Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Vikar Jerome posted:

so, can i buy this hdd for ps4 https://www.amazon.co.uk/Seagate-ST...562&sr=8-4&th=1 and install all my games on it with saves and stuff and then when the ps5 gets here, i just plug that hdd into it and away we go?

You're over-paying for the Playstation logo on that, this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Seagate-Expansion-Portable-PlayStation-STEA2000400/dp/B00TKFEE5S is the same thing for £15 less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I thought Seagates were widely considered trash drives prone to failure?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

There's not a ton of real data on reliability across HDD manufacturers, the best we have is the Backblaze survey but they only use 3.5" drives (those portables have a 2.5" inside) and they stopped using Western Digital drives so there's no data for them anymore

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/backblaze-hard-drive-stats-q2-2020/

Seagate had a relatively bad failure rate last year but it's dropped in line with Toshiba this year

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

univbee posted:

Games yes, but saves can't be transferred to the same external that you store games on (drives formatted that way will ONLY store games).
Question about external storage on current and next-gen consoles: does it become a single-use PS/Xbox drive, or can it be partitioned?

Could the same partitioned drive be used with both PS5 and XSX or do any of the consoles demand exclusive access to the whole disk?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Ps4 repartitions the entire drive and uses a partition table that Windows doesn't natively see, so individual drives will be needed if ps5 works similarly

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

dag yo, i could really use a pissfive to take my mind off of life

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Bust Rodd posted:

If this were me I would simply rebuy the games i really cared about on my main account. Are you split evenly down the middle or is one just like... an EU game you bought while on vacation or something?

It's a lot of games.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

dag yo, i could really use a pissfive to take my mind off of life

Same OP.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm gonna get Miles Morales, Demon's Souls, and Bugsnax when I get my PS5! :)

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Has anyone who ordered their console gotten any word regarding the shipping situation yet? I paid for launch day delivery and haven't heard a peep since my order confirmation.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It sucks rear end that the PS5 comes out a week or so after the election. Would have been nice to play Demons Souls for a couple days before Civil War 2.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

Has anyone who ordered their console gotten any word regarding the shipping situation yet? I paid for launch day delivery and haven't heard a peep since my order confirmation.

that would be pretty early. I don't think you're going to get anything until they actually ship. it's still a month away.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

Arist posted:

:hfive:

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Detective No. 27 posted:

It sucks rear end that the PS5 comes out a week or so after the election. Would have been nice to play Demons Souls for a couple days before Civil War 2.

The inevitable court cases that will ensue before a 6-3 SCotUS decision hands the election over to the person they want to will will ensure you get a few weeks in before you have to head to the front.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

It’s a month away why on earth would there be any news yet

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I got in on that first wave of Target preorders and it didn't guarantee launch day shipping or even in store pick up. I'm not expecting a day one and I'm pretty ok with that. Just glad to have one locked in. But I'd be pretty happy if it did arrive on launch day.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
There's no way any of the retailers are going to guarantee a Launch Day delivery this far out. There's too much volatility between shipping numbers, USPS/Courier fuckery, and Covid-poo poo to have a zillion angry gamers wondering where their Bugsnax is.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

FilthyImp posted:

There's no way any of the retailers are going to guarantee a Launch Day delivery this far out. There's too much volatility between shipping numbers, USPS/Courier fuckery, and Covid-poo poo to have a zillion angry gamers wondering where their Bugsnax is.

Wal-Mart just re-confirmed a Nov. 12 delivery date for me so we'll see I guess

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

doctorthefonz posted:

Is there a similar site for playstation games as dekudeals or isthereanydeal for switch/pc respectively? I fully missed out on the ps4 and its exclusives and would like to build a wishlist for da ps5

Remember there will be a huuuuge pack of PS4 games in the PS+ Collection in November.

It'll contain

God of War
The Last of Us: Remastered
Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End
Battlefield 1
Monster Hunter World
Fallout 4
Final Fantasy XV
The Last Guardian
Ratchet and Clank
Infamous: Second Son
Days Gone
Bloodborne
Detroit: Become Human
Batman Arkham Knight
Mortal Kombat X
Persona 5
Until Dawn
Resident Evil: Biohazard

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Is resident Evil biohazard just a remaster if the GameCube remake?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

John Wick of Dogs posted:

It's RE: 7

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Its 7

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

No I think it's the EU name for Resident Evil 7, the FPS PS4 game.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Bust Rodd posted:

No I think it's the EU name for Resident Evil 7, the FPS PS4 game.

Resident Evil 7: Biohazard is the EU/US title, and Biohazard 7: Resident Evil is the Japanese one.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It would be called Resident Evil Se7en

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Storm One posted:

Question about external storage on current and next-gen consoles: does it become a single-use PS/Xbox drive, or can it be partitioned?

Could the same partitioned drive be used with both PS5 and XSX or do any of the consoles demand exclusive access to the whole disk?

Both systems do "exclusive access to whole disc."

You can have a normally-formatted external that can store:

PS4 Saves (and probably PS5 saves)
PS4 Screenshots/captures
PS4 firmware updates
PS4 system backups
Media files for playing back in Windows Media Player
Anything else for PC use or whatever, it doesn't care what else is on the disc in this case.

Should be FAT32 or ExFAT formatted (latter recommended for large files).

I think the Xbox systems can use an external similarly, not 100% sure on all the nuances there.

You definitely need an external dedicated exclusively to external PlayStation game storage, and a separate one dedicated exclusively to Xbox game storage. Yes you wind up with a lot of drives.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

Arist posted:

:hmmyes:

That's my plan (And DMC5 eventually)

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

Sentient Data posted:

Ps4 repartitions the entire drive and uses a partition table that Windows doesn't natively see, so individual drives will be needed if ps5 works similarly

univbee posted:

Both systems do "exclusive access to whole disc."

You definitely need an external dedicated exclusively to external PlayStation game storage, and a separate one dedicated exclusively to Xbox game storage. Yes you wind up with a lot of drives.

Good to know, thank you both.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm glad I held off on DMCV.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

I’m gonna play demons souls, spider man again, miles morales and continue my ps4 backlog but everything runs well instead of making my launch PS4 sound like it’s hovering

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

Bust Rodd posted:

My target preorder says estimated Nov 13 to Nov 18.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

mcbexx posted:

Remember there will be a huuuuge pack of PS4 games in the PS+ Collection in November.

It'll contain

God of War
The Last of Us: Remastered
Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End
Battlefield 1
Monster Hunter World
Fallout 4
Final Fantasy XV
The Last Guardian
Ratchet and Clank
Infamous: Second Son
Days Gone
Bloodborne
Detroit: Become Human
Batman Arkham Knight
Mortal Kombat X
Persona 5
Until Dawn
Resident Evil: Biohazard

Can they only be claimed on PS5 or is it across all accounts?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

The announcement describes it as "a new PlayStation Plus benefit for PlayStation 5" but people have different interpretations of that for some reason

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

morestuff posted:

The announcement describes it as "a new PlayStation Plus benefit for PlayStation 5" but people have different interpretations of that for some reason

I mean, I'm not gonna be devastated if I can't claim them, I own most of the games on that list that interest me, might be nice to get free copies of a few I didn't play tho.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Yeah, it's a nice bonus for people signing on for the new system, but I think the people trying to pitch it as some competitor with the Gamepass are going to be disappointed

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

morestuff posted:

Yeah, it's a nice bonus for people signing on for the new system, but I think the people trying to pitch it as some competitor with the Gamepass are going to be disappointed

those 15 odd games are all better than every game on gamepass by themselves

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Real hurthling! posted:

those 15 odd games are all better than every game on gamepass by themselves

Yeah, but it's more or less a pack-in bonus, not an on-demand catalog of games with a rotating selection. It's nice but it just seems like a different thing

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

morestuff posted:

Yeah, but it's more or less a pack-in bonus, not an on-demand catalog of games with a rotating selection. It's nice but it just seems like a different thing

That's because it's not competing with GamePass, that's PSNow.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Considering that a loooooot of people won't get their hands on a PS5 before 2021, it would be weird to put this out in November and link it to the requirement to own one.

But hey weird things happen all the time, so who knows...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

My guess is that it's not something that binds to your account, it's just a thing that's accessible on PS5 if you have PS+. Like somewhat analogous to the NES/SNES games you can download on Switch if you have the Online sub. However they plan on offering it, I don't think it's going to be something that extends to be usable on a PS4. I think this exists to who prevent "team changes" from people looking into getting an Xbox instead of PlayStation strictly because of Game Pass.