Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I’m just going to assume this sucks, also they could have signed Kahun for this amount Jesus Christ

Edit: I loving hate the Pegulas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LumpyGumby
Feb 22, 2012

"Here's the world famous hockey player sitting in the penalty box for slashing..."
-Snoopy Brown
42g - 65a - 107pts
106gp - 317PIMS
Holy poo poo we got Saad for Zadorov?

I love Sakic.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
incredibly happy for Saad in Colorado

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/frank_seravalli/status/1315070470258126853

Caps with the lesser van Riemsdyk now.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

Ginette Reno posted:

So the Rangers could have had Fast for 2m per but chose to use 1 million to sign Jack Johnson.

Imagine getting paid a million dollars to wear skates.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Is he, though? At least he was an unhealthy scratch most of last season.

I don't know what a Joey Anderson is but godspeed Andreas "Mango" Johnsson, you were marginally above replacement level for a while and then got injured and sucked.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Saad on COL is interesting, I don’t really know what COL’a gaps were (goaltending?) but seems like they’re in a good place to be a top contender again

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/1314978785071181826?s=20

that is loving embarrassing

fire benning

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
The way Colarado has bounced back from a historically bad season 3 years ago is pretty impressive.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

corn on the cop posted:

i like joey anderson but you take that trade any day. fitz and the computer boys are doing some good work

in computer we trust

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
So Toronto ditched Andreas a .5 ppg player so 40pts over an 82 game season for a player with 13 points in 52 games. They swapped Kapanen, who I understand is questionable as a top 6 player, but still another .5 ppg guy for a first and replaced him with Simmonds who is 3 seasons removed from 40 and put up 9 of his 25 on the powerplay last season and 8 of 30 the year prior. Brodie is a significantly more rounded player than Barrie so I'll give credit for an improvement there. What I am getting at is for a team that has been missing depth scoring it really seems like they have downgraded big time.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Johnsson should have been traded last year, he was never going to shoot 15% again and he had Rookie Shine on him. They could have used the space to not give up a first getting rid of Marleau.

Sucks to lose him for nothing now, but it’s a flat cap world and the Leafs were over it, so :shrug:

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/frank_seravalli/status/1315085230852767752

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Depth scoring is replaceable. You need to keep a solid core of top-end players together and add/subtract pieces around them. It's why Lethonen and Mikheyev were signed, it's why Zaitsev was tossed away with depth winger Connor Brown. As much as everyone wants to think that the 3rd and 4th line must be perfect studs, they don't matter much come the post season as long as they give up less goals than they score.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Dubas really going all-in on copying Tampa Bay’s moves despite having a significantly worse roster to start with I see

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

So long as he doesn't play much, I guess he's a buffer for Sandin and Liljegren.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Seems kinda cruel to demand Spezza take league minimum and then immediately give bigger deals to Simmonds and Bogo to be almost certainly worse

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Spezza wants to be a Maple Leaf.

https://twitter.com/domluszczyszyn/status/1315085573384790017

Bogo for sure is brought in to be a bottom pairing guy that'll probably have a scratch or two every week while teaching Sandin how to pass.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Bogosian was alright for the Bolts in the playoffs. He ended up playing most of his time with Hedman, so as long as the Leafs also have the best defenseman in the league to pair alongside him it'll all work out fine.

...they don't? Oh dear

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Drunk Canuck posted:

Depth scoring is replaceable. You need to keep a solid core of top-end players together and add/subtract pieces around them. It's why Lethonen and Mikheyev were signed, it's why Zaitsev was tossed away with depth winger Connor Brown. As much as everyone wants to think that the 3rd and 4th line must be perfect studs, they don't matter much come the post season as long as they give up less goals than they score.

40 point players don't grow on tree lol.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
If he was just a little bit better he could have made Jack Johnson money

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Drunk Canuck posted:

Yeah, depth scoring will be anywhere from iffy to fine depending on if Kerfoot can bounce back and Robertson is ready.

Simmonds and Spezza are shells of their former selves but we’re still at a 30 point pace last year which is fine for a fourth line. And they’ve been pulling random guys like Engvall, Johnsson, Brown, and Mikheyev our of their asses every year to the point where it’s probably safer to assume they’ll have some random dude no ones ever heard of chip in 25-30 points than not.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

I love Mango and there is no way he's a 20-20 guy again. That was a 15% shot year and that's way above his true talent.

Flocons de Jambon
Apr 11, 2015
Johnsson played with Matthews, sure, but when he wasn't on his wing he was on the ice with like Par Lindholm or the Goat.

I think he'll be fine with Jersey if he can stay healthy, but the way he plays he probably won't stay healthy.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

That Eakin deal is a nightmare, I don't know if anyone's dined out more on a Team Canada appearance in the modern era.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

pseudodragon posted:

Yeah, depth scoring will be anywhere from iffy to fine depending on if Kerfoot can bounce back and Robertson is ready.

Simmonds and Spezza are shells of their former selves but we’re still at a 30 point pace last year which is fine for a fourth line. And they’ve been pulling random guys like Engvall, Johnsson, Brown, and Mikheyev our of their asses every year to the point where it’s probably safer to assume they’ll have some random dude no ones ever heard of chip in 25-30 points than not.

Spezza put up 7 of 25 on the powerplay. 12 of 27 the year prior on the powerplay. 11 of 26 before that. I already pointed out Simmonds also produces a large percentage of points from the powerplay. Johnsson has 12 of 67 total points from the powerplay making him a larger 5v5 contributor than both. Kap has nearly has as many shorthanded points as powerplay. Kerfoot is exactly where you would expect him considering the change in his deployment and drop in shooting percentage. The Leafs got worse. Good luck betting on nobodies.

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:

Drunk Canuck posted:

Spezza wants to be a Maple Leaf.

This breaks my heart to hear as Spezza has been my favorite player of all-time since he entered the league; at least he could go to a team that has a chance at a cup :smith:

at least he got a WC gold to go with his Spengler Cup :unsmith:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

The Athletic says Koivu had offers from at least the Flyers and Panthers, possibly more teams, and that the CBJ's purge over the last few days was a defensive move to protect against an offer sheet of PLD.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Work has been so busy (go get your flu shots people) I didnt even have the time to catch up on hockey stuff.

Bowman losing the Saad trade all three(four?) times hes done it is loving impressive at this point.

Also Crawford in NJ is 2020 continuing to suck and taunt me. :(

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Spezza put up 7 of 25 on the powerplay. 12 of 27 the year prior on the powerplay. 11 of 26 before that. I already pointed out Simmonds also produces a large percentage of points from the powerplay. Johnsson has 12 of 67 total points from the powerplay making him a larger 5v5 contributor than both. Kap has nearly has as many shorthanded points as powerplay. Kerfoot is exactly where you would expect him considering the change in his deployment and drop in shooting percentage. The Leafs got worse. Good luck betting on nobodies.

what's your obsession with depth scoring? the leafs' top six is stacked. it means they're not paying as much for the rest of their forwards and not expecting as much from them either. the leafs are one of the top teams in scoring goals in the nhl. goals scored by bottom-six guys don't count for double. it does not matter at all. they score lots of goals. they will continue to score lots of goals. their defence is also better than it was last year, and they have legitimately good prospects that are knocking on the door right this minute in Robertson and Sandin.

like sure, maybe they get lovely bounces and injuries next season and you'll have something ready to point to for their failure, but losing a dude they drafted in the seventh round a few years ago for nothing is not going to gently caress with the team's progression.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
isn't zadorov not very good?

Mike Works
Feb 26, 2003

"Hey Stan, I'll offer you Brandon Saad in exchange for the final 10 years of your life."

"My son will always be remembered as a risk-taker."

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Mike_V posted:

You are correct

LumpyGumby
Feb 22, 2012

"Here's the world famous hockey player sitting in the penalty box for slashing..."
-Snoopy Brown
42g - 65a - 107pts
106gp - 317PIMS

Mike_V posted:

Do you like hits?

Big Hits!?

Earth shattering hits!?

Then have I got good news!

....... But otherwise yeah no, he's pretty bad.

But HITZ!!!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Call Your Grandma posted:

what's your obsession with depth scoring? the leafs' top six is stacked. it means they're not paying as much for the rest of their forwards and not expecting as much from them either. the leafs are one of the top teams in scoring goals in the nhl. goals scored by bottom-six guys don't count for double. it does not matter at all. they score lots of goals. they will continue to score lots of goals. their defence is also better than it was last year, and they have legitimately good prospects that are knocking on the door right this minute in Robertson and Sandin.

like sure, maybe they get lovely bounces and injuries next season and you'll have something ready to point to for their failure, but losing a dude they drafted in the seventh round a few years ago for nothing is not going to gently caress with the team's progression.

Toronto was also #6 in goals allowed, behind elite teams like San Jose, New Jersey, Detroit, and Ottawa. Scoring a bunch of goals doesn't mean squat if you're giving up a ton too.

Quality depth absolutely matters in today's game. Everyone aside from deliberately tanking teams has a great top line, and also build lines and systems around either shutting off or at least matching an opponent's top line. Toronto convinced themselves all they needed was a great top 6 and league average goaltending, and all that's gotten them has been a bunch of first round exits and being stonewalled by David Ayres.

When their solution is to "be harder to play against" and they go out to get the loveable but broken shell of Wayne Simmonds, that is not helping.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Call Your Grandma posted:

Because while a stacked top 6 can land you 3rd the Atlantic and a first/2nd round exit it doesn't win you a cup which is what I assume the Leafs have pretentions of? Brodie goes a decent way towards shifting the balance in regards to improving the defensive side. Simmonds does not. Another year older Spezza does not. I will happily concede the point on Johnsson though, I hadn't realized he played with Matthews so much. Still leaves some larger holes in the top 6 as well though regarding depth on the wing no?

Edit: to dredge up old Pens look at Fehr and Cullen's fancies. Fehr put up 10ish points and got cratered in regards to corsi. His expected values though are neutral however. That is what a super useful depth defensive forward looks like. Cullen is an even more impressive example where he put up 30 points with 12 minutes a night and a 65% D zone start. Positive xG too. Having 4th liners that do not give away goals like kittens is hugely important for success in both the regular and postseason.

rex rabidorum vires fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Oct 11, 2020

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

So the Leafs ended up a 50/50 split team at 5v5 after being a 54% GF team the 2 years prior. On the front end this is mostly John Tavares/Marner/Kapanen being -9, -3, and -6 in regards to goals 5v5. Frederik Gaughtier, Trevor Moore, Nic Petan, Kyle Cliffor, and Dennis Malgin also had negative 5v5 outcomes. Auston Matthews gets a huge mention for being +19 in regards to goals scored at 5v5 and basically carried the team in that regard. Nylander was only +2. On the backend you have Lijegren and Sandin with -5 and -6 respectively. Everyone else except Dermontt has *nearly* 50/50 splits with Travis putting up +8 goals for 5v5. TJ Brodie was a +5 last year and +18 the year before that. Potential for a big step there. Wayne Simmonds is a net -32 over his career 5v5 and the trend is insanely obvious when you sort by season. Being a +1 or 0 up until 2010-2011 where he's -2 followed by seasons of -8, -11, -14, -12, and -14. Kapanen is a career -4 and Johnsson +19.

To get off the Leafs I'll go into the 2 guys the Pens added. Jankoswi is a career -25 goals for at 5v5. However, his expected values are all ~50-52%. Going off of Natural Stats spreadsheets he's pretty even in regards to scoring chance creations, but he is a net positive high danger creator. So if he creates as much if not slightly more than the opposition why is he such a minus in regards to 'real' outcomes. Mostly he doesn't appear to be a very good finisher. Creating 50/50 High Dangers but only seeing a 40/60 split in them being scored. I think there is some upside to this player. Most of the same applies to Evan Rodrigues who is a -21 career player. Rodrigues gets a bit more leeway from me because of his zone deployments however.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Mike_V posted:

He's the Russian version of Oleksiak:

Big hits, questionable hits defensively, but sometimes he scores a goal too

Ummagumma
Jul 19, 2004
skydog

Mike_V posted:

The Hawks have been cornering the market on "defensemen who are are bad at defense" for several years now, so he'll fit right in.

Furnaceface posted:

Work has been so busy (go get your flu shots people) I didnt even have the time to catch up on hockey stuff.

Bowman losing the Saad trade all three(four?) times hes done it is loving impressive at this point.

I get why they are trading Saad since they won't be remotely competitive without a goalie of Crawford's caliber, but the return is awful. If they want to rebuild - and I think that decision is correct - then they should have asked for picks and/or young prospects for their best remaining trade chip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Happy Canadian Thanksgiving NHL SAS, I am thankful that this week has finally exposed Jim Benning for the incompetent boob he is.