM

I'm sure I'm an rear end in a top hat for saying so but things seem really off to me and I can't quite put my finger on why

Things look a little too neat and clean for the end of the world.

Based purely on the trailer I don't really like the casting of Marsden and Goldberg, but Skarsgard looks really good as Flagg.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Unless I missed it, there's nothing in the trailer to indicate that the story is about a pandemic.

Lester Shy fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Oct 10, 2020

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Lester Shy posted:

Unless I missed it, there's nothing in the trailer to indicate that the story is about a pandemic.

they might be downplaying that in re: current events

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Eason the Fifth posted:

they might be downplaying that in re: current events

The plague parts are the main reason why I want to watch it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

The plague parts are the main reason why I want to watch it.

I think they meant downplaying it in the advertising. It was filmed ages ago, I don’t think they’ll shy away from the plague stuff. Though the actual plague falls into the background after the first third or so of the book.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Hell, I figure they ought to emphasize the plague aspect. Strike while the iron's hot. You can be Generic Post Apocalyptic Show #22 or the only actively relevant pandemic drama.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

I'm not crazy about any of that, although Skarsgard does indeed seem like he's going to be good and they seem to have included the failed ambush/standoff with the harem keepers, which should make for some intense TV. Whoopie seems badly miscast but so does half of the rest of the cast so IDK.

Should've gone with Blue Oyster Cult for the trailer though.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
I'm not seeing the problem with Whoopi. Just not old/frail enough?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I’m going to go with “too clean”, but also too dirty. Vegas wasn’t a hedonistic pleasure palace in the book. Flagg kept everyone to a weird morality if you can ignore the whole “crucifixing people who step out of line” part. I get that may be too nuanced for a TV miniseries audience, but I’m still a little bummed they went the opposite direction.

joepinetree posted:

The Langoliers was bad, but The Mist was so bad it made me angry. We already got a really great movie adaption, so even a bad TV version should have been entertaining just for shits and giggles. It wasn’t.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Krispy Wafer posted:

I’m going to go with “too clean”, but also too dirty. Vegas wasn’t a hedonistic pleasure palace in the book. Flagg kept everyone to a weird morality if you can ignore the whole “crucifixing people who step out of line” part. I get that may be too nuanced for a TV miniseries audience, but I’m still a little bummed they went the opposite direction.

The Langoliers was bad, but The Mist was so bad it made me angry. We already got a really great movie adaption, so even a bad TV version should have been entertaining just for shits and giggles. It wasn’t.

Vegas was crucifying people for weed. It was absolutely more “authoritarian hellhole” that attracted people who had been either institutionalized over the years like Lloyd and Trash, or were used to running poo poo. Its appeal was hierarchy, not debauchery.

And if you like The Mist movie and haven’t watched the black and white cut, go do that now. It’s so much better that way.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Re: advertising

Since the plague is only really relevant as a set up I figure they didn't want to make it seem like a "contagion" type of series.

Krispy Wafer posted:

Canuckistan posted:

Whoopi is Whoopi. It is hard to see her as anyone other than Whoopi. It's like when I was watching Apt Pupil, and to me I couldn't separate Ross Gheller from Edward French.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

joepinetree posted:

Based purely on the trailer I don't really like the casting of Marsden and Goldberg, but Skarsgard looks really good as Flagg.

Yeah, I think it's the casting that's got me feeling strange about it.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1831804/fullcredits?ref_=tt_cl_sm#cast

Edit - I dont even see the trashcan man.

This is giving me some Under the Dome vibes which is extremely uncool. I hope I'm wrong.

Eason the Fifth fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Oct 12, 2020

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Vegas was crucifying people for weed. It was absolutely more “authoritarian hellhole” that attracted people who had been either institutionalized over the years like Lloyd and Trash, or were used to running poo poo. Its appeal was hierarchy, not debauchery.

And if you like The Mist movie and haven’t watched the black and white cut, go do that now. It’s so much better that way.

I watched it with my daughter thinking there was a different ending and the gut wrenching version was not the one we were watching. I still feel bad about putting her through that.

As it turns out there’s only one ending and you can tell it wasn’t in the original short story because it’s good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Canuckistan posted:

She was a good verging on great actress ~30 years ago, now she's just Whoopi. I can't see her in anything without thinking of her bickering on the View.

Also yeah she doesn't seem quite as exhausted or knowing as I think of Mother Abigail as being in the book. IDK, I would've preferred they cast someone unknown or gone in a different direction with it. I know King loves his Magical Negros but having Mother Abigail be Indigenous would've made for a more interesting take, just off the top of my head.

Amber Heard as Nadine does stand out as a great choice. The guy playing Harold looks interesting too. Also Brad Dourif's daughter is playing the Rat King?!

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Oct 12, 2020